Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
tickfrd6

Default cluster LEDS

Hey I took out my cluster to swap the white lights to blue LEDs and I'm having trouble making the LEDs stay in the little holder. Do they just slide in or am I doing something wrong? Also do I need to add a resistor to the LEDs?

Thanks

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
sleeper393

Thumbs up

your talking about the dark grey adaptor that the LED fits into ? sometimes they are to long , trim the base of the LED abit , the dark grey adaptor pushes into the cluster then twists to lock in place , make sure the LED's are in the right way as they wont work. shouldn't need a resistor , if you bought them of ebay , and they just push into the adaptor.
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL

Last edited by sleeper393; 09-07-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: missing
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
tickfrd6

I'm having trouble making them stay still. I've chopped the leds down but still keep falling out

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
cougermoon
Mr blue

they should just click in mate you dont need to chop anything. You cant just wack any old LED in you need the ones for those holders, you can get coloured ones of these at Malz or auto one etc. Also with the LED's most colours will not shine through the cluster as there is a colour filter on the cluster stopping any colour getting through. I have tryed this with many LED's and trust me mate... Not worth it, leave the ford ones in all day long

Good luck !!!

Will

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
tickfrd6

Ok so I got the LEDs in. They arnt the one for the holsters. It took me all day to figure out how to do it but I did it and let me tell you it's not the worth trouble LOL. I put super bright blue LEDs in and it shines a perfect blue throught the colour filter. I'll take some pics later on and post them up if you want.

Matt

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
cougermoon
Mr blue

Awesome mate!

Engine Mods:| 4499's Pacies | 2.5" single muffler Redback Cat back | Hi-Flow Cat | Custom intake 3" | SS CAI snorkel | BM Hi-Flow Filter |

Visual Mods:| Clear side indicators | Tickford Wings | XR dash cluster | Black gear surround and shifter | Painted brakes | 18" BF XR8 mags | Black chrome tail lights

My Build
cougermoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
sleeper393

Talking

au fords take t5 led's , not sure of what other models take
Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
sleeper393

i have the t series facia silver and the numbers are in blue so the white led's work a treat , i found out with the xr series facia that if you run blue bulbs they dont light up the needles very well , make sure you get wide angle leds.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3588wt_1137
Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
tickfrd6

So I've been told it's illegal to what the blue cluster lights? What's the deal with that?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
sleeper393

Thumbs up

because the needles dont light up with the blue bulbs , yeah maybe deemed to have a defected vehicle , thats why i switched over to the t series facia and run white led's , as the illuminate the needles , and the t series blue numbers light up a treat. these are some that are available , if you can get an original one even better , i picked one up for $40

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Falcon-A...ht_2232wt_1162
Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
tickfrd6

Yeh but it doesn't have the tickford badge on it :( LOL do you have a picture of it lit up? Would be good to see it.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
sleeper393

i'll see if i can get a pick of mine , not real bright at the moment as i have to replace two bulbs that were dislodged on alot of bumpy road KM,s this is similar to what it would look like , but red needles on au

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2346/15082009001y.jpg

Last edited by sleeper393; 12-07-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: missing
Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
tickfrd6

I ended up taking the LEDs because it was so hard to see the needle.
sleeper393 i like the look of that t-series cluster but im not sure if i want to spend $80 on it. What about the coloured plastic things you can get from auto barn that slip over the standard globe? Would i have to get green to make it a blue light and also would the needles still light up?
Really appreciate all your help guys.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
sleeper393

nah there **** , because the standard globes aren't bright enough the dash will be very poorly illuminated,
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you have an AU1, the red on the needles just rubs off (with a stanley knife blade) - the needle is then clear. If you have AU2+, the whole needle is red, so just use a different volour, or do what I did, and run a red LED to light up the needle, and blue for the rest. You end up with Blue/purple/red/purple/blue - looks better than it sounds.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
tickfrd6

Jc that sounds like a good idea. The needles light up so you can see them properly? Where did u place the red LEDs so the needle lights up re. Very intereted to know.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
Jc that sounds like a good idea. The needles light up so you can see them properly? Where did u place the red LEDs so the needle lights up re. Very intereted to know.
Place the red LEDS in the closest holder to the centre of the needle. Too easy.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 13-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #18
tickfrd6

Thanks jc I gues it's all just a matter of trial and error getting it right. I'll go down to J car tomorrow and see how much they have the T5 LEDs for. Pretty sure they would have some there.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 13-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #19
sleeper393

Thumbs up

cheaper on ebay , 10 for $4.00 , but then you have to wait for delivery.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/5x-12V-White-...item1c12e08c25
these are some variations above abit dearer and different type but still t5 , as i said make sure you get wide angle ones.

Last edited by sleeper393; 13-07-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: missing
Old 13-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Anyone know if the needles off a S1 cluster will fit S2/3?

I've had the blue leds for quite a while but never got around to doing anything about the needles.

edit: As long as they fit I 'spose the needles off anything (earlier Ford?) will do. Any ideas?

Last edited by ronwest; 13-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

So to change the bulbs in the cluster, is it just a matter of unscrewing the cluster to get to it? Then using your average T5 wedges as replacement bulbs?

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
tickfrd6

That's it just the two screws. But he carefull pulling the whole thing out because I almost cracked the plastic thing trying to get it out. The rest is held on with clips.

Sleeper393 thanks for the link man. That's pretty cheap 10 for $4 might just snap them up and see how it all looks.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 13-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Anyone know if the needles off a S1 cluster will fit S2/3?

I've had the blue leds for quite a while but never got around to doing anything about the needles.

edit: As long as they fit I 'spose the needles off anything (earlier Ford?) will do. Any ideas?
Yep, S1 needles fit S2/3. So do BA needles. EF/EL should as well.

Old 13-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
That's it just the two screws. But he carefull pulling the whole thing out because I almost cracked the plastic thing trying to get it out. The rest is held on with clips.
Too easy thanks mate

Subaru Outback '02
Old 14-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #25
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yep, S1 needles fit S2/3. So do BA needles. EF/EL should as well.
Off to the wreckers...

Cheers mate
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
tickfrd6

Bit of an update on the change over. I went and bough the T5 LEDs, red and blue. I put them in but 2 of them arnt turining on. I've tried swapping the holders around but still nothing. Does it matter which way the go in? Apart from all the the needles light up a nice bright red and really mixes in with the blue. I once I get the rest working I'll get a photo up tonight of how it looks.
Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Matt

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 15-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

It does matter which way they go in, + - right. so swap them around in their holders.

And dont forget the pics ;)

Subaru Outback '02
Old 15-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #28
tickfrd6

Ok just swapped them around thanks for that theinterceptor. Like JC said it's more of a purle blue color but it looks good from I can see during the day. The needles look like they light up a nice red too. The only thing is the speedo needle doesn't light up all the way probably half way but as the need goes further up it starts lighting up alot more. I'll take the pics tonigt so you can see it properly.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 15-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
tickfrd6

Ok got a pic of it. It doesnt really show justice but ill post it up anyway. The needles are red not orange dont know why it came up like that so any orange you see is red.

let me know what you think.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 15-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #30
XR6SQ

looks good, I take it the orangey colour isnt showing through the numbers like the pic shows?

Im trying to figure out how to get pure white dash lights, not sure what to do about that.