Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-06-2021, 09:54 PM   #91
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: KIA outsells Ford in May

The Ranger is OK, Raptor some love but if I wanted a slow truck I'd buy a Mack.

The rest of Ford's range is horrible. Mustang is cheap American crap but looks good no doubt - but will never be a high sales vehicle.

Kia are making great cars the market want.

Sure I'm not interested in any outside the Stinger (just) but credit where its due.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 10:49 PM   #92
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Something that seems to be going on un-noticed is how Kia have been increasing their prices, making them less of the good-value budget option they once were.

Picanto was once a $14k proposition, it now starts at $16k.

Rio was a $16k starting point, now $19k.

Cerato was a long term $20-22k starter, now $26k.

Sportage started at $27K, a $29K-$31K option now.

Carnival is $47K proposition, likewise Sorrento.

It's the Rio and Cerato that have made the most noticeable jump. Remember the flaming Ford got for making the Focus a $25k entry point 5 years ago? Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai, VW, Honda and now Kia have followed Ford's lead, and yet Ford still cop flack for "premium" pricing.

I would still personally recommend people consider Kia's, they are decent cars for modest money. I really like what they have done with the Sorento's styling and admire their guts for committing to something like the niche market Stinger.

But I don't see them as a bargain, cheap option anymore.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 10:56 PM   #93
zilo
BANNED

We can keep dancing around with numbers but Ford, as a passenger car manufacturer is stuffed unless they embrace the future in my opinion.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #94
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Something that seems to be going on un-noticed is how Kia have been increasing their prices, making them less of the good-value budget option they once were.

Picanto was once a $14k proposition, it now starts at $16k.

Rio was a $16k starting point, now $19k.

Cerato was a long term $20-22k starter, now $26k.

Sportage started at $27K, a $29K-$31K option now.

Carnival is $47K proposition, likewise Sorrento.

It's the Rio and Cerato that have made the most noticeable jump. Remember the flaming Ford got for making the Focus a $25k entry point 5 years ago? Mazda, Toyota, Hyundai, VW, Honda and now Kia have followed Ford's lead, and yet Ford still cop flack for "premium" pricing.

I would still personally recommend people consider Kia's, they are decent cars for modest money. I really like what they have done with the Sorento's styling and admire their guts for committing to something like the niche market Stinger.

But I don't see them as a bargain, cheap option anymore.
I guess given Ford went upwards its created room to move for Kia, the market just got more expensive to enter.

My mid spec diesel Focus cost me $26K DA in 2011 as a run out model new on the shop floor.

Whats base model SA Focus these days, $32K + ORC?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 11:45 PM   #95
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars will get cheaper once local manufacturing ends and tarrifs are removed.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2021, 11:48 PM   #96
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Heh, who ever said that I'm looking forward to seeing them at the Melbourne comedy festival.

No more $35K Falcon so there's $35K Corolla and Focus doing the rounds.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #97
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
The Ranger is OK, Raptor some love but if I wanted a slow truck I'd buy a Mack.

The rest of Ford's range is horrible. Mustang is cheap American crap but looks good no doubt - but will never be a high sales vehicle.

Kia are making great cars the market want.

Sure I'm not interested in any outside the Stinger (just) but credit where its due.
None of that is really true. Fords get rated well in all reviews. Really there is no bad car in the range.

And don’t throw the sales numbers argument in, because sales mean nothing in terms of whether a car is good or not.
6 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #98
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Yes an astute decision because..blah, blah, blah.
And anyway, if it never eventuates it'll be the loyal fans paying the premium for that loyalty.

'Have you paid overs lately' can be the new slogan.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #99
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Something that seems to be going on un-noticed is how Kia have been increasing their prices, making them less of the good-value budget option

I guess the difference is Kia didnt up their pricing of Cerato off the back of a class action, asking a premium for Focus considering its tarnished image is taking the ****.
Old 14-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #100
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
"people aren't buying Passenger cars anymore." But if anything, people are buying more! Sure, the shape has changed, but so what, shapes have been changing since the Model-T.
ironically enough the shape has changed back to the model-t thru to 1940s shape. one big square box, vertical rear (often with external spare tyre) 4 doors ,, fairly vertical windscreen, smaller box out the front hiding an engine, with plenty of ground clearance.

