YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2006, 10:39 PM   #421
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
This is so true, at least so far as it relates to 3rd party property insurance. However, comprehensive should not be mandatory.

I only have 3rd party property damage, for the following reasons:

- After taking into account excess charges and loss of NCB, you need to be in a fairly major stack before its worth putting a claim in your comprehensive policy. I pay $396pa for 3rd party property, NRMA quoted me $1,870 for comprehensive. 2000 AUII V8 Ghia is worth around $14k-ish. Unless I'm going to write the car off or have it stolen every 10 years, I don't see any point in paying the difference. The situation was even more absurd with my EL - market value was about $7k and comprensive insurance would have been about $1,200.

Anyways, I'm insured against the damage I might do to other people. If I wreck my own car, I'll take it on the chin - its nobody elses problem except mine. Sure, if the car gets nicked or I get hit by another uninsured driver with no money, its a bummer, but again its my risk.
At least your sensible to have some type of cover. Some unfortunately think a car accident won't happen to them. I pay just over $300 for 3rd party cover for my Buick for same reason you have mentioned.
Old 31-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #422
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76
Interesting point is that some Insurance companies will actually double the excess for young drivers if they are behind the wheel of a vehicle that they are not a named driver on. Sometimes it is a lot cheaper to bite the bullet and pay the extra and have all the facts disclosed rather then find out the bad news when everything turns pear shaped...

There are also a lot of insurance compaines that actually state in their product disclosure statement that if a driver that lives at your address is not listed as a driver on the policy they will deny the claim. READ YOUR PRODUCT DISCLOSURE STAEMENT.
This is true of a lot of insurers.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #423
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
READ YOUR PRODUCT DISCLOSURE STAEMENT..
Ha ha.

No one reads it until after they claim and don't get what they thought. Idiots!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 09-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #424
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
There are also a lot of insurance compaines that actually state in their product disclosure statement that if a driver that lives at your address is not listed as a driver on the policy they will deny the claim. READ YOUR PRODUCT DISCLOSURE STAEMENT.
This is true of a lot of insurers.
You know why that is?!?!??!!

Is because of the kids, poor little kids cant afford insurance so they insure under their mummy and daddy's name.

This situation has cost insurance company's millions over the years where kids drive so called mummy and daddy's car and have an accident in it or write it off.

They are paying premiums based on the parents being the main drivers but having accidents all over the place.

ITS TIME FOR INSURANCE COMPANYS TO BIGHT BACK

and they are bighting back hard

You cant expect to get the cheapest possible policy out there and have all the thrills of Prestige Policy. eg every driver covered to drive your car

And on closing

IF EVERYONE WAS INSURED ALL INSURANCE POLICYS WOULD BE CHEAPER

If you could only pay your registration if you had motor vehicle insurance what a sweet Australia it would be

And for the people who say they cant afford it or their car is a bomb so there is no use insuring it - Get Third Party Property Damage Only, might cost you $200 for an over 25 year old.

Save you getting your *** sued of if you have an at fault accident and you are left paying for the rest of your life

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:10 PM   #425
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
You know why that is?!?!??!!

Is because of the kids, poor little kids cant afford insurance so they insure under their mummy and daddy's name.

This situation has cost insurance company's millions over the years where kids drive so called mummy and daddy's car and have an accident in it or write it off.

They are paying premiums based on the parents being the main drivers but having accidents all over the place.

and they are bighting back hard

You cant expect to get the cheapest possible policy out there and have all the thrills of Prestige Policy. eg every driver covered to drive your car

And on closing

If you could only pay your registration if you had motor vehicle insurance what a sweet Australia it would be

And for the people who say they cant afford it or their car is a bomb so there is no use insuring it - Get Third Party Property Damage Only, might cost you $200 for an over 25 year old.

