Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #181
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First Drive: Falcon Ecoboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
hmmm I know many people will find it hard to go to I4, Are they still going to call it an XR6?
There's not gonna be an XR version anytime soon...

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #182
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
There's not gonna be an XR version anytime soon...
That is a MASSIVE mistake by Ford if you ask me... The most inportant thing to happen to Falcon in decedes is not in there best selling model!!
Why, why??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #183
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Something to think about, Ford can set the Ecoboost 2.0 at any power level between 149Kw and 270Kw,
the European Ford RS team have had the Ecoboost 2.0 at a reliable 380 hp (283Kw).

Theoretically, this engine has the potential to replace both the I-6 and its turbo brother,
I don't see that happening in the immediate future but with the right set of circumstances,
Falcon could be remade as the big car that has class leading performance and fuel economy

Last edited by jpd80; 08-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #184
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is a MASSIVE mistake by Ford if you ask me... The most inportant thing to happen to Falcon in decedes is not in there best selling model!!
Why, why??
There is still going to be a XR6 petrol, XR6 LPG and XR6T, it is just the T4 that does not have an XR permutation.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #185
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There's a good reason why Ford is not intending putting the EB 20 into XR6,
the expected take rate on the engine in that model is considered too low.

It's a case of boosting other models to take sales pressure off the XR

Last edited by jpd80; 08-12-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #186
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Something to think about, Ford can set the Ecoboost 2.0 at any power level between 149Kw and 270Kw,
the European Ford RS team have had the Ecoboost 2.0 at a reliable 380 hp (283Kw).

Theoretically, this engine has the potential to replace both the I-6 and its turbo brother,
I don't see that happening in the immediate future but with the right set of circumstances,
Falcon could be remade as the big car that has class leading performance and fuel economy
This will not happen.However ......
The current I6T is at anywhere between 300-325kw factory. Ford says 270
The regular I6 is at a more realistic 200kw factory. As ford says.

So in any form this 2.0 will be weaker as it's intended that way to be a fuel miser with enough go to not **** off customers The I6 and I6T will still be Champs.

If anything Ford in the future will go the V6 Twin Turbo route but eventually taking away the I6 and moving up the I4T will be a huge backward step for me personally but Ford have surprised me with some of their reasoning of late so you could also be correct in some form.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #187
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1
This will not happen.
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that thinking by linking what I said to post 2015 car, not E8.
By the time we're due for the new car, we could be in for serious weight reductions
and changes that make using smaller high performance I-4 and V6 engines a reality.

For now, Ecoboost is a better choice than a diesel because it has a lower buy in price,
has great fuel economy with conventional petrol, still the most popular fuel choice.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-12-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #188
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to clarify that thinking by linking what I said to post 2015 car, not E8.
By the time we're due for the new car, we could be in for serious weight reductions
and changes that make using smaller high performance I-4 and V6 engines a reality.

For now, Ecoboost is a better choice than a diesel because it has a lower buy in price,
has great fuel economy with conventional petrol, still the most popular fuel choice.
Ford need to do what they said they will... which is incorporate more high-strength low-weight materials. CFRP, Nano steel, Aluminium. Plus there is only so much you can do for a large car. Ford say almost 50:50 weight balance now... just shy of 1700Kg's in XT trim. Not bad for something the size of a 5 series BMW

What do you know about an E8 replacement John?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #189
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Ford need to do what they said they will... which is incorporate more high-strength low-weight materials. CFRP, Nano steel, Aluminium. Plus there is only so much you can do for a large car. Ford say almost 50:50 weight balance now... just shy of 1700Kg's in XT trim. Not bad for something the size of a 5 series BMW
Ecoboost has shaved 60Kg off the weight so Xt Ecoboost is around 1640 Kg, but if Ford were to
reduce strength in the frame because it doesn't have to support I-6T or V8 or tow 2300 Kg,
we might see another 50-60 kg shaved off. Now that would be getting very interesting...
Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #190
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Ford have. They worked hard with the FG to keep the weight down. In the end the FG only put 17kg on over the B series.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #191
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Ford have. They worked hard with the FG to keep the weight down. In the end the FG only put 17kg on over the B series.
I know. FG is a step in the right direction. Aluminium double A arms in pivot link setup. Quite speccy for an aussie car.

But I don't think they need to cut down on frame strength... just more parts made from lighter materials.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #192
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Why, why??
Maybe to try and protect the XR brand a little... They have bashed and abused it since BA MKII... Its time to give it a rest and give some sales back to XT / G6 (in particular).
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #193
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Maybe to try and protect the XR brand a little... They have bashed and abused it since BA MKII... Its time to give it a rest and give some sales back to XT / G6 (in particular).
I think it's so they won't have to spend time and money punching up the XR6 petrol to make an XR4 justifiable. The least Ford could do is fit it with PULP capable parts and recommend that fuel only. Tiny tune and hey 200kw.

I think an XR4 would be pretty cool though.

Falcons next upgrade should be an optional 8-speed ZF. Considering ZF have factory here. It'd be noteworthy research, and a great option for serious fuel savers.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #194
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:

I think to be a streetable package, they would want to look at twin turbo setups to get that sort of peak output. But as you say thats all future speak and whilst we've now got Gen1 Ecoboost, sequential twin turbo might not be seen until gen3.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #195
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Look, as excited about potential BYFB tune-ability (fairly easy 10-20% gain) this engine is about catching private sales and more importantly bulk fleet sales by offering solid performance and excellent economy.

