Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Ford Marketing Presentation - Melbourne 16th August‏

Hey guys,

Did anyone sign up to attend the Ford Marketing Presentation in Melbourne this week?

It was launched and discussed on http://www.facebook.com/FordAustralia after much criticism was received about their lack of Marketing and Strategy.

Just wondered if anyone from here was going to check it out? And wonder if anyone will be able to report back what is discussed.

I understand that all attendees will need to sign a "Confidentiality Agreement" which is legally binding. Interesting.

Cheers,
Loftie

Old 14-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Marketing Presentation - Melbourne 16th August‏

Should be interesting
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So does that mean the selected few will be told, while the rest will still be in the dark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Hey guys,

Did anyone sign up to attend the Ford Marketing Presentation in Melbourne this week?

It was launched and discussed on http://www.facebook.com/FordAustralia after much criticism was received about their lack of Marketing and Strategy.

Just wondered if anyone from here was going to check it out? And wonder if anyone will be able to report back what is discussed.

I understand that all attendees will need to sign a "Confidentiality Agreement" which is legally binding. Interesting.

Cheers,
Loftie
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Apparently the presentation is by David Katic (General Marketing Manager of Ford Australia) and goes for about 90 mins.

I am confused why Ford Aus would bow down to 'keyboard warriors' that seem to know everything about everything?

And to bring in the 'boss' of marketing makes it sound like they are serious - so only time will tell.
Old 14-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Listening to audiences like this including those 'keyboard warriors' may just plant a seed that grows into something good. A good idea can come from anywhere and its fantastic that they're engaging in different ways with the community as things clearly aren't working that well right now!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Listening to audiences like this including those 'keyboard warriors' may just plant a seed that grows into something good.
Who said anything about listening?
This is about convincing key personell on several Ford fan websites that Ford is right

Quote:
A good idea can come from anywhere and its fantastic that they're engaging in different ways with the community as things clearly aren't working that well right now!
This is damage control, marketing is useless if your fan base becomes your biggest critics.
Time to hose down the speculation and replace with facts and figures from within,
then let the message filer back out onto the boards, hopefully changing perception.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to the Sydney presentation which is tonight. I have had to sign a 5 page non disclosure document which means you won't be getting the info fed onto this website...at least not from me! I'm hoping some other FFau people come tonight- it'd be nice to put faces and names to usernames...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

^^ Why advertise it on FacePalm for all and sundry to sign up, then wave an NDA form at them???
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was only advertised to people who "liked" Ford Falcon. To be honest though, I was suprised it was not advertised on this board.

From the very outset, I was informed about the NDA. I suspect that this will relate to un upcoming marketing campaign so to prevent people blabbering and then the possibility of a competitor picking up the campaign themselves so Ford can't use it, the NDA is required. This is what I've previously experienced working in retail.
Old 15-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Loftie
I did. And I am attending. I will gladly report back items that are not in contravention of the confidentailty agreement, and nothing that is. Sorry but that is the rules. Regardless, I don't expect that they will give us any true company secrets. But this time tomorrow I'll know.

Quote:
I am confused why Ford Aus would bow down to 'keyboard warriors' that seem to know everything about everything?

And to bring in the 'boss' of marketing makes it sound like they are serious - so only time will tell.
Ford engaging and listening to customers is vital. Call it a focus group.
This is a great intiative and I applaud it. I plan to go with an open mind and a list of questions which hopefully I get to ask. As for being a "Keyboard Warrior" I wont bother justifying myself to you. But I believe I am more than qualified to participate meaningfully in this.

If that makes me a "keyboard warrior" to you, so be it.
Old 15-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
I did. And I am attending. I will gladly report back items that are not in contravention of the confidentailty agreement, and nothing that is. Sorry but that is the rules. Regardless, I don't expect that they will give us any true company secrets. But this time tomorrow I'll know.

Ford engaging and listening to customers is vital. Call it a focus group.
This is a great intiative and I applaud it. I plan to go with an open mind and a list of questions which hopefully I get to ask. As for being a "Keyboard Warrior" I wont bother justifying myself to you. But I believe I am more than qualified to participate meaningfully in this.

If that makes me a "keyboard warrior" to you, so be it.
Elks - certainly wasn't aiming my comments at anyone in particular - but after reading some of the tripe that was posted on the Ford Australia Facebook page - "Keyboard Warrior" was the nicest way to describe the contributors without offending moderators here.

I will also be attending and also feel that I'm qualified to participate meaningfully. I am a previous customer, a potential future customer, a critic, and I work in a relevant field.

Certainly didn't mean to portray any of my comments 'negatively' in fact feel that a lot more could be done by forum users here with a bit more 'glass half full' attitude.

And I'm certainly hoping that the majority of attendees tomorrow carry your open minded attitude - and hopefully the seminar isn't hijacked by idiots.

