Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Maverick unmasked

Is this the one that's based on the Focus platform? Or is that something else?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #32
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

It’s on the Escape platform.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #33
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

They didn't make me a Falcon R5 ute so I'd happily accept the Maverick as a substitute. It's certainly more attractive to me than putting another bloody Ranger on the roads.

I see they've also used the timber divider idea in the bed that the Falcon ute has had for over 20yrs (introduced with the AU)

Old 09-06-2021, 04:05 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia
It’s on the Escape platform.
It's the Focus C2 platform, that has also spawned the Escape and Bronco Sport. Bronco Sport is probably it's closest relative.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I think Ford Aus has forgotten who their core customers are. They are trying to position themselves as a premium brand. Unlike Ford USA who are willing to chase the fleet market and are very aggressive with pricing.
Bring a base model in under $30,000 and nobody could argue it’s too expensive.
It’s not Ford Australia, the previous CEO was possessed by the idea of
profit being a predetermined percentage of revenue, even if that meant
killing a whole bunch of affordable sales, hopefully the new guy sees things
differently……..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's the Focus C2 platform, that has also spawned the Escape and Bronco Sport. Bronco Sport is probably it's closest relative.
That particular C2 branch is related to Transit Connect van, Ford has already told
Hermosillo suppliers to gear up for future TC production (not VW Caddy version)
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It’s not Ford Australia, the previous CEO was possessed by the idea of
profit being a predetermined percentage of revenue, even if that meant
killing a whole bunch of affordable sales, hopefully the new guy sees things
differently……..
10% EBIT is the target. As a global target. Getting close to that too. Makes the company very, very profitable.

It's not just coming from here, that's a global target. The whole idea of the Maverick is a sub 20k starter vehicle though, which is still profitable, but affordable. At least in the USA.

Hopefully the affordable starter vehicle get's a look in here at some point. The Puma base price is too high for a starter vehicle. Need something to come in that's affordable for first car buyers imo.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford would be mad not to offer this in RHD, hard work is done since it rides on RHD capable architecture.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #39
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The Maverick would be perfect for people like my father.

He currently has a Ranger and loves the flexibility of having a tub/tray. But he certainly does not need a full ladder frame chassis or a heavy duty 4x4 system, or even a diesel engine for that matter. I'm positive there are more like him.

Ford are so short sited. Maverick, Bronco and Bronco Sport should all have been on the drawing board for global consumption. They are all highly recognised nameplates and would need very little brand building. I don't get it!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford really plays to its strength with utes and pickups, Maverick reminds me of the earlier Courier utes
from the ‘80s and ‘90s. It would be perfect for people like me that don’t need a full chassis Ute,
the lower ride height is perfect for what I need and that usable open back looks great.

We can only hope that Ford takes a step back and realises that America only product
is exactly what a lot of global customers like, rugged SUVs and a choice of pickups
would serve them well in Australia.
6 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #41
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*** Countries outside of the USA can get nicked.
Buy a Toyota or some other car from a company who cares.
We don't care about being #1 in your insignificant little markets.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2021, 09:41 PM   #42
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This graphic details the size difference between Ford pick-ups.

Note how little difference there is in size between Maverick and Ranger.

My guess is next-gen Ranger will swell in size.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Ford would be mad not to offer this in RHD, hard work is done since it rides on RHD capable architecture.
If only it was that simple. Just forget about the part where the RHD versions need to undergo the same testing/development/durability cycling as the LHD versions do.

They need to twin them from the start like they do Ranger. Then you can piggyback the work.

Making a RHD version after the LHD version is already done is just ****ing money away.

I think a lot of the problem with avoiding RHD versions is the US being too inwardly focused though. And for the Mav, it's possibly the UK market not being that bothered with utes. Ranger is already no 1 ute in Europe, and probably don't want to step on it's toes.

The fuel economy of the hybrid version is pretty remarkable. 40 mile per gallon in the city vs 19 mile per gallon in the city for the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Uses half the fuel of it's only rival around town.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2021, 12:52 PM   #44
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
This graphic details the size difference between Ford pick-ups.

Note how little difference there is in size between Maverick and Ranger.

My guess is next-gen Ranger will swell in size.
Im still not sure why the Ranger and 150 need to co-exist?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #45
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
If only it was that simple. Just forget about the part where the RHD versions need to undergo the same testing/development/durability cycling as the LHD versions do.

They need to twin them from the start like they do Ranger. Then you can piggyback the work.

Making a RHD version after the LHD version is already done is just ****ing money away.

I think a lot of the problem with avoiding RHD versions is the US being too inwardly focused though. And for the Mav, it's possibly the UK market not being that bothered with utes. Ranger is already no 1 ute in Europe, and probably don't want to step on it's toes.

The fuel economy of the hybrid version is pretty remarkable. 40 mile per gallon in the city vs 19 mile per gallon in the city for the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Uses half the fuel of it's only rival around town.

This would go off in Asia. Countries like Thailand would sell a lot of these.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Because the F series goes all the way up to the big Super Duty's. It's a much more rugged vehicle, and one that can tow big weight.

The Ranger is a lighter duty vehicle, with a size more suited to asia and europe.

What you said is like saying why do Mercedes have an E class, when there is a C class.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #47
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because the F-150 sells enormously in North America and pretty much no where else and Ranger sells around the world at about a third F-series sales volume but everywhere else.

F-series (includes F-150 and others) around a million and Ranger a bit over 320,000 globally.
https://www.focus2move.com/world-best-selling-pick-up/
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #48
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Because the F-150 sells enormously in North America and pretty much no where else and Ranger sells around the world at about a third F-series sales volume but everywhere else.

