Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #151
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: E49 Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
I thought so too!
The Chargers were and are a beautiful car but it didn't reflect this on the race track. Most Ford fanatics know Ford at the time of the HO's were underquoting both power and acceleration times (as they still do now) and the Phase 3's were way quicker than what was on paper.
I love watching the old car races you you see on video/dvd and stuff that gets uploaded on the net. I really enjoy watching the GTHO phase III in just leaving everything for dead in a straight line at high speeds. the deserve the reputation they have. would of loved to see a Phase 4 XA race thou.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2014, 10:44 PM   #152
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Anyone done EFI and turbo on one of these 265s before? We all know how well the 4L I6 went with some extra help in the air department.
There are a few passionate 265 modifiers. Check this out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCOC3jKN_D4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3cx5aXPpYLg
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #153
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the old Centrua. haven't seen one in years.
Old 28-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #154
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Which E49 could do 140mph+? According to this article the blueprinted race track versions they could add an extra 1000rpm and get to 130mph which is quick, but you can't match the top end of a V8, even the article acknowledges the Phase 3's

It's a good read: http://www.chargerclubofwa.asn.au/me...asp?iMediaID=7
i was the one that typed that article out from the original magazine for the club site. I also provided all the information to make the option code decoder facility etc. for the club site too. Hell the club even made a perpetual trophy in my name :-) If you guys ever want to buy an R/T or Pacer too, I have all the original factory info on every car made including chassis number, engine number, options fitted to every car, original selling dealer etc. etc. And I can decode your Hemi engine number off the top of my head...... Yes, okay, I had problems.... :-)

AS for top speed, the Charger never had the top end legs of the HO, the Charger was all torque, the HO had the top end. And most tests saw the E49 quicker than the HO in acceleration but once wound out up top the HO always had more legs, no doubt about it. And so it should, 1.5 litres more engine for god sake, the 265 punched well about its weight, and unless you have driven a Weber fed 265 and feel it snorting and punching as you get on and off the gas in almost Euro 70s Supercar fashion, then you just will never understand the appeal. Aussie cast engine too, Aussie gearbox, Aussie diff... In reality it was the ONLY Australian Muscle Car while the rest had imported blocks, boxes and diffs...

Last edited by mcnews; 28-06-2014 at 11:38 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #155
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
i was the one that typed that article out from the original magazine for the club site. I also provided all the information to make the option code decoder facility etc. for the club site too. Hell the club even made a perpetual trophy in my name :-) If you guys ever want to buy an R/T or Pacer too, I have all the original factory info on every car made including chassis number, engine number, options fitted to every car, original selling dealer etc. etc. And I can decode your Hemi engine number off the top of my head...... Yes, okay, I had problems.... :-)
nothing wrong with that. just means your knowledgeable about the subject.
Old 29-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #156
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post

AS for top speed, the Charger never had the top end legs of the HO, the Charger was all torque, the HO had the top end. And most tests saw the E49 quicker than the HO in acceleration but once wound out up top the HO always had more legs, no doubt about it. And so it should, 1.5 litres more engine for god sake, the 265 punched well about its weight, and unless you have driven a Weber fed 265 and feel it snorting and punching as you get on and off the gas in almost Euro 70s Supercar fashion, then you just will never understand the appeal. Aussie cast engine too, Aussie gearbox, Aussie diff... In reality it was the ONLY Australian Muscle Car while the rest had imported blocks, boxes and diffs...
Do you often type up articles? I typed up a couple of articles once for a different subject and it took me a while, then I realised that my scanner can convert a scanned article or newspaper to text, you just scan the article and then use the software to convert it to text, it saves so much time, a few of the words might get converted incorrectly, but you just go through and proof read the converted to text to find the mispellings, it's usually only a few words.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #157
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I type quicker than I can fix the errors that conversion software makes. Probably about 70 words per minute.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #158
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought so too!
The Chargers were and are a beautiful car but it didn't reflect this on the race track. Most Ford fanatics know Ford at the time of the HO's were underquoting both power and acceleration times (as they still do now) and the Phase 3's were way quicker than what was on paper.
The reason I like these posts so much is the E49 never gets it's due.

When are people going top sit back and toast a fantastic Aussie engineered five seater sedan that happened to be adapted to go racing.The car was never designed to win Bathurst {of course they hoped it would** it was simply up specked from a sedan and used to target the youth Market .The car was so popular that it went from 20 a day in production to 80 over night.They were so popular there was a black market for them and 10 times more popular in NZ.

