Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #1
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dairy Farmer Issues

Ok, i dont mean to sound like an insensitive *****, and am willing to be further informed, but alot of the issues and outcry from Dairy farmers doesnt make much sense to me. From my understanding,most of the larger Milk processors are either Farmer cooperatives,or were Farmer cooperatives. Thus its actually the Farmers who are the shareholders of the processors, and in reality it themselves who have elected individuals to offer them a lower milk price. If you look at the Board of Directors of Murray Goulburn, most of them have Dairy Farms.

Off course, they are offering these lower prices, due to lower world prices. But its also the Farmers etc that wanted the world to be open up to allow them to chase other markets. I cant recall the farmers complaining when they were receiving too much money when things were going good.

Again, the Price of milk (or the price of solids - which i think milk prices are based on), has fallen due to production out stripping demand. Is it not just the world saying, cut down on your production, and prices will stabalise. Is farming somehow different to any other business?

Last time i checked, Neither Coles or Woolworths had special machines that allowed them to make Milk. They are getting their Milk from Dairy Farmers. Its not Coles or Woolworths or even Customers that are damaging Dairy Farmers, is it not themselves.

Maybe Dairy Farmers should form a sort of Union (Farmers Union sounds logical, but already taken lol). Oh actually they already do, its called Farmer Cooperatives like Murray Goulburn etc.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dairy Farmer Issues

One thing I find funny with this whole milk thing is yesterday Coles said customers will be able to buy milk that costs 20 cents extra and the profits will be donated to the farmers by Coles.

All I hear out of that is Coles charging extra for the milk, public think they are doing something good and get a warm fuzzy feeling inside, Coles donates money to the farmers and takes all the credit plus all the tax perks for donations.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i honestly don't know why people buy the cheap white water,

quality milk tastes great, add caramel or milo and its one of the best drinks ever.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

When bottled water costs more than bottled milk there's an issue somewhere.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I buy my milk from Coles at $1/litre, because it's convenient for me to shop there.

I wouldn't mind paying what was initially proposed as a 20c levy per litre (maybe 50c now) to help the farmers. Without those people we'd be ****ed. I do not want to buy imported milk because our dairy farmers have gone bust - that's nuts!

I heard this briefly on the radio yesterday about Coles and haven't given it any research. How do I know that Coles' levy will go directly back to the dairy farmers at the farmgate?

Yes, Coles doesn't buy directly from the dairy, they buy through a co-op and the coin changes through many hands before it lands in our fridge. There's storage, packaging, refrigeration, distribution and retailing to consider.

Pretty cheap at $1/per litre all things considered?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

The problem with buying $1/litre milk is that you're enabling the Coles/Woolworths juggernaut, which will continue to steamroller ALL suppliers - not just talking milk here - and force those that don't play ball out altogether.

Anyone noticed how many Coles/Woolworths brands are on the shelves lately? Have you also noticed that the branded products are gradually disappearing?

Everyone thinks the low prices are terrific, but how will things look when the only brands left on the shelf are the 'premium' brands, and the staples are all Coles/Woolworths? They'll then push the prices up - because what are you going to do? There will be no alternatives. Pay more for their arguably inferior product, or pay more again for the premium stuff that they make a larger margin on?

Eventually they'll push the 'premium' brand stuff out too, and bring in their own premium lines - except in high income localities where people are happy to pay for the good stuff (they already stock their supermarkets differently between low income and high income areas).

This is hardly rocket science... there's no free lunch. Support the branded product manufacturers, or kiss them goodbye - and then pay the higher prices for an inferior product.

Make no mistake, Coles/Woolworths are completely ruthless and without ethics when it comes to maximising shareholder profit.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
i honestly don't know why people buy the cheap white water,

quality milk tastes great, add caramel or milo and its one of the best drinks ever.
Yep my kids can certainly taste the difference. $1/litre milk has had all the good stuff taken out, and then just enough put back in so they can legally call it milk.
1969 Kombi
Old 19-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wish farmers would have their own online stores setup or distribution network of some sort, it would be great to be able to cut out Coles/Safeway and the questionable business practices how they squeeze the crap out of farmers and then sell their products for huge margins when the customer pays for it.

