Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #211
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendkill555666
ELN Tuggerah/Wyong?
I don't know if we can name names.... but it was probably one stop before there...
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #212
skp
Starter Motor

Biggest mistake a car salesman made to me is telling me he would hate to be marrying me after looking at my engagement ring, and me saying I won't buy the car this week to save $5,000 without researching it more first. (this was on a $30,000 car that I don't even want anymore!) I've only had private experiences apart from that, and I think I'll stick to avoiding car yards.
skp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #213
BA Baracus
xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Jane
After the sale we were directed to the most painful, insincere woman I have ever encountered to discuss post sale options. window tinting, paint protection etc.
Im not over exaggerating. My sister and my mother were both there (both women obviously) and they agreed as well.
She started with "My name's Josephine, but my friends call me Joe."
You dont know how hard it was for me to stop myself from saying "well to me you are Josephine then."

I can not possibly see how she got the job there in the first place. Unless she was related to or friends with the manager. That's just the way of the wicked world unforunately.
She cant have lasted long there.
We had this recently at a dealer when buying a car for my mother. Salesman was really good and helpful but we were then directed to woman that was excessively pretentious and painful to put the sell on us for rustproofing etc. In an attempt to build rapport she quizzed the four of us with prying questions on our age, marital status, kids, work and where we lived etc etc. When we ended up not buying any of the stuff it was implied that without window tint there was a fair chance we'd get skin cancer and die!
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #214
GB1186
So many cars and no cash

Walked it and asked to test drive a el the guy told me to go out the front and he would bring it out he came out in a vt and told me it is a better car i shook my head and walked off the vt is still sitting there and this was about six months ago el was brought buy one of the sales guys there
78 XC GXL FAIRMONT
78 XC FAIRMONT
GB1186 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #215
GTP 290

Recently I was driving my house mate around in my '06 GT-P looking for cheap boxes that have been traded in for a project he wanted to do. I pulled upp out the front of the local HSV dealership and started walking towards a salesman. First thing that came out of his mouth was "decided you want to drive a real car mate?" my reply was simple "I'd rather push my ford than drive a chev" and kept walking past him toward another salesman. On leaving the establishment I though I'd show them how my 'not real' car can leave a nice big pair of black lines out the front of their extablishment.
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #216
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
Recently I was driving my house mate around in my '06 GT-P looking for cheap boxes that have been traded in for a project he wanted to do. I pulled upp out the front of the local HSV dealership and started walking towards a salesman. First thing that came out of his mouth was "decided you want to drive a real car mate?" my reply was simple "I'd rather push my ford than drive a chev" and kept walking past him toward another salesman. On leaving the establishment I though I'd show them how my 'not real' car can leave a nice big pair of black lines out the front of their extablishment.

You should have replied "Were looking for s#itboxes so we came to a Holden dealership".
Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #217
Tom_Jane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
We had this recently at a dealer when buying a car for my mother. Salesman was really good and helpful but we were then directed to woman that was excessively pretentious and painful to put the sell on us for rustproofing etc. In an attempt to build rapport she quizzed the four of us with prying questions on our age, marital status, kids, work and where we lived etc etc. When we ended up not buying any of the stuff it was implied that without window tint there was a fair chance we'd get skin cancer and die!
pretentious is definitely a word I would use to describe the woman I mentioned. She too asked a lot of prying questions. Said we'd get skin cancer on our hands if we didn't get tinting.

I said all that stuff should come included with the car and I have a budget to stick to. She then started treating us as inferior (even more so), verbally and with body language (stepping back). Dont remember the exact words but she wanted to insult us - "you must be in financial difficulties."
Tom_Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #218
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehehe, this is a good topic!! Some of the stories in here are really making me laugh.. How can sales people get it so wrong sometimes??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #219
trendkill555666

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens_tuf
I don't know if we can name names.... but it was probably one stop before there...

Got you!

