Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #151
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i recall correctly the fg xt was given the big thumbs up when first released for having more improvement than any other car in the range, as for not having 5 stars on some models due to optional curtain air bags that is entirely up to the consumer whether they want to spend a little more on a option to make the car heavier allbeit slightly safer.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 01:14 AM   #152
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe they bagged the TR6060:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
it was frequently negated, in that car's case by a slow and heavy clutch and gearbox
You have got to be kidding me... I found the clutch in the TR6060 equipped GT to be ridiculously light (significantly lighter than the B-Series T56 which is by no means heavy either). Have the journalists got the leg strength of an 80 y/o crippled with arthritis?

Have I read this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
0-100km/h 5.4 (F6 Man); 5.4 (GT auto)
They still critise the V8 for being slow even though it's line ball with the F6?
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #153
MrRhino
Starter Motor

guys who really cares? big deal ford didn't win found to have inferior product. its wheels magazine. what if ford did win? they going to advertise it? don't think so. Look at the bigger picture who really cares about coty? all it is is bragging rights.
MrRhino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #154
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Obviously people didn't understand my comments.

When I said childish and immature comments I was taking a swipe at the people who claim without any concrete evidence that Wheels are biased against Ford (not remembering who won 2002 and 2004 COTY) and their journalists don't know squat, etc, etc.

The Falcon dynamically is only on par with the VE, forget the interior and the V6.

To be honest I think this will be my last post in this thread, there is no point with you lot. Any kind of criticism towards a Ford product, whether it is constructive or not is met with contempt. I like the Falcon (I have owned a BA, XT and BF XR8 and now a Focus), the G6ET and XR6T is what the Falcon should be and better (if they go further). The Territory is a hit and miss, the diesel is what is needed for that market and typically Ford dragged their heels and missed the boat.

Anyway I still think if only the G6ET was entered in WCOTY then it deserved to win, the others don't.

You guys keep your head in the clouds and the blinkers on, believing the Falcon is the best car ever and nothing can touch it, that it never needs improvement to match the imports or to be considered for export. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Thanks for the laughs.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #155
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve

Wheels has previously stated the FG is the superior vehicle to the VE in most models. Wheels says nothing to back up your comment. The worst thing they say is that FG has failed to land a knockout blow on VE.

All this means is that the gap between fg and ve isn't great enough to redefine the family car market (as per BA over VY, magna, avalon, camry etc).

I think we can all admit that FORD AUS needs to lift it's quality compared to Many other makers (especially Honda.Mazda.toyota.VW etc)

The nose heavy argument against the V8's is foolish. If all that mattered was dynamics and straightline then convertible versions of sedans/coupes should not be in the battle either (goodbye BMW 1 series) and stupid insipid fake 4WD's (whoops, SUV's) goodbye tiguan. And if a car can be bested by something half the price then it should go too..Goodbye A4.

My final 4...

Falcon
Accord Euro
Mazda 6
Honda JAzz
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #156
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Don't buy Wheels Trash azine.

Ever.

Its rubbish.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #157
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Obviously people didn't understand my comments.

When I said childish and immature comments I was taking a swipe at the people who claim without any concrete evidence that Wheels are biased against Ford (not remembering who won 2002 and 2004 COTY) and their journalists don't know squat, etc, etc.

The Falcon dynamically is only on par with the VE, forget the interior and the V6.

To be honest I think this will be my last post in this thread, there is no point with you lot. Any kind of criticism towards a Ford product, whether it is constructive or not is met with contempt. I like the Falcon (I have owned a BA, XT and BF XR8 and now a Focus), the G6ET and XR6T is what the Falcon should be and better (if they go further). The Territory is a hit and miss, the diesel is what is needed for that market and typically Ford dragged their heels and missed the boat.

Anyway I still think if only the G6ET was entered in WCOTY then it deserved to win, the others don't.

You guys keep your head in the clouds and the blinkers on, believing the Falcon is the best car ever and nothing can touch it, that it never needs improvement to match the imports or to be considered for export. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Thanks for the laughs.
Troll? people are pointing out inconsistencies in the judging, not saying FG is perfect

wheels = crap always has, always will

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #158
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

No one has said the FG is perfect and even on the update, still will not be.

You (Wretched in particular) have to understand that this is 'Aust Ford Forums'. The site comprises mainly 2 types that visit here ......

1: Those that drive/own a FORD and are swingers
2: Those that are a FORD enthusiest/biased/brand loyal

I am of the second group and find nothing wrong with that even though many here do? It is now politically incorrect to enjoy one brand? Have owned Fords for 30 plus years and have owned every model new since XD. I havn't had a problem and the longer my association with the brand, the more I will not change ....... except when AU Forte came out and I bought a Magna instead ..... but in the end sold it for a AU Fairmont ghia (best car I have owned) AU XR 6 and a AU Windsor ute which I still have. I have about 7 cars at the moment .... all Fords ..... but apparently thats not a good thing? I should own other brands because some are marginally better in some respect?

