Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2022, 12:13 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default 2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission service

Hi all,
Bit of a long shot but I'm trying to find out the recommended service interval for the auto in the 2017 era 2L petrol tucson. 6sp auto I think, non dual clutch or anything fancy.

I googled but got a lot of American info and even that varied from site to site.

I thought there might be some members on here that own one of these or have one as a second car etc. that could help me out.

I'm having a bit of a 'discussion' with a Hyundai dealer on behalf of my mum. Unfortunately she's in Qld and I'm in SA. The car is still under warranty and has started randomly giving a bit of a shudder occasionally. They discovered the trans fluid burnt, and so did a fluid flush and then charged her for it. They claimed it wasn't warranty as the trans was due for a service anyway. They then couldn't tell me the manufacturer service interval. The car has 70000km and full service history with the same dealer. Sounds to me like a classic case of trying to scam money out of the older folk.

Regarding the shudder they've said to keep monitoring it and if it's not fixed to bring it back however they won't refund the money she spent because it's been put as a trans service, which isn't a warranty item, rather than a shudder diagnosis under warranty.

I just need to know what the book says for trans service interval. I believe they are like most manufacturers and claim its not required under normal use.

Then I can argue that it wasn't due for a service and burnt fluid should be treated as a symptom rather than a cause.

So can anyone help with what the book says. Cheers.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:46 AM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2017 Hyundai Tucson transmission service

I tried a bloke I know in Sydney who I thought had one.
Unfortunately it's a 8sp Santa Fe. Sorry.

There is a F'book Tuscon group which might be of help.

https://www.facebook.com/messenger_m...IgFGCZazMJWnPQ
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #3
prydey
Rob

Thanks for trying. I'm not on fb but my wife is so might get her to look up that link.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an i30 which should have the same engine and box as the Tucson 2L.

I’ll check the book tonight when it comes home but I don’t remember seeing anything about a transmission service at this age/kms.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Just to update, my mum and dad did a bit more reading of their owners books and found the relevant sections.

As i suspected, under normal conditions it is listed quite clearly as no inspection or maintenance required.

Even under severe conditions it's due at 100000km. They don't tick any boxes in that category though.

Further to that, she mentioned the car played up again today.

Ford dealers cop a lot of flak on here but I think poor customer service can happen anywhere. It's not unusual for businesses to take advantage of the elderly either, which is also frustrating.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Just to update, my mum and dad did a bit more reading of their owners books and found the relevant sections.

As i suspected, under normal conditions it is listed quite clearly as no inspection or maintenance required.

Even under severe conditions it's due at 100000km. They don't tick any boxes in that category though.

Further to that, she mentioned the car played up again today.

Ford dealers cop a lot of flak on here but I think poor customer service can happen anywhere. It's not unusual for businesses to take advantage of the elderly either, which is also frustrating.
I thought this would be the case.

Dealers in general are the worst. It’s really poor that their dealer hasn’t really taken an interest in what’s going on and claiming maintenance.

I hope they take it further with the dealer (and they weren’t too far out of pocket).
Old 04-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Yep, she's going to take it back and show them the owners manual. The car still needs fixing so I've told her to ask for a refund ($408) and demand a loan car.

My folks aren't ancient (73 and 67) but my old man has heart issues, and like many older people when they retired, bought themselves a new car... To be fair, the dealer hasn't been too bad up until now but this is the first major problem.

Hopefully now it will get sorted properly.

A google shows there is a bit of history with gearbox issues with these cars but different symptoms, although my folks car could be at the early stages. Warranty runs out in December so at least it's documented now.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Family friends of our bought 3 IX35s for their business a number of years ago now. They were very nice cars, top of the line with leather etc. Im pretty sure they went through 2 gearboxes under warranty and they were still playing up, replaced ECU and various other stuff on them to get them to drive better but it never fixed the issue. It used to flare at take off then like clunk in to movement or something like that. I never drove them. Neverless they all got traded and they'll never buy hyandais again.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully they get a good outcome now!
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2022, 04:37 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Keep us updated with the outcome mate, dealers are scumbags with older people when it comes to this stuff. My old lady got done over and was then to embarassed to tell me about it, but was sorted with a single phone call.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:04 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Keep us updated with the outcome mate, dealers are scumbags with older people when it comes to this stuff. My old lady got done over and was then to embarassed to tell me about it, but was sorted with a single phone call.
Yeah, my folks would never argue with the dealer. It's not their nature.

I was looking through the service book when I was up there last xmas and noticed early on they had an intermediate service done. I questioned them as to why they needed the 6month one and apparently the dealer told them it needed doing. It's not the first I've heard of older people being taken for a ride and I don't think it's unique to car dealers. Sad really.

There may be a slight delay in the story as my mum texted me just a short time ago to say she's now been in an accident. Her first one ever. Not having a good time of it. Will update with how she gets on with the gearbox and refund.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:24 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I hope distress/distraction over the gearbox issue wasn’t a contributor.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This is a classic case of 5-7-10 year warranties being absolutely useless the dealers are on board to deliver on that promise!

