Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #241
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: So is it the end of the Holden??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
It gets up my nose a bit too... that Holden fans walk around peacocking and wrapping on Ford, when their beloved Holden is pumping out tonnes of cars, selling a fair amount (over 40k units) and are on the verge of shutting up shop.
In fairness, I don't think Holden were ever going to shut up shop, that rumor was a distortion of the SA Permier
pretending to be a white knight championing Holden's cause and sending the wrong message to eager reporters.

Ford and Holden supporters need to be wary of vvankers in politics and journalism skewing reports to suit their own ends.
Both car makers are currently being portrayed in a bad light by all and sundry, no one mentions the $8 billion revenue generated..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #242
burnz
VFII SS UTE

jpd80 ppv 2010...11 units
2011...455 units

tidbit:
USA 11.6 million sale's from 32 brand's..
AUS 1.035 million sale's from 62 brand's..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #243
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
jpd80 ppv 2010...11 units
2011...455 units

tidbit:
USA 11.6 million sale's from 32 brand's..
AUS 1.035 million sale's from 62 brand's..

OK, thanks for the info, Australia has a smorgasbord of brands for buyers to choose from,
so Ford and Holden will have to improve their game to keep pace with the competition.

I hope both bounce back this year and take a few sales back off the imports I have my
Fingers crossed for Cruze as Holden have spent a bunch bringing it here, they deserve A for effort.
Old 15-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #244
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
In fairness, I don't think Holden were ever going to shut up shop, that rumor was a distortion of the SA Permier
pretending to be a white knight championing Holden's cause and sending the wrong message to eager reporters.

Ford and Holden supporters need to be wary of vvankers in politics and journalism skewing reports to suit their own ends.
Both car makers are currently being portrayed in a bad light by all and sundry, no one mentions the $8 billion revenue generated..
True to that I suppose. Our sensationalist tabloid gutter press is bad enough.... don't need Politicians on an ego stroke to bend truths to take credit.
Old 15-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #245
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What we also need to recognise is that those profits and losses are backed by $3.3 billion and $4.4 billion
in revenue generated by Ford and Holden respectively, so depending on internal debt levels and funds that
are associated with on going product development and delivery, those profits can be artificially small.

A lot of that money also flows out of Australia and back to other Ford and GM regions and their supplier base.
So the true cost value of Australia to these companies is masked behind behind inter company sales and transfers.
Old 16-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #246
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
What we also need to recognise is that those profits and losses are backed by $3.3 billion and $4.4 billion
in revenue generated by Ford and Holden respectively, so depending on internal debt levels and funds that
are associated with on going product development and delivery, those profits can be artificially small.

A lot of that money also flows out of Australia and back to other Ford and GM regions and their supplier base.
So the true cost value of Australia to these companies is masked behind behind inter company sales and transfers.
so someone tell me why holden doesnt have twice the revenue if they sell twice as much????
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 03:29 AM   #247
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
2000 – $16 million loss
2001 – $5.5 million loss
2002 – $20 million profit
2003 – $154 million profit
2004 – $192 million profit
2005 – $148 million profit
2006 – $40.3 million loss
2007 – $87.2 million loss
2008 – $274.4 million loss
2009 - $13 million profit
2010 - $25 million profit
so these figures...do they include any gov monies and such,tax and or the ammount they spend to build a platform or model?? Id be interested in figures that are pure and not inflated for chest pumping if you get my meaning. And i would expect holden should have at least twice the pure profits seeing as they r twice as big here.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #248
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
so these figures...do they include any gov monies and such,tax and or the ammount they spend to build a platform or model?? Id be interested in figures that are pure and not inflated for chest pumping if you get my meaning. And i would expect holden should have at least twice the pure profits seeing as they r twice as big here.
they are all "net" listing's.
Old 16-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #249
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
so someone tell me why holden doesnt have twice the revenue if they sell twice as much????

