Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #241
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
May I pick your brain again please?
Do you mind if I add my two bob's worth in reply? And I am certainly no expert but do have a background in avionics engineering....

Quote:
Ok, autopilot is in control of the plain. Is it just like cruise control where the plane flies in a straight line or can it be programmed to do a bunch of turns this way and that?
Depends on the autopilot system, but most modern planes (and I would assume this would include the B777) would be able to have 'waypoints' programmed into the autopilot system.

Quote:
My question is in regards to the gaining of altitude to 45k. If the plane was set to fly 'straight' as it goes further forward it will be gaining altitude as the curvature of the Earth comes into play.

Could this be a possibility? Or is a gradual decline of a few seconds factored into the forward movement of the plane so that it flies parallel to the surface automatically???
nstg8a was right, gravity takes care of the altitude issue. Just the same as your car does not increase altitude along a straight stretch of road due to the earth's curvature.

Also a pilot is still able to change heading and pitch (attitude) even with the autopliot engaged by use of the 'bug' on the Attitude Heading Reference System (AHRS) which would be built into the B777's Electronic Flight Instrumentation System (EFIS).

Hope that helps.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #242
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by womat View Post
I would love to see the final cost of this search it is going to be a massive figure and I wonder who will pay for this in the end

I am sure one of the people paying will be the australian tax payer
I dont think we employ people just when a search is necessary. The engaged staff are already employed and earning a wage irrespective of what they are doing that day, flying the borders, in training or searching for a missing aircraft.
All comes out of an already alloted budget already being paid for by the taxpayer. Best they be flying and searching than sitting in an office twiddling their thumbs.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #243
vxssm6
Silhouette TS AWD

Not sure if it has been mentioned above but I am hoping they find something like previous flight routes on the flight simulator that was confiscated from the pilots house that can lead them in the right direction.
vxssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #244
ray38l

No matter the cost it has to be investigated fully.
If this is terrorists and it was to happen again it could kill the aviation industry. Imagine what would happen if a couple more planes vanished like this. Every Airline would have to cancel all flights until they work out what is going on.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #245
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
May I pick your brain again please?

Ok, autopilot is in control of the plain. Is it just like cruise control where the plane flies in a straight line or can it be programmed to do a bunch of turns this way and that?
A modern Autopiloting system can also actually land the aircraft.
Known as a CAT IIIb landing and is available on many runways , especially at airports subject to adverse phenomena such as fog. a data relationship between the aircraft and runway is established upon approach and guides the aircraft down unaided under certain conditions of pilot visability and aircraft size...
A cat111c which I dont believe is in operation anywhere, will actually guide the aircraft to its standgate without pilot input

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #246
cram_it_frog
wombat

Yes i am sure many of the staff are doing other work but expensesand cost will be much greater

example now I am know expert but all the search aircraft will be flying extra hours and that brings into service costs and many parts of air craft have to be replaced when they reach x amount of hour s

and I would not like the fuel bill I bet there will be a blow out in that budget

The one thing which will be a great advantage is the experience the search staff gain and extra knowledge will be a huge possitive

Just sitting down and working out where to go next will be for some a entirly new experience and only done in training

we do have to look at the positive side of things cannot just look at the negitive
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #247
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes i am sure many of the staff are doing other work but expensesand cost will be much greater

example now I am know expert but all the search aircraft will be flying extra hours and that brings into service costs and many parts of air craft have to be replaced when they reach x amount of hour s

and I would not like the fuel bill I bet there will be a blow out in that budget

The one thing which will be a great advantage is the experience the search staff gain and extra knowledge will be a huge possitive

Just sitting down and working out where to go next will be for some a entirly new experience and only done in training

we do have to look at the positive side of things cannot just look at the negitive
Your the one looking at the negative. Whos cares how much its going to at this stage, there is a posibility that people are still alive. Lets say you had a family member on that plane, you going to call the Coast Guard and get them to call the search off because its already costing the taxpayer too much money?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #248
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

A comment in the Wall Street Journal says that if it had taken the 'northern route', it would have been intercepted (basically) by all manner of countries as it is heavily militarised airspace.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #249
ray38l

Quote:

In terms of Australia's contribution It isn't costing us much.
We have sent 2 Orion aircraft Which would most likely have 2 flight crew, and up to 6 Airborne Electronic Analysts in each plane.
Whether they are looking for the missing plane or not the planes would be in the air because the air force use them to detect boat people on a daily basis. They spend a lot of time monitoring Asian shipping corridors. So either way the planes cost us money, but as far as we know there could still be people alive that they are searching for.
Old 17-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #250
cram_it_frog
wombat

I am sorry if it seemed negitive i was looking at the event as a whole the postive and negitive side of the really sad event

you will know that there has been several major crashes in the sea and it has taken time and new technology to be able to get the black boxes I can only hope if it has crashed it is not too deep and we get answers quicker than later
Old 17-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #251
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I am sorry if it seemed negitive i was looking at the event as a whole the postive and negitive side of the really sad event

you will know that there has been several major crashes in the sea and it has taken time and new technology to be able to get the black boxes I can only hope if it has crashed it is not too deep and we get answers quicker than later
dont worry , if you sounded negative . the guy that had a shot at you about it was more out of line than you were .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #252
cram_it_frog
wombat

ray38l are they sending new aircraft to search the indian ocean now or is that the same aircraft moved down ?

the news said the they plan on looking into the indian ocean as well but are not sure exactly where to look at present.
Old 17-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #253
ray38l

I think it is the same planes just looking where they think it could be now. The government is considering sending more.
It makes you wonder if the countries searching for the plane, had of been working together from the start, would we have found it already.
Old 17-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #254
cram_it_frog
wombat

