Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-06-2023, 07:12 PM   #5041
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Chasing the tailend of all those little fiddly jobs left on my VE repair. Replaced the last damaged AC lines, new seals, all nipped up nicely. Go to plug in the pressure switch and no dice. Reaching under the chassis rail with camera on selfie mode showed half the donor switch’s harness plug tip is still in there:
Retrieval will be fun.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2023, 07:18 PM   #5042
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Chasing the tailend of all those little fiddly jobs left on my VE repair. Replaced the last damaged AC lines, new seals, all nipped up nicely. Go to plug in the pressure switch and no dice. Reaching under the chassis rail with camera on selfie mode showed half the donor switch’s harness plug tip is still in there:
Retrieval will be fun.
Took a little noise out of the pic.

Old 18-06-2023, 08:45 PM   #5043
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

self rightous knobs on motorised scooters on the road, but today I got my jollies. Riding shotgun with a mate and I had a nice big water blaster gun, come up beside them hit the air horns then liberal shower as we go past.
Mind you earlier model cars were better you could turn the screen washer thing on the bonnet sideways............
Old 18-06-2023, 10:32 PM   #5044
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
self rightous knobs on motorised scooters on the road, but today I got my jollies. Riding shotgun with a mate and I had a nice big water blaster gun, come up beside them hit the air horns then liberal shower as we go past.
Mind you earlier model cars were better you could turn the screen washer thing on the bonnet sideways............

Did you feel cool and tough?
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #5045
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

YUP
Old 19-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #5046
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Nearly took one out last night near home.
Dark narrow street, poor lighting and suddenly there's a single white light coming towards me, extremely bright.
Thought it was a motor cycle.
Nope, 2 little fookers on a scooter without a care in the world, up onto the verge.
They're a blight on our roads.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2023, 06:39 PM   #5047
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Working outdoors is the pits sometimes.

I often have customers say "you have such a great job"............usually on a beautiful sunny spring or autumn day. But where are those people on a day like today?

The temperature never cracked 5.0 deg all day and was still 3.6 deg at 12pm with thick fog still lingering till 1pm. I can normally take the cold over the summer heat and humidity, but today sucked.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #5048
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

I often have customers say "you have such a great job"............usually on a beautiful sunny spring or autumn day. But where are those people on a day like today?

The temperature never cracked 5.0 deg all day and was still 3.6 deg at 12pm with thick fog still lingering till 1pm. I can normally take the cold over the summer heat and humidity, but today sucked.
What kind of pits? One of the jobs i did in winter a while back was pulling cables through pits. They were all full of stinky stagnant water that had to be sucked out. So being cold to start with then going shoulder deep into even colder stinky water... yeah that was fun. It took days to get the stink off me.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2023, 06:57 PM   #5049
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:

Agreed, sometimes, it can be too cold. I remember badly cutting the side of my thumb through the glove with sécateurs in Tasmania, 2° at 11AM and didn’t bleed until it warmed up later on.

I love dry, cold sunny days for digging and trenching.
6 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2023, 08:59 PM   #5050
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Try working night shift when its raining and freezing cold out in the open weather, then you will have something to grizzle about, this is what I do in my employment on many s***** nights in Melbourne.
I would gladly do day work and be home every night in the warmth of my house.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2023, 09:25 AM   #5051
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Aww, diddums.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #5052
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I think the lesson out of this is that, generally, as bad (or as good) as you think you have something, there's typically someone else that is worse (or better) off than you.

That doesn't invalidate how you feel or mean that it's not the worst (or best) for you relatively, just that in absolute terms, you're not likely at the extreme.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2023, 05:55 PM   #5053
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

A regular pet hate for anyone in garden maintenance, found another stash/dung-heap of dead foliage the owner had pulled/broken off various shrubs and “hidden” in the garden. Fibrous stuff like cordyline leaves, so it doesn’t break down quickly either.

I don’t understand why they don’t either put in the green bin themselves, or leave it where it’s obvious to aid in cleaning up, or just leave it the heck alone and ask me (or someone else!) to deal with it.
4 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #5054
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

Well, apparently yesterday was the coldest on record for the town. For context, winter maximums usually range between 10 and 17 deg in this region. So a maximum of 5 deg was always going to be noticed.

As part of my job, I also maintain office plants. I had to restrain from commenting when one of the workers in an office was complaining about how cold she was yesterday........... indoors with the heat on. Sorry love, try working outdoors!
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2023, 11:44 PM   #5055
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, apparently yesterday was the coldest on record for the town. For context, winter maximums usually range between 10 and 17 deg in this region. So a maximum of 5 deg was always going to be noticed.