The charger compared to it's Rivals was for the most part a far better balanced car it was not a pig as I have been told by mechanics who have worked on phase 111's.

The charger or more specivically the E38/E49 had far more potential than anything to date in it's first year.Had the Charger been sorted with a four speed and chrysler actually thrown some money at it the Home growns would not have seen which way it went.Remember people the Chargers first year was raced using a 3 speed gearbox.Still the car won seven well known races.Remember and I'm telling you this car was so highly geared it would do 50 to 60 MPH ion first gear.Depending on how far into the red you pushed.Honestly how well do you think they would have got this thing off the line.As I have said in my previous posts the car broke lap record after lap record but come race day they couldn't get the bloody thing off the line with getting swamped.

Chargers were terribly set up from all reports simply because they had no real development and clear tuning specs were not carried over from the pacers.The tyres of the day caused so much over steer that if the tread was not buffed back the car handled terribly simply because the tyre technology was lagging far behind the charger.

Have to remember we are talking about 70's and this country and racing at the time was pretty free and all sorts of things were used in the day.

If you believe half of what you read the Kiwi's far out shone their Aussie counter parts and were far more successful at finding that suspension tuning sweet spot.So successful at tuning Chargers was Leo Leoanard that he and others out qualified Moffits GT HO and a number of occasions and from all reports Leo made Moffit and his GT look pretty Amateurish when in fact the opposite was the case.

One of the main reasons I have learned was the moffit raced with billstien suspens {memory** in Australia.This I assume was allowed in Series production but not sure if it is legal.Certainly the chargers were not raced with this suspension and once in NZ he found out that the Kiwi's do not allow racers to use anything other than what was available off the parts list and over the counter.This from memory was one of the reason that Moffit got his back side handed to him not only in as I said above in Qually but also during the race.Moffit was said to have been so upset at the whooping his GT got that he asked for and was given a grudge match race with his Bilstien suspension and promptly beat the Leonard charger but this is hardly a fair fight.

Furthermore the more bickering that goes on the further from the truth we get concerning the E49.

While posters are BSing here and there about the top speed of the charger the fact is the Chivas car was reported on the day at being clocked at 144 MPH.This was in the wet and by a six cylinder car that was not set up for touring.It would have been way faster with a taller diff.

Just remember this weeks prior to Bathurst ford was hunkered down trying to find out why the mighty falcon was blowing 351 motors hand over fist.The way I understand it {correct me if I'm wrong** the 351's had a rev limiter the 265 did not.More 351's broke at bathurst than 265's.That is fact.

So sit back people and give a little respect to the Aussies of the day that dared to attempt to conker the mountain first time out against a factory GT Icon that had 4 to five years of development under it's belt.

While we are all crapping on, the charger thrived in a world that was not all power.Series production was the adaption of road cars to racing the early days were saw cars racing with street treaded tyres.It wasn't all power that won the day.

So while the E49 was the second gen it was never really developed in the day.Before the E49 hit the streets a motoring writer of the day quashed any hope of Chrysler and the others spending any real money on it.

A lot have said this was what killed the E49's big chance at Bathurst when the difference between out right 3rd and victory was cold wheel nuts and wheels locking on red hot wheels studs.Which was simply not tested in racing conditions.The mechanic and driver of the day admitted this to me 30 years latter.

In any case the facts if you care to check the chargers history is they beat plenty of dealer backed and factory supported GT HO'S just not the one and only one that beat it on the day.That's right in 1972 The Chivas and Beck E49 beat a gaggle of GT HO's that is fact no amount of chest beating can take that away,It just got beaten the one that counted.
The chivas Beck Charger was a privately bought E49 prepared for racing at a privately owned business and raced from start to finish by a man well into his fifties on the day.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #159
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Doesn't mean much here in Oz though.
I recon it does when you find out the Chargers were so competitive in the day in NZ that they could not give the Ho's away.That everything said about the chargers in Australia is proven to be utter dribble by anyone who claimed to know.When the facts show the Chargers race record is not only superior to it's rivals in New Zealand but shows how inferior they were when raced in a stricter more policed production based category.

Actually love the look on peoples faces When they find out that Moffits all concurring GT got sent home with it's tail between it's legs basically because it simply was not good enough up against the Chargers of the day and you have to kinda wonder why.

Last edited by KW XRT; 29-06-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 30-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #160
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turning the clock back.40 years

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps17dddf0f.jpg

Last edited by KW XRT; 30-06-2014 at 12:50 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #161
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in there day if you owned the whole lot of them, Monaro GTS350, XU-1, Charger E49, XY GT-HO one would have an opinion pointing out each of there weakness and strengths.
They were not racing cars they were road cars, now what car will i take for a fast long drive Sydney to Melborn say or what if it's just a quick fang on a tight road ect.

