Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #241
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mazda 3 Top Selling Car 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
There was a significant amount of changes between EA and ED, a lot of them most people wouldn't even realise.

Although quite similar visually under the skin it's a whole 'nother ball game.
Oh, and nothing's changed in VE's 5 1/2 years either, right? I suppose a whole new direct injection engine and 6-speed auto counts for nothing?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #242
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davez621
Oh, and nothing's changed in VE's 5 1/2 years either, right? I suppose a whole new direct injection engine and 6-speed auto counts for nothing?
Mate this all started because you said the longest running model was the VT wagon. It wasn't a VT in 2007 ok. It was a VZ. The VE is the longest running Commodore model. End of story.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #243
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so what engines do mazda offer in their range of vehicles? what engines to mitsibishi or toyota offer??
While I like to keep up to speed with automotive stuff, obviously I can't detail the particulars of cars I'm not interested in buying. When I do, I read all I can. How about you ask a good portion of women if they'll tell you even 1 or 2 details about what's underneath the shell of their car? I'm not being sexist, and I don't actually care... it's just the nature of most women. They generally couldn't care less. I have no problem with that either, it was purely a marketing point I was making. Ford has had class winning cars across the board for years, and they're outsold by inferior cars from not just a performance perspective, but a critical perspective overall. Whether this is due to branding, interiors, perceptions, stereotypes or cup holders, who knows?? You tell me.

Quote:
why is it so important to you that ford advertise/market specific engine details?
I never said it was champ. I said performance, which includes a whole range of things such as handling, braking, suspension, transmission.. etc, etc. Women traditionally put these things below a range of other needs / wants. Maybe sensitive new age guys are the same??
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #244
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Soon the Ute and Caprice will be neck and neck.. I assume there was a factory shutdown??
Only two weeks production in December, most commercial sales were low too, that's industry wide.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #245
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54
While I like to keep up to speed with automotive stuff, obviously I can't detail the particulars of cars I'm not interested in buying. When I do, I read all I can. How about you ask a good portion of women if they'll tell you even 1 or 2 details about what's underneath the shell of their car? I'm not being sexist, and I don't actually care... it's just the nature of most women. They generally couldn't care less. I have no problem with that either, it was purely a marketing point I was making. Ford has had class winning cars across the board for years, and they're outsold by inferior cars from not just a performance perspective, but a critical perspective overall. Whether this is due to branding, interiors, perceptions, stereotypes or cup holders, who knows?? You tell me.

I never said it was champ. I said performance, which includes a whole range of things such as handling, braking, suspension, transmission.. etc, etc. Women traditionally put these things below a range of other needs / wants. Maybe sensitive new age guys are the same??
While I don't really care, I thought I should point out to you that the definition of sexist is stereotyping people based on their sex, which is exactly what you did right after you said you're not sexist, lol. Kinda funny, really.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #246
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
wouldn't this be better in the december sales thread? i thought falcon ute sales were included in falcon sales and the ute sales are actually ranger sales.
Russell posted his data in this thread, if El Supremo can do it, who am I not to follow suit....;)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #247
MelsGolf
Banned

Stereotype much??? Wow..
MelsGolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #248
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelsGolf
Stereotype much??? Wow..
Don't worry too much. I'm sure he's good at mowing the lawn, .
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #249
MelsGolf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Don't worry too much. I'm sure he's good at mowing the lawn, .
Maybe alot of Women are guilty of ensuring the car that's purchased meets all their needs and is actually functional which can include moving kids and shopping to and from places rather than just going 0-100 in 4 seconds. But by all means pigeon hole all women into your sexist stereotype!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #250
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since women these days have higher disposable incomes and make up a healthy portion of new car buyers,
it is vital that their needs are met by manufacturers otherwise they will switch to someone who does.

Toyota and Mazda are examples of dealerships who tap into women buyer needs and are reaping the benefits for it
Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #251
martyk54

Quote:
Maybe alot of Women are guilty of ensuring the car that's purchased meets all their needs and is actually functional which can include moving kids and shopping to and from places rather than just going 0-100 in 4 seconds. But by all means pigeon hole all women into your sexist stereotype!
Exactly my point! People are asking why Fords, which are class leaders critically, don't sell. You've pointed out a good female perspective...

+

How about you 'new age women' loosen up just a little? I was purely addressing a correlation between the sexes and automotive marketing. You'd think in this day and age a female could address the topic rather than continually pulling out the sexism card and deflecting the thread... nope. Is society that hard for women? The % amount in therapy suggests so I guess.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #252
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly my point! People are asking why Fords, which are class leaders critically, don't sell. You've pointed out a good female perspective...

