Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-02-2024, 08:07 PM   #31
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

Default Re: P2002 particulate filter efficiency below threshold

Msford did u end up sorting out your DPF issue?
goz007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2024, 11:34 AM   #32
AlanM

I'd strongly recommend getting an OBDex adapter and downloading Forscan (it's free just now).

As mentioned before, you can observe the DPF pressures real-time while running the engine. You'll soon know if it's really a blocked DPF or faulty sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msford View Post
Very fair point and I have been considering that. A decent replacement would cost me an extra $10k or more, depending on how old/new I was willing to buy.

And I actually like driving this car and, up until this incident, I had no consideration of replacing it. So, again, I agree about the devil I know.

Any recommendations for a good, independent mechanic in Melbourne? I live in the City but am prepared to travel a bit. I found one in South Melbourne with many great reviews but I think he's shut up shop for the holidays as he hasn't answered his phone or returned my messages. Bugger. I'll keep trying.

Cheers
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2024, 11:22 PM   #33
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz007 View Post
Msford did u end up sorting out your DPF issue?
No, sadly. I had the oil changed (was due) including making sure it was the absolute correct oil for my car (I bought it myself and gave it to the mechanic) but the engine malfunction warning came up on the first freeway drive afterwards.

I'm just resigned to living with it, to be honest. I can't justify spending more money trying to work out what it might be. It's some sort of an acceleration issue at a particular moment in the drive (usually up an incline) and it just triggers the sensor and puts me in Limp Mode.

As far as I can tell, the car/engine runs fine with the only exception being that I don't have any grunt up any inclines and I lose 10-20 kph, depending on the length of the incline. As soon as I level out I can accelerate freely again (whether in ACC mode or manual acceleration).

Cheers
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2024, 11:27 PM   #34
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
I'd strongly recommend getting an OBDex adapter and downloading Forscan (it's free just now).

As mentioned before, you can observe the DPF pressures real-time while running the engine. You'll soon know if it's really a blocked DPF or faulty sensors.
Assuming this isn't a dumb question, but surely the Ford dealer (and the independent mechanic I have used) have this adapter and would have been able to ascertain this? Especially the Ford dealer that was told me it was the sensor and I needed to change it only to not solve the problem at all.

Cheers
Old 06-02-2024, 08:17 AM   #35
AlanM

Quote:
Assuming this isn't a dumb question, but surely the Ford dealer (and the independent mechanic I have used) have this adapter and would have been able to ascertain this? Especially the Ford dealer that was told me it was the sensor and I needed to change it only to not solve the problem at all.

Cheers
You'd hope this would be the case, but sadly these days I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 06-02-2024, 09:07 AM   #36
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20430512...mis&media=COPY
Old 06-02-2024, 09:08 AM   #37
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

I'm assuming u have an MD msford(the link is for an MD Mondeo)
Old 06-02-2024, 09:21 AM   #38
AlanM

Quote:
They replaced the sensor and for a few weeks of city driving I didn't get the error but on my first freeway outing and driving at 110kph it came up. And continued to appear multiple times on the same trip, plus on the return (just today). Plus it has also occasionally come up during suburban drives at much lower speeds. So, it seems, I wasted my money on replacing the sensor.

I'm back to square one of not having the faintest idea of what the fix is, though that post prior about cleaning the DPF cheaply appeals.

Though I have to say that I'm not keen on spending more money replacing other parts that may not solve the problem. I'd willingly pay for the right fix, but the impression I'm getting from several mechanics I have asked and tried is that they will keep 'guessing' until they get it right and those 'guesses' will be at my expense. It's hard to find a mechanic that has actually dealt with this specific problem.

So, barring someone with the knowledge to work it out on their first go, I'm stuck with driving with the error code. From the research I have done, according to some 'experts' online it is an error that can be 'ignored'. The engine will run mostly fine but it will have its issues mainly when driving on an incline and it doesn't have the grunt to continue going at 110kph and it slows down 10-20kph depending on the level of incline. At least, that's my experience driving on the Hume Fwy.

Cheers
It's possible you have a new, different problem! If the car was good for a while after they replaced the sensor something else might have cropped up in the interim.

It really would pay to get an OBD adapter and Forscan. The symptoms you describe are exactly like a faulty MAF sensor, or even a leak downstream from the turbo causing a MAF sensor plausibility alarm. (I've seen both!)
Old 06-02-2024, 01:12 PM   #39
goz007
Diesel Sniffer

I bought the DPF in the link I listed, paid$250 for it from an MD that had done 122k, I thought it a good buy for the sensors alone(the DPF has 3 sensors mounted to it)
Old 12-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #40
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz007 View Post
I'm assuming u have an MD msford(the link is for an MD Mondeo)
FYI: I have the 2011 MC TDCI.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2024, 11:47 AM   #41
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
It's possible you have a new, different problem! If the car was good for a while after they replaced the sensor something else might have cropped up in the interim.

It really would pay to get an OBD adapter and Forscan. The symptoms you describe are exactly like a faulty MAF sensor, or even a leak downstream from the turbo causing a MAF sensor plausibility alarm. (I've seen both!)
My issue has predominantly (like 99%) occurred on freeway drives and at speeds of 80-90kph and higher. It has never been an issue in short city drives and has occurred maybe once or twice on an open bit of city driving when travelling at a little bit of speed and accelerating. It has never occurred when trundling along Hoddle St at 50 kph or less.

Cheers