Valiant's had a history in australia as a fast 6 cyl car right from the first SV1 ford cyl were gutless, as were the the holdens, bar XU-1.
Valiant V8's are not worth talking about.
So as far as the average joe majority were borught up on 6 cyl and everyone knew valiant 6 cyl go well but handleing was crap.
Valiant's were a car ahead of there time in the begining with the SV1 but by VH came along they did not have anything but that hemi 6 cyl going for it and the Charger.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #162
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
Back in there day if you owned the whole lot of them, Monaro GTS350, XU-1, Charger E49, XY GT-HO one would have an opinion pointing out each of there weakness and strengths.
They were not racing cars they were road cars, now what car will i take for a fast long drive Sydney to Melborn say or what if it's just a quick fang on a tight road ect.

Valiant's had a history in australia as a fast 6 cyl car right from the first SV1 ford cyl were gutless, as were the the holdens, bar XU-1.
Valiant V8's are not worth talking about.
So as far as the average joe majority were borught up on 6 cyl and everyone knew valiant 6 cyl go well but handleing was crap.
Valiant's were a car ahead of there time in the begining with the SV1 but by VH came along they did not have anything but that hemi 6 cyl going for it and the Charger.
The E55 Charger was as fast as a HT/HG 350 or standard XW/XY GT, and faster than a LC or LJ XU1.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #163
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290 View Post
The E55 Charger was as fast as a HT/HG 350 or standard XW/XY GT, and faster than a LC or LJ XU1.
True.
If Chrysler got their act together and spent some time on the E55 Charger, (R&D and maybe even a 6 Pack Carburetors, like the RT Chargers in the US). It would have taken the crown away from Fords XY Phase 3 as the Fastest Production Car of that era.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #164
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee everyone's gone quiet.

If you read they above race description of the race at Oran Park in 72.

Leo Geogheon gets held up for seven laps by a torana when he eventually gets past and chases John Goss who has a 5 second lead.

Geoggheon has to deal with a 5 second lead and brakes the lap record a number of times chasing him down and only to be denied a well deserved race win by Goss repeatedly swerving and blocking action and maneuvers his falcon from side to side for the rest of the race.

If you believe the know it alls out there this could not be possible as the Charger is not a V8 does not handle and has suspect brakes.lol

Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #165
mcnews
Trev

Everything back then had suspect brakes, lol, but on the track lots of asbestos in the pads back then could work miracles :-) But there is no doubt that back in the day the drivers had to drive around the lack of brakes and nurse them to the finish line.

Last edited by mcnews; 01-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #166
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW XRT View Post
Gee everyone's gone quiet.

If you read they above race description of the race at Oran Park in 72.

Leo Geogheon gets held up for seven laps by a torana when he eventually gets past and chases John Goss who has a 5 second lead.

Geoggheon has to deal with a 5 second lead and brakes the lap record a number of times chasing him down and only to be denied a well deserved race win by Goss repeatedly swerving and blocking action and maneuvers his falcon from side to side for the rest of the race.

If you believe the know it alls out there this could not be possible as the Charger is not a V8 does not handle and has suspect brakes.lol
Moffat`s XY beat the Charger by six seconds per lap at Bathurst, buts thats just one race like that article I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QdnpRT-pY
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #167
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its good to have someone flying the Charger flag

Im a Ford man for life. But I've owned a charger for the last 27 years and I'll prob own it for the next 27 as well. (Both it and the GTF will look good parked together.) I was 17 and at uni when a mate picked me up in it. I was hooked before he grabbed 2 gear. 3 years later it was mine. IMO anyone who knocks them prob hasn't been in one. I still get the old hey charger 2 finger salute ✌️ (in a good way)when I bring the old girl out, even from teenagers.

If only Chargers had of won the Holy Grail (Bathurst) then the masses may look at them differently. I think most people should take off their Brand coloured glasses and admire our hot cars for what they are. Bl00dy hot cars that went bl00dy fast. Some around corners and some in a straight line. They all just had a bit of trouble stopping. A sign of the times I suppose. I wonder if we will get the same enjoyment when we are driving our solar powered wheel chairs around.

Now historians Is there any truth in the rumor that peter perfect use to run webers instead of strombergs on his 6cyl?

Last edited by hootar; 09-08-2014 at 10:00 PM.
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #168
4stanger