Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default What makes new cars new

Lo all

Not sure where to put this, I have had a look around and can't find a good spot for it, so its going in the Pub.

Anyone who has stepped out of an older Falcon (say an ED) and into a relatively new one (say a BAII) can testify that the new car just feels, well newer. Apart from the ride, and the visual input of the older vs newer dash and interior, it just feels classier and more refined.

My question is, how can i make my car feel new again? What is it that makes the difference? Obviously the monster under the hood will detract from the refined feel, but I cant think of anything else aside from maybe installing some sound deadening material.

Also, how can I make the steering less numb and more communicative without making it heavier? The low profile tyres have helped but it still feels kinda lifeless.

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Yep,
Sound deadening and new materials on seats/carperts.. Even dashboards/roof lining and doors are made from very different material nowadays.

Other than the fact is might be cleaner and smell newer, it would be coming down to how it drives I rekon, how tight and sensitive it is while being fairly comfortable.

I used to drive my dads EBII Fairmont around; it felt and smelt new just as it was in 'like new' condition inside...
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Replace all steering, suspension and braking expendebles; that is, bushes, CV's, pads, rotors, etc etc, shocks, you get the idea. Pull your dash and console apart and give it a good clean, then reassemble and tighten everything up nice and tight. Adjust handbrake, pedals, clean dash cluster and regas your A/C and clean vents. Get car detailed. Probably as much as you can do without fitting a much much newer interior, ie: BF GTP or something.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
500SEC

New cars smell newer
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

might also try either re-upholstering your seats or swapping for newer items. Unfortunatly it can be nearly impossible to make an old car drive like new again, due to ever advancing technology and investment in R+D but with simple maintenence you can certainly make it feel "newer"
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 20-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to your local ford dealer and whack on some number plate surrounds & maybe stick on an AHG sticker on your boot?

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Replace all steering, suspension and braking expendebles; that is, bushes, CV's, pads, rotors, etc etc, shocks, you get the idea.
This makes all the difference, it was like night and day the last time my car had that type of service.

Oh, and this.

dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
big-e
In the jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
Replace all steering, suspension and braking expendebles; that is, bushes, CV's, pads, rotors, etc etc, shocks, you get the idea. Pull your dash and console apart and give it a good clean, then reassemble and tighten everything up nice and tight. Adjust handbrake, pedals, clean dash cluster and regas your A/C and clean vents. Get car detailed. Probably as much as you can do without fitting a much much newer interior, ie: BF GTP or something.
Or just buy a newer car.
---->T2 TS50 (#42) Venom<---- T2 TS50 factory manual :
big-e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As mentioned, do all the bushes in the suspension and steering etc. To me a "new car" feel is one that is "tight". Firm feeling, tight feeling, no squeaks.

But go the the nearest saddlery/leather place and ask for a few small off cuts from their leather products.

Why? Throw the off cuts under the front seats and other hidden place around the interior.

Voila. New car smell!!!
Old 21-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-e
Or just buy a newer car.
Sometimes, you just don't want a new car. You'd just like yours a bit different or better. Not all of us can afford a new toy, but can afford to fix our current car up a bit. If I had a 555rwkw ED I wouldnt sell it for something newer...
Game. Reinvented.

Old 21-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Wally
XP Coupe

Brush some Landau Top and Trim on a newspaper, let dry and place in boot.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Sometimes, you just don't want a new car. You'd just like yours a bit different or better. Not all of us can afford a new toy, but can afford to fix our current car up a bit. If I had a 555rwkw ED I wouldn't sell it for something newer...
This person understands. Thank you, sir.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 21-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

No problem. Out of interest, what are you going to do to make your car newer?
Game. Reinvented.

Old 21-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I'm thinking about pulling the whole interior out (dash, seats, carpet, the works), and then find out what the hell it is thats causing that creaking in the back. Then I'm doing a 2 door mod, and finally some sound deadening material and a new interior out of a late model Falcon (BA GT maybe).

All the suspension and bushes have already been replaced with Pedders performance gear.

If anyone has any other ideas that might help, please let me know.

Also, how can I make the steering less numb and more communicative without making it heavier? The low profile tyres have helped but it still feels kinda lifeless.
Old 21-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

All I can suggest is maybe recon power steering pump, new fluid, and that's pretty much it. Without going loco on it, that's a cheap option that will help improve your steering.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 21-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
im guessing a change to a stiffer sway bar may give you more of the feel youre after

are they just standard at the moment?
Old 21-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Have you replaced your steering rack and maybe pump?
Old 21-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

by the way, i like the sound of 555rwkw :hihi:

have you got a thread on your car anywhere?
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Yeah its just the stock sway bar, thinking about going with performance front and rear ones tho, should tighten it up a bit.

Will a new OEM spec steering rack and pump really help, or is it just a shot in the dark?

Don't have a thread on the car, but once I finish it ill post up some pics.
Old 21-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

You could always consider airbagging the car, costly I know but apparently it dramatically removes alot of NVH and bumps..?
Game. Reinvented.

Old 22-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #21
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
You could always consider airbagging the car, costly I know but apparently it dramatically removes alot of NVH and bumps..?
I suspect I may have to. Speed bumps and driveways are an issue as it is, and its still not as low as I want it to be. Being able to jack it up a little with the touch of a button would sure come in handy.
Old 22-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #22
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for this thread, as I am feeling a little dejected with the wagon at the moment - it might just be that it's the End of Winter and it is absolutely filthy underside, inside and out. Whilst I really have no intention of updating, I am thinking of what I can do to bring it back up to the standard it has been in the past.

I have really got to "pull my finger out" and do my head gasket and at the same time fit a new cam. I'm happy with the rest of the running gear as it has all be rebuilt a few years ago. For a 15 yr old car, it still looks after it's tyres really well so there's no real problem with the suspension, it might just need some new bushes and the Bilsteins I have been promising for some time now.

Paint wise at the moment is not too bad but it is getting a bit thin in some places - Door handles, mirrors and spoilers all need to be redone.

Interior - well this is where I'd really like to do something, starting with a Fairmont dash and wireing for the rear power windows. (I already have the door trims) I would also like to retrim my seats. Hoodlining has sagged but that will be fixed up at some time.

That's really about all I would do - yes I could trade up to a newy but I feel that with only 198 manual XR6 wagons out there is just that little bit more exclusive.

My Gallery Photos Here

Last edited by XR6WGN; 22-08-2009 at 12:27 AM.
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post