Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

LINK to Videos: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/02/ford-straps-engineers-in-2013-taurus-sho-with-carl-edwards-hila/

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

I wannna drive! If the new falcon is as good as that then i am in
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Re: Videos: Ford straps engineers in 2013 Taurus SHO with Carl Edwards, hilarity ensues

Very nice, quite like the styling aswell.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
aussie_rabbit

So do we get it here and at what price ?
aussie_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Fun advert!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_rabbit
So do we get it here and at what price ?
If it comes here, its FWD/AWD Falcon..... 2 tonne of sports sedan
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
If it comes here, its FWD/AWD Falcon..... 2 tonne of sports sedan
Next gen AWD Taurus will be same weight as I-6 Falcon.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Buntz
Straight Eight

'Famous NASCAR driver Carl Edwards continues to wrestle the fat Taurus and flicking it around the track making it look trick.... as suddenly Famous V8SC driver Mark Winterbottom passes him on a crest in a much lighter, more powerful XR6 Turbo. Then the rest of the clips show Frosty properly drifting around the track overtaking Mr Edwards.'

Show me that movie.

Not really drifting as he's giving the car the ol' Scandinavian flick around every corner. Watch him sharply throw that wheel in to every corner, to make the whale kick it's tail out. Then brings it back with opposite lock.

BTW. This AWD system only gives slip to the rear wheels when the fronts lose grip. Don't think your getting some out and out sports saloon.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Next gen AWD Taurus will be same weight as I-6 Falcon.
Whoopty doo. FoA had/has a working plan on dropping weight off of Falcon with each new model.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

How unusual to advertise how much fun a performance car is!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If that's what we might get as a falcon replacement, that's ok with me! It would want to be that and not some watered down wannabe though.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

If SVT does a Fusion, it would probably be faster than the SHO. But I think it would need a V6.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That ad could never run in nanny state Australia . My god someone actually having fun in a car in a controlld environment , Harold XXXXXXX Scrubby wil be having kittens at how many people will be killed just by watching those videos .
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Did scruby just create that pedestrian council and make himself their king? I'm a pedestrian when I take my dog for a walk or can't be bothered driving and I dont want him representing me.
The taurus is a tasty bit of kit no doubt and that ad is awesome; unfortunately anything with fun in it is banned. Or taxed.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
'Famous NASCAR driver Carl Edwards continues to wrestle the fat Taurus and flicking it around the track making it look trick.... as suddenly Famous V8SC driver Mark Winterbottom passes him on a crest in a much lighter, more powerful XR6 Turbo. Then the rest of the clips show Frosty properly drifting around the track overtaking Mr Edwards.'

Show me that movie.
You supply the lubricant and tissues
I don't understand why any mention of Taurus or the SHO send guys like you into a head spin,
are you that threatened by a car we are obviously not getting here?

Quote:
Not really drifting as he's giving the car the ol' Scandinavian flick around every corner. Watch him sharply throw that wheel in to every corner, to make the whale kick it's tail out. Then brings it back with opposite lock.
It's still very impressive no matter how much you try to be little it, one you should really drive
before being soooo critical but then a balanced view is probably asking to much......

Quote:
BTW. This AWD system only gives slip to the rear wheels when the fronts lose grip. Don't think your getting some out and out sports saloon.
Not quite true.
This AWD system transfers up to 90% torque to the real wheels on launch and full power situations.
LSD is provided by the computer applying minute brake force to which ever wheels begin to break traction.

While SHO is not an out and out sports saloon,neither is the XR6T and yes, Falcon has the edge
because of weight but come the CD4 version of SHO Taurus and things may be a lot different.

One thing is for sure, we know which car will get lavished with funding and which won't....

Last edited by jpd80; 04-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
SHO is not an out and out sports saloon but neither is the XR6T, Falcon has the edge because of weight
but come the CD4 version of SHO Taurus and things may be a lot different.
And if you want to take on an American Ford for handling, there's always the Boss 302 Laguna Seca.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Another example of Fords dilemma in Australia, a reasonable looking car which could replace Falcon, however its a fat lump, no more economical than falcon is now, so they toss a 2 liter ecoboost, to make it economical, in it and then it cant suck the skin off a rice pudding.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great vid

Amazing how peoples negativity can infiltrate a thread such as this, it's getting boring very quickly.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
You supply the lubricant and tissues
I don't understand why any mention of Taurus or the SHO send guys like you into a head spin,
are you that threatened by a car we are obviously not getting here?
Because it's getting the kind of promotion and adoration by Ford it doesn't deserve.

