NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
xr8gn3

Over 10% of forum members with no insurance.

Old 31-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8gn3
Over 10% of forum members with no insurance.
Hope none of those 10% are cruising up to Heathcote for the AFF Drag Day...getting rear ended by a member with no insurance would make an interesting thread !!

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
Old 31-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Hope none of those 10% are cruising up to Heathcote for the AFF Drag Day...getting rear ended by a member with no insurance would make an interesting thread !!
Golden rule of all AFF cruises & events... If you have no insurance you are not allowed to attend. Period.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Very easily. Wet road, too much throttle and take out a powerpole. Theres a huge cost right there. Now add a transformer to that pole... mega bucks. Now add that pole falling on a house. Debt for life!
My freind Scott lost control of his car on a wet road. Then mounted the foot path and smashed into a transformer then hit a brick fence. The reason Scott had the prang was because some turd poured deisel on the road.also the speed limit was 80 and scott was doing 70. The reason I am writing this is so the uninsured can understand how easy it is to have an accident with out you being at fault and still being the one that has to pay for all the damage.. Lucky for Scott he was insured and all cost were covered. How much could that accident cost him if he did not have insurance. Well over $150 thousand...

He was also bloody lucy not to get killed by the transformer.

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 31-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd have to really be driving like a dick to run into someone anyway. I learnt that around 12 years ago. One hard lesson and I've never had an accident since. Plenty have ran into my cars due to being dicks but I've never even came close.

Proper driving experience means less incidents ;)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 31-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
You'd have to really be driving like a dick to run into someone anyway. I learnt that around 12 years ago. One hard lesson and I've never had an accident since. Plenty have ran into my cars due to being dicks but I've never even came close.

You'd have to thinking like a dick to take the risk and not give a stuff about paying for the damage you may cause.

Your too good a driver? Yeah they all think that till they see their bonnets crumple.

Dont meen to be rude but no 3PP is just irresponsible and UnAustralian!
Old 31-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
xr8gn3

Quote:

Your right on the money there brenx......This is why I asked the question.
If you know how to control your car and you know its limtations your less likely to have an accident by you own fault and more prepared to avoid one if the unpredicatble happens. This would no doubt account for many of the accidents we see on our roads today.

Of course there are the situations that Jabba pointed out that are nearly next to impossible to avoid but not improbable. Im always more conscious when driving in the wet and try to for see situations that can lead to unfortunate mishaps.

Old 31-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
Dez
Banned

Quote:

you do not have to be driving like a dick. anything can happen.

for example, last years heatchote cruise. we were all crusing, doing about 100-105km/h, and someone almost missed the exit.

now, i wasnt driving like a dick, the BA XR in front of me wasn't driving like a dick, and the AU XR behind me wasn't driving like a dick, but we almost all had rear enders that day. anything can happen. pay the third party.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #9
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BANG
Quote:

theres no doubt that experience prevents accidents IMO, however i know that in all city type driving situations people sit too closely to the car in front, if you cant react and stop in the distance in front of you if the car in front decides i need to stop NOW so i can turn here.
this is what happened to me, i did driver training at DECA and was pretty well a responible driver(albeit a bit of a hoon, never one to weave in and out of traffic though) i was travelling a safe distance to stop if this did occur but i was doing a head check(looking over my shoulder) when the clown in front decided to stop now hence no reaction time= BANG i cant see how this could be avoided(expect the unexpected?)
i wasn't being a dick, when i'm being a dick there is no cars around or a very low speed, (theres always gutters and powerpoles. )anyway insurance is just that, takes the gamble away, would you bet your house you will never hit an expensive car, i wouldnt be risking my house anyway.
Old 31-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven on a wet road covered in diesel. Even around round abouts. A local road (Thompsons Rd) here in Vic had a trucks fuel tanks rupture. It was good fun in a sense of doing 20kph speedo and 5kph road speed. ROFL. Once you were moving it was okay. The diesel didn't seem to hinder stopping. The diesel went for roughly 5-10k's till the truck ran 400lt of fuel out.

I'd still like to know how the tank ruptured.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

hell i have a 6k car and have insurance, i really couldnt give a stuff about the value of my own car (though i pay for full comp so it will be replaced if it is written off) but again the situation of the 200k merc, or the house or whatever.....

if i were faced with the situation of hitting a kid on a bike or something, i'd much rather drill the merc or house than kill a person.......

i know it makes me stress less, knowing the insurance is there to fall back on, even if i have to pay extra (excess - loose a rating etc) in the long run...