I think the most important thing now is to hope and pray that the entire situation is solved as soon as posible and then we can agrue till the cows come home about diferent ways to make sure that some thing like this does not happen again.

agreed?
Old 17-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #255
DreadlyST

With where they are looking in those islands in the Indian Ocean, some of which are uninhabited, and some where you are not allowed on!
This sounds remarkably similar to the Plot of the TV show LOST!!!
Maybe this pilot was some nutjob LOST fan and he's had a go at a recreation!
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #256
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l View Post
I think it is the same planes just looking where they think it could be now. The government is considering sending more.
It makes you wonder if the countries searching for the plane, had of been working together from the start, would we have found it already.
I think we (Australia) need to up the ante a bit more now that the search is no longer confined to Malaysian waters or Malaysian airspace. We could sortie a submarine or two and a frigate from HMAS Stirling to see if they can pick up any transponder signals in deep water. We could also re-task the other AP-3 down here instead of continuing a red herring search in Malaysian waters.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 17-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #257
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I think we (Australia) need to up the ante a bit more now that the search is no longer confined to Malaysian waters or Malaysian airspace. We could sortie a submarine or two and a frigate from HMAS Stirling to see if they can pick up any transponder signals in deep water. We could also re-task the other AP-3 down here instead of continuing a red herring search in Malaysian waters.
Given all the sabre rattling, it would be ironic if Australian Intelligence had already traced the flight path and signals and placed the plane in Indon's territorial waters - don't you think?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #258
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Do you mind if I add my two bob's worth in reply? And I am certainly no expert but do have a background in avionics engineering....

Depends on the autopilot system, but most modern planes (and I would assume this would include the B777) would be able to have 'waypoints' programmed into the autopilot system.

nstg8a was right, gravity takes care of the altitude issue. Just the same as your car does not increase altitude along a straight stretch of road due to the earth's curvature.

Also a pilot is still able to change heading and pitch (attitude) even with the autopliot engaged by use of the 'bug' on the Attitude Heading Reference System (AHRS) which would be built into the B777's Electronic Flight Instrumentation System (EFIS).

Hope that helps.

Craig H
At the beginning of the flight usually the flight plan for that particular flight is downloaded from satelite. The pilot loading the FMC then puts in the SID (departure) so that all the waypoints are in for the entire flight to the destination. LNAV (lateral navigation) then engages after T/O and the aircraft will follow all the waypoints to the destination. Approaching the destination the flying pilot will put in the STAR (arrival) and the instrument approach. SIDs and STARs are just more waypoints. Usually the aircraft is climbed by the pilots at times when the FMC sez the optimum altitude is higher. This is due to the aircraft getting lighter with fuel burn off. It is actually illegal for pilots to hand fly at cruise due to only 1000 ft separation vertically. The A/P does a better job of maintaining altitude.
2011 FG GTP 335 S/C. Auto, tiptronic. iPV ceramic headers, stainless hi flow cats and big bore, BMC filter, X3 tune, DBA T3 rotors, Roadhouse Performance pads. From Herrod; 100lb injectors, hi flow pump, Aeroflow fuel regulator, air to water intercooler, hi boost pulley kit, JLT breather. Hub dynoed at 598fwkw, 498rwkw, 959Nm torque, boost 10.62psi at 3750rpm (warm day). All done by iPV!
Other rides; '21 Jaguar F-Pace, '21 Ford Ranger FX4-MAX.
FPVS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #259
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26610946

That southern projected flight path off the coast of WA, is incredibly close to 'Diamantina Deep', the deepest point in the Indian Ocean, over 8 Kilometers down. Something to think about.
Old 18-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #260
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/malays...ry?id=22887047

Few days old. On going terror trial. Briefly mentions a pilot and Malaysian terrorists intentions, even if it was 13 years ago.
Old 18-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #261
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Hollywood stuntman, whose kung fu skills have been featured in films such as Fearless in which he doubled for martial arts actor Jet Li, is among the 239 passengers on a Malaysia Airlines flight that went missing more than a week ago.

Ju Kun was on his way to Beijing to see his two young children and intended to pick up materials for his current work project when MH370 disappeared on March 8, Malaysian tabloid The Star reported.

The 35-year-old was scheduled to work on a new Netflix and Weinstein Company series Marco Polo in Malaysia.
Advertisement

"Ju Kun, who was on board, was an integral part of our production team and a tremendous talent. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time," the production company said in a statement.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/jet-lis-...#ixzz2wDxnLVQF
Old 18-03-2014, 01:37 AM   #262
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26610946

That southern projected flight path off the coast of WA, is incredibly close to 'Diamantina Deep', the deepest point in the Indian Ocean, over 8 Kilometers down. Something to think about.
Interesting, Google Sunda trench and have a look at its geographical position...

Smack bang where the plane is said to have flown to and is arguable the deepest part of the Indian ocean.

I smell a cover up, its conveniently where it cant be detected...

Last edited by BENT_8; 18-03-2014 at 01:45 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2014, 04:01 AM   #263
Mainforcepatrol

Have heard from the maintenance ground crews that handle the airline that it was carrying gold in its cargo.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #264
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post
Have heard from the maintenance ground crews that handle the airline that it was carrying gold in its cargo.
You for real?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #265
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2....-intv.cnn.html

Professor of electrical engineering explains how the plane could have avoided radar.
Old 18-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #266
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Here's an interesting theory from a person who reckons MH370 diverted at the same time a Europe-bound Singapore Airlines flight was moving through the area - and followed it to avoid radar

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/po...ing-sia68-sq68

2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #267
XWGT