Production costs

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #250
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
So how much tax does that revenue generate?

GST and Stamp Duties on sale of cars.
Income tax for employees - manufacturing and sale.
Do they get tax credits on raw materials or is tax paid there too?
Other cost of sale - marketting, sponsorship

Tax collected from post sale running costs - fuel, oil, servicing, parts?

Should the government be advertising how much tax it collects as a result of the automative industry? Or does that open a bigger can of worms given they collect SO much more than they put back in to things like roadworks.

Lukeyson
Old 16-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #251
prydey
Rob

stamp duty is a rort. they just keep collecting every time the car is sold until it ends up in the graveyard. it could equate to 1000's per car depending on how many times it gets sold.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #252
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
So how much tax does that revenue generate?

GST and Stamp Duties on sale of cars.
Income tax for employees - manufacturing and sale.
Do they get tax credits on raw materials or is tax paid there too?
Other cost of sale - marketting, sponsorship

Tax collected from post sale running costs - fuel, oil, servicing, parts?

Should the government be advertising how much tax it collects as a result of the automative industry? Or does that open a bigger can of worms given they collect SO much more than they put back in to things like roadworks.

Lukeyson
luke, I can tell you this, the GST is collected and rebated at each level,
passed on until the bloke at the end pays the lot, you guessed it the consumer.

So all vehicles sold unless going to business will attract GST but some
would argue that imported vehicle replacing locals would do the same.

Not sure about the other taxes you mentioned, employees pay tax but I
think Ford and Holden are mostly avoiding much of it by announcing low profits.
Old 16-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #253
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden needs to build the next commy on this platform http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...llac-ats-28390
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #254
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Holden needs to build the next commy on this platform http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...llac-ats-28390
A Cruze sized RWD that weighs 1542 Kg, what prices are you hoping to get?

IMO, Ford should build Fusion/mondeo locally and make Falcon a near cousin that uses
the AWD Fusion/Mondeo from the fire wall back and Falcon/Mustang from the fire wall forward.
If Ford offered the rest of Ford a vehicle like that, I'm sure manufacturing it in north America would be a snap.
Old 16-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #255
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

IMO, Ford should build Fusion/mondeo locally and make Falcon a near cousin that uses
the AWD Fusion/Mondeo from the fire wall back and Falcon/Mustang from the fire wall forward.
If Ford offered the rest of Ford a vehicle like that, I'm sure manufacturing it in north America would be a snap.
Somebody send this to head office, give us Mondeo production and allow America to build 4 door Mustang ala Falcon?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #256
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Somebody send this to head office, give us Mondeo production and allow America to build 4 door Mustang ala Falcon?
I think this is what eventually may happen, local CD4 production (which would give us Mondeo/Fusion sedan, hatch, wagon and next gen Ford Edge and maybe S-Max) and the consolation prize would be imported RHD Mustangs and some 4 door car based on it from the US.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #257
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67

2000: $135 million net profit
2001: $285 million net profit
2002: $257 million net profit
2003: $287 million net profit
2004: $216 million net profit
2005: $145 million net loss
2006: $147 million net loss
2007: $6 million net loss
2008: $70 million net loss
2009: $211 million net loss
2010: $112 million net profit

cool, they are different to the figures i have seen, but the ones i saw may have been wrong
Holden

2010 +112.0
2009 -210.6
2008 -70.2
2007 -6.0
2006 -146.6
2005 -144.6
2004 +216.4
2003 +285.6
2002 +257.4
2001 +285.0
2000 +227.4

Total + 805.9 million

Ford over the same period is +129.6 million and Toyota Australia +1,100.2 million.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #258
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
A Cruze sized RWD that weighs 1542 Kg, what prices are you hoping to get?

I could certainly see that working.

Ford global would then have an answer to the Mustang and differentiate the Taurus too. Plus provide a cost effective basis for a Lincoln.

