Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #181
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford executives comment on the future of Falcon and Territory

For me, the best thing Ford could do with this money is bring all the latest tech that Mondeo/ Focus has, put the territory diesel in Falcon & make some sheet metal changes that make the car look new & fresh. And do all this within 12 months!!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #182
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read it is actually $103 million
Old 10-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #183
Blue_XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Just read it is actually $103 million
I also just read it on Ford Australia's facebook page
Good news - this morning in Detroit, Ford Australia President & CEO Bob Graziano has announced a further $103 million investment in our locally produced vehicles, to go on sale in 2014. He was joined by Federal Minister for Manufacturing Senator Kim Carr and Ford Asia Pacific and Africa CEO Joe Hinrichs.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #184
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would this be money spent on a facelift or something extra like a new bodystyle or engine tech?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #185
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Would this be money spent on a facelift or something extra like a new bodystyle or engine tech?
They reckon "fuel efficiency savings" and "safety" but then go on to say it would include things like "tyres, transmissions and design"

In all honesty they don't need to spend anything on engine tech because its been spent, if Ecoboost takes off like we think it will, that will make the I6 pretty irrelevant and the TDV6 in the Territory just needs some tweaking and upgrades here and there to keep it current.

This $103 Million is as we suspected, to pay for the next update, they still clearly haven't made their minds up about the next gen car and probably won't for another few months as they want to see what effect Ecoboost has.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #186
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
In all honesty they don't need to spend anything on engine tech because its been spent, if Ecoboost takes off like we think it will, that will make the I6 pretty irrelevant and the TDV6 in the Territory just needs some tweaking and upgrades here and there to keep it current.
IMO, they do need to spend on weight saving and perhaps aerodynamics, to further improve economy and performance. And a wagon (I know I know... it was dropped because it didnt sell, but Holden have proven pretty well it can sell in the right format).

That said, $100mil doesnt seem to go far these days.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #187
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
quality control at the top of the list.
next would be to begin integrating Ford EU and US technologies into the local made. No point in reinventing the wheel when the hard work and $$ has already been done.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #188
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm - how much to get a Ford Global engine into Falc ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #189
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Hmmm - how much to get a Ford Global engine into Falc ?
They're already in it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #190
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're already in it.
Sorry, Ford Global 6 pot.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #191
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Sorry, Ford Global 6 pot.
Yeah nah it won't happen, the global V6 caused too many fitment issues with the FG.

The I6 will soldier on I think, with some upgrades, but if Ecoboost takes off then the I6 will become irrelevant for most applications apart from the Territory RWD and turbo variants.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #192
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

5.0 NA FFS!

But this is great news. IMO the Falcon is up there with driveline, if I read something about DSG I will throw up, waste of time the ZF/Ford SPD6 is good enough.

Get TDI in the Falcon, 5.0 NA (dream maybe but it is an area that is hurting utes) would be all I would do. Then give the falcon the bells and whistles the other models get and reskin it to new corporate look.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #193
Flat Top
lid man

$103m for upgrade ?? thats more plausible< which platform?>
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #194
snailbate
snailbate

We do not know what agreement Ford and Holden have had to sign to obtain the grant or what they had to do to get the Govt Funding
I would sugest that they are testing the waters to see what the Govt will say or do
II would sugest they would have gone by now and we would be importing vehicles now and i also sugest that Toyota would leave Australia after they acepeted funding if they could, with out the agreement they would have signed
Terry
snailbate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #195
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There has been an attitude change the last couple of years, motor vehicle industry is now a public-private partnership, just like a toll road or the defence industry.

I think we will see a reversal of the Button Plan in some ways, instead of a consolidation of models and a focus on exports, we will see an expansion of locally built models with a focus on domestic sales.

I think Toyota in the next couple of years will announce local Rav4 production alongside Camry/Aurion at Altona and I wouldnt be suprised if Ford gains a third model too.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #196
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
There has been an attitude change the last couple of years, motor vehicle industry is now a public-private partnership, just like a toll road or the defence industry.

I think we will see a reversal of the Button Plan in some ways, instead of a consolidation of models and a focus on exports, we will see an expansion of locally built models with a focus on domestic sales.

I think Toyota in the next couple of years will announce local Rav4 production alongside Camry/Aurion at Altona and I wouldnt be suprised if Ford gains a third model too.
That's a bit left field but Toyota are on record as saying they'd like to introduce a third vehicle line (in reality it would be a 2nd line)

Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #197
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
2016 - 17 ? Yep I'm betting gone !

People have been guessing the next falcon is the last falcon for around 50 years. I am getting pretty used to this. The sydney morning herald wrote 4 days ago the the Falcon would not get past 2014. This morning its 2016. There are way too many experts out there that have not a clue as to what the powers that be at Ford are doing, so stop guessing as it really plays on the minds of alot of Employes whose jobs depend on the local automotive industry continuing.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #198
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman
People have been guessing the next falcon is the last falcon for around 50 years. I am getting pretty used to this. The sydney morning herald wrote 4 days ago the the Falcon would not get past 2014. This morning its 2016. There are way too many experts out there that have not a clue as to what the powers that be at Ford are doing, so stop guessing as it really plays on the minds of alot of Employes whose jobs depend on the local automotive industry continuing.
And you are who ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #199
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman
Um Yes Sir? I will discuss if I want to. I CARE about Australian manufacturing so I will continue to debate the life of the Falcon. I'm sure the employees aren't worried about what I have to say.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #200
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The deadline for new platforms to comply with Euro 5 is 2014 while existing vehicle have until 2016.
It is highly likely that falcon I-6 will see this product cycle out, so everybody stop piling on, Falcon is not dead.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #201
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
5.0 NA FFS!

