Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #151
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I didn't say the rest of the car was any good, just the seats. But I see you already agree, ha ha ha. You forgot to mention the fuel gauge readout that had no relevance to the amount of fuel left in the tank too............
Isn't that a feature of just about every Falcon?

The BA that we had as a 'pool car' at work would run out when the DTE read 70kms. Several guys got caught out by that one but it made for funny reading on intermal email.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #152
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Isn't that a feature of just about every Falcon?
Where the second the fuel gauge drops just below the halfway mark, it means you have 1/3 of a useable tank left.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #153
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit that I have had me EL down to 2km to empty, must have rolled up to the bowser on fumes, lol. Makes for nervous acceleration.......
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #154
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

That all been said, I have through bad planning had to drive the Super Pursuit for 15km with the DTE on 0, filled it up and only put in 71L, it is a 75L tank,
Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #155
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I ran my BA on 0 DTE in heavy traffic. was worried but no issues. So I had trust in it.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #156
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
When you remove the emotional factor from a purchase (Heavy equipment vs private vehicle) it makes it a lot harder to make the sale, I reckon your boys would deserve their pay packet.

Nope, there is still a few with an emotional connection with heavy equipment. But there is definately a differnce between private and commercial sales.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #157
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Nope, there is still a few with an emotional connection with heavy equipment. But there is definately a differnce between private and commercial sales.
The only emotional connection i have with heavy equipment is usually hatred - spent a lot of time on Toro u/g equipment...
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
mongoloid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #158
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
The only emotional connection i have with heavy equipment is usually hatred - spent a lot of time on Toro u/g equipment...

Toro

See, hatred is an emotion.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #159
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I ran my BA on 0 DTE in heavy traffic. was worried but no issues. So I had trust in it.

I have run my BAII XR6T for 40-odd kms on 0km DTE many a time...Have only run out once..

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #160
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

this turn from a salesman thread to a DTE thread?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #161
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had several experiences with car salesmen making mistakes. The mest recent is I was looking for a Focus XR5 Turbo and was calling around a few dealerships to find out what they had. I called the dealer who I bought the Falcon from and got the servicing done through and I was fobbed off by the salesman saying the colour I wanted (Performance Blue without stripes) was not available. So I went to another dealer and bought the car.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #162
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I love reading these threads. They are entertaining.

I'm a car salesman (but only for the next two weeks until a new job.) and pride myself in my product knowledge and respecting those who seem to know a little more than me.

Being a Toyota sales person, you have to have sound knowledge of a massive range of cars which is not always easy, but I will always be quick to pipe up with "Well, I don't know, but hang on, I will find out."

From my perspective though, I hate when someone walks on the yard and tells me something about the car that is in fact false and won't accept my advice to the contrary.
Old 19-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #163
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
hang on, I will find out."

From my perspective though, I hate when someone walks on the yard and tells me something about the car that is in fact false and won't accept my advice to the contrary.
im a pc tech mate. i get the same thing... i think y do people come looking for us to tell us we're wrong. we're here to help.. if you dont want it dont come and see us
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #164
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Havn't you heard the saying boys "i'm not always right but i'm never wrong"

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #165
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got offered a job at a ford yard a couple weeks back... was looking at a GT, i rattled off the stats of the BA vs the BF im looking at getting now.... the guy obviously was just a weekend filler, smokin and eating leaning on a flag pole next to the GT while me and my mate looked it over, he was just stunned... i asked him what the KW was, he couldn't tell me, Gear box, he couldnt tell me, the build number, he couldnt tell me :P
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #166
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I sell ag machinery and it's a bit the same, still some emotional connection but as you say completly different selling to the corporates.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #167
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
I have not had the stupidity some of you have experienced. Had a good experience with Paul Khoury at Europcars looking at an Audi A8 V8 Quattro - nice guy not pushy happy for me to drive the car etc... I didnt choose to drive it, I could tell by looking it was damn nice. Car was 4 years old, near $180k new, could have bought it sub $50k only 59,000k on clock.
He followed up and left me alone when I said I would not go ahead.
He was less anxious than me about my kids playing next to the $400,000 ferrari.

In Dubbo ford dealership the sales guy sees me looking at an F6 - I knew the car. He asks if I want to drive it, I reply, well yeah, I would like to drive it, but I wont be buying it, so I wont waste your time. He didnt know what to say to that.

