Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR6 Cam into base AU engine

Will an AU XR6 HP cam makes any gains in an AU futura without the extra stuff like ECU, regulator etc.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: XR6 Cam into base AU engine

No...
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the hp's run a lot more compression , my old one ran 225psi cold cranking . my stock au was about 190 psi.
i was think about fitting a vct cam in my hp motor before i sold the car..
you would think it would have to gain something?
dose jim moch and gnd still do cams for au's , might be worth a look.
Old 28-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5 View Post
the hp's run a lot more compression , my old one ran 225psi cold cranking . my stock au was about 190 psi.
The compression ratio is actually the same across all 3 I6's, 9.65:1.
Quote:
i was think about fitting a vct cam in my hp motor before i sold the car..
you would think it would have to gain something?
The grinds are so similar, that on there own, they make no noticeable difference.
In combination with the slight difference in the combustion chamber, ECU, and diff ratio, the difference is quite noticeable and measurable.
Quote:
dose jim moch and gnd still do cams for au's , might be worth a look.
JMM unfortunately closed shop some time back.
I still have an AU DEV5 cam sitting here which I'm getting a master made...
Old 28-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JMM made some good cams , i ran a street fighter thats what he called it in my old au 5spd lukey headers and 2.5 sport zorst it pulled 159 rwk , was chasing my tail ever since with that car...
have to disagree with the rest mate , had a series 1 stocko rbduild pumped 185 psi the original s2 pumped 190 and s1 xr6 hp 225 .
this is the same gauge on all motors.
theres quite a bit of diff between duration and lift on the cams , what that relates to in actual hp ??? anyone done it yet?
if my old build thread is still on here it's got every thing i ever done on it.
Old 28-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #6
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres the old build thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=94360
Old 28-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Those figures you're getting won't be representative of the actual static compression of the engine.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5 View Post
JMM made some good cams , i ran a street fighter thats what he called it in my old au 5spd lukey headers and 2.5 sport zorst it pulled 159 rwk , was chasing my tail ever since with that car...
I used their stuff too, my old XH made 174rwkw and ran 14.4 @ 97mph.
Quote:
have to disagree with the rest mate , had a series 1 stocko rbduild pumped 185 psi the original s2 pumped 190 and s1 xr6 hp 225 .
You may disagree, but you'd be wrong.
They are all 9.65:1 CR across the board.
A compression test is dynamic, and somewhat different to the static compression ratio.
Quote:
this is the same gauge on all motors.
theres quite a bit of diff between duration and lift on the cams , what that relates to in actual hp ??? anyone done it yet?
There's bugger all difference in duration and lift, from memory less than 0.020" extra lift on the inlet, and in fact around 0.015" less exhaust lift.
The cams on there own make no noticeable difference. Been there, done it.
Old 29-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no worries mate , just saying the numbers i got.
that hp motor i put in my au ran a lot harder then the original standard motor. this was with the stock ecu to .
Old 30-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Google search came up with this comment from Wade Cams

Quote:
I would first pre-empt what l'm about to say by stating that l have no desire to get into an argument with anyone about what the Ford workshop manual says or what any Ford technical data might suggest....If you disagree with my remarks, that's fine, I'll make no further comment.

With respect to the E series XR6 cam, we've checked it physically, twice, on our cam doctor gizmo and the difference between it and a standard cam is, how shall put it from a technical perspective.....BUGGER ALL.

The performance gains achieved by the XR6 engine cannot, for the most part, be attributed to the cam. If you want a performance cam, get one from any one of the camshaft organisations that are frequently mentioned on this forum, which includes Wade Cams.

The AU XR6 camshaft on the other hand is a different proposition altogether.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post