Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 19-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Default FORD TX5 - rev / RPM problem

Hi there

I recently had to replace my distributor on my 1993 manual Ford TX5. Unfortunately I had to use a refurbished one. Ever since then, it developed this annoying RPM problem.

The REVS drops too quickly for smooth gear changing. I try to drive my car carefully, thus don’t change gears fast. But now with this new refurbished distributor, the REVS (RPM) drops too quickly for smooth gear change. Especially for 1st to 2nd then to 3rd. From 4th onwards, it’s fine.

Before the distributor failed, I was able to change gears smoothly, even when doing it slowly. I’m not sure if the distributor has anything to do with it to be honest.

Does anyone know how one can make the RPM needle drop slower so that I don’t get a jerky gear change please? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

WineAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

either the dissy or the efi engine computer may be at fault
undo the battery terminals to reset the computer

if still no better a diagnostic may be required
Old 23-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Thanks 'dirty hands'.

How long do you think I have to keep the battery disconnected? After the distributor was replaced, I installed some seat covers to protect my leather seats. Since the driver has an electric seat, I did disconnect the battery.

My gear change & the rev problem didn't go away. For how long should the battery be disconnected?

Thank you for your advice so far. At least I can ask Ford now to test something, regarding my RPM problem.

Enjoy your week.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
laser_power
Starter Motor

just diconnect the battery and put your foot on the brake peddal to drain any power that was left in the car for about a minute or 2....
laser_power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Thanks 'laser_power'

That's an excellent idea : I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
coop1er
Starter Motor

What happens when the air conditioner comes on? Does the idle drop or does it maintain speed or slightly increase speed. The reason I ask is the IAC may be faulty or poorly setup.
coop1er is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Cool

Hi coop1er

If I'm not mistaken, it's quite normal for a car to loose bit power when the AC goes on.

Before I had the distributor replaced, I noticed it does look like the RPM needle drops a bit when the AC is on.

Now with the refurbished distributor, it does exactly the same, but it definitely feels like it has lost more power for when the AC is on. With more power, I mean V6 engine power.

But luckily the RPM needle doesn't drop too much that it causes the engine to stall. But it sure looks like the AC is drawing more power than it used to.

Thank you for that question. What might be the fault in this scenario then?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
coop1er
Starter Motor

If the idle control valve isnt working then when the a/c comes on at idle, revs will drop. Also when you are changing gears and take your foot off the accelerator the ecu should open the idle control valve a bit to prevent the revs from dropping too low.

Did you set the timing correctly? It should be 10 degrees btdc at 650rpm with the ten &gnd terminals bridged in the little diagnostic box.
coop1er is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
WineAnt
Starter Motor

Geez, thank you once again coop1er for the advice.

I don't consider myself a mechanic, thus won't adjust anything related to the engine myself. That I'll leave to the Ford experts.

My next service is due soon. Thus with all these things you mentioned, like checking the idle control valve, check the ecu & also confirm the timing (which should be 10 degrees btdc at 650rpm with the ten &gnd terminals bridged in the little diagnostic box) I'm going to ask the mechanics to inspect and diagnose all the things you've mentioned, besides my standard service.

Seriously, thank you coop1er for all the advice. I really appreciate it. My TX5 is my baby & I would like to keep it in its best, original form possible.

Enjoy your weekend
coop1er