But this is great news. IMO the Falcon is up there with driveline, if I read something about DSG I will throw up, waste of time the ZF/Ford SPD6 is good enough.

Get TDI in the Falcon, 5.0 NA (dream maybe but it is an area that is hurting utes) would be all I would do. Then give the falcon the bells and whistles the other models get and reskin it to new corporate look.
And the Falcon would fail. I like V8s and big cars too, but the general public doesn't (well, not the cost or "percieved" cost of running them. You can only fight against the tide for so long...
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #202
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

Rav-4 is Corolla based, so that won't happen. It's no secret, however that Toyota want Kluger in Australia. If they can build it locally, they can take it to Ford.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #203
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Rav-4 is Corolla based, so that won't happen. It's no secret, however that Toyota want Kluger in Australia. If they can build it locally, they can take it to Ford.
Just as Ford should take the battle to Toyota Prado with the Everest,
This or Mondeo should be our third production line...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #204
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Just as Ford should take the battle to Toyota Prado with the Everest,
This or Mondeo should be our third production line...
Kuga, Territory, Everest, blam.

Everest would make a good addition to the local production portfolio, but the numbers sold would be limited. IMO nowhere near the numbers the Territory is getting at the moment.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #205
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Makes sense as Kluger is Camry based, so it wouldn't involve a massive re-tooling of the factory.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #206
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
And the Falcon would fail. I like V8s and big cars too, but the general public doesn't (well, not the cost or "percieved" cost of running them. You can only fight against the tide for so long...
Hmm well I see it another way, Holden do pretty well selling V8's, AMG are breaking records. Modern V8's dont drink like they used to, some have cylinder deactivation etc...I agree that its not a massive market, but XR8 sedan + ute (ute moreso) G8E etc could pull back some sales.

Falcons issue altogether is how its perceived full stop. The EB4 and LPi will go some way to change that but the issue is that stereotypes and habits takes years to change, not just model cycles.

Ford have spent all the money they need to on fuel efficiency IMO, yes you will get little improvements here and there, ePAS for example, but core engine wise I find it hard to see it improving (except for TDi and V8 in Ford branded cars).

Plus it is arguably the greatest "stock" V8 Ford has ever produced, it fixes all the "shortcomings" of the 5.4 falcons and its pretty cheap even to the normal customer.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #207
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How about they actually do SOME advertising for MkII Falcon. Or do they think they will sell themselves considering next to no one knows anything about them.

Are they serious about selling locally made cars on not? Or are they happy to slowly kill it off so they don't have to build another all new one.

If they haven't started advertising it by the end of the month its obvious which way they want to go.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #208
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
How about they actually do SOME advertising for MkII Falcon. Or do they think they will sell themselves considering next to no one knows anything about them.

Are they serious about selling locally made cars on not? Or are they happy to slowly kill it off so they don't have to build another all new one.

If they haven't started advertising it by the end of the month its obvious which way they want to go.
Mmmm. That seems reasonable. No one knows how good the car is. And they declared publicly they wouldn't advertise LPi

Seems like they want to kill it off.

Quote:
They reckon "fuel efficiency savings" and "safety" but then go on to say it would include things like "tyres, transmissions and design"

This $103 Million is as we suspected, to pay for the next update, they still clearly haven't made their minds up about the next gen car and probably won't for another few months as they want to see what effect Ecoboost has.
Tyres, Transmission, design all contribute to fuel efficiency. Sounds like they're gearing up for one last crack. They may even be able to get EB under the 8L/100KM mark. Couple that with the new Kinetic design. LPi... and the rest of the things that make Falcon such a great car, and a resurgence might not be fantasy.

But then like Boss says. If they don't advertise the car..... who's going to care?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/154129/f...fe-until-2016/

article says that both models will continue on the same architecture introduced in 2002 with BA. That's a load of $H!%. FG was practically a new car.

Last edited by Buntz; 10-01-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #209
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Mmmm. That seems reasonable. No one knows how good the car is. And they declared publicly they wouldn't advertise LPi
Why would they? Private buyers for the most part dont buy LPG (I cant believe the degree of denial of this here).

Fleet managers dont need to be advertised to - they will do their homework as a matter of course.

EcoBoost needs to be advertised ... and advertised hard. Its a potential game-changer.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #210
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Why would they? Private buyers for the most part dont buy LPG (I cant believe the degree of denial of this here).

Fleet managers dont need to be advertised to - they will do their homework as a matter of course.

EcoBoost needs to be advertised ... and advertised hard. Its a potential game-changer.
Ummm.... yes Private buyers do buy LPG. My Father happening to be one of them. And if he is the only one (he isn't), then that's more than your assumption.