Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Thunderbird Owners Club of Australia Inc > Thunderbird Market

Old 28-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
deano2469

Default 1959 thunderbird hot rod (unfinished project)

Sorry to have to do this but i am selling my dream of the last 5 or so years.My 1959 t-bird project.Details as follows

1959 Thunderbird unfinished project

The body has been totally overhauled, there is no rust anywhere, body was taken back to bare metal and repainted in Ford XR8 yellow (rapid).Passenger side door was done also but due to damage is only 95%.In the boot the spare wheel space has been modified to hold a 100 liter LPG tank. Fuel Tank is not compromised. The car has been modified to right hand drive.

Brake upgrades. Rear brakes are an MP Brake kit , rear disc brakes. Brand new lines and master cylinder. Front brakes are overhauled 1975 Lincoln Continental Disc brakes. Hand brake is operational.

Steering has been changed to right hand drive, the steering box is now a reconditioned falcon box, the idler arm was moved across to the left and drag link professionally cut and re-welded with ends swapped. I have certificate from welding company who performed the job. I am using BF Falcon steering column, end that joins box has been fabricated but not finished.

Wiring. All wiring is now from BF falcon, all in place, lights work, dash works but still need a couple of harnesses to complete. Electric windows are now BF falcon mechanisms . Headlights have been swapped to aussie ones and are working. Wiper motor needs to be replaced with electric one as old one was vacuum operated.

Engine. The engine in car is a Boss 260 BF series 2 5.4 liter v8 2006. The gearbox is a 6 speed ZF automatic. Tail shaft needs to be made yet. The engine was bought complete with harnesses , computer , radiator, dash and gear selector from the same car. The donor car was in an accident and there are a couple of dings in the pulley’s at the front, fixable though. The car had only done 24000 ks. Engine mounts and gearbox mounts have been fabricated but not approved yet. All components are mounted and ready to go. The original headers will not fit, very tight squeeze, have been told that I can have custom exhaust made that will fit, you would need to find a good place as would be a challenge.

Interior. The interior is basically stock, black and white , all covers, door skins, kick panels and dash were new , they have not been used at all but over time have got dusty and a little moldy, some cleaning would be required to bring them back to new. The consol needs to be fabricated as now needs to include a centre hand brake and gear selector, was also to hold gang window switch as well. The hood lining is only temporarily installed , I have installed 5 seatbelts , all retractable with droppers for the front ones. Brackets not yet approved so waiting for approval before can finish off.

Wheels. The wheels are 18 inch 100 spoke knock offs. Tyres are new and unused.

(these may be kept to lower price, as with Number plates)

Suspension. The suspension is the original gear, was holding out to put in air- ride so was left untouched.

The boot. The boot has all new fabric, LPG tank needs brackets to hold it down and my idea was to include a bracket on top to hold spare wheel so as to still have usable boot. There is no fuel tank as old one rusted out. BF falcon fuel pump is there and needs to be adapted to new tank.

The exterior. The exterior has one blemish in the paint that needs only to be blended in with a good sand and polish. All chrome is original equipment and as so has some pitting and dullness. Was intending to replace each piece as could afford. All glass is in car, with spare rear glass to go with it.

Car is listed on ebay , will listen to any offers over 20,000.feel free to email me for inspection sue_dean@bigpond.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg commodore2006_0708(013).JPG (61.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg commodore2006_0728(011).JPG (53.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg commodore2006_0730(002).JPG (68.5 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by deano2469; 28-02-2010 at 05:43 PM.
deano2469 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post