Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 03:21 PM   #17611
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I realise that both of you just have to have the last word, so lets just end it here please before you monopolise another page with your bickering.
Ohhhhh... I just finished my Weeties and was going to jump in and finish what I kicked off last night. No fair!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #17612
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
$170 for a pack of 5.....bargain....

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/tools-n...7088650584222/
Those kits are all sold. People are obviously desperate.

We've donated one of ours to a friend who needed a test to get on his charter flight to work. Without it he would have been stood down.

If anyone is interested. Presale by Kogan for delivery from 17/1.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/orawell...-pack-orawell/
Old 03-01-2022, 05:03 PM   #17613
Pooka
Shapeshifter

What logic from the PM this morning?? You'll have to pay for them, because if we make them free, you'll pay for them anyway?? Well.. isn't this why we pay tax for? Particularly for your people's health reasons, during a once in a century pandemic? Most civilised economies have made the RAT's free for their people. But no, not our PM. There are carparks and sports clubs that need our tax money I guess?

This coming from someone who get's pretty much everything for FREE!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:15 PM   #17614
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
What logic from the PM this morning?? You'll have to pay for them, because if we make them free, you'll pay for them anyway?? Well.. isn't this why we pay tax for? Particularly for your people's health reasons, during a once in a century pandemic? Most civilised economies have made the RAT's free for their people. But no, not our PM. There are carparks and sports clubs that need our tax money I guess?

This coming from someone who get's pretty much everything for FREE!

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/head...r-sick-people/
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:23 PM   #17615
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Last week I was desperate for one. I went to 22 places looking for one and eventually found one at a servo for $30! Lucky I ended up being negative as this commodity had me enter 23 establishments.

They should be free to stop the price gouging, the states have been paying $100 for every pcr. A rat can’t possible cost more than $1 when you buy enough for 25 million people. I’d allow one per person per day. I’d gladly do a rat every day but at even the cheapest I could find it’s unreasonable at $13
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #17616
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
A rat can’t possible cost more than $1 when you buy enough for 25 million people.
The one my wife bought requires a UV torch to visualise the result (comes with the kit). There's no way you're getting that plus the kit itself for a dollar.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #17617
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Last week I was desperate for one. I went to 22 places looking for one and eventually found one at a servo for $30! Lucky I ended up being negative as this commodity had me enter 23 establishments.

They should be free to stop the price gouging, the states have been paying $100 for every pcr. A rat can’t possible cost more than $1 when you buy enough for 25 million people. I’d allow one per person per day. I’d gladly do a rat every day but at even the cheapest I could find it’s unreasonable at $13
Plus you get a cool UV torch.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:56 PM   #17618
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The one my wife bought requires a UV torch to visualise the result (comes with the kit). There's no way you're getting that plus the kit itself for a dollar.

I got the kit. Worst one I’ve used. There are other ones that don’t need it
Old 03-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #17619
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Plus you get a cool UV torch.

To think we were worried about plastic bags and straws a few years ago. Now there will be millions of those stupid torches.

Maybe the whole conspiracy in covid is that China had billions of torches in stock that needed selling
6 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #17620
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
To think we were worried about plastic bags and straws a few years ago. Now there will be millions of those stupid torches.

Maybe the whole conspiracy in covid is that China had billions of torches in stock that needed selling
Can I have your torch if you don't want it then?
Old 03-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #17621
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Are you going to play CSI?
Old 03-01-2022, 06:15 PM   #17622
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

For $1 you can.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #17623
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
For $1 you can.
Sold!

BTW, the Soul Patterson in "The Hill" is expecting a shipment tomorrow if you need them. You should know where I mean.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #17624
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sold!

BTW, the Soul Patterson in "The Hill" is expecting a shipment tomorrow if you need them. You should know where I mean.

I’ve got a few spare now.

Found out that some places are separating the kits and putting them into individual zip lock bags. Then on selling them at an inflated price.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #17625
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Found out that some places are separating the kits and putting them into individual zip lock bags. Then on selling them at an inflated price.
Illegal. Report them to the TGA.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #17626
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

I'm wondering where these came from? I was hearing on the radio that one health provider / chemist / government entity ordered many tens of thousands in bulk but they were not to be used or sold to general public as they lacked the individual packaging required legally - or something like that.