Of course it is upsetting when Ford bring out a car that has been regarded by the media as "Not only the Best Ford ever produced ..... but possibly the BEST car produced in Australia" and because of some very minor nit picking ..... across the entire range ..... its get knocked off by a 1 model car that is regarded as 'transport'.

Too many on the site, especially when the FG was released have bagged it and FORD very unfairley. Some of it is fair enough but most has been just weird! I prefer to look at things 1/2 full while many sees it as 1/2 empty.

When journalist pick the fact that the boot is not flat ..... is that a problem? They still have 2 rear seats that fold flat .... check what Holden offer and fit a surf board in there!

I like to follow the V8's and thus FORD .... bit like footy! There's the fans that spit on their team when they go bad ... (sorry to some Richmond supporters) and theres others that will still back them because they know that things turn around.

I will have a * about them when they arent doing the right thing but when they do and people ..... on sites predominatley set up for FORD enthusiests .... still carry on about how bad they are because the cup holder isnt big enough, there are mutiple sites (AussieV8's) where you can talk about all cars equally.

ALL I am saying is ...... there will be and always will be some bias on this site. Accept it or move on.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #159
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau

You (Wretched in particular) have to understand that this is 'Aust Ford Forums'. The site comprises mainly 2 types that visit here ......

I am of the second group and find nothing wrong with that even though many here do? It is now politically incorrect to enjoy one brand? Have owned Fords for 30 plus years and have owned every model new since XD. I havn't had a problem and the longer my association with the brand, the more I will not change ....... except when AU Forte came out and I bought a Magna instead ..... but in the end sold it for a AU Fairmont ghia (best car I have owned) AU XR 6 and a AU Windsor ute which I still have. I have about 7 cars at the moment .... all Fords ..... but apparently thats not a good thing? I should own other brands because some are marginally better in some respect?

Of course it is upsetting when Ford bring out a car that has been regarded by the media as "Not only the Best Ford ever produced ..... but possibly the BEST car produced in Australia" and because of some very minor nit picking ..... across the entire range ..... its get knocked off by a 1 model car that is regarded as 'transport'.

Too many on the site, especially when the FG was released have bagged it and FORD very unfairley. Some of it is fair enough but most has been just weird! I prefer to look at things 1/2 full while many sees it as 1/2 empty.

When journalist pick the fact that the boot is not flat ..... is that a problem? They still have 2 rear seats that fold flat .... check what Holden offer and fit a surf board in there!

I like to follow the V8's and thus FORD .... bit like footy! There's the fans that spit on their team when they go bad ... (sorry to some Richmond supporters) and theres others that will still back them because they know that things turn around.

I will have a * about them when they arent doing the right thing but when they do and people ..... on sites predominatley set up for FORD enthusiests .... still carry on about how bad they are because the cup holder isnt big enough, there are mutiple sites (AussieV8's) where you can talk about all cars equally.

ALL I am saying is ...... there will be and always will be some bias on this site. Accept it or move on.
Nice post.
Old 25-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #160
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Great post mate. Sums up the views of many on here no doubt.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #161
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Could it be that they think "Australia,s BEST" is not up to it, regardless of whether it is a Ford or not...... ;)

Just a thought.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #162
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
What do Ford do? They introduce a car that is on par with the VE on average not wanting to completely better it. If Ford don't want to do it properly then why bother in the first place?
Words cannot describe how ignorant and delusional you are.

Wheels Magazine, where the 'Best Australian Car ever made', is not good enough for Australian Car of The Year 2008.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #163
Matt P
No Boundries

I think time will always tell remembering some of wheel previous picks that at the time they thaught they were right but how wrong the were. VN comm TM mag holden camira all these pieces of mototing briliance have won wheels car of the year. I have not driven an accord euro so I cant comment but I sold my ba2 turbo for a fg and I don't regret it one bit I highly doubt the euro can get 9.1 liters to the hundred with cruise ste on 119km/h from Sydney to Canberra. I also doubt when I mash the accel pedal in an accord it will lay waste to any other stock 4 door under $100,000, really guys we don't need a car mag to tell us what we like, if they think the honda is better good luck to them I know what i would prefer to drive.
Matt P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #164
SilverG6ET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt P
I think time will always tell remembering some of wheel previous picks that at the time they thaught they were right but how wrong the were. VN comm TM mag holden camira all these pieces of mototing briliance have won wheels car of the year. I have not driven an accord euro so I cant comment but I sold my ba2 turbo for a fg and I don't regret it one bit I highly doubt the euro can get 9.1 liters to the hundred with cruise ste on 119km/h from Sydney to Canberra. I also doubt when I mash the accel pedal in an accord it will lay waste to any other stock 4 door under $100,000, really guys we don't need a car mag to tell us what we like, if they think the honda is better good luck to them I know what i would prefer to drive.
Good post, well said!!
Old 25-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #165
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Is there some FordForums event that I'm not aware of? : :
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #166
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Matt P
The accord Euro will easily match those economy figures (9.1 is only about 30mpg - exceptional for a big six but not too hard for 2.4 litre ULEV honda engines to acheive)

The Accord V6 (205kw) will match those economy figures and match the performance. My uncle has one and from Brisbane to sydney we got and average of 6.9l/100km. Unbelievable on highway with proper DOD. a/con blasting, loaded with luggage, 110kph most of the way.

