Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
ToyotaCorolla
Starter Motor

Default Power steering pump leaking

The fluid in the power steering reservoir keeps leaking, I already top it up twice, however I cannot seem to find the cause of the leak.

I already replace the high pressure hose, and check it multiple times, dry! It must be leaking else where :(

https://imgur.com/MvEpi4g.jpg
ToyotaCorolla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 
Default Re: Power steering pump leaking

If leaking on the hose as per pic it's either front seal or the can is leaking. A basic rebuild kit will replace those seals
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #3
Metdevil

Check the Power Steering Pressure Switch, mine leaked from there a couple of times. Not too sure what causes it to fail, but mine was leaking through the switch assembly and out the electrical connector.

To get to it, I believe it's a 14mm, find a sacrificial spanner that you can cut short and grind a bit of the thickness off it so that the 'prongs' of the spanner come to a sharp point.

There's not much clearance to get a spanner in there, so it's easier to just cut the spanner short.

There's a diagram here which shows where to find it.
http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/augx/Part%203-3.html
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Check the Power Steering Pressure Switch, mine leaked from there a couple of times. Not too sure what causes it to fail, but mine was leaking through the switch assembly and out the electrical connector.

To get to it, I believe it's a 14mm, find a sacrificial spanner that you can cut short and grind a bit of the thickness off it so that the 'prongs' of the spanner come to a sharp point.

There's not much clearance to get a spanner in there, so it's easier to just cut the spanner short.

The O rings fails as many of the aftermarket ones are fitted with an O ring that is not resistant to power steering fluid and dissolve away. Aftermarket often come with buna or Nitrile rubber O ring gaskets that are not resistant to power steering fluid and dissolve to mush. Polyacrylate 'O' rings are best. Plumbers tape or master pipe sealant won't work either. For this reason it's worth getting the factory O ring even if you use an aftermarket switch. They are easiest to get at by removing the driver's side front wheel with the car on a solid jack stand and getting to it from below. Better still using a ramp or car lift. Trying to do it from within the engine bay alothough and obvious choice is an uphill struggle. The size of spanner needed can vary as the aftermarket and factory ones have a different size hex to the factory one and even different aftermarket ones can be different; in any event don't assume the spanner used to remove the old switch will also fit the replacement switch. Make sure you use the hex fitting to tighten it otherwise the plastic body bit will crack and leak. Also see https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11381608 and http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11224081 etc
Old 02-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
The O rings fails as many of the aftermarket ones are fitted with an O ring that is not resistant to power steering fluid and dissolve away...
On both of mine that went, the O rings were fine. As in that thread you linked, the leak was coming from the connector, not the thread. Wasn't aware that aftermarket O rings were yet another point of failure :(

Also tried coming at it from below before resorting to mutilating a spanner. Getting to it from above was definitely preferable in my case.

On the topic of spanners, I also found that I had one of those Ikea spanners which must've come with a $15 bookshelf or something which was perfect for the job too.
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #6
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
If leaking on the hose as per pic it's either front seal or the can is leaking. A basic rebuild kit will replace those seals
^^ What he said.

Get a rebuild / reseal kit for pump;
The following from ebay has instructions:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/37282060...Cclp%3A2334524

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; now looking at the picture it's time to replace the seal or the pump (the latter is easier and sometimes cheaper if you are paying someone to do it or don't have the required tools and/or skills).
Old 03-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
ToyotaCorolla
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Yes; now looking at the picture it's time to replace the seal or the pump (the latter is easier and sometimes cheaper if you are paying someone to do it or don't have the required tools and/or skills).
How much would the mechanic charge to replace the pump?

Is it hard to replace the pump yourself? It's just getting the part from repco, drain the fluid, remove the nuts(mounts the unit to the engine frame) and hose(high and low), put new pump on, reconnect the nuts and hose, put in fluid in?

Having said that, it does look like a tight spot to work on!

cheers

Last edited by ToyotaCorolla; 03-05-2021 at 06:55 PM.
ToyotaCorolla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

You also have to bleed the power steering system but that's not difficult either.