Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #151
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Default Re: Falcon Ecoboost sales breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I don't understand, the EcoBoost engine is Euro V compliant out of the box, how come when fitted to the Falcon it's suddenly not?

Is that another case of dumb Australian regulations that require manufacturers to test for the same thing already tested and certified overseas? (e.g. how importers have to test crash cars here even if the car was already certified in USA, EU, Japan, ets ...)

Did I read somewhere that the Falcon version runs a higher boost than the Mondeo version? If so, would this likely have an effect on emissions with the higher combustion temperatures?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #152
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by morak001
Did I read somewhere that the Falcon version runs a higher boost than the Mondeo version? If so, would this likely have an effect on emissions with the higher combustion temperatures?
There are two2.0 EB Mondeo power levels but FoA only imports the lower powered versions.
Coupled with the slightly larger interior of the 2013 Fusion, the 2.0 EB in the coming Mondeo
could be very interesting indeed..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #153
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Probably does, but the higher power version is also used in Focus ST, Explorer, Euro market Mondeos and others, which all have to be Euro 5 or higher spec.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #154
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shipping a vehicle over the ocean contributes very little pollution.
I think you'd probably find the amount of carbon emitted to ship a car from Japan to Australia, would be less than it is to ship it from the docks to the dealer.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #155
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*conspiracy theory cap on*
One gets the distinct impression Ford Australia had no interest in meeting the emmision requirements. I wonder if this was a deliberate decision. This may well well have suited Ford US plan to shut down production by killing off the Falcon.

Ford Aus issue atm is the amount of publicity the issue of the Ecoboost Falcon not reaching a high enough emmision score. I wonder how long before the Federal Government starts asking questions of Ford e.g. when will FoA send a Falcon overseas for testing to certify Euro 5/6 compliance.

The last thing Ford US want is for Falcon sales to improve.
Old 20-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #156
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
*conspiracy theory cap on*
One gets the distinct impression Ford Australia had no interest in meeting the emmision requirements. I wonder if this was a deliberate decision. This may well well have suited Ford US plan to shut down production by killing off the Falcon.

Ford Aus issue atm is the amount of publicity the issue of the Ecoboost Falcon not reaching a high enough emmision score. I wonder how long before the Federal Government starts asking questions of Ford e.g. when will FoA send a Falcon overseas for testing to certify Euro 5/6 compliance.

The last thing Ford US want is for Falcon sales to improve.
If Ford US had wanted to kill the Falcon, they would have done it years ago.
They are making every accommodation possible to to keep production in Australia.
Where else in the Ford world do you see a plant with such low production
and if they wanted to stop production, they wouldn't much around like this...

The ACART emissions lab is set for an upgrade to Euro 5 and 6 in the near future,
Euro 5 and 6 requires manufacturers to guarantee emission compliance until 160, 000 km
which means low sulphur oil and timed emission maintenance schedule, the reductions
in emissions between Euro 4 to 5 to 6 is actually quite small, the big jump was Euro 3 to 4
all of which costs money to develop but if Ford doesn't have to meet Euro 5 until Nov 2016 ,
I doubt they will do it....
Old 20-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #157
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
.....but if Ford doesn't have to meet Euro 5 until Nov 2016 ,
And you are probably right, if their form on the board to date is anything to go by.

The problem with this is it's 1980's thinking when we are in 2012. The days when companies can sit back, rely on word of mouth and not be proactive about building a brand are gone. In this day and age, with lives so hectic and attention spans shorter, companies need to find ways to stay in the front of peoples minds AND still be relevant.

Sitting back (and doing nothing) while every news outlet in country runs headlines that "Ford Falcon is dead", "Ford to shut down Australian operations" does not do the Brand any good at all. Sure you are in front of peoples minds but for all the wrong reasons.

If Ford were to get on the front foot, invest in getting these engines rated properly, and then scream it from the rooftops perhaps they might at least go down swinging. Advertise the fact that with the green funding from the government Australia's large cars are now just as eco-friendly and cost less than some smaller cars to run. At least by doing this it might shame the government into buying them.

Anyway, the way I see it the coach has left the ringside while the old champion takes a beating. Sad days indeed.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #158
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if Ford doesn't have to meet Euro 5 until Nov 2016 ,
I guess it comes down to how much profit they would forego on the lost fleet sales versus what it would cost to get euro 5/6... even if it were compliant now, its no guarantee that it would get bought
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #159
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
I guess it comes down to how much profit they would forego on the lost fleet sales versus what it would cost to get euro 5/6... even if it were compliant now, its no guarantee that it would get bought
Based on that premise FoMoCo should shut down FoA in order for it to stop losing money.
Old 20-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #160
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
Based on that premise FoMoCo should shut down FoA in order for it to stop losing money.
the R & D all gets spent up front. every car they sell is all helping to amortise those costs. its probably still better to be selling 1000/month in the short term than to shut up completely. thats my take.