If its the same dealer I'm thinking of, sales woman told me the BA XR8 had a 6sp auto!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #220
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I do the safety checks/mechanical repairs at a dealer and have to deal with the used car salesman on a regular basis.
Some recent funny stuff.

Got asked to organise a spare wheel for a 4wd because apparently didnt have one. I said isnt the one on the tailgate good enough for you...........

Asked to swap grilles on 2 identical cars. What about the colour difference. Saleman response "oh yeah didnt think of that"

Had a 4WD with a major clunking noise when engaging drive. Told the used car manager and he said "they all do that, go drive a new one and you will hear it." Yeah ok no worries. Checked underneath to find the tailshaft completely worn out. From new hey?!
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #221
hotsup

Certain Ford salesman in Adelaide flogging me a AUIII XR8. Knew I was layed up for a few days with a little surgery and rings me repeatedly as he needed me to sign up for my car. Hence I ordered my VX post recovery.

Still wouldn't make me buy a Holden!!

I actually own a highly modified turbo Supra but I love Fords also.

Gotta love forced induction!

Please see us on Facebook. Professional Exterior Car Care......http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002478985123
hotsup is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #222
Rubidium

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
lol i rekon with a bunch of people off the forums here we could run a very successful ford dealership :P
Watch They Saved Lisa's Brain, it would end up like that.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #223
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll add my bit
back in 2000 my GF's boss bought her a new festiva for $13000 and after he went bust the payment came back to her so she drove back into the ford dealer 2 months later with 2000km on the clock and they offerd $8k for it so she kept in under a cover for another 4 years adn I sold it for $10k with 6,000km on the clock
plus the same dealer won't let test drives unless you say i'm going to buy today. I stopped looking at cars there when i was told they use CL ford focus' as highway patrol cars....ha
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #224
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Lets leave the insults out of the thread please
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #225
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

A couple of weeks ago I took my sister out to get her a new(er) car to replace her old EF, we were looking primarily at BF XR6s or Fairmont Ghias.

First dealership we visited (a brand new multi million dollar dealership in the western suburbs of Melbourne if anybody's wondering) and we had a look at a couple of nice XR6s, both though had a 4 speed auto and we were looking for a 6 speed (clear as day they were 4 speeds, it even said 4 speed auto on the paper in the window) but Mr dealer was adament that the only XR6 you can get with a 4 speed was the LPG model, and that this one had the brilliant 5 speed.

He also was adament we wouldn't get a BF Ghia for under 25k. Later that day we bought a Blue Pearl '05 BF Ghia, with 65,000km for just under 22k. and my sister couldn't be happier.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #226
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
For a town with More Fords per capita, you do seem to have the worst luck with dealers. I've not heard good things about them either. My Brother is still driving my old Mazda, because they could not give him a concrete price on a TTG. He's ordered one through a Melbourne dealer, and will drive it back to Wagga himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Oh have a bloody guess mate, Wagga dealer......... hopeless as usual. The sooner they drop Ford and keep flogging Ssanyongs and Great Walls the better - let someone with half a clue do it.
While I have never purchased a new car from these guys, thats the only place i get my Falcon serviced (drive from Sydney)

Recently the rear window shattered (still dont know how, overnight on a farm it did it itself??) and although the car was out of warranty by a few months they took it on board and said "leave it with us" and fixed it for the cost price of the glass (over $200 cheaper than Windscreen's O'Brien)

They are happy to get under the car and discuss issues, rang me prior to end of warranty to ask what we could get fixed for no cost, and give me catch up calls to see if everything is OK.

Cheap bills and good service, Hillis Ford win in my books. Compare them to my experience with Wagga Motors (Holden) and its chalk and cheese.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #227
99_falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Isn't that a feature of just about every Falcon?