The silhouette of your average suv isnt that different to many 1930s early 40s cars

the swoopy ponton or soap bar streamlined wedge, sedan or low slung hatch that started in the 50s and ruled for decades, has fallen away since 2010
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #101
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
We can keep dancing around with numbers but Ford, as a passenger car manufacturer is stuffed unless they embrace the future in my opinion.
Correct.
Old 14-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #102
MercuryT
Banned

Ford have no car worth buying imo.

Mustang is cheap made American rubbish and now we lost gun Falcons which were awesome it is a very unlikable brand.

No wonder sales are terrible. Selling sh^t is difficult
Old 14-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #103
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Mustang is cheap made American rubbish and now we lost gun Falcons which were awesome it is a very unlikable brand.

I think thats a bit harsh, many of their offerings are good product, they're either over priced or tarnished by previous experience.
Id own a Ranger, but i wouldnt pay $50-60k for one.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #104
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

trolling hard much ey m8
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #105
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Kia and Hyundai are doing well because they are a global brand.

I think they (as a combined brand lets say) are second only to Toyota for global penetration.

I did look this up once. I'm wondering? How did this happen seeing as the Korean brands are relatively new to the car scene?

Can it be an anti American sentiment? Ford have been building cars since Noah played halfback for the Rabbitos.

In Japan, Korean cars are not at all common. In Korea, Japanese cars are rare as hens teeth. Due to their history (and rivalry) that's understandable.

I'm wondering... are Korean cars at a natural advantage because they never picked a fight with anyone?

We still get the odd racial jibe about German brands being associated with the Nazi's.

I say this because The Koreans are able to do so well as they are a global player. Volume is obviously a factor in their success.

Could it be perceived that no matter how good the Ford brand is that it can't reach the sales numbers of the Koreans due to this underlying resentment?

I'm too young to remember, but back in the hay day of the Aussie car industry were people jeered or called traitors for buying Japanese cars?

As a reference, Wikipedia says that Ford made just under 4.2 million vehicles in 2020 (and that's apparently down on previous years).

Hyundai made 4.85 million - (in 2016), a number that was also apparently down on previous years. I wonder why they didn't update their stats?

Kia made just over 2.8 million cars in 2019 and that was up on previous years.

I don't know the sharing involved between the Koreans but I group them together because they are in each others pockets in terms of manufacturing and sharing of technology / platforms etc.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 06:49 PM   #106
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

And yet, Ford have had the number 2 selling vehicle on the market for several years now. And Mustang has led it's segment since it was introduced 5 years ago. Everest continues to grow and Escape is in demand, sales being hampered by semi-conductor shortages.

Seems like Ford have a few offerings that people feel like are worth buying. Out of the 56 brands on sale in Australia, Ford finished 2020 in 4th position. So out of 56 brands, only 3 others sold more than Ford. Again, clearly Ford are doing something right.

I know it's popular in these threads to slag off Ford, and they do a fair bit wrong, but the they do seem to be selling stuff that people want.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #107
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
ironically enough the shape has changed back to the model-t thru to 1940s shape. one big square box, vertical rear (often with external spare tyre) 4 doors ,, fairly vertical windscreen, smaller box out the front hiding an engine, with plenty of ground clearance.

The silhouette of your average suv isnt that different to many 1930s early 40s cars

the swoopy ponton or soap bar streamlined wedge, sedan or low slung hatch that started in the 50s and ruled for decades, has fallen away since 2010
That's quite astute.

Even seeing footage of FB/EK wagons taking on sand tracks at the beach got me thinking that small/medium SUVs have been here before

Yellow Festiva, interesting points as well. Ford could be on the nose in Oz not so much with anti-American sentiment, but on how they managed themselves here. Some of the decisions have been appalling. There's also the perception for many Aussies that any domestic manufacturers had a line into their wallets via subsidies, creating resentment.