When I bought the XR6T I rang the Narromine ford dealer and explain what I want and what I would pay. Without meeting me in person, and without me signing anything he buys the car from auction and has it trucked to Narromine. That was pretty good IMO.
Good old Rob, he's a top bloke!
Old 20-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #168
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

When I went for a drive of a G6E Turbo with Swordsman late last year at a Brissy dealership and before we got into the car the dealer told us to be careful cos the car was 'really powerful because it had the old 270kW BF F6 Typhoon engine'...I struggled not to laugh. I can see how this assumption may be a common problem with the general public but I wish the dealers would do some research or at least understand their product a bit better...
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #169
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Salespersons, nothing wrong with saying "hang on I will check". In fact in my line of work we really need to triple check, even though we are confident we know the answer (law). No one can know everything on the tops of their heads, but fudging an answer, there is no excuse. I have read some consumer law cases where misrepresententations, both deliberate and negligent have actually reversed car sales. Breach of contract based on misrepresentation, it exists. Not sure how "this VE is just like an Audi" would stack up though, a bit of subjectivity there.

Salesperson stories - Early 90's, Dad ordered a Euro van which was uber money back then for a people mover. Ordered ducted air, but got charged for standard. About $3k difference. When the sale completed it was with another sales person. Dad asked about the original one, "he doesn't work here anymore". D'oh.

Fords though, I went to a prominent Ford dealer in Australia's smallest territory - on a quiet Thurs, mid morning, in business clothes. Asked about the BA XR6 and was told to look it up on the net before the 'sales' people went back to chatting and laughing about something in the paper. Leaving me standing there.

Ended up ordering it via a fleet buyer and they ended up delivering it anyway (despite my request for someone else). They only got $700 for their 'trouble', which in terms of the delivery to me (I know they did all the rego etc) amounted to pointing at it and handing me the keys. Nice. The only thing that sold the car, was the vehicle itself, and no I never got to drive an XR. Just had to imagine based on an XT work car.

Mini (BMW), Hyundai, Subaru, and even 2nd hand dealers left that dealer for dead. hence why I now have a passion for older Fords I maintain myself, and get my newer cars elsewhere. (Ford service at 4 other dealers in 2 other states was just as bad unfortunately until I simply gave up and got it serviced at an independent and to hell with how good the Ford stamps look in the logbook for resale).

Don't even get me started on the Mini delivery 'event' though. After a comprehensive briefing (lunch provided), it culminated in a red carpeted room, pedestal board with my name and car announced, music playing and an electronically removed silk cover like they have at car shows. Spectacular!

Last edited by Pinch; 20-03-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #170
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Don't even get me started on the Mini delivery 'event'. After a comprehensive briefing (lunch provided), it culminated in a red carpeted room, pedestal board with my name and car announced, music playing and an electronically removed silk cover like they have at car shows. Spectacular!
I'd hope they do something lardi dar for the amount they charge for what little your getting...... what are they $50,000??

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #171
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
I'd hope they do something lardi dar for the amount they charge for what little your getting...... what are they $50,000??
Yeah, expensive for a 'small car', but in reality it is nothing like an econo hatch - except it just as easy to park.

I accept that this type of stuff doesn't come for free, that its all loaded in, but the amount of innovation and intelligence in the design (all the little things!) are simply astounding. That costs too. I just can't list them all. I have had the Mini for over a year and still finding nice little tricks that I think 'how clever'. That and it is just a hoot to drive, and always puts a smile on your dial - no matter the mood. Simply fantastic feel-good motoring. For us enthusiasts A-B are simply sides of old LP's!

Didn't pay quite that much, but a bit more than I paid for my loaded BA XR I traded in.

Ok, the Mini(BMW) was a bit of an irregularity, but seriously Hyundai and Subaru were polite, interested, allowed actual (and decent) test drives, took the time to explain the vehicle at delivery and provided follow up. No it wasn't an expensive Hyundai either, or Subie for that matter. I bought an EF Futura 2nd hand once from a 2nd hand dealer in Penrith and they were fantastic. Went through it all with me, good test drive, and pretty fantastic after sales service. Couldn't have been much of a markup in that case, but they still were professional and took an interest. Effort doesn't always cost.
Old 20-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #172
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

When I bought my BF wagon I was about to take it for a test drive but I asked the salesman to pop the bonnet first cause I wanted to see the condition of the engine bay. Lucky I did cause the power steering cap was missing. He ran off to get another and we took it for a drive and all was well.

But imagine not checking the car when I rang them and told them I was coming down for a second look.
Old 21-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #173
bigdragon
Starter Motor

Lots of laughs and lots of memories going through this thread. I worked as a car salesman for about 18 months. Let me tell you: It ain't just the salesforce who can be stupid - so can the customers. Even 5 or more years later I still remember this customer that came in one lunch and said:

"Look, I just want a car. I've got cash, I need a 4 cylinder air and steer. And I don't want to be stuffed around." Great! I think and show her some cars. She likes the look of a low mileage Excel GX with the balance of its new car warranty. I say "Excellent, very popular model and GX's are a bit more convenient with power windows and nicer trim. Let me just get the keys so you can test drive it."