As you said - by this time tomorrow - we'll be in position to comment.
Old 15-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Will us that aren't able to attend be able to get a small insight whether or not they're trying to save or destroy the Falcon?
Old 15-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Will us that aren't able to attend be able to get a small insight whether or not they're trying to save or destroy the Falcon?
I doubt that those who do attend will be getting information like that. This is a presentation about current/near future marketing strategies from what I gathered...
Old 15-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Well one would think that if it seemed they had a plan to market the Falcon, they would be able to tell if it's yay or nay
Old 15-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'd be interested to know wether they are actually planning any form of advertising campaign for Falcon, or wether they will spend a fair bit of time at the presentation trying to justify why they aren't.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I applied for it but didn't get invited :'(
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I stand by what I said earlier,
Basically, the non-advertising of Falcon is a commercial decision where Ford feels that TV advertising
would not increase sales enough to justify a return on investment in that advertising strategy.
I can understand that in a market where buyers clearly want products other than large cars.
One can only imagine what the budge must look like these days.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the Sydney one was last night and I enjoyed it- it was good to meet a few of the marketing team, having heard their names in media stuff previously. I have a better appreciation now of how and why their products are marketed the way they are. I was expecting it to be a bigger event but there were only 11 people- we all got to talk and ask questions of the team there which was really good.

It was also good to meet a few members from here and the Falcon facebook page
Old 16-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
I was expecting it to be a bigger event but there were only 11 people- we all got to talk and ask questions of the team there which was really good.
11 from Ford? Or 11 total?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
probably because they are aware of the damage that forums like this one are doing to the brand. if the negativity on this forum was replaced with positivity, there is a good chance it would equate to better sales. anyone doing a search on falcon would end up at AFF and if you are honest, would you buy one after reading a handful of comments/threads on here??

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
11 from Ford? Or 11 total?
11 total i believe. hopefully the melb one fares a little better.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
probably because they are aware of the damage that forums like this one are doing to the brand. if the negativity on this forum was replaced with positivity, there is a good chance it would equate to better sales. anyone doing a search on falcon would end up at AFF and if you are honest, would you buy one after reading a handful of comments/threads on here??

Of all my friends who have bought cars in the last 12 months not one of them has gone searching through internet forums......

The biggest buyers of Falcons have always been fleets anyways... Not private buyers, so why would you waste the money marketing on tv when you only sell 10% of your cars to private.... Fleets are more interested on the paper proposals (fuel costs, resales values and meeting carbon guidelines)... Do you think fleet operators sit at home picking cars to buy based on tv commercials? The 10% of personal buyers who buy them have been typically buying them for life....

Ford should have registered 100 Ecolpi / ecoboost cars and given them to the likes of Fleet Care & Lease Plan for 6 months and told them to send them around the country to all their fleet operators for appraisal, with what they would get back for them through Ford Auctions at the end of the 6 months it would cost them stuff all to do, and would potentially boost sales by 500 - 600 cars a month!

The ecoboost Falcon is potentially one of the best fleet hacks on the market, sadly no one knows about it!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Of all my friends who have bought cars in the last 12 months not one of them has gone searching through internet forums......
oh, so that must mean it doesn't happen then. sorry, i stand corrected. people don't use the internet to research.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was the late guy
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the outcome was??
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

prydey..people post comments here , which are mostly frustration at Ford Australia's commitment to Falcon. Yes, it is the Ford Motor Company, not the Falcon Motor Company. Most of us love the Falcon and hate the lack of commitment from Ford Aus. The Ford Dealer near me, the front row is all Euro Ford's..the Falcon at the back. Hardly see one from the road. Where as local Chrysler dealer has the new 300C, on an elevated stand and others at ground level. This attracts attention..You wouldn't know the Falcon existed driving past my Ford dealer. Just my opinion..flame me..
Old 16-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
prydey..people post comments here , which are mostly frustration at Ford Australia's commitment to Falcon. Yes, it is the Ford Motor Company, not the Falcon Motor Company. Most of us love the Falcon and hate the lack of commitment from Ford Aus. The Ford Dealer near me, the front row is all Euro Ford's..the Falcon at the back. Hardly see one from the road. Where as local Chrysler dealer has the new 300C, on an elevated stand and others at ground level. This attracts attention..You wouldn't know the Falcon existed driving past my Ford dealer. Just my opinion..flame me..
Denmac at Darra??

You do know they move them around once a month?? What about the cars they put on the footpath everyday? FPV's!!! Id be putting Fiestas and Focus's at the front because they are the ones buyers want!!!

Its fleet buyers... plain and simple... They are not ordering Falcons.... Ford caused alot of that demise in 2010 when Egas and wagon went out of production.... Companies were forced to look elsewhere... Big fleets like Telstra who relied on Ford and supported Ford with Falcon for 30+ years.

The private buyer is changing, but not at the same extent the fleet buyer is.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11 guests, plus Ford people. FalconXV, If you were the late guy then you were sitting next to me...

As for 'faring better', I believe it was only supposed to be an intimate kinda thing- they said they were expecting 20 to the Melbourne meet.

Quote:
And the outcome was??
The outcome was exactly as I described it above...I and everyone else there have a better appreciation of how and why Ford markets its products. I wouldn't expect any more detail out of anyone else either, NDA and all.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
oh, so that must mean it doesn't happen then. sorry, i stand corrected. people don't use the internet to research.
Not the forums.... If i wasn't an enthusiast I would not go looking on some forum I had to join.... Perhaps Carsguide or Carsales....
Old 16-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dash GT..Denmacs..I rarely see a Falcon or FPV on the footpath..mainly the Euro's. I drive past every day coming home. I agree, put what sells out front..but not a token Falcon or FPV...the next 12 months will be interesting!!!
Old 16-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Dash GT..Denmacs..I rarely see a Falcon or FPV on the footpath..mainly the Euro's. I drive past every day coming home. I agree, put what sells out front..but not a token Falcon or FPV...the next 12 months will be interesting!!!
Well they do switch them around once a month... They typically put falcons towards the middle of the front row.