I'd be down for buying direct from a farm as long as they could get their product to me somehow.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo View Post
Make no mistake, Coles/Woolworths are completely ruthless and without ethics when it comes to maximising shareholder profit.
I remember hearing an interview on ABC radio a few years ago with a Dairy farmer from near Murray Bridge (SA)

Seems he put his dairy farm on the market which came with a Coles contract.
He was approached by a rep from Coles with a price that was way under what he wanted.

When he refused he was told that if he didn't take them up on the offer the contract might not be there for the next owner.
Now exactly extortion but awfully close, as he said that without the contract it would be much harder to sell the property.
Old 19-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

The main people to "blame" ultimately are the people that buy private label milk at the prices the big two sell it for. There is a lot of choice outside of Coles/Woolworths private label brands.

The ones I feel for are the farmers in the co-ops that fell for the business model that promised a lot and delivered little in the medium/long term. Pre the big 2's deal, retail price per litre on private label averaged $1.55 pre 2010. Post 2010 the average has hovered around $1.00. Doesn't need much thought on who is ultimately wearing that cost reduction. Gets even worse if you factor inflation over the past 5/6 years.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
From my understanding,most of the larger Milk processors are either Farmer cooperatives,or were Farmer cooperatives. Thus its actually the Farmers who are the shareholders of the processors, and in reality it themselves who have elected individuals to offer them a lower milk price. If you look at the Board of Directors of Murray Goulburn, most of them have Dairy Farms.
The former chief Gary Helou is under ACCC investigation.

Quote:
Off course, they are offering these lower prices, due to lower world prices. But its also the Farmers etc that wanted the world to be open up to allow them to chase other markets. I cant recall the farmers complaining when they were receiving too much money when things were going good.
Here's the thing. They were offered a $5.60/kg milk solids for 12 months LAST YEAR. The farmers subsequently (throughout last year/this year) adjusted their herd sizes and other cost factors (water licences, feed, veterinary and environmental costs, etc) only to be told recently that the price was being cut to $5.00/kg RETROSPECTIVELY.

Comparison to your job:
Last year you were offered say a $3000/week job for 12 months, the job is guaranteed to be ongoing but the $/week is up for review in 12 months' time. You subsequently upgraded your car, bought a new house and undertook renovations, ate out more, and upgraded your health insurance plan because you can budget that based on your expected income for the year. That, and next year looks to be rosy as well.

In the 10th month your employer tells you "oh, our bad, it was meant to be $2500/week since the beginning of the contract. Since the cuts are retrospective that means the first 10 months of being overpaid need to be squeezed in to the final 2 months, resulting in you actually having to pay US $1312.50 per week for the final 2 months and still perform at your job."

Hory shet. You now can't make your mortgage payments, your car loan payments, you're living on baked beans, you've gotten rid of your health insurance hoping you don't get sick...

The difference with that comparison is the dairy farmers were already doing it tough before this was dumped on them.

Quote:
Again, the Price of milk (or the price of solids - which i think milk prices are based on), has fallen due to production out stripping demand. Is it not just the world saying, cut down on your production, and prices will stabalise. Is farming somehow different to any other business?
China's been stockpiling milk products and are now eating into their stockpile. Russia has sanctions against Western dairy. The EU has deregulated and there's now an epic glut in the EU. Water licences are being bought up by superannuation/investment companies so the allocations farmers get a hold of are at sky-high prices (supply and demand). All of this is impacting on Aussie farmers.

Quote:
Last time i checked, Neither Coles or Woolworths had special machines that allowed them to make Milk. They are getting their Milk from Dairy Farmers. Its not Coles or Woolworths or even Customers that are damaging Dairy Farmers, is it not themselves.
Coles and Woolworths with their contractual buying power and their "milk war" starting in 2010 have most definitely damaged the livelihoods of dairy farmers!!!

Our politicians from the major camps are saying/doing bugger-all on this and it's driving farmers to suicide.

Here's a change.org petition aimed at our current Agriculture minister (also leader of the Nats and our Deputy PM) - link here - please sign it to get the attention of the government!!!