"I don't have time for a test drive."

OK so on it went. This lady did not want a test drive and was going to walk out the door if I didn't oblige her. So I said "If you're really sure."
"Yes. A car's a car." she replies with lovely attitude.

So I sell her the car. She comes in a week later and complains that it's too noisy! Well gee, what'da'ya think test drives are for.

Before we all say Hyundai drivers, etc (never EVER had a Hyundai back for warranty repairs in 18 months) I also sold a Ford to this cretin bloke who started at one end of the yard on a Saturday morning and told the first salesman 'No thanks, just looking". The second salesman "I'm right mate", the third salesman "Leave me alone! and told me to "F off! How come I can't be left alone on a *(*&&(*^%! Yard?"

I told him to get stuffed. If he wanted to be alone on a yard come before 8am or after 6pm and the place will be deserted - look all you want mate. I then calmed down a bit a said that the yard is like a mountain of ***** one on top of the other all the way up to the dealer principal. "So as one areshole to another do you need any help?"

Got a good laugh out of him and sold him a car which he also didn't test drive (Hey it's only 2 in 18 months - honest 'guvnor). Lesson to buyer's - don't get emotional; there's plenty of cars and caryards to go around.

Of course there were a heap of mad and bad salespeople and truckload of lazy one's too. But I made some great mates in the very large yard that I worked at. But selling is easy if you don't mind standing in the sun after being told to off a hundred times a day. If you don't mind that then it's a great job (lots of crazy beer incentives because management think that you're an idiot who wouldn't be motivated enough to do their job for money (which *can* be great - but often isn't).
bigdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #174
Trendseeker

Can anyone tell me why the salesman always has to check their little card in their top pocket when you ask them for the price of one of their new cars? There aren't that many models and if that's all they sell, you would think they would remember them. It seems like some little ploy, but I have no idea what effect it is supposed to have.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #175
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

I have come across some knob headed salesman, who I would never buy a car off. I have also come across some great salesman, one who I have gone back and bought 3 further cars off.

In my opinion it's pretty easy. I know cars and details about them pretty well as I guess most forum folks are. The moment a salesman starts talking crap, I say thanks and leave the yards, he is wasting my time.

I am pretty straight up on what I am after, how much I want to spend and I also think I am pretty realistic on what my trade in is worth. If a deal can be done, great, if it cant I will keep looking around for what is in my range.

One guy I remember last year, Ford dealership, outer Western Sydney, used car section. Now I am not a small bloke, 6'2 and 120 kg's. The first thing this used car salesman says to me was "I didn't know they made FPR shirts that big" Well that got me offside pretty much straight away, more so considering he was not a small man himself. I mention I was looking at a XR6T for the wife, As he did not have any turbo's on the lot, so he said why buy a Turbo, when the XR6 is exactly the same. I mentioned to him that the XT and XR6 share the same engine, gearbox and the XR6T had a turbo, which produced more KW's. Well he basically told me I knew sweet FA and told me not to waste his time.

We ended up buying our turbo at the yard next door with good k's, right price and a really nice salesman. In fact I bought my 2nd car a Honda Civic off the same guy, about 20 years ago.

As I said I don't waste time with salesman who talk crap , but I am also polite and will continue to give service to those who are polite, don't talk crap and who I see are honest enough.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #176
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
im a pc tech mate. i get the same thing... i think y do people come looking for us to tell us we're wrong. we're here to help.. if you dont want it dont come and see us
Lucky you’re a PC tech and not an English teacher.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #177
azaxr8

Yes, lucky that? get over it.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #178
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

I just like walking in and knowing more about the factory and dealer fitted options than the salesman and having the mechanics coming out and confirming i'm right ... so should have bought the FG R6 over the crewman really ... excluding finances lol
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #179
FPV_XR8
BF MK2 XR8

A guy I new had a 2003 BA XR8.... Bought it from Centreford in perth for $39,000 and it only had 18000kms on the clock.... The same guy ended up selling it back to Centreford a year and a bit later as he was desperate to get rid of it, by this stage it had 23,000kms..... Centreford ripped him off by giving him $27,000.....Car was then advertised the next day for $39,500. Oh yeah, it took them 2 weeks to give him his money for it too.
FPV_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #180
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Quote:
Even speaking to some car dealer mates they insist that everyone can be sold
These are the types of guys that give car salesmen a bad name.

They are also the reason this thread started.

A bit like some real estate sales people.

Some really professional ones but mostly people who are unqualified to do anything else and they become "instant experts" often underestimating the buyer.

The lesson for all sales pople is "respect your buyer and LISTEN to the buyers questions".
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post