Save you getting your *** sued of if you have an at fault accident and you are left paying for the rest of your life
I've just had my car fixed after a P plater reversed into it & informed my wife he had no insurance but had a mate that can fix cars what a laugh. Well the he is up for nearly $1,500 for repaires plus what adm costs my insurance company is going to add. When he gets the bill he is going to sook up big time. But it will teach him to drive around with no insurance on his car.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #426
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
This will not happen, people sook enough about insurance companies as it is, the 'bight back' will only make people sook more.
Quote:
Everyone expects everyting for nothing. Which is technically steeling! No one looks at is 'value for money'.
Quote:

It's needs to be mandatory. But will never be. After wasting money some people can't afford it and they will complain
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 23-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #427
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i learnt the hard way

i let my insurance on the torana laps and guess what

i hit a new commy hardly put a dint in it and it cost me around 10 grand

so i now have atleaast third party fire and theft on my cars

the el has full comp

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #428
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Does anybody know if you can get a 3rd party insurance policy when using a trade plate. (QLD)
i know the trade plate has the compulsury 3rd party personal, what i am looking for is a policy for property.
I use a trade plate quite regularly moving unregistered cars.
Old 24-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #429
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Does anybody know if you can get a 3rd party insurance policy when using a trade plate. (QLD)
i know the trade plate has the compulsury 3rd party personal, what i am looking for is a policy for property.
No because a car must be registered before taking out property insurance.
Old 24-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #430
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Trade plates are held by businesses that should have insurance on their cars!
Old 24-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #431
EL_Alley_Cat
Me-ow

I'm extremely povy at the moment, have very little money to my name at all (uni student) but I still manage to put fuel in my car and pay for comprehensive insurance (month by month) and save a little every week towards rego and the compulsory 3rd party insurance i cant afford to mod my car properly, so I don't, I started to need new tyres so I saved up early and got them before it became too dangerous, if I can do it anyone can!! lol
Old 24-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #432
Pyroay
SQ Champion

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What anoyes me nis you cant take out 3rd party fire and theft for the value of the vehicle.

What use is fire and therft if it only cover my car for $5k when the replacement cost of my EL would be close to $100,000k

It has to be full comp or nothing for me...

Australian National Sound Quality Champion - 2004
Victorian Sound Quality Champion - 2004
Australian National Sound Quality Champion - 2006
Australian Sound Quality National Finals - Best of Show 06
Winner Summernats 2007 - Super Tech
Winner "Ford Champion" Melb Autosalon 2004
Winner "Ford Champion" Melb Autosalon 2006
Old 25-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #433
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Trade plates are held by businesses that should have insurance on their cars!
Thats fine but what happens when you are moving other peoples cars
That said my major concern as these cars (except the new ones) ar low in value is to cover me for any damage I might do to someone elses property
Ie lapse in concentration driving old dunger and run into a GT how do I get cover for that?????????
Old 25-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #434
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroay
What anoyes me nis you cant take out 3rd party fire and theft for the value of the vehicle.

What use is fire and therft if it only cover my car for $5k when the replacement cost of my EL would be close to $100,000k

You spent near $100K on an EL.. : I am sure there are better things you could of spent 100K on....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 25-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #435
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
You spent near $100K on an EL.. : I am sure there are better things you could of spent 100K on....
Stuff knows. This is for a Ba, new engine $15,ooo, F1 procharger kit & fuel system $17,ooo, custom 9" setup $5ooo (Guess), Clutch & gear box mods $4,ooo, call it $1o,ooo for paint and another $1o,ooo for a custom interiour, $1o,ooo for an audio install.

Not to mention that this engine setup is good for 13oo+rwhp.

So $71,ooo ontop of the purchase price of the car, you wouln't be buying a new car and doing all that to it so a used Ba xr8 will run about $25,ooo-3o,ooo. Thats still only $1oo,ooo
Old 26-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #436
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroay

yeah, i think its wrong too, from when i had My EBXR6 and XG ute,
but with your car can you actually get a policy that insures for $100k? what is the premium for that amount?
Old 26-03-2006, 12:19 AM   #437
heckaz performance

:thebirds: No insurance due to writing off an EB Fairmont ghia 6 weeks after purchase. I only made one payment on it before writing it off, and buying an EF which now has a smashed rear quarter, and 2 smashed 17's. Still, shells are cheap!!!!!!!!!!!! :thebirds:
Old 26-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #438
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Stuff knows. This is for a Ba, new engine $15,ooo, F1 procharger kit & fuel system $17,ooo, custom 9" setup $5ooo (Guess), Clutch & gear box mods $4,ooo, call it $1o,ooo for paint and another $1o,ooo for a custom interiour, $1o,ooo for an audio install.

Not to mention that this engine setup is good for 13oo+rwhp.

So $71,ooo ontop of the purchase price of the car, you wouln't be buying a new car and doing all that to it so a used Ba xr8 will run about $25,ooo-3o,ooo. Thats still only $1oo,ooo
FNNN ME, dosn't take long to add up to 6 digits. But for me, If I were ever to spend that kind of money on a Ford, I would hang my self. There are much better cars you can by for 100K... However, if the car is used to generate business, I can sort of understand why he has spent the Cash.......

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 26-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #439
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba

Hey Jabba, you say some stupid things sometimes. Yeah I have spent more on my EL than buying the car but I enjoy it. There are plenty of things you could spend 100k on but Pyroay "Chose" to spend it on his pride and joy.

I’m sure his car is cheaper than kids.

Back on topic, I have full comp insurance on my car. I would leave my driveway with out.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #440
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

If Third Party Property Damage Only Insurance was compulsary when you paid registration all insurance premiums would be cheaper across the board.

They should do it like the yanks - you have to produce registration and insurance if you get pulled over and if you dont have both you are fined or the car is towed.

And you can only renew your registration if you have a current insurance policy.

All these people that complain insurance is too expensive so then they dont have any at all

Third party property damage for over 25's is $200.00

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #441
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
If Third Party Property Damage Only Insurance was compulsary when you paid registration all insurance premiums would be cheaper across the board.

They should do it like the yanks - you have to produce registration and insurance if you get pulled over and if you dont have both you are fined or the car is towed.

And you can only renew your registration if you have a current insurance policy.

All these people that complain insurance is too expensive so then they dont have any at all

Should make them pay the insurance before you can put rego on the car.
Old 26-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #442
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
If you have a legit trade plate you MUST be a business to have a trade plate.
That being the case you need a business insurance that will cover propety liability like that, it would be a complete business package.

If however you are "borrowing" a mates Trade plates YOU are not covered by the CTP offered on the trade plates and you could have some expensive problems.
Old 27-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #443
xwchick
XW's in progress

I always drive with full cover.
I have friends (with third-party cover) that had to park both there cars on the side of the road because there was no of road parking, they lost there cars because a teen driver with no insurance crashed into both cars (weighting them off) when he fell asleep behind the wheel late at night.
The court made him pay $5-$10 a week to them.
Old 27-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #444
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhemi
im 20 now and am paying less than 200 for my 3rd party fire + theft although ive had the policy for 3 years without a claim or fine
-----------------------
Old 27-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #445
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
If you have a legit trade plate you MUST be a business to have a trade plate.
That being the case you need a business insurance that will cover propety liability like that, it would be a complete business package.

If however you are "borrowing" a mates Trade plates YOU are not covered by the CTP offered on the trade plates and you could have some expensive problems.
Yes it is a legit trade plate
Yes I am a Business www.onspotpaint.com and yes you can get a complete policy for all business needs, however in small business sometimes the costs of such policies is not feasable,( a quote i was given was more than 10% of my turnover - NOT Profit - Turnover) I have been trying to get a policy JUST for the use of the trade plate
Old 28-03-2006, 01:34 AM   #446
XCGS351

I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't have insurance, you got to be a moron not to have one.

I had an accident last week I'm fully insured but the guy who I hit which was his fault has an international drivers licence and didn't have insurance. What has me dumbfounded at the moment is this guy has hired a lawyer to get his car repaired claiming I'm at fault.

So no money to pay for insurance but has money to pay for a lawyer?......WTF?
Old 28-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #447
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy
im 20 now and am paying less than 200 for my 3rd party fire + theft although ive had the policy for 3 years without a claim or fine
Just goes to show how cheap insurance is and there is no excuse on this earth not to have insurance on your car.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 28-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #448
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I have been trying to get a policy JUST for the use of the trade plate
I would try an insurance broker (actually I would try a few).

I've had some odd insurance requirements over the years and *all* could have been met.... for a price.

However, insurance (for someone of your age) should not be a prob and like most other industries is reasonably competitive.

edit: a free plug for coyote. He does *very* good work.
Old 29-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #449
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest

edit: a free plug for coyote. He does *very* good work.
Many thanks that has got to be worth a discount on your next job LOL

Have tried several brokers but they keep trying to bundle it with other things that I can not afford. and none of my existing insurers are interested on my terms either
Old 17-04-2006, 03:12 AM   #450
Craney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
I know I wouldn't like to be without insurance. How would you be if you went through a shop front or a house without it? Bankrupt I'd say.
Thats it. Rear ending a seven series beemer is one thing, swerving to avoid the wayward child/ old dude/ moron scooter courier and mounting the curb at 60 clicks for a bit of impromptu parking in the BMW showroom would be a whole other world. Long live expensive insurance.
Closed Thread