The BA that we had as a 'pool car' at work would run out when the DTE read 70kms. Several guys got caught out by that one but it made for funny reading on intermal email.
I've had my AU down to a DTE of 12km without running out of fuel. I think one day im going to have to find out how far down I can go.
99_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #228
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we were buying our xr6 it was the end of the financial year rang around dealers got a salesman called hanush told him our best price that we had been offered , he came back later on in the day with a price $700 dearer had to buy today and had to be a car in stock . I said why would we buy from you when its dearer he went on about how the car was only available today and will be dearer next week.

Ended up getting it fromthe cheaper dealer and it was for any colour we wanted not just what was in stock on the lot.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #229
trendkill555666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_falcon
I've had my AU down to a DTE of 12km without running out of fuel. I think one day im going to have to find out how far down I can go.

I've had my BF XR8 down to 6km till empty, I was getting very nervous.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #230
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendkill555666
I've had my BF XR8 down to 6km till empty, I was getting very nervous.
Refuelled my FG XR6T at 0km DTE and only put in 61 litres into a 68 litre tank... go figure.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #231
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_falcon
Had the old BA down to 1km in heavy traffic. Lucky there were a few servo's there. If the car didn't have the DTE problem you can run them quite low. Mind you I know I had the BF on 31km on an incline and the thing decided not to start until I rolled it onto level ground.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #232
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Had the old BA down to 1km in heavy traffic. Lucky there were a few servo's there. If the car didn't have the DTE problem you can run them quite low. Mind you I know I had the BF on 31km on an incline and the thing decided not to start until I rolled it onto level ground.
I never drove it, but the BA 'pool car' where I work would be bone dry when the DTE read 70kms. Made for some rather colourful emails late at night.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #233
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I have on numerous occasions had my XR6 to 0 klms to empty, about 3 kays away from the nearest servo, then when I get there, fill up, and it will only take about 61 - 62 litres. I still don't like to let it get that low.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #234
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
I never drove it, but the BA 'pool car' where I work would be bone dry when the DTE read 70kms. Made for some rather colourful emails late at night.
The fix was a resistor that was a TSB.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #235
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

I was looking at replacing my TE50 with a BF XR6T at the start of this year. Went to my local Ford dealership and found a maroon one in auto (was looking for silver in manual) that they were asking way too much for. After some wheeling and dealing managed to talk the salesman down to a bit more than the change over I was looking for. I advised him there was another car exactly the same at another dealership across town that I was going to look at but unless they could match or better his price I would be back. Other car was in a fairly ordinary condition so returned to the local yard and said that if everything was still ok I'd be in the next with a cheque for him. He said he'd get the car detailed for me and would have a coffee waiting for me the next morning. I paid a $500 deposit and left. Next morning after collecting my cheque I headed down to Ford and began to fill out the paperwork. Just before I signed anything I noticed the changeover figure had increased by $8,000. I pointed it out to him and he tried to tell me everything was how we agreed the previous day. I informed him that we had agreed to a much lower price and that was how much my cheque was made out for. His manager came in and told me that after thinking about it overnight he decided my car wasn't worth as much as what he originally said as it was an AU which is an ugly car and no Ford dealership would want one in their sales yard. Tore up my cheque and walked out. :

Next week found a silver BAII XR6T manual for sale a few hours down the road. Agreed on a changeover over the phone pending seeing the car. Drove the two hours to car yard where I was promptly told he had no intention of making the changeover we agreed on, instead he blatantly told me he said what he had to get me in to look at a BA Futura. After explaining that I wanted a manual turbo he told me to look elsewhere. :

By this time I'm well and truly over Ford salesmen. Happened to go past a Mitsubishi dealership which had an XR6T in the yard. Stopped in to have a look and had a chat with the salesgirl. She was more than helpful with showing me the XR but started pointing me towards a Lancer. After chatting for a while we crunched some numbers and came out with a brand new Lancer VRX manual with pretty much every option I could want thrown in for free for the same changeover I was looking at for the XR. Now I know the Lancer is nothing like what the TE was or what I was looking for in the turbo, and I still love my Fords, but the treatment I received from Ford dealerships (remembering this was when the global financial crisis was at it's worst) compared to the Mitsubishi guys was more than enough to make me switch the vehicle I own. I still miss being able to put down the right foot and go somewhere in a hurry with a sweet V8 roar but I wasn't going to continue driving a Ford after being treated like a complete moron by their salespeople.
Sparkling Burgundy T1 TE50 Build #027 - SOLD
TE50 027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #236
WarNerve
And look how happy he is!

If you want to hear anythign funny head out to frankston ford....
in oct they wanted 22k for an 04 BA with no options.
And if they dont have what u want they type it into a computer and say "we have a holding yard 2 mins down the road i will drive you there"
being the sucker i am i get into the car. he drove me 20-30 mins away to mornington to look at an over priced car that didnt have any options i wanted.
when i turned to him and said "im not interested in this one it doesnt have any options i was after"
he looked angry and said "If you wherent serious why would want to go to the holding yard"
I wasnt too happy at this point so i told him if he could tell me what options where on the car before we left or call someone at the "holding yard" and ask we could save time instead he insisted on wasting an hour of my time.

not only that but he took us down in a brand new G6E and flogged it and stopped for petrol.

FGX XR8 Blue
[/b][/SIZE]
WarNerve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #237
Whitey Ford

Hi, we're looking for a turbo territory today and w..
:yeees: Nup
Pardon?
:yeees: Nup. Don't sell 'em
Perhaps you can check your stock levels and see if there are any kicking around other dealers?
:yeees: Nup.
Why not?
:yeees: Bosses say no turbos
ooookaaaay then

Didn't try and sell me anything else, just lots of "Nup" and that was it. We bought one elsewhere but I took it back to this place to get some warranty work done and there was a Turbo Territory sitting on the lot. Same guy approached me while I was looking at the sale ticket and I just rolled my eyes at him, he wouldn't remember our previous conversation but I'm sure he eats dog food every night if thats how good he is at sales.

Had a sales rep tell a person I know that in AU Falcons, the transmission and engine oil use the same sump so if you need to refill the transmission, just pour Automatic Transmission Fluid into the oil filler cap on the engine.

Was told that when my XR5T came without rear power windows that it was 'correct'. When I pointed out that it wasn't even an option to have manual windows in the back, they denied it. I actually got them to show me the Focus sales brochure, sure enough, rear power windows as standard on XR5T. Cost them a lot of money to fix.

Tried trading in my XR5T and the sales rep quoted me on an XR6T.

I've had lost of positive experiences too. Subaru dealer was pretty efficient, Volvo dealer was laid back and very relaxed, I totally would have bought a Volvo XC90 off them but I just really did not like that car at all. Shame. The place I ended up buying a Turbo Territory from was really good, pretty organised, picked me up from the airport, full tank of fuel and a personal highlight, although the vehicle was very clean, the engine bay was not soaked in ArmorAll. I will buy from them again.
Whitey Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #238
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 027
I was looking at replacing my TE50 with a BF XR6T at the start of this year. Went to my local Ford dealership and found a maroon one in auto (was looking for silver in manual) that they were asking way too much for. After some wheeling and dealing managed to talk the salesman down to a bit more than the change over I was looking for. I advised him there was another car exactly the same at another dealership across town that I was going to look at but unless they could match or better his price I would be back. Other car was in a fairly ordinary condition so returned to the local yard and said that if everything was still ok I'd be in the next with a cheque for him. He said he'd get the car detailed for me and would have a coffee waiting for me the next morning. I paid a $500 deposit and left. Next morning after collecting my cheque I headed down to Ford and began to fill out the paperwork. Just before I signed anything I noticed the changeover figure had increased by $8,000. I pointed it out to him and he tried to tell me everything was how we agreed the previous day. I informed him that we had agreed to a much lower price and that was how much my cheque was made out for. His manager came in and told me that after thinking about it overnight he decided my car wasn't worth as much as what he originally said as it was an AU which is an ugly car and no Ford dealership would want one in their sales yard. Tore up my cheque and walked out. :