In the US Ford's trucks dominate, the Focus in Europe does/did very well so there's that too. In Asia - do foreign brands get let in? In China I think they do? Japan? In Thailand I'd say Ranger sells pretty well and has the patriotic thing as it's built there.
Old 14-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #108
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
And yet, Ford have had the number 2 selling vehicle on the market for several years now. And Mustang has led it's segment since it was introduced 5 years ago. Everest continues to grow and Escape is in demand, sales being hampered by semi-conductor shortages.

Seems like Ford have a few offerings that people feel like are worth buying. Out of the 56 brands on sale in Australia, Ford finished 2020 in 4th position. So out of 56 brands, only 3 others sold more than Ford. Again, clearly Ford are doing something right.

I know it's popular in these threads to slag off Ford, and they do a fair bit wrong, but the they do seem to be selling stuff that people want.
On paper Ford have a great catalogue, could do with a little more depth but it isn't bad at all. The cars always rate really well.

For me personally while I do like the Escape, at the time of buying my SUV it was the previous gen Escape and it just didn't sit well with me over the CX5 (new one though is another story). Adding to that the TCO of the Ford is above the equivalent Mazda when I did the sums.

May be in a year or two I'd be in the market for a Mustang or ST Focus.
Old 15-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #109
bb_zetec

Nissan has just announced they are getting out of the sedan market, and we all know Ford has done that too in the US and their other markets.

The concern we have for Ford is that if dual cab utes become on the nose with aussies here then they will have trouble, as really the Ranger is their volume seller.

Perhaps the new Bronco, EV's and the promised smaller style ute similar to the old courier series may help their offerings stay releveant.

Yes their Everest and Puma etc...are good cars too but i dont see them in volume.

Toyota had trouble selling their Fortuner SUV off the Hilux platform...i guess those sales went to Prado.

Aussies can change what they want overnight...so as long as the old saying goes "dont keep your eggs in one basket" rings true for Ford they should be OK.

Im sure they are making money in Australia, that and the R&D for the Ranger is done locally here which says something.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #110
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec View Post
Nissan has just announced they are getting out of the sedan market, and we all know Ford has done that too in the US and their other markets.

The concern we have for Ford is that if dual cab utes become on the nose with aussies here then they will have trouble, as really the Ranger is their volume seller.
If that's the case then Korean position will be even better.

Korea is full of sedans. Heaps of full sized high HP sedans on offer.

They will just adapt future designs for easier RHD conversion and fill gaps in the market like they are already doing.

The US just got a new Korean sedan, looks full sized. Can't recall the model but I think its a Hyundai.

Its one of those YouTube model release videos.

And it looks amazing.

Sedans and small hatchbacks will be available long into the future provided the Koreans continue making them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Old 15-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #111
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec

Perhaps the new Bronco, EV's and the promised smaller style ute similar to the old courier series may help their offerings stay releveant.

Yes their Everest and Puma etc...are good cars too but i dont see them in volume.

Toyota had trouble selling their Fortuner SUV off the Hilux platform...i guess those sales went to Prado.

Aussies can change what they want overnight...so as long as the old saying goes "dont keep your eggs in one basket" rings true for Ford they should be OK.

Im sure they are making money in Australia, that and the R&D for the Ranger is done locally here which says something.
Utes/commercial vehicles are pretty well insulated though. Cause they are tool of trade vehicles, used by tradesmen and fleets and by couriers etc. The market won't suddenly just die. There will always be demand there.

And even if the demand drops for recreational buyers, it doesn't matter. Ford don't have a factory here they need to keep running. The Thai plant supplies the whole asian region.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 02:21 PM   #112
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

In Japan, Korean cars are not at all common. In Korea, Japanese cars are rare as hens teeth. Due to their history (and rivalry) that's understandable.
When I was in Japan a couple of years back, one thing that struck me was not seeing any Korean cars at all on the roads. Though they do have a fondness for the German brands though, Mercedes in particular.

