Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #3571
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

What flavour - double apple?

I left-footed it in the local Lebanese grocery once, by referring to a nargila; didn’t go down well.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #3572
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Well, anyone who has worked in retail will know, some days seem to bring all the nuff nuff's through the door. Today was one of those, both in store and on the phone. I tend to think tonight will be a full moon.

At least my final customer for the day was "normal".
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #3573
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What flavour - double apple?

I left-footed it in the local Lebanese grocery once, by referring to a nargila; didn’t go down well.
Apple is my favourite I must confess.

In Egypt I even found Cola flavour. Was tempted to bring some home but didn't think it would get through customs.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2021, 10:04 PM   #3574
slowsnake
Banned

Wonder if they could make "cat" flavoured?...
Siamese..
Burmese..
Tabby..
Ragdoll..
Felix!..

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #3575
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

YF, love the photo share there.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 07:12 AM   #3576
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Been browsing the latest issue of Sydney Covid exposure locations and got distracted by a manoosh shop mentioned there. Checked their reviews, menu, customer photos - now all I can think is how badly I would like to try their triple cheese kaak. At least it’s “broken the spell” of desiring chocolate mudcake.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #3577
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Wonder if they could make "cat" flavoured?...
Siamese..
Burmese..
Tabby..
Ragdoll..
Felix!..

Cheers King Billy
Doubt it... not all that popular in the Asian countries I found

Old 11-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #3578
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Or when you are actually starting to close the gates for the day and a customer asks "are you shutting?"...............hmmm, no just making sure the gate still swings.

i actually walked up & said "are you shut"? .... we got served but the next people didn't
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #3579
slowsnake
Banned

Had a small metal fabrication shop in or near Cabramatta, dudes would walk into the workshop and usually ask " is the boss around " and depending wether I had a good day or not I would answer " no mate, he's a truncated cone "....lol...

Cheers King Billy
Old 12-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #3580
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
That ain't me... I enjoy my food much more than that guy

Just after dinner while on a dessert trek in Dubai
And you worry about Covid?

LOL.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #3581
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point...Dont share bongs, people. And no more passing dutchy to the left hand side.
Old 13-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #3582
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
And you worry about Covid?

LOL.
Not at all, looking forward to the borders opening so I can bugger off overseas.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Old 13-07-2021, 10:43 PM   #3583
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Poor bloke, it was not an “investment” collection but a bunch of stuff he enjoyed having.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...eyan/100286576
Old 19-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #3584
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m swearing at a nameless electrician who decided a cavity drop was the clever way to get power to a wall socket. The brick is grabbing the sheathing, I can’t push it out the way enough to do my thing.
Old 19-07-2021, 06:06 PM   #3585
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And what is the thing you’re trying to do ?
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #3586
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Cut into the wall about 75mm above it, then drill through, without damaging the cabling.
Old 19-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #3587
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it possible to do the last 10 mm with a masonry bit on rotate but not hammer ? ie. gently avoid wrecking the cable. Or hand chisel ?
Alternatively attach a tough draw wire to the cable and pull it up into the roof space. If there is one.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #3588
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ll get there, plan A is to work carefully, if the brick is crumbly I go to Plan B which is to pull it up temporarily as you describe. It’s a bit harder because the cabling is older single strand; less supple. I’ve also got a couple of worn out 5 and 6,5mm SDS bits that I use as small chisels (hammer setting only) to finesse cutouts. If the cable had been laid in conduit I’d be finished three times over.
Old 19-07-2021, 09:05 PM   #3589
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ll get there, plan A is to work carefully, if the brick is crumbly I go to Plan B which is to pull it up temporarily as you describe. It’s a bit harder because the cabling is older single strand; less supple. I’ve also got a couple of worn out 5 and 6,5mm SDS bits that I use as small chisels (hammer setting only) to finesse cutouts. If the cable had been laid in conduit I’d be finished three times over.
Sounds like it was done in the Middle Ages, I wouldn't put anything metal around something I can't see "electricity "
especially if the insulation is suss?