^^^ This is an apolotical stance, something needs to be done by WHOEVER is in charge.

What can we do to help in the meantime? Buy branded dairy products and avoid the no-name Coles/Woolies etc products!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And adding to this, blue green algae is everywhere in the irrigation channels in northern Victoria. Travelled up there for a job yesterday to a farmers property and he's giving his cattle tank water as the green water would kill them.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

some insights -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOv...&feature=share

and this

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agr...story-comments

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown

Last edited by hawkgirl; 19-05-2016 at 07:21 PM.
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #14
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
Here's the thing. They were offered a $5.60/kg milk solids for 12 months LAST YEAR. The farmers subsequently (throughout last year/this year) adjusted their herd sizes and other cost factors (water licences, feed, veterinary and environmental costs, etc) only to be told recently that the price was being cut to $5.00/kg RETROSPECTIVELY.

Comparison to your job:
Last year you were offered say a $3000/week job for 12 months, the job is guaranteed to be ongoing but the $/week is up for review in 12 months' time. You subsequently upgraded your car, bought a new house and undertook renovations, ate out more, and upgraded your health insurance plan because you can budget that based on your expected income for the year. That, and next year looks to be rosy as well.

In the 10th month your employer tells you "oh, our bad, it was meant to be $2500/week since the beginning of the contract. Since the cuts are retrospective that means the first 10 months of being overpaid need to be squeezed in to the final 2 months, resulting in you actually having to pay US $1312.50 per week for the final 2 months and still perform at your job."

Hory shet. You now can't make your mortgage payments, your car loan payments, you're living on baked beans, you've gotten rid of your health insurance hoping you don't get sick...

The difference with that comparison is the dairy farmers were already doing it tough before this was dumped on them.
Great post Ghia5L, the bit I've quoted is for me the big issue. As a result of what has been described above these farmers have suddenly got a debt of something in the neighbourhood of $100-120K in addition to any they may already have. Pow!! Just like that. All because SOMEBODY ELSE screwed up.

Fluctuating income for whatever reason is a fact of life for them and they roll with it as anyone in business would understand but through no fault of theirs they have been saddled with this. But their land is worth heaps people may say. That's all very well but that land is their business capital which requires a big investment in plant and equipment.

In the scenario as described by Ghia5L try going onto a construction site and laying that on your workers, you'd end up with a crowbar through your skull in no time flat!!

This will send farmers broke and off the land, it has already sadly driven some to take their own life. The Chinese will come in, buy up these abandoned farms on the cheap and when that happens every drop of product coming from that land will be going straight to China and we will NEVER EVER get that land back.

Our chicken hearted pollies have no clue, or willingness to get a clue and act. The opposition? Not so much as a fart or quack from them either!!

"So just move on and do something else" people may say but that is way to simplistic, farming is a way of life. I grew up on a dairy farm so I understand it and the fact my parents lived on the bones of their butts and worked like slaves to provide for my family.

This is a very serious situation and has ramifications for other sectors of primary industry. With manufacturing pretty much flatlined we are fast heading towards a situation where we as a country will not be able to feed and clothe ourselves, we will be entirely dependent on foreign interests.

Sorry about the long post!!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #15
wackyv8
wackyv8

bork me but, im putting it up the top again . i grow beef , but, the current plight of our dairy industry is dire and significant . aussies need to support their local , or it will be ford all over again , but with food .
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #16
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I remember hearing an interview on ABC radio a few years ago with a Dairy farmer from near Murray Bridge (SA)

Seems he put his dairy farm on the market which came with a Coles contract.
He was approached by a rep from Coles with a price that was way under what he wanted.

When he refused he was told that if he didn't take them up on the offer the contract might not be there for the next owner.
Now exactly extortion but awfully close, as he said that without the contract it would be much harder to sell the property.
I think that's part of the end game here - after retrospectively reducing the price to be paid to farmers for produce over the last X months, they are offering "early dividend" and "bridging loans".

Effectively admitting they know the input costs of the farmer are higher then what they're now prepared to pay. Guess what happens to those that can't repay their bridging loans...