There is a lot of pressure on the service department to make the big bucks for these companies. And I guess that leads some in these roles to push a little too far.

It's very disappointing to hear stories like this, as I'm sure there are plenty of people in these jobs who do their absolute best for their customers.

I hope all is ok with your Mum. Was the accident a result of the transmission?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2022, 08:11 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I hope all is ok with your Mum. Was the accident a result of the transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
I hope distress/distraction over the gearbox issue wasn’t a contributor.
I couldn't say.. Maybe subconsciously she was distracted?? She never mentioned the car playing up at the time so I don't think that is a factor.

Just unfortunate timing.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #15
prydey
Rob

So, after learning the gearbox was listed as maintenance free, I rang the dealer back yesterday to have another discussion around why they were charged for the flush.

I spoke with a different person, who again started to tell me it was because it was a serviceable item. I directed his attention to the owners manual. So he then changed his argument, now saying my parents were told in advance it would be charged, and they agreed to it. I argued they just wanted their car fixed and probably weren't fully aware of what was being told them. (As it happens my mum only agreed to pay because she was being told it was a serviceable item and due for a service anyway.) Again I got the feeling that I wasn't going to get anywhere. He couldn't guarantee the money would be refunded even though the problem is still there because they (the dealer) would have to submit a claim to Hyundai, and show the flush wasn't a fix. Chances are it should be refunded once the issue with the car is fixed but I couldn't get a commitment. I was told if I wanted a refund before then to take it up with Hyundai customer care.

So, I left it at that and wrote an email to Hyundai. I spoke with my mum and she asked if I could run the email by her before sending so I did. She decided what I had written was a bit harsh (I wasn't rude, I don't do things that way, just firm) and edited it. She decided to also change it to first person and send it herself.

Later last night she rang me back. She still hadn't sent the email because they decided that they were jumping the gun a bit and they'd wait until the transmission issue is fixed and give the dealer the opportunity to refund it. They'll send the email as a last resort.

I'm still a bit annoyed about how they've been treated but it may all work out in the long run, but only by accident.

I still think they shouldn't have been charged, even if the flush did fix the problem.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #16
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, I’d send the email directly to Hyundai HQ. It’s in their best interest to pull the dealers head in, the dealers more often than not push for the cash grab rather than follow what the manufacturer wants in terms of customer service.

Fingers crossed for you and your parents that it works out.

If they don’t fix or find the fix for the issue this time round, the email has got to be sent.

I think I’ve basically repeated what has already been said or thought by us all, but geez it annoys me this kind of thing.
Old 17-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

I've had a bit going in recent times, recovering from back surgery and just last weekend, walking my daughter down the aisle. My mum came down so it reminded me of this saga, which as it happens, is still ongoing.

So to update, the fluid flush didn't solve anything. The car still randomly misbehaved with shuddering. I also learned the gearbox is in fact a dual clutch job.

So the dealer eventually agreed to replace the gearbox. On the way home from picking it up it seemed to still play up but she wasn't sure. The next day she drove it again and this time it definitely played up. Back to the dealer and now they claimed the spark plugs were to blame. Again, the car has 70,000 km and plugs aren't due until 100k km. Not willing to pay dealer price for the plugs my dad decided to buy some himself (same ngk ones that came out of it) and fitted them himself. I couldn't see how they could possibly make a difference but since doing the plugs, the shudder seems to have gone.

They old gearbox was definitely faulty as they found metal in the oil when they eventually did replace it.

Fast forward a couple of months and now my mum says that occasionally the car feels like the brakes are coming on when driving. Still seemingly gearbox related. May possibly also be a relearning thing. I'm not sure. She spoke with dad this morning and he reported that it seemed all fixed suddenly. Fuel economy also has come back down.

I'm going up there over xmas so I'm going to see if I can't get the $450 refunded for the original fluid flush. Hyundai said that's between my parents and the dealer.

Another thing I'm really not happy about is that when they were still having issues after the gearbox was replaced my dad managed to find out that they used a refurbished gearbox, not a new one. Is this even allowed under warranty? Surely they would have to let you know up front if there was theft option of using 2nd hand parts.

I'm now trying to get them to move it on but they don't have a lot of money (retired pensioners) and when it's working they actually like the car.

So yeah, not great. Not sure it's over yet.
Old 17-12-2022, 07:07 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I thought the DCT trans in these things we're behind the turbo 1.6l, if thats what it is it'll be the 7sp.
Seeing as Hyundai and Kia share parts I'd say its probably the same 7sp DCT that was supposedly troublesome in the Kia Cerato GT
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Actually yes, I was right the first time. It's just a conventional 6sp auto looking at the same cars on carsales. Not sure why my old man was telling me it was dual clutch.

I'll be up there in a week so I'll try to at least get them their $450 back.