Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you buy a diesel Falcon?
Yeah sure 140 49.30%
Not a chance 88 30.99%
If it doesnt sound like a truck 56 19.72%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Would you buy a diesel Falcon?

So, the terri is getting a new oiler within the next year or so. Hypothetically, if Ford were to put this engine option in the fg update, would you opt for the diesel? or stick with the I6?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Needs to be pretty sophisticated and keep Falcon DNA - which is to handle and accelerate well with RWD. If it's available in high spec version (G6ETD) then yes, it would be on the worth-serious-consideration list.

Although it still worries me that it's only the 2.7 going into the Tezza, and not the 3.0. But we'll see.

Lukeyson
Old 18-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the characteristics of the petrol engine, if i wanted economy i`d go gas before small diesel any day, and i`m not sold on small diesels longevity and cost of repairs if they fail.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

its funny how people bag the egas because its a lot slower in performance compared to the petrol equivelent, and yet many of the same critics think a diesel option is a good thing.

diesels work well in large cars (suv/4wd) as they have a lot of useable torque, however they don't rev and they fall short in performance characteristics. these are things people take for granted in the family car, be it holden commodore, toyota aurion or ford falcon.

the only manufacturers that offer diesel power in a similar sized sedan are manufacturers that sell the same products on a world stage.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
, and i`m not sold on small diesels longevity

in heavy vehicles, they'll do over a million before being rebuilt to go another million.

probably slightly different to passenger vehicles but they last longer than petrol motors. they are operating at much lower rpms during their life so they do tend to last.

having said that, if you try to drive it like a petrol, it probably isn't the best for it. a lot of diesels make their peak torque and power quite low so there is very little benefit in revving them out.
Old 18-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A diesel Falcon ?!?!?! Not a snowflakes chance in hell that I would ever buy a diesel Falcon. Diesel's are not fun or rewarding powerplants for a rwd sedan with sporting pretensions.

As others have said, LPG would certainly get a look in.
LPG XR6T would almost certainly be on the purchasing radar, should power & torque numbers be healthy enough...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would own one in a heartbeat if it were a turbo diesel (around 2.8-3.0L min).

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
its funny how people bag the egas because its a lot slower in performance compared to the petrol equivelent, and yet many of the same critics think a diesel option is a good thing.

diesels work well in large cars (suv/4wd) as they have a lot of useable torque, however they don't rev and they fall short in performance characteristics. these are things people take for granted in the family car, be it holden commodore, toyota aurion or ford falcon.

the only manufacturers that offer diesel power in a similar sized sedan are manufacturers that sell the same products on a world stage.
You may want to look up the performance of the Twin Turbo 3.0 Diesel XF Jaguar,
I think you'll be astounded to see how well a diesel can perform and still give
a combined of 6.7 to 6.9 l/100klm.

Unless the government is subsidising LPG, most private new car buyers are not interested.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure that I would buy one ... but I think my Fleet Manager would just love to convert all of the utes in the fleet to diesel.

BTW, the BMW diesels get along quite nicely and are highly regarded in Europe. No reason why Ford Oz could get a G6E diesel to be considered in the same light.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You may want to look up the performance of the Twin Turbo 3.0 Diesel XF Jaguar,
I think you'll be astounded to see how well a diesel can perform and still give
a combined of 6.7 to 6.9 l/100klm.

Unless the government is subsidising LPG, most private new car buyers are not interested.
i know how well the euro diesels go, but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought the falcon would end up with one of those.
Old 18-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i know how well the euro diesels go, but you'd be kidding yourself if you thought the falcon would end up with one of those.
Oh for sure, but you wouldn't be paying an XF price for it either...

There could be a big pool of buyers out there that would gladly pay a premium for diesel
but we'll never know because Ford has decided to go the I-4 Ecoboost route.

For the past five years or so, Ford has badly under read the Aussie marker regarding diesel.
They are either deadly slow in delivery or completely missing in key areas.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been driving a diesel sedan for a while now. The caltex servos in the area all have dedicated hand wipe stations the diesel pumps. I just use one of them to wipe down the handle first
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm no car expert but I'v always favoured and purchased Ford over it's Holden equivelant because of how the inline 6 'feels'. Diesel would totally kill the way Falcon felt and revved and sounded etc, even if they were to keep a similar motor for a diesel option, it just wouldn't be a Falcon, like a FWD falcon, Certainly not for me, I'd go gas ahead of diesel. I'm with FALCONXR6 above^^

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it were the right diesel then yes i would.