FWIW I stopped buying $1/1l milk 2 weeks ago. Buying the otway farmers milk now $3.60 for 2 litres where I can.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I buy my milk from Coles at $1/litre, because it's convenient for me to shop there.

I wouldn't mind paying what was initially proposed as a 20c levy per litre (maybe 50c now) to help the farmers. Without those people we'd be ****ed. I do not want to buy imported milk because our dairy farmers have gone bust - that's nuts!

I heard this briefly on the radio yesterday about Coles and haven't given it any research. How do I know that Coles' levy will go directly back to the dairy farmers at the farmgate?

Yes, Coles doesn't buy directly from the dairy, they buy through a co-op and the coin changes through many hands before it lands in our fridge. There's storage, packaging, refrigeration, distribution and retailing to consider.

Pretty cheap at $1/per litre all things considered?

Cheers!

Yes, but the poor farmer gets screwed to the wall on milk prices, they have done for decades because it's a staple like bread. Funny that most consumers will whinge about the cost of a litre of milk but will happily drop $4.50 or $5 bucks on a 600ml iced coffee two or three times a day.
Old 19-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #18
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Yes, but the poor farmer gets screwed to the wall on milk prices, they have done for decades because it's a staple like bread. Funny that most consumers will whinge about the cost of a litre of milk but will happily drop $4.50 or $5 bucks on a 600ml iced coffee two or three times a day.

Or worse. Bloody water that comes from a tap
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have family in NZ on dairy farm . I grew up on dairy farm, getting up 5.30 every morning from 12 years . In time to catch school bus . Trust me NZ is doing it hard there too . I get my milk and some vege bought off Aus Dairy farmers direct ., can't get more Aussie than these guys .,
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 01:30 AM   #20
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyv8 View Post
bork me but, im putting it up the top again . i grow beef , but, the current plight of our dairy industry is dire and significant . aussies need to support their local , or it will be ford all over again , but with food .
I was actually going to make that point earlier - dairy farmers are in the limelight at the moment, but dairy is not the only farming game in town, nor is it the only one being damaged by the Coles/Woolworths duopoly.

As per the earlier point I made - it's not just milk, you need to buy the alternative brands for everything that you can.
1969 Kombi
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2016, 01:56 AM   #21
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
Great post Ghia5L, the bit I've quoted is for me the big issue. As a result of what has been described above these farmers have suddenly got a debt of something in the neighbourhood of $100-120K in addition to any they may already have. Pow!! Just like that. All because SOMEBODY ELSE screwed up.

Fluctuating income for whatever reason is a fact of life for them and they roll with it as anyone in business would understand but through no fault of theirs they have been saddled with this. But their land is worth heaps people may say. That's all very well but that land is their business capital which requires a big investment in plant and equipment.
!
And this is where the Bull$4it part of all this needs to be corrected. As per Murray Goulburns own website-

http://www.mgc.com.au/our-story/our-heritage/

Quote:
Today, Devondale Murray Goulburn processes one-third of the nation’s milk supply and is controlled by over 2500 dairy farmer-shareholders. The highs and lows of its 60-year history give Devondale Murray Goulburn a wealth of experience and knowledge of the nation’s dairy industry which sets it apart.
The Dairy Farmers who control the co op, are ****ed off that they are screwing themselves over.

Oh,and just so we all know where the likes of Woolies and Coles are able to get their milk from

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...72dfea7f3a9fc5

Quote:
Coles struck a new long-term supply deal last year with Murray Goulburn that will see the co-operative supply Coles with about 200 million litres of private-label fresh milk annually.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #22
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
The problem with buying $1/litre milk is that you're enabling the Coles/Woolworths juggernaut, which will continue to steamroller ALL suppliers - not just talking milk here - and force those that don't play ball out altogether.

Anyone noticed how many Coles/Woolworths brands are on the shelves lately? Have you also noticed that the branded products are gradually disappearing?

Everyone thinks the low prices are terrific, but how will things look when the only brands left on the shelf are the 'premium' brands, and the staples are all Coles/Woolworths? They'll then push the prices up - because what are you going to do? There will be no alternatives. Pay more for their arguably inferior product, or pay more again for the premium stuff that they make a larger margin on?