+

How about you 'new age women' loosen up just a little? I was purely addressing a correlation between the sexes and automotive marketing. You'd think in this day and age a female could address the topic rather than continually pulling out the sexism card and deflecting the thread... nope. Is society that hard for women? The % amount in therapy suggests so I guess.
Mate, I've been with my missus for 7 years now. I know all her traits, annoying habits, good habits, things she likes, she she doesn't like, but never, ever, have I ever understood her. Sometimes she says things and you just think, "Wtf was that?" But, at the end of the day you just agree, smile and nod, and go about your day, .

Male and female buyers have different needs and wants in a car. My personal view on it would be that female drivers would be more interested in a Mazda 3 (for example) than a Ford Falcon. I think the differing needs between the sexes is something important that needs to be looked at by all manufacturers, and as was said a couple posts above me, certain manufacturers like Mazda have got it right with the 3, and to a lesser extent Mitsubishi with the Lancer etc.

The Focus and Fiesta do well in their respective classes where I would suggest a large amount of buyers are female.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #253
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Mate, I've been with my missus for 7 years now. I know all her traits, annoying habits, good habits, things she likes, she she doesn't like, but never, ever, have I ever understood her. Sometimes she says things and you just think, "Wtf was that?" But, at the end of the day you just agree, smile and nod, and go about your day, .

Male and female buyers have different needs and wants in a car. My personal view on it would be that female drivers would be more interested in a Mazda 3 (for example) than a Ford Falcon. I think the differing needs between the sexes is something important that needs to be looked at by all manufacturers, and as was said a couple posts above me, certain manufacturers like Mazda have got it right with the 3, and to a lesser extent Mitsubishi with the Lancer etc.

The Focus and Fiesta do well in their respective classes where I would suggest a large amount of buyers are female.
Ford has a golden opportunity to win new buyers with Focus, the 419,990 drive away ad strikes
accord with a lot of potential buyers and I'm hoping that Fiesta and Focus can build on that trend,
especially with women buyers, they are friendly cars and probably well attuned to what today's buyers want.

It's now up to Ford and dealerships to ensure good supply and a positive buyer experience respectively.
Buying a new car should be enjoying, not a continuous paper offensive that leaves you scared of being screwed...
Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #254
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ford has a golden opportunity to win new buyers with Focus, the 419,990 drive away ad strikes
accord with a lot of potential buyers and I'm hoping that Fiesta and Focus can build on that trend,
especially with women buyers, they are friendly cars and probably well attuned to what today's buyers want.

It's now up to Ford and dealerships to ensure good supply and a positive buyer experience respectively.
Buying a new car should be enjoying, not a continuous paper offensive that leaves you scared of being screwed...
Agree completely again.

I noticed on the TV last night, Hyundai are doing i30 driveaway for $18,990, obviously to get rid of excess stock of the current model to make way for the new model coming Q2 of this year. Lancer is doing $20,990 drive away and Cruze is $21,990, so there's some stiff competition for Focus in that segment.

Your last point reminded me of my differing experiences between the Mitsubishi dealership and the Lexus dealership we visited when purchasing our last car. The difference was night and day.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #255
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To a huge chunk of females, a car is an appliance. To a huge chunk of males, a car is a source of enjoyment.

How much money do women waste on expensive shoes and handbags when there are far more cheaper/practical shoes/bags available?

Women wear their status symbols, men drive theirs. I dont see what's so offensive about drawing such a conclusion.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #256
MelsGolf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
To a huge chunk of females, a car is an appliance. To a huge chunk of males, a car is a source of enjoyment.

How much money do women waste on expensive shoes and handbags when there are far more cheaper/practical shoes/bags available?

Women wear their status symbols, men drive theirs. I dont see what's so offensive about drawing such a conclusion.
Really? we spent months researching a new washing machine and dish washer, it was more than just a white goods purchase.

A huge chunk of Men equally spend money on expensive personal grooming and appearance too, aftershaves, nice clothes and shoes.

Men equally wear status clothing.

I think you need to look at the demographic segment of buyer each car is aimed at, not weather they're male or female...

The vast majority of men (and women) would have no interest in FPV or HSV vehicles (or any performance vehicle for that matter) id say, yet some think that is all men are interested in.

The bottom line is if you assume women are stupid or dismiss them as irrelevant or not important in your advertising you will miss 50% of your market.