As part of my job, I also maintain office plants. I had to restrain from commenting when one of the workers in an office was complaining about how cold she was yesterday........... indoors with the heat on. Sorry love, try working outdoors!
Freezing day today and expecting the same again. Im upstairs and its cold.
Downstairs is currently being renoed so open area and the back section is warehouse with big rollerdoor.
First thing tmrw I am helping with stocktake down there. Being new here I asked what do I need other than warm clothes. Answer was A positive attitude.
Oh no.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 08:58 AM   #5056
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A regular pet hate for anyone in garden maintenance, found another stash/dung-heap of dead foliage the owner had pulled/broken off various shrubs and “hidden” in the garden. Fibrous stuff like cordyline leaves, so it doesn’t break down quickly either.

I don’t understand why they don’t either put in the green bin themselves, or leave it where it’s obvious to aid in cleaning up, or just leave it the heck alone and ask me (or someone else!) to deal with it.
Laziness is the usual issue. I'm trying to educate my brother on the most efficient way of pruning & packing the cut material into the green waste bin.
He lops stuff off, piles it up on a heap & then comes back to it a week or two later & tries to thrust the now dead & stiff/dried up material into the garden bin - usually resulting in only a few branches being able to be inserted.
I drag the bin to where I'm pruning & cut the green material into 12-18 inch lengths which can be easily inserted in to the waste bin straight away & which lie reasonably flat & therefore allow a lot more material to be loaded in - especially if you clamber on top & jump on it to compact the load.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 09:42 AM   #5057
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Following on from the cold theme, I had to paint the inside of an enclosed verandah last night, can’t do it during the day, building is occupied. Had heaters going, pull the paint brush out, it was like spreading slime around, it wouldn’t stick to anything. Too cold. Customer not happy, but what can you do?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 23-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #5058
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It seems illogical, but I’ve had decent results with Floetrol in very cold weather.

Still - might have just been too cold/dewy, fullstop! Under 10° acrylic can take hours to set up, even when brushed fairly thin.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 02:47 PM   #5059
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Winter can be so lovely and very invigorating.
Was up on the roof today re-orientating a couple of solar panels to suit a new battery bank. Every time I climbed up the ladder it would stop raining, minute I would climb down it would pour.
After several ups and downs dodging the rain on a job which should normally take an hour, ended up consuming half the bloody day.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2023, 03:22 PM   #5060
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

My mum's friend, in her early to mid seventies, had a bit of a fall a couple of weeks ago whilst doing her gardening. She stopped her fall, but hurt her wrist in the process.

A couple of days later, and the wrist was still sore. Couldn't get in to see a doctor so asked her chiropractor if he could authorise an x-ray., which he could, and did.

X-ray gets done, and the radiologist advises that there is a very small fracture in her wrist. She takes it to the chiro who looks at the x-rays and he determines, by the fact that the same mark appears to be in the same location on the x-ray media in several images, that it is not a fracture and is just some sort of foreign body on the imaging.

I was out for dinner with this lady and said that I'd take the word of the radiologist over the chiro, as that is their field of expertise and not the field of expertise of the chiro. She gets upset with me and tells me that she disagrees and that she trusts the chiro more than the radiologist!

I couldn't believe it. I mean, seriously! You've got a person whose training is to take medical images and how to interpret them, and then you've got a person who is trained in how to manipulate skeletal structures. C'mon.

And this is the same guy who decided to manipulate my mum after she had a fall from a ladder on to her back, before she'd had an x-ray. It turned out my mum had actually done damage to her spine and his actions had the potential to seriously harm my mum! And yet, they still believe in him! His actions were incompetent, if not negligent.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #5061
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have just discovered that SSV front bumpers for the VE Commodore, use a unique grille - which I don’t have.
#thereifixedit #sinking

Last edited by Citroënbender; 23-06-2023 at 05:41 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 06:36 PM   #5062
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that will serve you right gloating about Holdens on a Ford Forum
Old 23-06-2023, 07:22 PM   #5063
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Winter can be so lovely and very invigorating.
Was up on the roof today re-orientating a couple of solar panels to suit a new battery bank. Every time I climbed up the ladder it would stop raining, minute I would climb down it would pour.
After several ups and downs dodging the rain on a job which should normally take an hour, ended up consuming half the bloody day.
For sure!

There is a certain smell to winter, the crispness of the air on a frosty morning or as the sun starts to go down and the night chill sets in is especially pleasing.

I get super nostalgic about the smell of a wood burning heater, which wafts through the air in country, reminding me of my childhood collecting firewood on a Saturday with my dad for the pot belly stove in the garage. I learnt how to drive firewood hunting, driving an old Mitsubishi Triton single cab chassis with NO power steering and NO assisted clutch, or an EB Falcon Gli wagon, which would go sideways very easily on a gravel road.