Cheers Billy.
Old 20-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #3590
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I’m swearing at a nameless electrician who decided a cavity drop was the clever way to get power to a wall socket. The brick is grabbing the sheathing, I can’t push it out the way enough to do my thing.
I win; pass the chemset and it’s a job.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #3591
slowsnake
Banned

Looks good, but why not get a router and just rout a channel on the wall surface and bog it up?

Cheers Billy.
Old 20-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #3592
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d still have to hand finish the top of the chase, then it’s 28 days of raw concrete before I can skim and paint again, rather than a small margin of repair around the panel. Trying to keep the chaos to a working minimum. My biggest concern now is, if we’re locked down until late September it’s literally going to be months before the real sparky can inspect and alter as needed.
Old 20-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #3593
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coulda used a wall mounting plate eg Clipsal 449asd
Old 20-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #3594
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That would have been an OK compromise, didn’t think of it at the time.

I worked in one brick house from about 1920 which had heavy gauge copper plumbing inside the wall cavity. That did my head in, because the roof was pitched on the outside wall - so they must have put up the internal walls first, roughed in the water and gas (it had lead pipes buried in the wall for gas lamps) then finished the outer skin off.
Old 23-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #3595
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the latest Repco clearance catalogue email.
Had a look, heaps of stuff for panel and paint, rust inhibitor, sound deadener etc really, really cheap, I selected about 8 items.
Sorry not available in Perth. F.O.!!
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #3596
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just back from a walk; picked up a piece of polystyrene foam; my inner compulsive rubbish-picker-upper can't leave it there; that street had its rubbish collection today; why have we got so many morons who insist on putting this **** loose in their bins so that when the truck's arms pick the bin up and flip it over above the truck to empty it, it floats away ... Some of these brightest of sparks will even put loose polystyrene beads in their bins ... I would ban polystyrene if I could.

Then you get the builders who use it under concrete slabs and allow the left-over polystyrene to float away whenever the wind blows. I should suggest to my local council that builders using this **** be required to put up a $2,000 or so bond in case the wind blows ...
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 07:47 PM   #3597
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Just back from a walk; picked up a piece of polystyrene foam; my inner compulsive rubbish-picker-upper can't leave it there; that street had its rubbish collection today; why have we got so many morons who insist on putting this **** loose in their bins so that when the truck's arms pick the bin up and flip it over above the truck to empty it, it floats away ... Some of these brightest of sparks will even put loose polystyrene beads in their bins ... I would ban polystyrene if I could.

Then you get the builders who use it under concrete slabs and allow the left-over polystyrene to float away whenever the wind blows. I should suggest to my local council that builders using this **** be required to put up a $2,000 or so bond in case the wind blows ...
Actions speak louder than words.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #3598
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a long stretch of Barkly Hwy with bits of polystyrene strewn either side. Initially thought they were little flowers and then realised...it went on for many kms, near impossible to collect up.
Next town we saw a council guy picking up litter by the road as we entered... if he knew what was further down the road he would be defeated.
Old 24-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #3599
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Polystyrene is a real problem. It breaks into smaller and smaller pieces, over and over and over. It could be from building products, white goods packaging, fruit/veg. boxes, whatever. But it stems from people just not giving a **** about the environment. Two or three years ago I was driving on a freeway and ahead I could see all this white stuff ... some moron must have had a refill bag of foam beads in the back of a ute, unsecured ... it had blown out (surprise!!!), got busted and the beads were blowing all over the place.

Today, at a train station: 'they' use plastic zip ties to fix the latest cor flute advertising poster to a fence and when it's time to remove it, use the Stanley knife to cut the zip ties and just leave them there. Too hard to pick them up and bin them. This happens all all over the place, not just train stations.

There are more good-spirited people out there picking up rubbish, but the amount of rubbish is incredible/insurmountable.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #3600
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luckily no idiot backpacker has ever taken a beanbag to the beach and breached it.
Oh wait ....