Last edited by MelsGolf; 07-01-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #257
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really? we spent months researching a new washing machine and dish washer, it was more than just a white goods purchase.
so you're indecisive... a common female trait :P

Quote:
Men equally wear status clothing.
equally? maybe the ones that ponce about on scooters and are gay... most guys are far less fashion obsessed once they're out of their 20s, married, etc.

Quote:
I think you need to look at the demographic segment of buyer each car is aimed at, not weather they're male or female...
when certain demographics are massively over-represented by a particular gender, its perfectly reasonable to consider the priorities of said gender (and they will be vastly different in some segments). men and women think and prioritise differently.

when I was shopping for a hatch, I considered the GTI and the Megane RS. my wife ruled out the Megane because of that vertical rear window, didnt even consider the chassis, engine, etc. we got the GTI. second time around, the Megane RS is now a very attractive machine, and guess what's in our driveway (despite being very similar mechanically)?

similarly, my wife loves the new LR Evoque (a car that was styled specifically with females in mind) even though its essentially a Freelander underneath. when it comes time to replace our Freelander, chances are, the Evoque will get some serious consideration.

I think its silly to assume carmakers dont consider the way in which different genders think and purchase when designing cars and marketing their cars.

Quote:
The bottom line is if you assume women are stupid or dismiss them as irrelevant
I dont know how you infer that from anything I've written. My point is, men and women tend to look for different things in cars.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #258
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What the hell is this rubbish?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #259
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
What the hell is this rubbish?
well, it is a thread about a mazda3
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #260
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
well, it is a thread about a mazda3
you've never driven a mazda3 mps
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #261
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I said performance, which includes a whole range of things such as handling, braking, suspension, transmission.. etc, etc.
just because you are on an enthusiast website, don't be fooled into thinking 98% of new car buyers give a rats about that stuff.

too many times on here the argument over which car is superior goes straight to the straight line performance times etc. have a look at the top 10 sales models every month and you'll soon understand that performance, handling, braking is ample in most cars on the market.

Last edited by prydey; 07-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #262
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What if Ford had kept LR..Evoque could have been a REAL luxury badged SUV for Ford..above Tezza.....
Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #263
MelsGolf
Banned

Quote:
just because you are on an enthusiast website, don't be fooled into thinking 98% of new car buyers give a rats about that stuff.

too many times on here the argument over which car is superior goes straight to the straight line performance times etc. have a look at the top 10 sales models every month and you'll soon understand that performance, handling, braking is ample in most cars on the market.
you are spot on!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #264
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
you are spot on!
agree as well - every car on the road, can get you to the speed limit and beyond. it can also go around corners better than our so called performance/muscle cars we love so much

if straight line and cornering performance was the be all/end all of motoring, none of us would be here. we would be looking at some exotic euro forums

as ridiculous as this may sound, the thing i like most on our rav4 cruiser l is the gear stick. when in 1st, 3rd or 5th the angle is just perfect. when in 2nd, 4th and reverse it is still great. it is in the right spot and fits the hand perfectly. little things make all of the difference in cars, and the amount of different items in cars that can make the difference means outright performance is not that high on many peoples list of criteria
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #265
martyk54

Quote:
Please tell me when I even hinted at such a statistic?

Quote:
I've never once mentioned straight line performance as a reason to buy a car, if people want an unpleasant driving experience at the cost of a badge or the like... fine. My point was drawn from critical acclaim vs sales and the marketing influence.

Again, you've tried twice to put words into my posts, which never existed. Quit the argumentative blabber.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #266
martyk54

Quote:
The bottom line is if you assume women are stupid or dismiss them as irrelevant or not important in your advertising you will miss 50% of your market.

Again with the Germain Greer sexism fare. Understand that the only person making an issue out of it is you. No one has suggested what you've claimed here.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #267
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: December 2011 Sales

this blokes going toooo....

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226238796616
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #268
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Our Annual Review of the Australian new car sales market has now been uploaded into the Tech portal.

Yet to come are both the truck sales review and the detailed segment analysis.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #269
prydey
Rob

martyk54 - you're being a bit defensive champ. these are discussions, not personal attacks.

i was merely pointing out that performance, handling, braking etc are not as high on the list as you might think. maybe re read my post. whilst i did mention straight line performance, i also referenced these features and commented that nearly all cars on the market have ample of all of them.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #270
prydey
Rob

Default Re: December 2011 Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
he's just taking over from where the other clown left off, flying all round the globe. any excuse will do.