We might even see some 1000kms from a tank advert for Falcon...

I think rental fleets will look very seriously at the EB powered Falcons. If people drive them and are impressed with the performance and economy then that is wide exposure for the product.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #196
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I think to be a streetable package, they would want to look at twin turbo setups to get that sort of peak output. But as you say thats all future speak and whilst we've now got Gen1 Ecoboost, sequential twin turbo might not be seen until gen3.
You don't need twin turbos on an I-4, these days a twin scroll will do the same thing.
What ford is looking at is higher EGR to control detonation and NOX at higher boost.
The beauty of Ecoboost is ion the precise software commands, not the hardware...

The Focus RS will be around 300 hp with factory approved kits to add 60-80 hp,
I wonder if that 300 hp is mostly a tune, exhaust and bigger intercooler,
I can see future Falcon EB fans looking at these suppliers for assistance...

Last edited by jpd80; 09-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #197
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting they didn't adopt the Terrys electric steering eh... Apparently it's good for slightly better economy...

Previous rides:
R32 Skyline gtst - drift weapon
67 VC Val - Cruiser
A4 1.8t MTM 286 - Euro Evo
AU2 XR8 Ute - rumbly drift weapon.
BA2 Futura Wagon - boom box.
Suzuki Swift Sport - thrash me!
Ford Kuga 1.6T AWD - work car, hoping to replace it with a new weapon soon...
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #198
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Interesting they didn't adopt the Terrys electric steering eh... Apparently it's good for slightly better economy...
Where did you read that?
Quote:
GoAuto understands that Falcon will follow Territory by getting the Nexteer Automotive electric steering package as part of a global roll-out of the fuel-saving technology by the Blue Oval, which has a goal of 90 per cent EPAS fitment across its range by 2012. Falcon is also expected to get the new Territory’s driver’s knee airbag, improved noise suppression measures and latest Bosch 9.0 stability control system that includes an anti-roll-over function. The Ford electric steering system confirmed for Territory - and also fitted to the Ford Mustang in the US - can be upgraded into a fully fledged automatic parallel parking system, which Ford calls Active Park Assist (APS), by adding the necessary software, sensors and console button.
EPASS on FG II will happen as a running change when Nexsteer plant is up and running,
I'm pretty sure the Ecoboost will have EPASS from launch as doing steering twice over is crazy.

It also means that later this year, all Territorys and Falcons can have park assist like Titanium Focus.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #199
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Where did you read that?

EPASS on FG II will happen as a running change when Nexsteer plant is up and running, I'm pretty sure the Ecoboost will have EPASS from launch as doing steering twice over is crazy.

It also means that later this year, all Territorys and Falcons can have park assist like Titanium Focus.
Yep, Nexteer is in the process of expanding it's Australian manufacturing!

Falcon and Territory with self park would be a great anti-dinosaur play.

EPAS is worth about 3% to fuel economy improvement.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #200
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

As far as XR goes, do you think Ford took away the XR4/5 names away in case the 4cyl Falcon is well received and they decide actually implement an XR model?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #201
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
As far as XR goes, do you think Ford took away the XR4/5 names away in case the 4cyl Falcon is well received and they decide actually implement an XR model?
Ecoboost Falcon acceleration is comparable to Mondeo XR5T..
Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #202
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Ecoboost Falcon acceleration is comparable to Mondeo XR5T..
even mondeo ecoboost is comparable i think.

any plans for ecoboost for focus? does it have it already? don't really follow along with small cars.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #203
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

They'll get a 1.6 Ecoboost in some markets, but only the ST and RS will get the 2L.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #204
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I get the feeling the 1.6 ecoboost for the Focus is being reserved for future upgrades. Ford have said that it is being "considered"
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #205
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Where did you read that?

EPASS on FG II will happen as a running change when Nexsteer plant is up and running,
I'm pretty sure the Ecoboost will have EPASS from launch as doing steering twice over is crazy.

Its already been said that Ecoboost Falcon does not have EPAS. And in FGII they deleted the variable ratio rack and pinion steering and made it linear ratio, which I found dissapointing as they spent a lot of money fitting it for FG, it was supposedly to be world class, and then they delete it most likely for cost saving.

I don't think we'll see EPAS until 2013. Running change next year maybe, but probably not likely.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #206
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A smaller Ecoboost will also probably replace the base 1.6L N/A.
the 1.0L Ecoboost is reported to have up to 92kw and 170nm
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #207
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
And in FGII they deleted the variable ratio rack and pinion steering and made it linear ratio, which I found dissapointing as they spent a lot of money fitting it for FG, it was supposedly to be world class, and then they delete it most likely for cost saving.
When I read the press info on FG II I also found this dissapointing and puzzeling. The variable rack was a big part of the FG update and was, I think, an Australian design used by Benz as well.
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #208
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

put it in a KE20 bro.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #209
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
A smaller Ecoboost will also probably replace the base 1.6L N/A.
the 1.0L Ecoboost is reported to have up to 92kw and 170nm
Don't count on it in a price sensitive base model.....
Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #210
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
When I read the press info on FG II I also found this dissapointing and puzzeling. The variable rack was a big part of the FG update and was, I think, an Australian design used by Benz as well.
perhaps it was in the too hard basket to bring so much new stuff in all at once, with the new engines and other upgrades on other models.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post