i think falcon takes way too much of the focus. territory is selling reasonably well and should be the lead singer from now on, based on how each segment of the locals is performing. one thing that many lose sight of is the fact that overall sales of FORD (not falcon car company) are actually doing quite well. obviously this has little bearing on the feasability of the local product but i believe that for a short period, they can carry the locals. ford have said themselves that the current levels are ok but not sustainable long term. i guess it depends on the definition of short term and long term.

they may already have plans in place for post 2016 (i would say definitely) but just because they don't show their hand doesn't mean it doesn't involve local production.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #161
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
They are making every accommodation possible to to keep production in Australia.
Could just be a case of wanting to make back the cash they spent developing FG, or because they have serious development programs running for overseas models. That and the fact they have too spend very little to keep it going until 2016. If all they need to spend between now and then is $50 mil and the government pays the other half then thats bugger all really. Its the cash needed after that thats the problem. Keeping production running in the short term and taking a bit of a loss is probably cheaper than shutting down the whole place too.

I still think local assembly of something like Mondeo and export throughout asia is their only hope of continuing. I certainly hope so for the people in Broadmeadows, PD and stamping. Powertrain is screwed either way unless they could perform some sort of miracle and produce something else like a 4 cylinder petrol or diesel here, however unlikely that seems.
Old 21-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #162
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Could just be a case of wanting to make back the cash they spent developing FG, or because they have serious development programs running for overseas models. That and the fact they have too spend very little to keep it going until 2016. If all they need to spend between now and then is $50 mil and the government pays the other half then thats bugger all really. Its the cash needed after that thats the problem. Keeping production running in the short term and taking a bit of a loss is probably cheaper than shutting down the whole place too.

I still think local assembly of something like Mondeo and export throughout asia is their only hope of continuing. I certainly hope so for the people in Broadmeadows, PD and stamping. Powertrain is screwed either way unless they could perform some sort of miracle and produce something else like a 4 cylinder petrol or diesel here, however unlikely that seems.
Pretty much my sentiments too.
Slightly different tack, any idea how many I-6Ts are being made per day?
I have a hunch that XR6T, G6ET and F6 have taken a beating this year..
Old 22-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #163
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Roughly 8-10 a day.

F6 around 2 or so.

Its the petrol I6 Falcon that taking the beating I think ie. XR6.
Old 22-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #164
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Roughly 8-10 a day.

F6 around 2 or so.

Its the petrol I6 Falcon that taking the beating I think ie. XR6.
OK, Thanks Boss.

So at best around 180-200 I-6 Turbo units a month......
Old 25-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #165
Peterwl

Had a read through the thread and took in all the points of view.

I would like to add that if Ford had spent that development time and money on putting a de tuned Coyote V8 in the FG in XR8 & G8E format, they would have sold a lot more of these than 53 to private buyers throughout Australia.

The 4 cylinder Falcon was always going to be a hard sell to private buyers. I have no doubt it is a good drive train, it just needs to be in a Ford vehicle 250 KG lighter with a small frontal cross section.

Cheers all

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #166
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

The ACART emissions lab is set for an upgrade to Euro 5 and 6 in the near future,
Euro 5 and 6 requires manufacturers to guarantee emission compliance until 160, 000 km
which means low sulphur oil and timed emission maintenance schedule, the reductions
in emissions between Euro 4 to 5 to 6 is actually quite small, the big jump was Euro 3 to 4
all of which costs money to develop but if Ford doesn't have to meet Euro 5 until Nov 2016 ,
Bollocks. Ford has nothing to replace Falcon, and they don't want to bring on the wrath of our unions and GovCo.

Other than that, they couldn't give a stuff about it. Why else would they not advertise the new technology? Don't tell me they can't afford it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #167
RASER
Banned

Unhappy Re: Falcon Ecoboost sales breakdown

Quote:
it, better to make it unsuccessful first and then use that as an excuse.

I'm hoping that at least a switch to Mondeo and exports throughout Asia keep a lot of people in a job, cause a total shutdown will be devastating for Geelong.
That wont happen, and Geelong, together with Broady will have to deal with it.

Happened before at plants in NSW and QLD., thats the cost of doing business in Australia today.

I feel sorry for workers who have worked at these plants for decades, they have not a hope in hell of getting a job anywhere else, onto the dole q once they payout dough runs out.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #168
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
That wont happen, and Geelong, together with Broady will have to deal with it.

Happened before at plants in NSW and QLD., thats the cost of doing business in Australia today.

I feel sorry for workers who have worked at these plants for decades, they have not a hope in hell of getting a job anywhere else, onto the dole q once they payout dough runs out.
They are actively looking at this plan, so don't just make assumptions you know nothing about ok then.

And for jobs you're going overboard there. I know people who took packages 18 months ago and had no problem finding jobs. Not everyone will have luck getting a new job but it won't be an issue for the majority.

