Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default E85!!

ACA Chanel 9 just had an article which stated that all current Commodores can run on E85. Anybody know about this? Am I way behind the times? Of course, E85 is an 85% ethanol and 15% petrol blend.

graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: E85!!

I have heard about the Commodores being E85 compatible before. I think they advertised it.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got some E10 in my mouth a few months ago and it tasted like rough vodka. I'll have to taste test the E85. Gotta be better.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

summary of the ACA story
Lady goes to servo, has multiple choices of fuel types, makes a decision ignoring the warnings, lifts the release handle with a warning sticker on it which no other bowser nozzle has, fills car with the fuel with the cheapest price, pays for fuel, drives off, notices car not operating correctly, takes car to mechanic, mechanic accurately finds E85 in tank and fixes car, gives lady a bill, Lady goes to ACA hoping to get a story portraying her as the victim in an attempt to get money back, The end.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,

Last edited by ratter; 14-09-2012 at 08:18 PM.
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ratter, your story was exactly the same as the ACA story but for the cost of repairs. Over $600. Ouch, costly brain fade. Or was your story the ACA story?
Old 14-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
summary of story
Lady goes to servo, has multiple choices of fuel types, makes a decision ignoring the warnings, lifts the release handle with a warning sticker on it which no other bowser nozzle has, fills car with the fuel with the cheapest price, pays for fuel, drives off, notices car not operating correctly, takes car to mechanic, mechanic accurately finds E85 in tank and fixes car, gives lady a bill, Lady goes to ACA hoping to get a story portraying her as the victim in an attempt to get money back, The end.
far out people are stupid.

but yes, all current 2012 (even some late 2011) SV6 and SS models (and the poverty pack ones) are e85 ready. so the 3L SIDI (cant pull the skin off rice custard) the 3.6 SIDI (would scare a FG falcon, possibly faster too) and the 6 litre v8 can all use e85.

its specifically marked on the SS with a FAT e85 badge on the boot. not sure on the 6s.

benefits include extra torque and power esp in midrange, cheaper fuel, cons include some scary consumption figures in the 6 and 8 (20 litres or more/100)

Ice
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
ratter, your story was exactly the same as the ACA story but for the cost of repairs. Over $600. Ouch, costly brain fade. Or was your story the ACA story?
sorry, my post was a summary of the ACA story

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

And the good news is the lady in the story can vote. And drive. On the same roads as us. At 110. Truly scary.....

The E85 nozzels have massive signs and warnings on them. Only a complete moron could bypass all these and "accidentally" wreck their engine.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep New commodores can run e85. I know the SS's are now running 2 fuel pumps and upgraded lines to be able to pump the fuel through.
Old 14-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Drizz06
XR50th

And here i was thinking ACA where gonna for once have a decent story and like said above... was just a douche buying fuel.
Runabout- 1997 XH longreach in white.
Project- 1976 ZH fairlane 500
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
I got some E10 in my mouth a few months ago and it tasted like rough vodka. I'll have to taste test the E85. Gotta be better.
That reminds me of what they did in the IndyCar series. The fuel they use is only 98% ethanol. The reason is so the fuel isn't used for human consumption.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
And the good news is the lady in the story can vote. And drive. On the same roads as us. At 110. Truly scary.....

The E85 nozzels have massive signs and warnings on them. Only a complete moron could bypass all these and "accidentally" wreck their engine.
Exactly why she went to ACA, she's a moron!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
borough

Check out the story http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8533069
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time someone comes out with a list of cars that can't use ethanol blends, green groups say that it's just scare-mongering and everyone should be using it...not surprising that some people would see it and think "wow, it must be great stuff".

Welp, that's what people get for using an energy-negative heavily subsidised "fuel" that makes your car get worse economy...which is somehow better for the environment...

That and the fact that you have to ignore the problems ethanol production is creating around the world...you know, trivial ones like driving up the price of corn and other grains to levels that are causing food shortages in poorer countries...nothing major though...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Every time someone comes out with a list of cars that can't use ethanol blends, green groups say that it's just scare-mongering and everyone should be using it...not surprising that some people would see it and think "wow, it must be great stuff".

Welp, that's what people get for using an energy-negative heavily subsidised "fuel" that makes your car get worse economy...which is somehow better for the environment...

That and the fact that you have to ignore the problems ethanol production is creating around the world...you know, trivial ones like driving up the price of corn and other grains to levels that are causing food shortages in poorer countries...nothing major though...

As opposed to sucking the earth dry of oil, and being totally dependant on it?

And the damaged caused buy oil extraction, not only on the land, but the oil spills and toxins released in its production?

I suppose you can just sit back and claim ethanol is evil, have the blinders on and ignore the fact that one day, oil-based fuels need replacement. Or you can be like Brazil, who for years have success with bio fuels...

Its funny, that food prices have risen and fallen without ethanol production...so it alone is not the major factor. Droughts still play a major factor in the cost of food, and it was this plus the extra demand for bio-fuel that created a spike in prices...

And it can be made from the mostly unused waste from food production...

So, yeah, i guess it's all OK to accuse Ethanol of being the big evil, while relying on unsustainable fossil fuels...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
As opposed to sucking the earth dry of oil, and being totally dependant on it?

And the damaged caused buy oil extraction, not only on the land, but the oil spills and toxins released in its production?

I suppose you can just sit back and claim ethanol is evil, have the blinders on and ignore the fact that one day, oil-based fuels need replacement. Or you can be like Brazil, who for years have success with bio fuels...

Its funny, that food prices have risen and fallen without ethanol production...so it alone is not the major factor. Droughts still play a major factor in the cost of food, and it was this plus the extra demand for bio-fuel that created a spike in prices...

And it can be made from the mostly unused waste from food production...

So, yeah, i guess it's all OK to accuse Ethanol of being the big evil, while relying on unsustainable fossil fuels...
The way Brazil makes its biofuels is no better than the way the real stuff is pulled from the ground.

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post