Last edited by LUXO_8; 01-04-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #12
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'd be a safe bet saying someone would run into me than them being hit by me. Thats how the last three incidents happened. If your head checks are that long to put you at risk? Your looking too long or use your mirrors. You head shouldn't have to turn with the mirror use.

1) Truck takes off the drivers side of one of my cars
2) Rental car can't stop and rearends my car which is sitting at a red light.
3) Vehicle T-bones my car due to not them not giving way at a T intersection when I had right of way.

My accident 12 years ago happened solely due to me following too closely.

Dez -: Nearly isn't an accident but if it did get too close? You weren't far enough away. Also in that case the driver in front can be found at fault. I can't remember what the exact laws are but there is about 3 broken laws about suddenly braking if not in an emergency. Emergency as defined by law.

[edit] My wifes a different story though. See spun out our EL recently twice on a wet road on the way to work. She is a lead foot. Our trip meter tells the same story too.

Last edited by brenx; 31-03-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 31-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
Dez
Banned

Quote:
It'd be a safe bet saying someone would run into me than them being hit by me. Thats how the last three incidents happened. If your head checks are that long to put you at risk? Your looking too long or use your mirrors. You head shouldn't have to turn with the mirror use.

1) Truck takes off the drivers side of one of my cars
2) Rental car can't stop and rearends my car which is sitting at a red light.
3) Vehicle T-bones my car due to not them not giving way at a T intersection when I had right of way.

My accident 12 years ago happened solely due to me following too closely.

Dez -: Nearly isn't an accident but if it did get too close? You weren't far enough away. Also in that case the driver in front can be found at fault. I can't remember what the exact laws are but there is about 3 broken laws about suddenly braking if not in an emergency. Emergency as defined by law.

[edit] My wifes a different story though. See spun out our EL recently twice on a wet road on the way to work. She is a lead foot. Our trip meter tells the same story too.
with the head check thing, a head check takes at least 1 second, just the moving ur head to do it takes time...and if a car happens to stop instantly at the precise moment u look away, then yes, you are very likely to hit it, and your headcheck didnt take to long.

as for the cruise incident, we werent travelling to close at all, but when 1 car is leading 10+ others, and suddenly has to go from 100 to 0 as quick as possible, and this effect has to filter down the line to all the other cars, then there is (and was) a fair chance that someone is gonna cop it....fortunately we all stopped in time. (just in my case, and im sure a few others)
Old 01-04-2005, 07:39 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
with the head check thing, a head check takes at least 1 second, just the moving ur head to do it takes time...and if a car happens to stop instantly at the precise moment u look away, then yes, you are very likely to hit it, and your headcheck didnt take to long.
That actually has happened to me. My one and only at fault accident while following a Camry. Head checked to change lanes, car infront broke and car infront had no brake lights. Looked forward and head checked again just as some ******** decided to race up the inside lane and cut into the position I was trying to get into. Looked forward again and it took just enough time to realise the car infront was braking hard with no brake lights.

BANG..

No-one cared about the fact that the car infront had no working brake lights, saying that the hit is probably what caused them now not to work... even though I hit in on the passenger rear quarter. Ontop of having the car stolen twice in 6 months, Rating 1 to 0 NCB in 1 year.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Can thoe who are uninsured answer these questions?

What happens if your car is stolen?
What Happens if your car is maliciously damaged?
What happens if parts are stolen off your car?
What happens if if someone sideswips your car and does a runner?

It amazes me that anyone would rick not being insured. But luck if you join a Ford cruise and accidently run into the rear of a GT-P!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 01-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Can thoe who are uninsured answer these questions?

What happens if your car is stolen?
What Happens if your car is maliciously damaged?
What happens if parts are stolen off your car?
What happens if if someone sideswips your car and does a runner?

It amazes me that anyone would rick not being insured. But luck if you join a Ford cruise and accidently run into the rear of a GT-P!
well i'm insured, and only the first 1 applies to me...third party :( so hopefully any at fault accident i have doesnt leave my car too bad off.

RodP, thats bullshit. i always wodnered what would be the case if you rear ended someone, but they had no brake lights, and always thought i'd get "the crash probably broke them"....i feel sorry for ya mate, its bullshit because that car would be declared unroadworthy, so its insurance should be void.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #17
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That actually has happened to me. My one and only at fault accident while following a Camry. Head checked to change lanes, car infront broke and car infront had no brake lights. Looked forward and head checked again just as some ******** decided to race up the inside lane and cut into the position I was trying to get into. Looked forward again and it took just enough time to realise the car infront was braking hard with no brake lights.