Maybe Ford could start building the F150 here and sell it for 23k.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #169
stevz
Banned

Quote:
They are actively looking at this plan
But why would they spend millions of dollars re-tooling the plants to build Mondeos when they already have plants in Asia which can build them at a much lower cost?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #170
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
But why would they spend millions of dollars re-tooling the plants to build Mondeos when they already have plants in Asia which can build them at a much lower cost?
Which plants would that be. China is flat out providing for their market and Thailand doesn't have any extra capacity AFAIK.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #171
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Those plants arent configured to make them, they are configured for high volume, mass market cars, and the under-utilised asset already exists here. System updates to Broadmeadows Assembly and implemenation of virtual build systems have brought our manufacturing and design processes closer to Ford of Europe plants. Particularly EUCD vehicles.

But BossXR8 is correct.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #172
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i still cant believe one of the best sedans..if not the best...weve ever seen in australia is selling so badly. Its sad and amazing at the same time. Lets trust ford aus is doing the best they can in damage reduction and end up maybe giving us a new gobal model we can build here in aus and put the falcon badge or something else australian themed.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #173
Bossxr8
Peter Car

God I hope they don't stick Falcon badges on it.

Let it die with some dignity rather than become a FWD global car.

A Falcon is an aussie designed, engineered and built RWD 6 or V8 (bar eb4), not a Euro designed FWD 4 potter.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #174
aualright

Quote:

A Falcon is an aussie designed, engineered and built RWD 6 or V8 (bar eb4), not a Euro designed FWD 4 potter.
Definitely can't rebadge a global car and call it a Falcon. It would be like calling a hairdresser's convertible a Capri!

On a tangent...I had an American cousin visit not too long ago and when he saw the XR8 being restored in the garage, he said 'you guys still make Falcons?'.

On one hand it is an Australian icon, albeit an adopted one, and on the other hand it is ancient Ford history.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #175
Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
i still cant believe one of the best sedans..if not the best...weve ever seen in australia is selling so badly. Its sad and amazing at the same time. Lets trust ford aus is doing the best they can in damage reduction and end up maybe giving us a new gobal model we can build here in aus and put the falcon badge or something else australian themed.
Let me tell you how to keep Ford Of Austra;ia [ and Holden, and Toyota, and every other manufacterer] viable. Drop the price. Drop manufacturing costs to maintain profitability. Drop wages and all utilitiy charges.

Let me tell you something else. That aint gunna happen. GAME OVER. Ford will be followed by GMH and Toyota soon after.

Australia" The TOO Lucky Country". Have a read and tell me I'm wrong

Very pessimistic but, hey, you cant beat the truth.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #176
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Which plants would that be. China is flat out providing for their market and Thailand doesn't have any extra capacity AFAIK.
Unless the management of FoA and more importantly in HQ USA are totally brain-dead, they would be insane to bother manufacture here in AUS

Bastard unions
High costs involved
Small market
Nil export prospects
Bizzare vehicle standards
Low quality
Overpriced [Cost of doing business here]
etc

Its nothing we have not seen before with whitegoods and electroincs, China is now the workshop of the world, get over it.

They would sooner invest billions in China and India, where u automatically pick up a market of 2 billion plus v 20 million, not rocket science is it, and i doubt those goverments tip in a cent AND would not hinder either
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #177
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
Well for the record i am a multi Falcon owner, and a happy one at that, but a quasi orphan is always going to be a orphan no matter how you polish or dish it out.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #178
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agile
Let me tell you how to keep Ford Of Austra;ia [ and Holden, and Toyota, and every other manufacterer] viable. Drop the price. Drop manufacturing costs to maintain profitability. Drop wages and all utilitiy charges.

Let me tell you something else. That aint gunna happen. GAME OVER. Ford will be followed by GMH and Toyota soon after.

Australia" The TOO Lucky Country". Have a read and tell me I'm wrong

Very pessimistic but, hey, you cant beat the truth.
China has raped eveyone, nobody can compete with them, the communists make sure of that, the only ones who have survived are the "premium" brands, and the irony China is the biggest market for them!

BigT[tm.F/0] Toyota will be the last one standing here, because its a vastly better built product than the American owned, but made here jobs [thats u too LionKing] and actually has what the punters want to buy, the Camry and very strong export program to boot.

Falcon had a 50 years run, thats amazing really, no shame in that!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #179
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Doubt they would keep the badge. You would think they would wanna start with a fresh name seeing as the Falcon doesn't hold the name it once did.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #180
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Falcon name is fine, if it wasnt for the name 'Falcon' it would be selling a lot less, almost Mondeo-type numbers.

There is no performance/luxury V8, there is no wagon and there is no diesel.

No one ever wanted a 4 cylinder Falcon for a 6 cylinder price, and fleets moved elsewhere once Ford went to the trouble of developing EcoLPI and didnt even offer it in a wagon.

Frankly the only thing saving Falcon and keeping it outselling cars like the Toyota Aurion, is its heritage.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post