Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Donating to Charities

Charities, don't get me wrong, I donate to charities, but the current approach is IMO an invasion of my privacy and makes it extremely difficult to give them money.

I had a couple of blokes from canteen.org.au come to my door.

Them: We are from Canteen, perhaps you've heard form us, we're doing a door knock with all you neighbours...
Me: So you want a donation?
Them: Yes, just fill in your details on our iPad for regular monthly donations, can I start with your name?
Me: Sorry and I do not want to offend you, but I have privacy concerns and I'm not prepared to give you my name, can I make an anonymous one-off payment?
Them: We don't do that
ME: Ok, I'll go onto your website and make a donation

Their website again wants personal details which I'm not prepared to supply.

WTF ?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Donating to Charities

I think it’s all but impossible now. Very few have a bank account listed where you can lob a donation as Joe Schmoe - and of course there’s no tax invoice likely to be returned as you’re doing it anonymously… Lou’s Place might still be willing to tango this way, but it’s not exactly near you.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I think it’s all but impossible now. Very few have a bank account listed where you can lob a donation as Joe Schmoe - and of course there’s no tax invoice likely to be returned as you’re doing it anonymously… Lou’s Place might still be willing to tango this way, but it’s not exactly near you.
CFA Good Friday Appeal, didn't have a problem setting up a roadblock on the main street in my town. No one in or out unless money went into the round bales.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #4
Pis-ton broke
Banned

its a good point cheap. and to add further. in this day of scammers, i'm afraid il get ripped off , or are these people who they say who they are? i the old days you didn't have that concern. the scammers have ruined it. i used to donate over the phone, not any more. and then you will get on a call list. i don't give out ANY personal info.
i recently donated to the epoch times news , then i get a bill for monthly contributions. some how ive put myself in for monthly contributions, that i was totally unware of.
be carefull.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #5
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
i recently donated to the epoch times news , then i get a bill for monthly contributions. some how ive put myself in for monthly contributions, that i was totally unware of.
LOL that's just dumb.
Right wing grifting is always funny to me, lots of chumps got ripped off by trump in the same way

But with regards to regular charities for major charities on major event days they might get volunteers to collect one off donations, but the every day door knockers or shop/cbd chuggers only want subscriptions now. Makes it easier to work out the minimum 30% they actually pass on and then calculate the managers, board and CEO salary for the year!

Seriously though, the door knockers/chuggers are outsourced paid labour, the company takes such a huge cut there's nothing left unless they get you to pay monthly for more than a year.
https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/e...ns-accc-291117
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #6
sr71

I was offered a ‘Cops are Tops’ sticker, years back. All I had to do was advertise in a Police Society White Pages. Bloke told me that sticker was a ‘Get out of Jail Free’ Card for minor infringements. Sounded like a good idea, as it was also supporting a donating organisation for “the children”.
Sticker never turned up, so I changed my mind about paying the letter of demand/donation. I was asked “what about the children?”. They called weekly, quoting “what about the children?”.
I never did ask what children they meant..
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 05:43 AM   #7
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=oldel;6564923]LOL that's just dumb.
Right wing grifting is always funny to me, lots of chumps got ripped off by trump in the same way

[/QUOTE
Yeah funny to me also, is the people that give to left wing, save the dolphin save everything Greenpeace style grifters that seem to infest malls and large food shop doorways. Who prey on the simple and to use your words chumps for there credit cards. Lol.
Enjoy your woke utopia were we all have to bend only to your style of thinking.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
LOL that's just dumb.
[/url]
**** you too.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

If you provide your details with a donation, then your details get shared among other charities' canvasing arms. If you are prepared to donate to one cause than you may be prepared to do the same for others too.

Door knockers are not interested in one off donations, they only want subscriptions; that is how they make their commissions. They are immune to "Do not knock" stickers too.

One good thing about COVID is - no backpackers going around door knocking

RE What about the children type of letters - We had very bad experience with one of the charities "supporting cancer research" at Newcastle university (not part of University it self). They used to send letters disguised as greeting cards around Christmas time as many other charities do. The letter was to the effect of - what you feel about enjoying yourself when so and so with various misfortune are suffering - what do you have to say to so and so...

As usual, there are on their way to recycle bin but. unfortunately, our kid who was learning to read at that time got hold of it and started reading it.

Long story short - I did get our details removed from charities databases. No more addressed canvassing letters.

Regards,
George V
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I have spare cash I will chip in to the bucket or leave me some details and I might make a one off to a website. Not into these recurring donations so I get to the point straight away.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The other workaround (of sorts) is a burner email. Obviously your email provider will then have some data but they may not share it with commercial entities in a readily-linked form.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #12
hayseed

I have absolutely NO Problem Donating directly to a Charity...

I do however have a massive Problem letting some "for profit" Collection sluts taking a (large)piece of the Action..!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #13
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Yeah funny to me also, is the people that give to left wing, save the dolphin save everything Greenpeace style grifters that seem to infest malls and large food shop doorways. Who prey on the simple and to use your words chumps for there credit cards. Lol.
Enjoy your woke utopia were we all have to bend only to your style of thinking.
Did I hurt your feelings, snowflake? Surely you didn't get scammed for donating to trumps winred did you? If not, why do you feel the need to use whataboutisms and feel so strongly about it?

Also laughing at the overuse of woke. Say it so much it's lost all meaning except being the antithesis of 'dumb' these days. Abused the word so much I mentally insert the term 'not dumb' when someone calls something woke.

No idea why people care so much about the chinese falun gong, a religious cult, and their epoch times. They are just grifting, figuring it's dead easy to get money from the extreme right.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #14
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
**** you too.
Did you even know when sending money to the epoch times you were sending it to the chinese religious cult 'falun gong'?

Grifters often prey on the extreme right because they're so easily tricked and misled for obvious reasons
Old 08-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #15
Pis-ton broke
Banned

delete;

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 08-04-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #16
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Did I hurt your feelings, snowflake? Surely you didn't get scammed for donating to trumps winred did you? If not, why do you feel the need to use whataboutisms and feel so strongly about it?

Also laughing at the overuse of woke. Say it so much it's lost all meaning except being the antithesis of 'dumb' these days. Abused the word so much I mentally insert the term 'not dumb' when someone calls something woke.

No idea why people care so much about the chinese falun gong, a religious cult, and their epoch times. They are just grifting, figuring it's dead easy to get money from the extreme right.
You assume so much champ, guess i'll leave you wondering. Can't imagine living a life with TDS, haha get over it the mans gone move on. Just quietly replacing him with a Thunderbirds extra wasn't the smartest move.

So back on topic i wont give to any of the large ones who would take ten bucks hold back nine of them for admin and one trickles down to said cause. The wife and i give to one cause only thats very personal to us, and it's more for medical research, so just maybe in the future a family somewhere wont have through a parents worst nightmare. Theres one more which is he St Johns ambos because they are only part funded by Govco here, and we have used there services on a couple of occasions.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Just quietly replacing him with a Thunderbirds extra wasn't the smartest move.
Quote of the week IMO.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #18
slowsnake
Banned

Mmmmm, charities eh, just what is charity?...I have been doing charitable things since I was in the Cub Scouts, it progressed through high school in the UK, I moved here in 1968.
Right through 4 years of high school during winter, and it was bloody cold in Liverpool, my mum asked me to stop at " old Mrs Barbers flat " every morning on the way to school and drag 2 coal shuttles up to the first floor and light her coal fire?

I was ****ed off at first, but, first time I did it I walked into this block of pensioner flats, it was snowing outside, but geez it was colder inside.
She was a little Irish lady, 86 yrs old and from our church, but it was like being in a freezer, I even ended up doing it on weekends.

That to me is charitable not doorknocking for a percentage of your donation, or in shopping centres too, I was told they take 50% of what they collect, and I've met some dodgy looking collectors, and they can open the container too, no locks.
I'm a trusting person, most of my charitable work now is my neighbours, I live in a line of 8 units, aged and disability, I do everything on their little Hyundai shopping trolleys, all for cost, I tell em to make me a thank you card, not buy one but make one!

Out of 7 neighbours 2 have still not given me a card, but that's life, once the good deed is done you have to forget about it, no pride allowed around here, but scammers and rip off merchants beware, do not doorknock me, and God Botherers too, they are the worst!

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #19
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I call it the, "stray cat syndrome"

You help one cat out, thinking you're doing the right thing
Next thing you know, every other stray cat in the neighbourhood is on your porch asking for a bowl of milk

I gave to one charity (and still do), and for a while I got letter after letter from other charities that were "desperately in need of funds" while sending me garbage like pens, stickers and magnets

The best charity to give is your time. Once money comes into it, the waters become muddied and abject greed sometimes takes over - at least once collection agencies get involved.

Kind acts cost nothing. Pay it forward etc.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post