Quote:
It's still very impressive no matter how much you try to be little it, one you should really drive
before being soooo critical but then a balanced view is probably asking to much......
Well I myself fail to see how a NASCAR knuckle head flicking that fat whale around the track is impressive. But each to their own I guess. Some just see a Ford badge and fall on their knees yelling hallelujah

Quote:
Not quite true.
This AWD system transfers up to 90% torque to the real wheels on launch and full power situations.
LSD is provided by the computer applying minute brake force to which ever wheels begin to break traction.
90%? To the rears? Even when the front wheels are the primary driven wheels? And then slip is provided by the computer applying brake force?

Doesn't make sense. I'd love to read about it.... but I've searched and searched and can't find any technical information on it.

Quote:
While SHO is not an out and out sports saloon,neither is the XR6T and yes, Falcon has the edge
because of weight but come the CD4 version of SHO Taurus and things may be a lot different.
Falcon has the edge in the drivetrain, power, suspension, and transmission option. All of which are a considerable stake into what makes a 'sports car'. It's still a Saloon. But it's a helluva a lot more than a Taurus.
Quote:
One thing is for sure, we know which car will get lavished with funding and which won't....
Oh I know. And it makes me upset.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Because it's getting the kind of promotion and adoration by Ford it doesn't deserve.

Well I myself fail to see how a NASCAR knuckle head flicking that fat whale around the track is impressive. But each to their own I guess. Some just see a Ford badge and fall on their knees yelling hallelujah

90%? To the rears? Even when the front wheels are the primary driven wheels? And then slip is provided by the computer applying brake force?

Doesn't make sense. I'd love to read about it.... but I've searched and searched and can't find any technical information on it.

Falcon has the edge in the drivetrain, power, suspension, and transmission option. All of which are a considerable stake into what makes a 'sports car'. It's still a Saloon. But it's a helluva a lot more than a Taurus.
Oh I know. And it makes me upset.
I agree with every single thing that you have stated here.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whoopty doo. FoA had/has a working plan on dropping weight off of Falcon with each new model.
Which is it, has or had?

And yes it is whoopty doo, 2014 Falcon gets $103 million while a fortune gets spent on next gen Taurus.
It's getting increasingly hard to say no to good global products, especially when Falcon sales keep low..

As 900-1200/mth sales continue, it's becoming quite clear how many fleet and retail buyers no longer want the Falcon..

Last edited by jpd80; 04-04-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Yup, good global products, like Fiesta and Mondeo...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lolls at the trolls......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Yup, good global products, like Fiesta and Mondeo...
Ask any dealer how hard it is to get those desirable global products, he'll cry you a river of tears...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #25
Thunderchild

Great fun ads, much prefer to watch them than the crap car adverts we get over here.
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Ask any dealer how hard it is to get those desirable global products, he'll cry you a river of tears...
Unfortunately, you're right. The reason why Ford's imported products aren't selling as well as they should is because of limited supply, not limited demand.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Unfortunately, you're right. The reason why Ford's imported products aren't selling as well as they should is because of limited supply, not limited demand.
What concerns me is that plants elsewhere are now dictating the supply of Ford Australia's vehicles,
if these places become even more disaster prone with increasing climate change then perhaps
manufacturing some of the vehicles here in Australia has to be preferential to continually
disappointing customers by declaring their desired product as unobtanium.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #28
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great find ... enjoyed watching the vids
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #29
T2TICK4D

i want one !
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #30
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Why doesn't it deserve it?

I see lots of members of this forum complaining that Ford doesn't care about anything not sold in the American market. First of all, that's not true.

Second, many members of this forum seem to think nothing to do with Ford is important if it isn't sold in the Australian market. That's not true, either.