Driven a few of the V8 diesel Cruser utes and they are grate, the sound of the V8 diesal at idle is wicked and still pumps out a good noat
Old 18-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

Had the pleasure of driving an '08 F250 this week (mate of mines, personal import). Gotta say, wasn't a big diesel fan prior to that, but I tell you what, if they could shoehorn that 6.4 twin turbo diesel V8 under the bonnet of a Falcon ute (perferably an RTV), I'd be at the dealer laying down a deposit today.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Man
Had the pleasure of driving an '08 F250 this week (mate of mines, personal import). Gotta say, wasn't a big diesel fan prior to that, but I tell you what, if they could shoehorn that 6.4 twin turbo diesel V8 under the bonnet of a Falcon ute (perferably an RTV), I'd be at the dealer laying down a deposit today.
The 6.4 hammers, but nothing compared to the 2011 Silverado 6.6. Ohhhh what a drive!!! It goes absolutely ballistic! 0-100 in 7.7 seconds, quarter mile in 14.6 seconds. Not bad considering it weighs 3.5 metric tonnes. 20mpgs too!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #17
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
A diesel Falcon ?!?!?! Not a snowflakes chance in hell that I would ever buy a diesel Falcon. Diesel's are not fun or rewarding powerplants for a rwd sedan with sporting pretensions.
Neither are automatics but look how many roll out of the factory with them. Fact is a decent diesel in the Falcon will give the I6 turbo a run for its money and lets not talk about how much cheaper it will be to run, including servicing.
Compare a 530i to a 530d and see how the diesel beats it in every aspect (apart from spinning to 7000rpm).
BMW, Merc, Audi, pretty much all of Europes manufacturers aren't wrong, or do a few car enthusiasts at the **** end of the world think they know better?
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Diesels do not interest me in the slightest. If wanted cheaper running costs i'd go LPG.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #19
GK351

I would trade the TDI golf and buy one straight away.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
Wardo

A turbo diesel with a 6 speed auto sounds pretty good to me. All the performance you ever need (maybe not want) at well below 10l/100km.
Old 18-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for me i prob would if

1. it is in a good price rangeand not to out there

2. if it didnt sound like a truck i hate the rattly things alot of them are

3. If i had the $$$ and ability to pay it back

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

Double post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im in IF:
Its rear wheel drive
If I could afford it (2.9% p/a finance ala Toyota sound good?)
Old 18-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I would wanna know the price premium before I would consider it . But the E-gas would prob be a better buy as the savings would be recouped quicker. The only thing the diesel would have over the E-gas is boot space.

Mind you the diesel with a well geared 6 speed auto should be a good combo.
Old 18-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
BMW, Merc, Audi, pretty much all of Europes manufacturers aren't wrong, or do a few car enthusiasts at the **** end of the world think they know better?

like i mentioned earlier, all those companies have a global product. it means development costs and production costs are spread over a much larger base.

i don't think the aussie car makers are wrong - i think they know better than most think what will sell and what won't. Ford as a company have a lot more infomation at hand than a few forum members so i think they are much better qualified to make the decisions they do.

the commodore sells at 4000units/month (give or take) and there is no diesel option. have they got it wrong also?

i guess these are my opinions, so, no - i wouldn't buy a diesel falcon. diesel is still twice the price of lpg and liquid injected lpg systems are cheaper to run and offer plenty of power.
Old 18-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #26
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

No for me, oil burners just arent my cup of tea. Even if for all intended purposes are equal and/or better than a petrol counterpart.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #27
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

No, if I wanted a diesel in a larger car I'd go a Mondeo or a Passat.

Quote:

LPG XR6T would almost certainly be on the purchasing radar, should power & torque numbers be healthy enough...
Audi, Jag & BMW would like to have a word with you.

Falcon sporty? I don't think so. It is a family car 1st. A little extra oomph and a slightly tuned suspension doesn't equal sporty.

Last edited by Wretched; 18-07-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #28
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not sure Jag XF owners with the 3 litre diesel would agree with you.
That engine in a FG sedan would haul ***
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #29
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they did have an ECOboost 2.0 4pot and a Diesel and RWD??..... hmmm, can anyone say Europe exports???? G6E would be a high value proposition in the EU... Big, cruisy and economical... if a TDV6 Disco can get under 9/10 litres per 100, and the falcon weighs the best part of 600kg less imagine the economy of a Falcon..... im sure if OneFord comes to fruition, there is your RWD BMW/MERC/JAG comparible spec, cut price offering...

I would gladly get one if i was in the market.... im a massive diesel convert.... especially watching my fuel consumption around town....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #30
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

mmm

A diesel Falcon would be a good thing.

If the 3.0 V6 performs so well and delivered sub 10 fule consumption numbers in a Discovery imagine what it could do in a Falcon which is 1.2 tonne lighter.

It will never have V8 burble or straight 6 snarl, but fuel efficiency would be brilliant.