Eventually they'll push the 'premium' brand stuff out too, and bring in their own premium lines - except in high income localities where people are happy to pay for the good stuff (they already stock their supermarkets differently between low income and high income areas).

This is hardly rocket science... there's no free lunch. Support the branded product manufacturers, or kiss them goodbye - and then pay the higher prices for an inferior product.

100% correct. I buy a brand called Farmhouse, its old fashion milk and has cream on the top. 1.5 ltr i think is about $2.00, wouldn't buy anyrhing else.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #23
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

^^^ Thanks for the heads up on Farmhouse milk. It's marketed by Pauls.

Coles and Woolies stock it.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
^^^ Thanks for the heads up on Farmhouse milk. It's marketed by Pauls.

Coles and Woolies stock it.

Cheers!
They stock it, its not a home brand and its nice
Old 20-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #25
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

is it legal to own a cow in a domestic suburb?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2016, 06:48 PM   #26
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
is it legal to own a cow in a domestic suburb?
Dont know, but im in 2 acres you have thinking, all i need is a stool and a bucket
Old 20-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #27
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
The Dairy Farmers who control the co op, are ****ed off that they are screwing themselves over.
You make it sound like all the suppliers are to blame. My parents are dairy farmers, and have been Murray Goulburn suppliers for many years. They have a lot of shares in the company, which have now basically HALVED in value. Not only that, they're planning to retire in about a year, and will be selling the farm. These price cuts will have a big impact on the value of the farm as nobody will want to buy a dairy farm if the situation remains the same in the 12 months or so when they put it on the market. Like the vast majority of MG suppliers, they had nothing to do with this decision. The directors and board members made the call. Sure they might also own farms themselves, but they would certainly be high paid and would not be the ones who suffer the consequences. My dad is one of the hardest working men I've ever known, and it's going to be a tragedy if he doesn't get the rewards for all that hard work over all these years.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #28
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
I think that's part of the end game here - after retrospectively reducing the price to be paid to farmers for produce over the last X months, they are offering "early dividend" and "bridging loans".

Effectively admitting they know the input costs of the farmer are higher then what they're now prepared to pay. Guess what happens to those that can't repay their bridging loans...

FWIW I stopped buying $1/1l milk 2 weeks ago. Buying the otway farmers milk now $3.60 for 2 litres where I can.
I could write a book about the flight of our agriculture industry. You do understand that the dairy farmer is paid a agreed cents per kilogram of butter fat. In the main the rate is very much equal between the major suppliers. So whether you pay $1 or $3 per litre of milk currently it will make no difference to the dairy farmer.
The suppliers have no interest in the sale of milk - the money is to made in value added products - powder to Asia Pacific , finished products like cheese , yohurts , protein drinks , flavoured milk etc etc.
Even with a stable known rate paid to the farmer , its the input costs of feed , animal welfare , and most important water that causes in the main to cause our farmers to fail
With dry conditions , increasing input costs this in the main is causing our farmers to fail
As was said earlier , many farmers fail on settling that supplier loans only to have them refinanced for a further season. This practice continues (only in a effort to avoid closure) until such time that the farmer calls it a day and sells out to the corporate entity or neighbour or has no longer any equity or insufficient cash capacity to meet their financial committments.
Once upon a time it was deemed a good dairy farm would milk 200 odd cattle now it isnt worth getting up in the morning unless you are doing 400+ and have acquired water access rights
Agree , every effort should be made to save our agriculture infrastructure in Aust and we should be mindful of the overseas swell to acquire large parcels for exporting leaving either rubbish for domestic consumption or nothing
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #29
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep my kids can certainly taste the difference. $1/litre milk has had all the good stuff taken out, and then just enough put back in so they can legally call it milk.
Haha funny that, there are no home brand cows, and the taste difference is all in the imagination.

You are saying a product that is more processed costs less?? Makes no sense, it's the exact same milk with a different label

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Haha funny that, there are no home brand cows, and the taste difference is all in the imagination.

You are saying a product that is more processed costs less?? Makes no sense, it's the exact same milk with a different label
They take some solids out to make butter etc . Trust me it's watered down ., like oils .. Sole .
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post