Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

hey all im a dirty smoker and i have been smoking since i was 15 years old and i am 29 now

i have been trying every month to give up smoking since this year and i have failed to give up and i give in to the urge i have 2 children one 8 and one 6 turning 7

I allso cough up what looks to be blood but im unsure cause its already down the drian i have tryed so many attempts to give up but i fail and everytime i have smoke my throat hurts a little five mins later after i have finished the smoke

so tonight is the stand where im saying NO and the half packet of smokes i have i gave them away and i have nicabate gum and extra chewing gum that i have used and it did work but the taste is what took me of from stop chewing them after a week

Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

and i just relised that i posted this in the wrong section can i get this moved please to the right section

cheers
Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

All the best mate, im lucky ive never smoked...
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanx i wish i never did it either but being 15 and stupid and hanging around with mates you just want to act cool but in reality im just a stupid fool that took it up
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hope it goes well.

I only smoked for a short time .... but managed to give up.
Wasn't easy at all ... and you really need to not give in when times get hard.

I used patches ... and man they gave me the weirdest dreams out .... after 2 weeks of that I couldn't handle it .... I was lucky in a way .... I got bronchitis just after that .... and didn't want to be near another ciggie.

Once over the first few weeks of no smoking ... it became easier for me.

Eventually ... the smell of other people's smoke actually makes me feel sick.

What i found hard was heading out with mates and drinking ... that was the worst ..... at one point I didn't go out for ages ... just to keep away from that sort of environment as it was too tempting to "have another one".

Good luck .... I hope you are successful.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Mate, as long as you keep wanting to give up, that will keep you going. You NEED to have motivation on your side.

I gave up a 20 year habit using patches, but I got to the stage where I convinced myself it was life or death - that helped heaps! Must be six years off them, now!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi, may not help but I smoked from the age of 12 (not illegal then) until I was almost 21. One day, rolling a cigarette (roll your own, it was a while back.) I thought, what the hey am I doing??? I handed the tobacco to another person and have not smoked since. 49 years. The thing is, you have to really decide that you want to give up. No props or aids like chewing gum with nicotine in it. The tobacco companies do not mind you using gum with nicotine in it as they are producing and selling that as well. Just stop. Requires a litle will power but it can be done. It took me almost a week to finish coughing up the brown cr*p from my lungs. From the sound of what you have said, sooner rather would be good and a visit to the doctor to check your lungs. A friend of mine developed emphysema just on 30 years of age and my cousin has lung cancer. Both death sentences, sadly
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanx for the advice I will be heading of to the doctors 2moz to see what help i can get
Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not sure what crap i cough up in the morning but it does look like it does have a red tinge to it more of a black to it so i would probably say my lungs have probably had enough and plus im i have asthma aswell and plus im overwieght aswell at 142kg and im not just doing it for me im doing it for my family
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
irdonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate,

Doctors ASAP! Can't stress that enough, even if you have doubts it's blood.

Hypnosis can work very well for some people. Have you tried/considered it?

As many have said, wanting to do it is the first step.

Ian
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck, I'd have thought coughing up blood might be motivation enough to stop? I the urge to smoke really that strong?

I too smoked but just gave up without issue..but when I quit I kind of just stopped without really saying "I'm quitting smoking today" so it seemed less of an ultimatum. If that makes sense to anyone.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
drpopper

I smoked for 27 years ...2 packs a day toward the end.
Tried giving up many times but eventually what enabled me to do it was these ...
http://www.nicorette.com.au/product-range/inhaler
They really work !
drpopper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Good luck, I'd have thought coughing up blood might be motivation enough to stop? I the urge to smoke really that strong?

I too smoked but just gave up without issue..but when I quit I kind of just stopped without really saying "I'm quitting smoking today" so it seemed less of an ultimatum. If that makes sense to anyone.

I smoke at least about 30 smokes a day and i know i have to do it and tonight is the night and the rest of the year is where im saying no and im doing it even if i have the urge to smoke im happy to take my mind of it and go wash my car even if i wash it 30 times a day at least i can take my mind of it
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ex smoker here, 12 years this Christmas. First one at 11. Stopped at 30.

Life's too short to waste it sucking on a dart. Find your motivation, your one reason that makes you situp and see that your smoking is killing you, and affecting quality of life. Focus on your reasons and remember those reasons. It gets easier, trust me. But you have to give it 110%. No one can do it for you. Only offer support and encouragement. You gotta do it fr yourself.

My reason for quitting was for the pending birth of our son. What better motivation do you need than trying to be around for as long as you can. Children is what makes life worth living.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats what my reason is for is for my wife and 2 kids and to be able to play around with them without getting puffed out or coughing for about 15mins where the point i feel like im having a asthma attack or a stroke my 6 year old daughter comes up to me every day and ask's me to stop and its hard to explain to her that its abit hard but now im to the point where enough is enough
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpopper
I smoked for 27 years ...2 packs a day toward the end.
Tried giving up many times but eventually what enabled me to do it was these ...
http://www.nicorette.com.au/product-range/inhaler
They really work !

thanks im going to buy a packet of them tomorrow and hopefully it will help how much do they cost if you can rember
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck mate, hope it goes well so you can enjoy a better life with your family!
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not easy, i went cold turkey. locked myself in my room for 24 hours with a good xbox game... worked to also be angry at the girlfriend and use that as an excuse to not go outside :P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I smoked from 16 to 45 I tried a few times but failed then I went to the doctor & he gave me a prescript for some champax & i have never looked back! And I was one of those who loved a smoke! Good luck!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have given up twice.
The first time was after i was amrried and the mrs gave up cigs when we were trying to have a baby so i joined her.

I didn't have a smoke for 16 years and then took it up again like an idiot for 15 months. I finally woke up and gave up for good 7 years ago

No patches, no gum, just will power. You are well on the way deciding to give up. You have to REALLY want to give up.

The first two weeks is the hardest. You need to be away from smokers and have mates that don't get a kick out of trying to get you back on them

After two weeks you will feel the cravings getting less then they stop.
Your taste buds come back to normal and food tastes better. You will get the SH**S over anything and everything and will be a pain to live with. You will put on an easy 5kg or so as the cigs is keeping you thinner believe it or not.

Persevere and conquer. After a fortnight you will be off them. Some say it is harder than giving up heroin but i wouldn't know about that. I just know that I don't miss ciggies one bit. I hate the smell of it on my clothes or in my hair if i am near smokers and the smokers at work smell like crap even when they pass by 3m or so. Smokers cars make me want to throw up my cookies.

Good luck with it champ. You owe it to your family to be around with them as long as you can control it and you CAN control it as far as smoking cigs goes.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

If I was in that situation, my next call would probably be either the doctors or a pharmacy to get some professional advice...

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi, i used to smoke 2 and half packets of rollies a week.
In september last year i decided to quit after all other attempts failed like hypnosis, champix, patches, they all failed so i baught a pack of nicabate chewies and instantly quit, with no cravings.
They do work but be warned follow the instructions other wise you will become addicted to them. i have been chewing nicabatess since september last year, but i havent had one smoke,. yes sbut i have smoked for 17 years too
Good luck
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytgxl
I smoked from 16 to 45 I tried a few times but failed then I went to the doctor & he gave me a prescript for some champax & i have never looked back! And I was one of those who loved a smoke! Good luck!
Thats a bit of a problem too. Enjoying a ciggy too much in the mornind and evening after tea. Makes it harder to give them the boot and agree ..... need a reason to do it and stick by it.

As has been said .......

Giving up is bloody easy. I have done it at least 20 times!

Good luck with it and anyone who does give up and sticks with it has more will power than me and deserves to save the $120.00 per week.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76
Hi, i used to smoke 2 and half packets of rollies a week.
In september last year i decided to quit after all other attempts failed like hypnosis, champix, patches, they all failed so i baught a pack of nicabate chewies and instantly quit, with no cravings.
They do work but be warned follow the instructions other wise you will become addicted to them. i have been chewing nicabatess since september last year, but i havent had one smoke,. yes sbut i have smoked for 17 years too
Good luck
thats what i used last time and they taste like crap but this time im not going to think about the taste and just do it
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Good luck with it mate. Can't comment regarding giving up as I have probably had 3 smokes my whole life.

Every time you want a smoke, reach for an empty packet.

Empty of smokes that is... replace them with a picture of the people you cherish in your life, starting with the wife and kids.

Good luck!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Thats a bit of a problem too. Enjoying a ciggy too much in the mornind and evening after tea. Makes it harder to give them the boot and agree ..... need a reason to do it and stick by it.

As has been said .......

Giving up is bloody easy. I have done it at least 20 times!

Good luck with it and anyone who does give up and sticks with it has more will power than me and deserves to save the $120.00 per week.
just relised i spend $7280 a year on smokes now only if i banked that each year over 10 years there's my new fg typhoon but there is more important stuff then a car
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
creative
I am Batman

Dont think about it if you get the cravings.... Its habit that keeps you going back to them. If you feel like a cig, go play with the kids, used to having one after a meal? wash up. Do things to keep your mind off it and it will get easier.... Another good motivation is a ciggy jar. You want a smoke, put a dollar in the jar. Give yourself a visual boost and see how much cash you will save and put it towards a treat for the family.

Just a few suggestions!

It sounds like you have reached the point where you have the motivation to do it, you just need the will power now.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytgxl
I smoked from 16 to 45 I tried a few times but failed then I went to the doctor & he gave me a prescript for some champix & i have never looked back! And I was one of those who loved a smoke! Good luck!
Pretty much same as me. Started at 16, and finally gave up 3 months ago (at 43) with the help of champix. 4 things helped me:

1. Pick a Friday to have your last smoke on - with champix, they recommend you pick a day in the first 10 days of taking the tablets - I went just a little past that, but it still worked. My last smoke was 5pm Friday 20 Jan 2012 (15 days after I first started the tablets).

2. By this stage, you should actually not get any feelings of wanting a smoke, but if you do, then do something that takes a minute or more - I learnt pi to 50 decimal places, and each time I felt like a smoke, I recited pi in my head or wrote it down (3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937 510)

3. Once I got past 2 days without a smoke, I actually then didn't want one because if I had one, then I realised I may as well have smoked for the weekend, and it would be a waste that I didn't, so then I stayed off them, and the longer that went, the more time I wasted not smoking which made me want to not smoke more.......(bit weird, but worked for me)

4. Take all the tablets...................

Good luck!
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've heard some people swear by Champix, get it from your doctor.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #30
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mrs took them last year in december and it worked for her but because i was going through abit of a depression stage at that time it wasn't recommended but now i don't see the harm in trying them out i reckon