F-series (includes F-150 and others) around a million and Ranger a bit over 320,000 globally.
https://www.focus2move.com/world-best-selling-pick-up/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Because the F series goes all the way up to the big Super Duty's. It's a much more rugged vehicle, and one that can tow big weight.

The Ranger is a lighter duty vehicle, with a size more suited to asia and europe.

What you said is like saying why do Mercedes have an E class, when there is a C class.
I get what both of you are saying, but make the next 150 in-between the 150 and Ranger, cull half your workforce and costs and actually make a global ute.

150 doesnt get a chance anywhere else because Ford NA hasnt even tried, cant compare the effort.

RAM proves bigger can work here, but not everyone wants to spend $80k on the base model with a V8.

So..economies of scale reduces your costs and your can offer better content.

RE: C / E class etc/..personally, I think the market is over saturated and the Germans are the worst at it.

Start to have a look at the four door 4 series and the 5 series, or the A5 and A6...they grow bigger and bigger and the only difference is the engines which give it 5-10years is going to mean nothing with most cars being EV or Hybrid.

I get the emotion of the Ranger in Australia, but if it suddenly grew a little and had better options (hello V8) then I dont think anyone would car.

Asia can have this Maverick POS for their "little" streets.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F150 and Super Duty now share a lot of body stampings that improve the scales of efficiency
and since F Series is responsible for the bulk of Ford’s profits, there’s no way that anyone
will be allowed to mess with a winning formula.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #50
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
I agree.

Merge the F150 and Ranger and call it an F100

Old 10-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #51
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
F150 is 10% bigger.
Doesn't sound like much? But thats a greater size difference than between a Corolla sedan and Camry.

However the current aluminum F150 is no heavier than a Ranger...
Aluminum Ranger with a V6 ecoboost please, should be around 2t rather than the 2.3t of the current lump.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #52
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I get what both of you are saying, but make the next 150 in-between the 150 and Ranger, cull half your workforce and costs and actually make a global ute.

150 doesnt get a chance anywhere else because Ford NA hasnt even tried, cant compare the effort.

RAM proves bigger can work here, but not everyone wants to spend $80k on the base model with a V8.

RE: C / E class etc/..personally, I think the market is over saturated and the Germans are the worst at it.

Start to have a look at the four door 4 series and the 5 series, or the A5 and A6...they grow bigger and bigger and the only difference is the engines which give it 5-10years is going to mean nothing with most cars being EV or Hybrid.

I get the emotion of the Ranger in Australia, but if it suddenly grew a little and had better options (hello V8) then I dont think anyone would car.

Don't get me wrong, if the F-150 here was $10-15K above a Ranger I'd buy the F-150...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 08:36 AM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
10% EBIT is the target. As a global target. Getting close to that too. Makes the company very, very profitable.

It's not just coming from here, that's a global target. The whole idea of the Maverick is a sub 20k starter vehicle though, which is still profitable, but affordable. At least in the USA.

Hopefully the affordable starter vehicle get's a look in here at some point. The Puma base price is too high for a starter vehicle. Need something to come in that's affordable for first car buyers imo.
I got my start in Ford in my WS Fiesta, sub $20K new car as a 17 year old kid.

There needs to be some sub $20K entry model to get new blood interested in the brand.

Loss leader.

All this talk of F150 there's a new one I've parked behind this morning at the cafe for breakfast and yesterday had a customer rock up in a new F250 at work.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #54
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

RAM doesn't prove anything at all. It sells in numbers per year about what Ranger and Hilux both sell in a fortnight. It's a niche market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I agree.

Merge the F150 and Ranger and call it an F100

They seriously looked at doing a smaller F-100 about 7 or 8 years ago. I think switching to all aluminium construction for F-150 to reduce weight made it redundant. And then they ended up bringing the Ranger back to the North American market anyway.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #55
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Don't get me wrong, if the F-150 here was $10-15K above a Ranger I'd buy the F-150...
Me Too..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2021, 03:05 AM   #56
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm ordering 3 of them for our business. Sales reps will get them. White XL AWD 2.0 EcoBoost. We currently have a couple of Colorado V6s. We will get them at invoice, so we may be lucky enough to almost do a straight swap (might have to sell privately to do it).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2021, 03:56 AM   #57
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it but doesn't seem to be much different to a Ranger

A lot of RAMs and Silverados around here. It started out just the rural folks but the tradies are now getting in on the action. I see them everyday.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2021, 04:28 AM   #58
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I love it and hope it works out reliable.

Came see how it can be called tonsijilar to the Ranger? Monocoque vs chassis, diesel vs petrol, fwd vs rwd, AWD vs low range gearing.... Both practical, that must be how they are identical....
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
F150 is 10% bigger.
Doesn't sound like much? But thats a greater size difference than between a Corolla sedan and Camry.

However the current aluminum F150 is no heavier than a Ranger...
Aluminum Ranger with a V6 ecoboost please, should be around 2t rather than the 2.3t of the current lump.
Not exactly, the closest they come is Crew Cab Ranger vs Super Cab F150
but even then, the F150 is still 400 lbs (180 Kg) heavier.
That’s not much considering the comparison is to a 2.7 EBV6 but again,
the Ranger lives alongside F150 quite successfully in the USA.

The current Ranger crew cab has interior space that feels more like a Focus.
If a bigger global Ranger was ever entertained, it could be achieved by
making the body 3” (75mm) wider and increasing length by 3” (75mm)
to give more hip, shoulder and rear leg room. That would align better with
the room expected in a proper mid-sized pickup, but then impinges on F150.

Anything you do to make Ranger into a bigger global pickup then impacts
on the Ranger’s canabalising F150 sales in the US, Dearborn won’t allow it.

Last edited by jpd80; 12-06-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:39 PM   #60
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With the inline 5 probably disappearing, fair chance there is more internal room in next gen.