Next week found a silver BAII XR6T manual for sale a few hours down the road. Agreed on a changeover over the phone pending seeing the car. Drove the two hours to car yard where I was promptly told he had no intention of making the changeover we agreed on, instead he blatantly told me he said what he had to get me in to look at a BA Futura. After explaining that I wanted a manual turbo he told me to look elsewhere. :

By this time I'm well and truly over Ford salesmen. Happened to go past a Mitsubishi dealership which had an XR6T in the yard. Stopped in to have a look and had a chat with the salesgirl. She was more than helpful with showing me the XR but started pointing me towards a Lancer. After chatting for a while we crunched some numbers and came out with a brand new Lancer VRX manual with pretty much every option I could want thrown in for free for the same changeover I was looking at for the XR. Now I know the Lancer is nothing like what the TE was or what I was looking for in the turbo, and I still love my Fords, but the treatment I received from Ford dealerships (remembering this was when the global financial crisis was at it's worst) compared to the Mitsubishi guys was more than enough to make me switch the vehicle I own. I still miss being able to put down the right foot and go somewhere in a hurry with a sweet V8 roar but I wasn't going to continue driving a Ford after being treated like a complete moron by their salespeople.
This really is amazing, I have NEVER been treated like a fool at Ford dealerships. Theyve always been courteous, helpful and willing to bend over backwards to sell me the car I wanted. In fact, I once looked at an '03 GT at a Mitsubishi yard. They were rude, impatient and even threatened me with legal action over not being able to purchase the car despite it being clearly stated in the contract that it was subject to finance. Obviously they knew this since they were merely empty threats. I certainly prefer Ford dealerships and as a result will always be on top of my consideration list for my next Ford. The fact we both live in the same reigon makes it even more amazing....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #239
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 027

It's funny that... my last 6 cars I've alternated between Ford and another marquis basically because Ford dealers don't seem to like Fords as trade-ins.

EA S Pack, wouldn't trade - ended up in VQ Statesman.

EF Ghia, best offer of 4k when 3 years old - ended up in VTSS with 16k as trade at 1st Holden dealer visited.

BA XR8, no Ford dealer would trade as no-one buys V8's anymore - ended up in R32.

The two Holdens that I've driven into the dealer to trade on a new Ford have offered above market value for them.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #240
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
It's funny that... my last 6 cars I've alternated between Ford and another marquis basically because Ford dealers don't seem to like Fords as trade-ins.

EA S Pack, wouldn't trade - ended up in VQ Statesman.

EF Ghia, best offer of 4k when 3 years old - ended up in VTSS with 16k as trade at 1st Holden dealer visited.

BA XR8, no Ford dealer would trade as no-one buys V8's anymore - ended up in R32.

The two Holdens that I've driven into the dealer to trade on a new Ford have offered above market value for them.
Interesting you say that, but I've had the opposite happen to me at Ford dealers.

Before I bought my Territory, I had my heart set on a LandCruiser. Toyota had a SVP on at the time, I think it was Kakadu, where you got climate, leather, sun roof and a couple of other things on top of a usual GXL. I had an AUIII with unusual KMS on it - I was a rep at the time, and didn't expect too high a Trade in figure. When the dealer came back with $9,500, I almost bolted then and there. I was too dumb, and instead sat through the embarrassment of hearing excuse after excuse as to why I couldn't have a test drive of the very car that I was going to buy.

I high tailed it out of Toyota, and straight into Ford, where I was offered Coffee, and was talked through the pros of a Territory, mainly over Kluger and Adventra. I had a test drive, and got $22,000 asa trade in, which knocked my socks off. I bought then and there.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post