FoA could produce locally per year
* Falcon/FPV continuing to kick on with 20,000 annual sales,
* Territory/Edge with 20,000,
* Fusion/Mondeo with another 20,000.

Broadmeadows would have diversity in product all getting good business, but importantly sharing so much under the skin. Volume could be driven by ever more attractive prices which are able to be delivered because of those economies of scale. They would all be competing in segments with reasonable transaction prices too.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #259
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Holden

2010 +112.0
2009 -210.6
2008 -70.2
2007 -6.0
2006 -146.6
2005 -144.6
2004 +216.4
2003 +285.6
2002 +257.4
2001 +285.0
2000 +227.4

Total + 805.9 million

Ford over the same period is +129.6 million and Toyota Australia +1,100.2 million.

Cheers
Russ
No wonder Holden went with the Cross 8, one tonner, monaro etc. In the space of 4 years they made a billion dollar profit, they really could do no wrong.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #260
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think Holden will unfortunately be hit with another big loss soon when they realize PPV is a massive failure!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #261
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Holden dont sell twice as much as Ford Oz. They may if you only count local made, but the revenues include everything the local outfits do. From making and selling local built cars, selling imported cars, selling OEM parts and even doing engineering work for the Head Office.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #262
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Holden

2010 +112.0
2009 -210.6
2008 -70.2
2007 -6.0
2006 -146.6
2005 -144.6
2004 +216.4
2003 +285.6
2002 +257.4
2001 +285.0
2000 +227.4

Total + 805.9 million

Cheers
Russ
do you have the toyota profits? yearly net.
2000~2010..

if i remember correctly they don't make a profit (1.1 bill), ha ha. and complain about paying tax..
Old 17-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #263
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
do you have the toyota profits? yearly net.
2000~2010..

if i remember correctly they don't make a profit (1.1 bill), ha ha. and complain about paying tax..
Toyota
2010 182.3
2009 173.7
2008 123.4
2007 242.2
2006 184.0
2005 54.9
2004 70.8
2003 67.0
2002 10.9
2001 -2.7
2000 -6.3

suppied by russ
Old 20-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #264
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I think Holden will unfortunately be hit with another big loss soon when they realize PPV is a massive failure!!
i'm in two minds about that..
is holden exporting the ppv? take a hit.
or is GMNA importing the ppv? holden get near full retail.

i know its the same, but it's not when internal debt adjustments..if you know what i mean.
Old 20-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #265
XRDeeze
UTRIED

thanks for coming... *toodles*

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #266
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

If the Aus government were to stop providing handouts to local manufacturers, what would happen?

Ford would become a full importer and still be called Ford.

Toyota would become a full importer and be called Toyota.

But what would happen to Holden? Would they stay Holden? They'd struggle to justify that if they had no local product. Or would the name Chevrolet or Buick become the norm - given the GM branding stance in the rest of FAPA?

Lukeyson
Old 20-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #267
FAS33
Nissan gt r33

Now we can start bagging our mates about their beloved no more holden

If Holden made Millions in revenue what do they do with that money?? now they got all the yanks choices of cars/tanks.

FAS33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #268
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
If the Aus government were to stop providing handouts to local manufacturers, what would happen?

But what would happen to Holden? Would they stay Holden? They'd struggle to justify that if they had no local product. Or would the name Chevrolet or Buick become the norm - given the GM branding stance in the rest of FAPA?

Lukeyson

Or would the govenment help them by saying/suggesting all govenment cars have to be bought from them.
They'd still end up topping the sales charts and i can just see the advert's now craping on about 'Only Australian MADE car, Built by Australian's for Australia.....'
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #269
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
You'd want the yanks building our Falcon's? No thanks.

Do Yanks still leave empty coke cans behind door cards?
Old 21-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #270
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

Lukeyson
in most country's the department of defence, will need two fully capable automotive engineering company's for in times of war..
one company will be allowed to fold the others will be funded under national securitys.