Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-12-2006, 04:45 AM   #1
Cooper69S

Default CAI ideas

gday all... got a coupla questions about CAI's for my AU2V8. i was looking at an ss inductions brochure i picked up a while ago and saw that some of them have what looks like a useful feature - they come with a kind of scoop arrangement that goes behind the grille to "ram" the air into the snorkle. I've read a lot about the ss intakes being no good, but has anyone tried that kind of scoop setup with the standard or tickford intake snorkle? does it help? would it cause any problem with water/bugs in the airbox?

other idea is a lot of people are talking about putting typhoon air boxes on BA 6's and getting 6-9rkwk improvement. do they fit AU's?

thanks
Geoff

Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Well some say they work & other say they don't. I have them fitted on mine car & every bit helps. No problems with bugs or water. In fact i have the BA XR6 wide mouth fitted to my car & it has 2 of those plates.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Most CAIs will have some sort of effect on power and perforomance, with a range of differant opinions here from good to bad this is my box of choice
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=2821
it works for me . there are a few variants around at a lot of various prices form SS, G&D,Blu Power. to Stavs fridge ,type CAI into the open search box at the top of the page to get 4 days of reading & opinions :lookedat: good luck with that!

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

BA XR8 Pod with dual intakes (snorkel plus front opening behind headlights) is what I have on both my I6 and XR8. The induction noise is fantastic on both, but I have not done back to back tests to see if it's actually produced more power. I would doubt it would be much, but I know it has helped with throttle response and is less of a restriction than the AU square box.

I6:

XR8:
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

I have a Herrod intake on the ute - basically redbaged SS inductions snorkel and a modified airbox. The snorkel itself is bloody big - you cant get your hand around it, and the box has been modified to accept it. Does quite a good job and still retains the factory snorkel+box setup.

It'll be for sale in a few weeks as I plan to put in a G&D box along with a new intake manifold.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
angryboy

Hey jc that snorkel on your xr8, is that from a stock au v8 coz it looks like the small one i got on my v8 forte before i changed it
Old 02-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

angryboy - yes it may be the stock one in that picture, but I have since fitted the BA XR6T snorkel, which is the same size as the AU2/3 XR8 tickford snorkel.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
Cooper69S

that pod setup looks nice - is it similar to the typhoon one i've been hearing about? whats it cost to convert to that pod system?

i read the post on the G&D ones - they look perfect but after the cam and profire gas injection system, i don't have the money for a G&D right now - fixing a couple of exhaust restrictions is probably more important, so for intake if the ba pod is cheap enough i might do that otherwise a xr6t snorkel plus a scoop might be worth a shot hey?
found a pic of the ss scoop here
90% of my driving is highway, so if the scoop helps at that speed i may as well make one up... can't be too hard to make something that looks ok
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Hey i also have the BA pod box type in my xr8 aswell, makes a nice growl under power and has increased the throttle response. With that scoop i had one fitted to mine but chris from bluepower removed it when it was in for a tune as it was upsetting the airflow a bit and lost 2rw. it was tried a few times with and without and just wanted to make more without it.

Shaun.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

pic...

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

or this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AU Engine.jpg (130.8 KB, 160 views)
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #12
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Anyone seen the new ss inductions (growler)?
Dont know if its for both 6 and 8...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
or this
What's that manifold?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #14
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
What's that manifold?
Trickflow
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
other idea is a lot of people are talking about putting typhoon air boxes on BA 6's and getting 6-9rkwk improvement. do they fit AU's?
i cant speak for the 6-9kw improvement but i felt a better throttle response just by installing a std BA airbox with a tickford snorkle

heres a pic

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

This is mine (dirty engine bay included)

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
angryboy

one way to get a decent cai is to run a separate pipe to the airbox along with the factory setup. Got an extra 50-80 km from a tank easy no matter how i drive.I played around with holes in the airbox, tickford snorkel did nothing really, ran the cai pipe from the air deflector on the bumper to the side of the box and it works awesome. Cost me roughly 100 bucks including the unifilter
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryboy
one way to get a decent cai is to run a separate pipe to the airbox along with the factory setup. Got an extra 50-80 km from a tank easy no matter how i drive.I played around with holes in the airbox, tickford snorkel did nothing really, ran the cai pipe from the air deflector on the bumper to the side of the box and it works awesome. Cost me roughly 100 bucks including the unifilter
Chances are it's the Unifilter giving more range, not the additional intake pipe - though the more cold air you can get in to the box, the better..

Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM   #19
angryboy

jc the unifilter was already there, i got the range from the extra pipe that was the last thing i did.Thats why i know the intake pipe did it.Why do you guys find it hard to believe that something you can do in the back shed wont work as good as a workshop modded car.If i had stuck with the unifilter and the tickford snorkel i would be struggling to get 360 from a tank.400-430 sounds better to me
Old 04-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #20
angryboy

ps to think that an aircleaner would improve fuel economy by 50-80 km is not feasable.Everyone would run unifilters
Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
jc the unifilter was already there, i got the range from the extra pipe that was the last thing i did.Thats why i know the intake pipe did it.Why do you guys find it hard to believe that something you can do in the back shed wont work as good as a workshop modded car. If i had stuck with the unifilter and the tickford snorkel i would be struggling to get 360 from a tank.400-430 sounds better to me
Because it's not likely, that's why. The amount of air you get into the airbox has no direct relationship to how much fuel you use. The accelerator pedal does that. The fact that you are sprouting that this is worth 80kms per tank, means that someone may actually believe you, and then think they're car is a dud when it doesn't happen to them. At which point, you would counter with "well, it worked for me", which doesn't prove anything.

Quote:
Got an extra 50-80 km from a tank easy no matter how i drive
Sounds like your car was running way too rich, and you r maths need some work. Your improvement is more like 40 to 70km, and it was more than likely an ECU reset/relearn that has seen an improvement in economy, or perhaps even just a clean of the filter, or new plugs, or anything that affects the actual running of the car. 400-450 is pretty standard eceonmy for a 6, and not unheard of for the V8s either. I would be more impressed if it was up around the 500 mark. This is the major reason your claim is unfounded - ie you are claiming that the kms extra you get is because of the pipe, when in fact you are not actually getting any extra kms at all, you have just managed to get your car into the "average" fuel consumption figures.

And it has nothing to do with "backyard mods" - have you seen either of mine - they are mostly backyard mods!

Old 04-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #22
angryboy

Who are you to say my claims are unfounded and how can you say that what i did on MY car didnt or wouldnt work.Why cant you agree to disagree.Because you cant possibly prove me wrong , and to think that a unifilter gives 80 km per tank is dumb
Old 04-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #23
angryboy

Default Yay unifilter gives 80km

Tried to post something about my cai but im told an extra 3 inch pipe to the airbox does nothing and that a unifilter is good for 80km extra from a tank of fuel, any questions ask JC. Geez its hard beein a newby
Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #24
angryboy

By the way it is a v8 and im sure i mentioned that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #25
angryboy

Understand this i replaced the plugs serviced the trans, motor , diff, unifilter, tickford snorkel and the fuel economy was around 350-380 roughly. With the intake pipe added it got another 50-80 km now unless your retarded its quite obvious
Old 04-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #26
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Angryboy.. settle. What JC is talking about is based on years and years of people on this site (and the previous FF site) trying many, many different CAI's. To date the only result from a CAI modification that can be readily proven is a more pronounced throttle response. Even the with the airbox I have, acknowledged as one of the best, I would not claim any greater overall power or economy. Thats not to say it's not possible, but you would be the first.

Either way, there is no need for the name calling.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 05:34 PM   #27
I6corp
Was V6corp

Arghh four posts, one after another..... edit please....
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks Casper. That's pretty much it. At least he chose the right user name! LOL.

Just to reiterate, for all those reading this thread and expecting vast economy improvement using a 3" intake pipe, well, a 3" pipe is NOT a miracle cure for fuel economy. The only cure for that is a lighter right foot, and/or an edit to stop the car running so rich.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
By the way it is a v8 and im sure i mentioned that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, you did:
Quote:
Hey jc that snorkel on your xr8, is that from a stock au v8 coz it looks like the small one i got on my v8 forte before i changed it
But that was 2 days ago, and at my age, that's too long for me to remember details, plus this thread is about CAIs in general, so I was aiming at both the 6s and V8s (especially seeing that I have one of each).

Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #30
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a I6 and looking at making a low profile airbox that I can fit a shaker top onto, with only a couple of inches of belled ducting to the throtle body. With less ducting between the airbox and t/b, this should work better then other mentioned CAI's?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post