BANG..

No-one cared about the fact that the car infront had no working brake lights, saying that the hit is probably what caused them now not to work... even though I hit in on the passenger rear quarter. Ontop of having the car stolen twice in 6 months, Rating 1 to 0 NCB in 1 year.
I have Always wondered about this.. Apparantly forensic can tell if the filiment was glowing when the bulb was broken during the accident

It is handy to know if you do a rearender to someone with out tail lights. Might help with your insurance to. I hope I never need to use this information!

Matt

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

its not hard, it will look all milky inside if the glass bulb was cracked and the globe was on, and if the glass hasnt cracked, the inside will be all black and there will be pieces of the filament stuck inside the bulb.........
Old 03-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
xrgran

We have always had insurance on our vehicles.. It's only common sense. And our children have been brought up with the same value's. It's respect for the things in life that you work for...respect for other peoples property, and a respect for human life.

It's no different to having a house and contents. You need to have insurance.

Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #20
XC_302

I Don't understand how people can say they can't afford insurance. I'm only 17, soo to be 18, and i drive an XC fairmont with a 302. Alot of insurance companies knocked me back coz of the V8 factor and alot coz i have 8" wheels on it. But eventually i got it with (i think, dad hooked me up with it, I'll correct it if i'm wrong) QBE and only paid $180 for 3rd party with a $400 excess. That's alot cheaper than my next door neighbour's Merc S-Class he leaves parked on the street for me to back into

Old 04-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #21
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_302
I Don't understand how people can say they can't afford insurance. I'm only 17, soo to be 18, and i drive an XC fairmont with a 302. Alot of insurance companies knocked me back coz of the V8 factor and alot coz i have 8" wheels on it. But eventually i got it with (i think, dad hooked me up with it, I'll correct it if i'm wrong) QBE and only paid $180 for 3rd party with a $400 excess. That's alot cheaper than my next door neighbour's Merc S-Class he leaves parked on the street for me to back into
would your insurance be cheaper living in ballarat ? my first year third party fire and theft was at least $450, and is only down to $400 second year on the tx5, stock!

if i list mods, which i will be doing rather soon, i'll be forced to go with just cars, and will be looking at $6-700
Old 05-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
would your insurance be cheaper living in ballarat ? my first year third party fire and theft was at least $450, and is only down to $400 second year on the tx5, stock!

if i list mods, which i will be doing rather soon, i'll be forced to go with just cars, and will be looking at $6-700
Mate insurance up here in Ballarat is a lot cheaper. For example In Ballarat for my EL i'm paying $700 a year with the RACV and the know about ALL the mods. In Melbourne, western subs, when I was living there it cost me about the $1400 - $1500 dollar mark from memory. So it is a lot better for us living up here.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM   #23
LSD

When I had my old POS Corona it wasn't worth taking out comprehensive insurance as the car wasn't worth squat. We still had 3rd party though so in the event of an accident the other driver/car would be covered. When I bought the 'mont though comprehensive was a must.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #24
EA2BA
PM me if you want

You forgot the option: - yes normally, but on occasion have driven without due to various reasons

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 05-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #25
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
You forgot the option: - yes normally, but on occasion have driven without due to various reasons
yeah thought of a few others like if you had a crash would you be covered(considering mods etc) but too late now.
wait for my next poll, when i reckon this ones run its course.... over 3000 veiws wow.
next one will be rego related or lisense? havent decided but it will be just as good i hope.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #26
billyb35

I have insurance if I have an accident and it's my fault, the other car gets fixed. TP Property?

My car is not insured for fire or theft because it's too expensive.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #27
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I have insurance if I have an accident and it's my fault, the other car gets fixed. TP Property?
Yep, that would be Third Party Property Damage.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #28
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

I had to use my insurance twice(only one at fault though)

I wouldn't drive if I didn't have it. Also insurance is a no-brainer for cars on finance.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #29
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

according to this poll, 3 out of every 20 on ff who admitted their insurance stats are uninsured, hope fully this thread has at least opened their eyes a little.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #30
Spaniard

Seriously, no one should be allowed on the road without some sort of insurance (other than the insurance that comes with rego).

I wouldn't think about driving without insurance.
Closed Thread