It's not just cars either. You'd be hard-pressed to find any Samsung or LG products in their Harvey Norman/JB equivalents.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #113
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT View Post
When I was in Japan a couple of years back, one thing that struck me was not seeing any Korean cars at all on the roads. Though they do have a fondness for the German brands though, Mercedes in particular.

It's not just cars either. You'd be hard-pressed to find any Samsung or LG products in their Harvey Norman/JB equivalents.
There is great rivalry between the 2 nations based on underlying resentment from how the Japanese treated the Koreans during their occupation of the Korean peninsula.

They did their best to try and wipe out their identity. Thankfully they failed.

In terms of cars, Nissan did actually sell cars in Korea, however they were sold under the Samsung brand and touted as Euroasian based vehicles as at the time there was an alliance with Nissan and Renault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_Motors

Yeah lots of bad blood between the 2, both very patriotic, both very proud. However the Japanese were ruthless in their pursuit for dominance over Asia.

3 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #114
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Utes/commercial vehicles are pretty well insulated though. Cause they are tool of trade vehicles, used by tradesmen and fleets and by couriers etc. The market won't suddenly just die. There will always be demand there.

And even if the demand drops for recreational buyers, it doesn't matter. Ford don't have a factory here they need to keep running. The Thai plant supplies the whole asian region.

The Fringe Benefits Tax exemption is a HUGE driver of Ute sales..
If GOVCO close that loophole Ute sales will drop dramatically (In my opinion)..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #115
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Yep, spot on.
Take away the subsidy and see what happens, funny how the sedan car market died soon after the introduction.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #116
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quite Possible, though I think they may have done the job in transitioning public from falcodores over to twin cabs, if they pulled the benefits away now.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 10:56 AM   #117
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep, spot on.
Take away the subsidy and see what happens, funny how the sedan car market died soon after the introduction.
FBT was introduced by the Hawke Govt. in 1986. The sedan market was still booming in the mid 2000s.

Utes sell today because they are a viable alternative to the 4-door large car. They double as a work vehicle & will seat 5 people at other times. They weren't like that 20 years ago, they have grown in size considerably.

FBT helps, but the fact that tradies earn good money these days (& very low interest rates) makes them very affordable.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #118
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep, spot on.
Take away the subsidy and see what happens.
A case in Point... My Brother inlaw as part of his Salary package is Entitled to a car..
He asked for a Camry, & got a New Triton Dualcab..!!

Just so they Didn't have to Pay FBT on the car..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #119
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
They did their best to try and wipe out their identity. Thankfully they failed.

In terms of cars, Nissan did actually sell cars in Korea, however they were sold under the Samsung brand and touted as Euroasian based vehicles as at the time there was an alliance with Nissan and Renault.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_Motors

Yeah lots of bad blood between the 2, both very patriotic, both very proud. However the Japanese were ruthless in their pursuit for dominance over Asia.
If someone tried to wipe out Australia we would set up a free trade agreement and ask them to be our number 1 trade partner 4 weeks later.

I like Ford and nothing really jumps out at me apart from the Ranger and Mustang and maybe the Everest.
The rest seem good enough but none would be at the top of my list if buying. Not sure why though. I feel like Ford cars and SUVs are just slipping into the background.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #120
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
A case in Point... My Brother inlaw as part of his Salary package is Entitled to a car..
He asked for a Camry, & got a New Triton Dualcab..!!

Just so they Didn't have to Pay FBT on the car..
My work did the same thing years ago. Stopped buying ve commodores and fg falcons and went to duel cab utes for fleet cars..mind you.. we have no need for twin cab utes. A camry is more than enough but the bosses dont want the fbt attached to sedans.

My sons work only buy twin cabs for their managers and are now moving from single cab utes to new hiace vans for tradies.. my son is handing back his twin cab ute as he says its a waste of time on site.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: