Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #151
jobeli

Default Re: What will be the next "Classic"

The bronco will be. Espescially the xlt two tone. Rough cheapies were starting at 3k abt 5 yrs ago. Now starting at abt 9k upwards.
jobeli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #152
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

ED XR8 Sprint
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #153
LXL15

This thread is making me sad, I want to own some of the cars people are saying and it looks like they'll all be expensive classics by the time I can afford them haha. Oh Well.

+1 for t series au. And I think the b series falcons (pretty much all models) seeing as a lot can and has been done to them. I'd like to say the same for the au but feel I'd be judged too harshly for revealing a like for their styling (dare I say inside and out).
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #154
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

This thread has been so inspiring my EL XR8 5speed is no longer for sale, ill hang onto it for a lot longer now
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #155
Danny
GT4.

You know what?

I reckon anything more than 40 years old that is still alive and in good nick will get good money, and by default garner "classic" status.

Even if it's an EF GLi..

EDIT: While I'm here I may as well add my obligatory Eurotrash contributions

VW Golf R32 V6 MkIV
VW Golf R32 V6 MkV
RenaultSport Clio II Ph1&2 172/182 Cup (Particularly the Red Trophy edition exclusive to Europe)
RenaultSport Clio II Ph1&2 225 V6
Focus RS (in Australia will become a bit of a classic due to the small number sold here)

I have more, many many more, but these are standouts to me.

Last edited by Danny; 08-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #156
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep...as they say about war: it doesn't determine who's right, but who's left...

Same with "classics"...there will be no real value to something if it's one of hundreds left driving around. Our 1957 Morris Minor sedan was bought for $4200. It's worth about the same now...maybe a bit less actually as the paint is going off a bit...the prices are pretty constant and have been for some time. There is also the little matter that, while it's a 54 year old car in perfect running order, there are thousands of the little buggers still in every day use. I'd even lay a wager that nearly everyone on this board has seen at least one Morris Minor in the last month somewhere driving around.

Now, if it was once a common car, and is now a rarity, it needn't have been anything special or valuable in the first place.
I saw three cars over the last weekend that I haven't seen for many years, but which were once quite a common sight on the roads. First was a VB SLE Commodore, red, with original 15" factory alloys, V8 and manual, in very good condition. Second was a Datsun 1200 ute...hell, I remember when they were actually giving them away if you bought a Nissan truck. Now they're worth a fortune. Third was an LH Torana four door. Nicely but basically modded with 16" wheels, fruity V8 exhaust note, and SLR rear spoiler...nothing fancy, but it stood out because you just don't see them anymore, yet once they were almost everywhere, as little as 10 years ago.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 03:17 AM   #157
50thturbo

may be the 99 au tickford and the 50th turbo dont think there will be alot left
50thturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #158
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
This thread has been so inspiring my EL XR8 5speed is no longer for sale, ill hang onto it for a lot longer now
Glad we could help!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #159
jase1

T SERIES AU's. and an EB XR8 Sprint.......

CANDY, 96 6Cyl, Fairmont, Cardinal Red, Lowered, Headers

GIBBS `05 XR6 Mercury Silver

INDY, 02 XR8, Narooma Blue, Leather, lowered, Headers, REX DVD, 19in TSWs'

jase1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #160
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EB SS falcon should get a mention - very limited build number.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #161
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
The EB SS falcon should get a mention - very limited build number.
Was that the special lightweight one mainly converted to race cars?
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #162
Chopped
as in chopped

W427 & Ts50
Old 19-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #163
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
ED XR8 Sprint
Agreed.

Also EL XR8 (185kw version) and AUIII Pursuit 250 Ute.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #164
anto
Za Dom spremni

a friend of mine just traded in his old red ed xr8 sprint on a hybird camry..got around 3500 for it lol. considering what he paid they have a lot of ground to cover.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #165
whitesoarer

ED XR8 Sprint
NL Fairlane by Tickford
whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #166
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
a friend of mine just traded in his old red ed xr8 sprint on a hybird camry..got around 3500 for it lol. considering what he paid they have a lot of ground to cover.

What dealer?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #167
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
Must be a pretty rough example, would love to check it out.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #168
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Any sprint for $3500 is a steal....who would accept that trade in! On a bloody hybrid...surely your pulling our leg.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #169
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I was going to say, I think the BA XR6 and more so especially the XR6T will become the new VLT.
IMO they have already replaced the VLT.

Now I hope a BA GT is a classic in years to come.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #170
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My EL

(Hopefully)

Plan to hang onto this one.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #171
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I saw three cars over the last weekend that I haven't seen for many years, but which were once quite a common sight on the roads. First was a VB SLE Commodore, red, with original 15" factory alloys, V8 and manual, in very good condition. Second was a Datsun 1200 ute...hell, I remember when they were actually
I remember those, they had a hard act to follow with the demise of the HZ Kingswood/Premier models....Wasn't the VB SL/E model the upmarket Commo with the wipers on the headlights?...canned when the VH came out in 1981...bit of a gimmick that as it would little impact on visibility.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #172
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know they kept the wiper dwell setting on the dash right up until the VK commodore, but yes, the SL/E was the 'upmarket' version as such.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #173
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I remember those, they had a hard act to follow with the demise of the HZ Kingswood/Premier models....Wasn't the VB SL/E model the upmarket Commo with the wipers on the headlights?...canned when the VH came out in 1981...bit of a gimmick that as it would little impact on visibility.
Having just got back from Rockhampton after nearly two hours on the Capricorn Highway, and having just cleaned off approximately two kilograms of bugs from the headlights, I kind of wish manufacturers hadn't given them up so easily.

It's worse in summer...after a few hours at night you can actually pick that the headlights are getting dimmer from the bugs...
Old 20-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #174
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Any sprint for $3500 is a steal....who would accept that trade in! On a bloody hybrid...surely your pulling our leg.
no it wasnt rough and Im not pulling your leg. Had highish k's but in good nick. He got offered less from a ford dealer, so he went to Toyota and got the better finance and trade. The hybrid was for his Mrs btw, he himself has a bf pursuit.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #175
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Looks like I have to keep the T3......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #176
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't want to be a downer or anything. But most of these cars mentioned already aren't even overly popular now. Nor were hero cars or overly popular at the time.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #177
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I don't want to be a downer or anything. But most of these cars mentioned already aren't even overly popular now. Nor were hero cars or overly popular at the time.
Mmm...good point. Remember "the slump" when things like Monaros, Chargers, and even GT Falcons (apart of course from the rare HO's) were relatively cheap...even hero cars (Bathurst Monaros, E38 and E49 Chargers) only enjoyed a slight premium over the ordinary cars. I vividly remember back in the early 1990's seeing a very straight and clean (and rego'd) HK Monaro sitting by the side of the road south of Gympie (where we used to go regularly to visit the sister in law on her farm). It was light blue, and an absolute poverty-pack...steel wheels with hubcaps, 161 six cylinder, three on the tree, the long rectangular Kingswood dash and bench seat...basically just a "two door Kingswood". The price? $3500. Yes, I do still kick myself.

Other "ones that got away"? In 1985 my new wife and I looked at an XB GT sedan in green with silver trim, air conditioning, four wheel disks, power steering, and automatic, in perfect condition, for $7000. A year before I had paid $6500 for a 1980 VC four cylinder Commodore sedan (stop laughing you buggers... ). In 1988 (I remember because I had just started a new job) we looked at an XT-GT in Gympie. It was in pretty much original condition, for sale for only $7500.

I have one of the latest issues of Unique Cars, and they have a section in each issue of adverts from the past, with the "price then and price now".
In this issue is the desperately unloved HX LE Monaro...the run out of the last body Monaro shells, much as Ford did with the Cobras. It was never a popular car, even when new...it was heavy, more a luxury coupe than a performance car. A friend of mine had bought one new, and while he loved it as a long distance cruiser, he didn't enjoy the handling or lack of grunt and horrible fuel consumption (very effectively killed by ADR27-A).
The one in Unique Cars for an advert from the year 2000 says: "Just as Ford built 400 Cobras to shift left-over Hartop shells, Holden needed a marketing hook to move the last of its two door Monaros. The Limited Edition HX was garish, expensive, and not especially desireable, but age heals all wounds. By the mid-noughties, these cars with thier gold-finished "honeycomb" wheels, gold pinstriping, and two-tone seat inserts had joined the muscle-car boom. While the values of GTS versions rose higher and have fallen harder, a very good LE should still generate four times the Y2K asking price"
The price in 2000 of the car in the old advert, $12,750, the estimated price of one now, $42-50,000. Not a bad little return on your money if you'd have bought it.

But that's the point...even though the car advertised was an excellent one in very good condition, would you have bought it? Even then in 2000 they were seen as the Ugly Duckling of the range and were unpopular...that's if anyone under 30 even remembered them and didn't just think they were a shonky custom job by someone with bad taste.

Like share trading...it's all a gamble. You might buy something cheap and speculate on its increase in value. Then again, you might do your dough...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 21-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 22-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #178
jixel 78

Any XE with Efi 6 banger,or the Efi 202 VK. Nobody had a clue about tuning them back then and they were rubbished for being a pig. The Atlantis Blue S pack I had a few years ago was a ripper car. Even Dick Johnson turboed a few. The XF was better, but ULP dulled it a bit. Surely an original ESP with fuel injection(If it hasnt been converted to a Cleveland) would be a rather rare car methinks.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #179
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jixel 78
Any XE with Efi 6 banger,or the Efi 202 VK. Nobody had a clue about tuning them back then and they were rubbished for being a pig. The Atlantis Blue S pack I had a few years ago was a ripper car. Even Dick Johnson turboed a few. The XF was better, but ULP dulled it a bit. Surely an original ESP with fuel injection(If it hasnt been converted to a Cleveland) would be a rather rare car methinks.
In 1988 we bought a 1984 VK Calais with the EFI 3.3 Holden black motor. It was smooth, good on juice, had a well designed head, and stainless steel extractors. What let it down was the typical early EFI problems of connections in the electrics getting dirty and a hundred tiny rubber vacuum hoses that would get hard on the ends and have to be "trimmed" and pushed back on again occasionally.
Not to mention the rediculous plastic distributor drive gear...
We had it for five years and it was a love-hate relationship. We heard of many people coverting them to a 350 Holley, but I didn't know how this would affect the full digital dash and the trip computer, so I left it alone and just kept spending money keeping it going...

Not many of those around in original condition now, as with the XE EFI models.
Old 22-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #180
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XK to XM Falcons, if they havn't been saved by now they will have rusted away, no more left to restore! XPs are still to common.

Maybe the HD (hardly driveable) Holden, they were so bad you'd have to have one in your collection.

Last edited by Olbucko; 22-05-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post