Or going to the footy on a Saturday afternoon with my sister and our friend.............after 1/2 time so my dad didn't have to pay for us to enter the ground. I despise football, then and now, but it was all about the company. Our friend's father had a gold 1985 Fairlane with the most schizophrenic alarm system fitted. The trick was for two of use to hide in the boot, then when someone was walking past, the person in the front seat would hit the boot release and panic alarm and then we would leap out of the boot and frighten the crap out of the person walking by. None of this happened in the summer, always in winter at the footy.

So yes, winter has its perks.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 09:01 PM   #5064
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
My mum's friend, in her early to mid seventies, had a bit of a fall a couple of weeks ago whilst doing her gardening. She stopped her fall, but hurt her wrist in the process.

A couple of days later, and the wrist was still sore. Couldn't get in to see a doctor so asked her chiropractor if he could authorise an x-ray., which he could, and did.

X-ray gets done, and the radiologist advises that there is a very small fracture in her wrist. She takes it to the chiro who looks at the x-rays and he determines, by the fact that the same mark appears to be in the same location on the x-ray media in several images, that it is not a fracture and is just some sort of foreign body on the imaging.

I was out for dinner with this lady and said that I'd take the word of the radiologist over the chiro, as that is their field of expertise and not the field of expertise of the chiro. She gets upset with me and tells me that she disagrees and that she trusts the chiro more than the radiologist!

I couldn't believe it. I mean, seriously! You've got a person whose training is to take medical images and how to interpret them, and then you've got a person who is trained in how to manipulate skeletal structures. C'mon.

And this is the same guy who decided to manipulate my mum after she had a fall from a ladder on to her back, before she'd had an x-ray. It turned out my mum had actually done damage to her spine and his actions had the potential to seriously harm my mum! And yet, they still believe in him! His actions were incompetent, if not negligent.

I had a crook back many years ago in which I was referred to chiropractor, long story short the mug nearly butchered me after about 6 months of remedial service that got me nowhere, but more pain, eventually I was referred to a massage therapist who in 3 sessions fixed my back problem.
I have vowed I will never have anything to do with chiropractors nor recommend these butchers.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2023, 12:50 AM   #5065
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Have just discovered that SSV front bumpers for the VE Commodore, use a unique grille - which I don’t have.
#thereifixedit #sinking
Hmmmm, i see the issue. Pretty sure you need a grill with a bow tie badge on it, especially if its a v6....
My gripe of the day is speed bumps in car parks. So granted the shift is what people drive is more towards crossovers and suv's, hi rider dual cabs and such so the stupidly large speed humps in car parks arent an issue to those people. But why have speed bumps got so large? I drive a car. Yep, no acronyms for a 4 door sedan. Seen mount everest today in a car park today so came to a stop and proceded with caution. Gotta love the gentle thud once the front wheels are over the peak, then the scrape of the guts of the car, once the rear gets over, you know its done when you hear the ting of the muffler on the hump. No, my car is not lowered.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2023, 06:45 PM   #5066
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

School holidays + the first sunny day in a while meant all the grumpy old ladies decided to come through the doors today.

If it's not enough having screaming kids crawling all over the place (we do mini golf as a way of supplementing the core business), having to contend with cranky old ladies who think it's their right to be rude and ignorant made for a frustrating day.

One woman asked me "are you just the cleaner or do you know anything?". Clearly my attempts in growing a beard to look older and more knowledgeable are not working.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2023, 06:52 PM   #5067
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

By coincidence I was at a wholesale nursery today and the phone was absolutely going off the hook. So it must be driven by social chatter as well, we’re not physically getting the same “early spring” vibes as Wiz and FGX have observed.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #5068
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DFB FGXR6 hook a piece of 4x2 onto your belt, engraved in black letters "I am not afraid to use this"

another smart little trick leave small buckets of red jelly beans or red licorice around in small bowls with sign ..."please try, free to all kidies"
Old 30-06-2023, 01:40 PM   #5069
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Go to McDougalls, against my better judgement. $14.20 is the total, so I hand over $24.20 in order to minimalise my shrapnel intake... "Oh, I don't need all of this" says the chick... And hands back my coinage... "It would be easier to keep it and just give me a ten back" says I... Nope...
And then.... She proceeds to give me $5.80 in coins...
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2023, 04:45 PM   #5070
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351 View Post
Go to McDougalls, against my better judgement. $14.20 is the total, so I hand over $24.20 in order to minimalise my shrapnel intake... "Oh, I don't need all of this" says the chick... And hands back my coinage... "It would be easier to keep it and just give me a ten back" says I... Nope...
And then.... She proceeds to give me $5.80 in coins...
I don't think the chick liked you usually shops will always take small change from you.
2 users like this post: