Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2022, 05:31 PM   #91
JET64L
Jet Six Images

Default Re: 7.3 V8 crate motor

Looking for some information actually, Have an EL XR8 and am thinking of this Godzilla combo! Would be absolutely epic!!!
But not sure what box I could run and so on? Have a Stage 2 ZF from my old XR6 Turbo but may or may not use it or should I just go TH400? Any help be appreciated!
JET64L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #92
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think the Haltech Elite series can control a ZF

EDIT - needs the factory TCM to do it:

https://support.haltech.com/portal/e...-speed-support

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-06-2022 at 06:04 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 03:13 AM   #93
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET64L View Post
Looking for some information actually, Have an EL XR8 and am thinking of this Godzilla combo! Would be absolutely epic!!!
But not sure what box I could run and so on? Have a Stage 2 ZF from my old XR6 Turbo but may or may not use it or should I just go TH400? Any help be appreciated!
I reckon the sump will be your main issue they are design for oversized yanky utes and make the motor pretty tall, dry sump would be an option maybe.

Check out Phil aka FAT383 on youtube he's building a F100 with one of these in it.
Old 22-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #94
JET64L
Jet Six Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
I reckon the sump will be your main issue they are design for oversized yanky utes and make the motor pretty tall, dry sump would be an option maybe.

Check out Phil aka FAT383 on youtube he's building a F100 with one of these in it.
Yeah I found this too, still considering it.
https://youtu.be/Pda3HQXGcmU
JET64L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #95
Gumboot

VPW in Australia have just listed the Godzilla Create engine in stock for sale at $14,281.

FORD GODZILLA CRATE ENGINE

Long Block, 7.3L, 10.5:1 Compression, 430 HP, 475 lb/ft. Torque,

These crate engines feature race-quality components at competitive pricing. Utilising a forged crankshaft, they deliver excellent value and solid foundations for any performance combination, including forced induction.
$14,281.21

https://www.vpw.com.au/parts/FMSM-60...eid=24591adf68
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2022, 03:32 PM   #96
HONK
*Honker*

Long Block, 7.3L, 10.5:1 Compression, 430 HP, 475 lb/ft. Torque,

These crate engines feature race-quality components at competitive pricing. Utilising a forged crankshaft, they deliver excellent value and solid foundations for any performance combination, including forced induction.
$14,281.21

If only there was enough room in the Beetle..
HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2022, 03:58 PM   #97
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If you were going to keep it NA then it doesnt seem thaaaaaaaaaay impressive. I would be getting something else from the range if NA is what you want.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #98
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
If you were going to keep it NA then it doesnt seem thaaaaaaaaaay impressive. I would be getting something else from the range if NA is what you want.
It's so detuned for heavy truck use. But even a few basic bolt ons are seeing it going 600+, because the heads and everything flow well, and compression is good. Just needs the corks removed, cam especially as it's a low rpm torque cam.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2022, 04:49 PM   #99
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's so detuned for heavy truck use. But even a few basic bolt ons are seeing it going 600+, because the heads and everything flow well, and compression is good. Just needs the corks removed, cam especially as it's a low rpm torque cam.
If you just look at it on its own, its an OEM solution for a repower for something like an old F series or anything you can shoe horn it into, if you get the engine controls package you've basically got something in stock form that will start every morning first turn of the key, idle perfectly, nice street manners, punch out 300KW all day every day, rip skids for the rest of its life and run stuff like A/C as well as control the 10R140 10sp auto if you pair it with the control pack and 10R140 trans.

https://accessories.ford.com/product...140-auto-trans

I think its a solid platform with a decent amount of power for someone with some coin to spare on an old classic in its stock form, before you start throwing cams, turbos, superchargers et al at it.

Then if you want to go faster you've got a solid platform, its kinda like the Barra of the V8 world.

A product from an OEM is always going to out perform something the aftermarket can cook up from a longevity, reliability and manners perspective, no one on the aftermarket has the resources and skills the OEMs do.

Its good to see Ford offering a variation of something they designed for a specific purpose, but its got everything that the aftermarket wants so they've identified it and had the foresight to embrace the other side of the coin and offer it and a controls package for those who may want to utilise it for something else.

GM has been on top of this side of things for years offering all sorts of things to the aftermarket, including their transmissions, its taken Ford ages to get off their asses, they can get some extra coin in rather than leaving it to the aftermarket to fill gaps.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-08-2022 at 04:59 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #100
roKWiz
Cabover nut

If only they made a real truck to put it in.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #101
MrEL
Sick Puppy

They really are a bargain even taking into account they are detuned for normal use.
Wont get any change out of $10k building a 347 bottom end properly , then you still need the power making top end as well.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #102
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Interesting.............

Sounds like a Windsor in tone compared to the more technical sounding Coyote.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 11:30 PM   #103
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I reckon even with that intake manifold it'd still go into one of those older F series no dramas, the engine sits down so bloody deep in the engine bay you just about need to stand inside the engine bay and sit on the quarters to work on the ****er

Sounds tinny like an LS to me but that could be because of the audio equipment that recording is done with, its probably one of those things where you need to hear it in person to judge properly.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2022, 02:10 AM   #104
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If you just look at it on its own, its an OEM solution for a repower for something like an old F series or anything you can shoe horn it into, if you get the engine controls package you've basically got something in stock form that will start every morning first turn of the key, idle perfectly, nice street manners, punch out 300KW all day every day, rip skids for the rest of its life and run stuff like A/C as well as control the 10R140 10sp auto if you pair it with the control pack and 10R140 trans.

https://accessories.ford.com/product...140-auto-trans

I think its a solid platform with a decent amount of power for someone with some coin to spare on an old classic in its stock form, before you start throwing cams, turbos, superchargers et al at it.

Then if you want to go faster you've got a solid platform, its kinda like the Barra of the V8 world.

A product from an OEM is always going to out perform something the aftermarket can cook up from a longevity, reliability and manners perspective, no one on the aftermarket has the resources and skills the OEMs do.

Its good to see Ford offering a variation of something they designed for a specific purpose, but its got everything that the aftermarket wants so they've identified it and had the foresight to embrace the other side of the coin and offer it and a controls package for those who may want to utilise it for something else.

GM has been on top of this side of things for years offering all sorts of things to the aftermarket, including their transmissions, its taken Ford ages to get off their asses, they can get some extra coin in rather than leaving it to the aftermarket to fill gaps.
Yep.....only 20 or 30 years late to the party Ford

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #105
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I reckon even with that intake manifold it'd still go into one of those older F series no dramas, the engine sits down so bloody deep in the engine bay you just about need to stand inside the engine bay and sit on the quarters to work on the ****er

Sounds tinny like an LS to me but that could be because of the audio equipment that recording is done with, its probably one of those things where you need to hear it in person to judge properly.
Prototype manifold at 6 min 40 sec shorter runners and lower throttle body,
perfect for getting the 7.3 into Mustang and plenty of early Ford engine bays.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #106
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Both are pushrod so makes sense it sounds like a LS

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2022, 12:59 PM   #107
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Next Super Duty will have the option of a 6.8 to replace the current 6.2, which is a different motor.

Not much news on it yet, but it looks to be a smaller bore 7.3.

Still hoping this engine will make it into the Mustang like the early reports said it would, but I doubt it now. To me it's just a way to retire the orphan 6.2, and build both the 6.8 and 7.3 on the same production line. Much more cost effective than having 2 different engine platforms built on different production lines.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:16 PM   #108
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Next Super Duty will have the option of a 6.8 to replace the current 6.2, which is a different motor.

Still hoping this engine will make it into the Mustang like the early reports said it would, but I doubt it now. To me it's just a way to retire the orphan 6.2, and build both the 6.8 and 7.3 on the same production line. Much more cost effective than having 2 different engine platforms built on different production lines.
I'm the opposite, I would prefer if Ford kept the 5.0 in the Mustang.

Running that Coyote out to redline is just so addictive!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #109
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Both are pushrod so makes sense it sounds like a LS

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
So are Holden 304 and Ford small block but they sound way better than LS
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2022, 08:27 PM   #110
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Interesting.............

Sounds like a Windsor in tone compared to the more technical sounding Coyote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubqAaqNczhI

Dynoing the Ford Performance prototype intake.

Looks the goods.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2022, 01:56 AM   #111
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I believe it will have a reduced stroke but retain the same bore.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #112
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sort of like having a 351 that could be stroked to 429.......back to the future

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 13-09-2022, 01:44 PM   #113
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Sort of like having a 351 that could be stroked to 429.......back to the future
I'd be interested to know how far it could be bored and stroked. I'm pretty sure that info was possibly talked about early on, but it escapes me now.

Edit- 30 thou over and a small increase in stroke will max capacity out to about 500 ci.
Old 13-09-2022, 04:12 PM   #114
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd be interested to know how far it could be bored and stroked. I'm pretty sure that info was possibly talked about early on, but it escapes me now.

Edit- 30 thou over and a small increase in stroke will max capacity out to about 500 ci.
Which will give it huge flexibility in capacity by just altering the stroke ......the cost savings are huge .....you can only imagine what this mill would have done for hot rudders and racers if it was introduced alongside the modular motors it would have been the hero motor Ford fans had always wanted

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2022, 12:39 PM   #115
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

The 6.2 boss is built at Romeo engine plant in Michigan which is supposed to be closing soon, so making a short stroke version of the 7.3 to replace it makes a lot of sense. The extra capacity will help with low down torque in towing situations which is where the 6.2 comes in for criticism. That ease of performance when towing is valued by heavy duty truck buyers

If they do a good job of the 6.8 and it delivers good HP/Tq then it should see more sales than the 6.2 which has a knock on effect with 7.3 being a higher cost option instead of the poor cousin default below the diesel.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #116
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Baseline power run with a stock crate engine (dyno headers though) cranked out 90 hp more than claimed at 520hp.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...veaway-engine/

Then they have the brand new megazilla, which has a bottom end built for boost, ported heads and the choice of 2 different cams. Rated at 615hp.

The more I see of this engine the more impressed I am. 615hp NA is impressive, and it would probably behave like a stock production engine. Would make a brilliant engine swap for a Falcon, especially with a 10R80 behind it. Only downside is cost.

No wonder Herrod sell every one they can get.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/features/...gine-on-crowd/
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2022, 09:54 PM   #117
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow what a beast.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #118
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory has a nice deep engine bay...
Old 13-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #119
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Territory has a nice deep engine bay...
The new manifold they have developed that has the throttle body parallel, and not pointing up like the production version, has removed one problem of getting it to fit in lower profile cars.

It's really hard to get an accurate measurement of height though, cause I was trying to compare it to a 5.0 Windsor. It's listed as 635mm high, but I don't know if that includes intake and oil pan. Where I can get a top to bottom measurement of about 680mm high for a 5.0 W.

Something must be off here as it can't be shorter than a Windsor. That measurement must be missing either the intake or oil pan. But it's only 5 cm wider than a 351 W, and 3cm longer. So it's comparable to a 351.

I really want to see one of these in an E series. If it fits easily in a Fox body Mustang, then it will fit in an E series. Might just need a bonnet bulge.
Old 13-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #120
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The new manifold they have developed that has the throttle body parallel, and not pointing up like the production version, has removed one problem of getting it to fit in lower profile cars.

It's really hard to get an accurate measurement of height though, cause I was trying to compare it to a 5.0 Windsor. It's listed as 635mm high, but I don't know if that includes intake and oil pan. Where I can get a top to bottom measurement of about 680mm high for a 5.0 W.

Something must be off here as it can't be shorter than a Windsor. That measurement must be missing either the intake or oil pan. But it's only 5 cm wider than a 351 W, and 3cm longer. So it's comparable to a 351.

I really want to see one of these in an E series. If it fits easily in a Fox body Mustang, then it will fit in an E series. Might just need a bonnet bulge.
Yep something must be off , from what I can find out it's 107.2 bore and 101mm stroke ,deck heights supposed to be 9.65 compared to the 9.48 to 9.5 of the 351 so being longer bore you would think ite block would be taller? .....the 3cm longer you would think would be the extra bore size ? .....spose if the 351 is supposed to be 1.28 inches taller than a 302 you would think this would have to be 1.5 inches taller?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual