Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Not happy about idle!

From what I gather I am not the only one experiencing this problem but the idle on my focus is sometimes far from pleasant or even normal.

I find that it surges, i can feel the car wanting to go forwards and i know that if i take my foot off the brake I will go surging forward. Ive been caught out a few times by it now, and also in reverse (auto), when i put it into reverse, i dont even touch the accelerator and i get sent shooting backwards at a fairly rapid pace.

This is being added to a list of things that require rectification on my Focus and will be going in to see my Service Manager tomorrow to find out what can be done.

Has anybody experienced this idling before, if so was anything done, and more importantly, did it make a difference?
Old 26-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
From what I gather I am not the only one experiencing this problem but the idle on my focus is sometimes far from pleasant or even normal.

I find that it surges, i can feel the car wanting to go forwards and i know that if i take my foot off the brake I will go surging forward. Ive been caught out a few times by it now, and also in reverse (auto), when i put it into reverse, i dont even touch the accelerator and i get sent shooting backwards at a fairly rapid pace.

This is being added to a list of things that require rectification on my Focus and will be going in to see my Service Manager tomorrow to find out what can be done.

Has anybody experienced this idling before, if so was anything done, and more importantly, did it make a difference?

Good to see someone who loves their focus :

Seriously thou, i beleive all the problems your experiencing with your focus comes from the Mp3 rims. Time to get yourself a set of SR rims. I'll trade ya if you like :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Man is there anything you like about your car ;)
Old 26-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
Man is there anything you like about your car ;)
Yup, plenty!

But before I start modding it I want it to be spot on in stock form for 2 reasons - makes it easier to work out if the mods are causing problems or not, and it also means Ford cant come back to me and say "Oh you modded it so its doing that and we wont fix it".

Now seriously, has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Bucky, yeah it could be the rims in which case I would put the 4 15's i have in the shed back on. I know you hate my rims sooooo much so I dont want to burden you with them ;).
Old 26-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Bucky, yeah it could be the rims in which case I would put the 4 15's i have in the shed back on. I know you hate my rims sooooo much so I dont want to burden you with them ;).
Sometimes the best way to punish a person is to make them do the things they hate :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah count me in, I have idle issues too, I just try to keep my car as far away from idle as possible so I don't have to worry about it

There are numerous fixes that were released very early on in the process, when MkI was released, first step is to get that service manager to investigate and see if the TSB's apply to your car and then have them performed. After that let us know! Sounds familiar from memory.
Old 26-06-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

yeah definately go the TSB route, there are quite a few out there in the uK that we havent seen out here.

even try getting some updated code for the engine if you havent already that may certainly help in the idle process.

chris
Old 28-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This may not be applicable to the Focus, but I'll post it anyway.

The Mondeo V6 has an Idle Air Control valve that's controlled by the ECU. It will hold the revs up high whenever the accelerator is depressed and then released (ie revs won't drop quickly to help with emissions levels or come bull****). Anyway, in my old ST24 it would actually accelerate in fifth gear when I lifted off the accelerator :yeees: - this was a manual gearbox too.

The cure was to partially block off the IAC valve pipe so the amount of air the IAC could bypass past the throttle body was limited.

Perhaps your Focus could have a similar problem?
Old 29-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sounds not far off the mark. I've definitely narrowed it down the the ICV... interesting. Very intersting...