FG is better than VE or any other Aussie car but in the world, it is more than possible that with all of Honda Inc.'s considerable resources (they spent more in F1 in the past 5 years than ford did on the falcon) that they too can produce an excellent vehicle.

I'd still prefer the Ford, but if we make uninformed comments then we lose a vital platform for criticizing others who whose decision making we consider to be ill-informed.

Last edited by ehast13; 25-01-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 25-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #167
Withnail

but man that Honda is ugly.

uuuugly
Withnail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 03:18 AM   #168
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If you look at the lists that Wheels pick these cars seem to be lemons or just full of issues.
VT, VN, BA, Territory, etc

So look at this as a positive the FG will be a good reliable car.
Old 26-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #169
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
ROFLMAO
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #170
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

For those who consider the Accord Euro a boring accountants car, akin to a camry......have you ever been in one, or driven one?

Whilt the Falcon has been badly treated, the dimissal of the Euro appears to be based on lack of any knowledge of the car, or based on old models, or the old Accord (not Euro) models.

And Wheels has never been an enthusiasts mag, but a general car mag for the broad base of people looking for a new car. Motor is more aimed at enthusiasts
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #171
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
For those who consider the Accord Euro a boring accountants car, akin to a camry......have you ever been in one, or driven one?

Whilt the Falcon has been badly treated, the dimissal of the Euro appears to be based on lack of any knowledge of the car, or based on old models, or the old Accord (not Euro) models.
Good, intelligent post. Accord euros are fine cars.

But wait its Japanese so it must be bad...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #172
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

[/b]
This sums it up perfectly. The fact they didn't even include it in the final 4 due to some very minor quibbles is what makes this so hard to swallow. If it had made the final 4 and not won I think most people could have dealt with that, but to exclude it from the final due to these minor issues is nothing short of a joke. It seemed like they enjoyed dissing the FG.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #173
Matt P
No Boundries

Ehast 13 I doubt the accord v6 will run with my 270kw turbo thats not ill inform thats just common sense. At 120km/h that honda engine is working alot harder than a 4.0 litre six from Syney to Canberra there are a few big hills on that run I doubt it will pull those fuel figures on that run. Mine has also only done 5000km so it is still freeing up it will hold its own against the Euro.
Old 26-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #174
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The winner was an Accord Euro. Not the Accord V6. Different car
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #175
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
If you happen to a mods BBQ, my only advise is ..... Keep your keys in your pocket! ;)

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #176
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry meant 195kw (similar price to accord)
Old 26-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #177
Matt P
No Boundries

Accord euro is 148 kw and only a 2.4 ltr
Old 26-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #178
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Some info on the euro

http://euro.honda.com.au/about-the-c...-handling.aspx

http://carshowroom.autotrader.com.au...64326120090101

So the car has a 4 star safety rating and and ADR fuel usage of 8.9l/100.
Also if I remember correctly I think Honda spent $2 billion on this model.
Old 27-01-2009, 12:05 AM   #179
Chilla

Regardless of magazine comments, Coty awards or whatever, in the next few years with the financial situation what it is and the ozzie dollar worth US 0.66c + or -, any one who buys an imported vehicle has more money than sense. We all know a home grown 6 cylinder Ford, serviced correctly, treated with respect, is good for 500,000 kms +. To do that mileage in most of your small, over engineered imports, you would need to have deep pockets indeed. I would much rather take a 1000km trip in my AU VCT/IRS Fairmont Ghia than any of the Wheels nominated Coty finalists, for this year.
I know I would arrive in a relaxed state, cossetted along in the best vehicle I have EVER owned. I started as an apprentice mechanic in 1956. I guess over the years I have worked on most brands of vehicles. Non have ever been 'perfect' but with all their faults, if any, the latest Ford sixes have my vote for all-round solid value.
Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #180
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

I have never given a hang what "wheels" magazine thinks is the "car of the year" I go out I research and I choose my car, Wheels' decision has never once swayed my decision on buying a car, why should it now? You know the saying - opinions are like aholes everybody's got one and they all stink.

Sorry wheels mag but I just don't gaf.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post