I'm talking around 40,000 units.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 03-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #17627
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Interesting that VicDanistan and The GSS have the same number of patients on ventilation but the former has only 1/3 of the icu cases of the latter. I assume that’s down to Delta.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:20 AM   #17628
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is interesting:
A few sniffles because it is winter here, but I consider the 'testing point' to be a fever lasting more than a few hours (or similar for shortness of breath etc).
This and caution - IMHO washing hands, not touching face etc is infinitely more effective than relying on someone else to wear a mask. If you have any symptoms, stay home or mask up. Admittedly I do also wear a mask, as a talisman to keep evil people away, when in places that require it.

Have not needed a test kit yet.
Have you ever been at the luggage carousel, and wished everyone would keep 3m back until they see their bag ?
Same principle here - If we all apply commonsense there are plenty of testing kits. (Said he who has about 200 roles of TP in the basement)
Old 04-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #17629
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

For those having difficulty finding rapid antigen test kits, I heard about this site on the radio this morning. Set up by a software engineer in Melbourne, where it is predominantly based, but the site has only been up since 4pm yesterday and has already millions of hits.

Kind of works like petrol spy where it takes input from users to update availability status. If retailers got on board, would work very well. I do note that there is nothing in the gippsland region east of suburbia.

But may be useful to some here.

findarat.com.au

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 10:49 AM   #17630
slowsnake
Banned

Old 04-01-2022, 10:51 AM   #17631
slowsnake
Banned

I heard the test kits are going to be supplied free very soon, don't ask me to verify the origin, just take it as you read it!
Old 04-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #17632
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Australia
NSW records 23,131 cases in the current period (a new record high) and the 10-day average growth rate decreases slightly to 1.1761 (from 1.1769) while the actual line is still well above the predictive trend line.

VIC records 14,020 cases in the current period (another new record high) and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.2319 (from 1.1691) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend.

Queensland (4,249), SA (2,552), ACT (514) and Tasmania (466) set new daily highs yesterday (3/1).

Overlay…

Week 25 in Victoria ended today with 195,913 cases to date compared to 20,155 at the same point of the 2020 outbreak and 80,017 at the same point for the NSW 2021 outbreak. Weekly case numbers see Victoria with 10x more cases than NSW in that week and overall case numbers for Victoria are up by 8,209 on last week. Note that we are comparing historical data for NSW with current data for Victoria as NSW is about 3.5 weeks ahead.

If we continue that graph up to the end of the last full week for NSW, it looks like this:

.. and here is the predictive trend graph for both NSW / Victoria based on cases since Omicron was identified which, for our purposes, will be taken as December 1st.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #17633
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

926 in ACT. Almost double yesterday.

The positivity rates are between 20 and 30%
Old 04-01-2022, 12:06 PM   #17634
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I heard the test kits are going to be supplied free very soon, don't ask me to verify the origin, just take it as you read it!
34 million tests ordered for Victoria. Looks like you can just go to a distribution point and pick up a test. Hope they have a system to stop people hoarding or doing unnecessary tests.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...29-p59kn0.html

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #17635
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 3rd 2022.

37,059 new cases for Australia (a new record) and 7 deaths so the CMR is 0.453%.

NZ recorded 51 cases and 0 deaths for a CMR of 0.356%.

The UK recorded 187,414 cases and 42 deaths for a CMR of 1.109%.

494,855 new cases in the USA yesterday and 688 deaths sees CMR at 1.502%.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 292M, the last 2M in 1 day;
Europe passes 89M cases;
Asia passes 85M cases;
North America passes 67M cases;

Greenland (319);
Mauritania (490) – the previous high (409) on 29/7/21;
Andorra (762);
French Guiana (834);
Dominican Republic (2,658) – the previous high (2,370) on 16/1/21;
Switzerland (19,620) on 31/12; and
Australia (37,059)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Israel moves above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drops below.

We are still waiting for 1 country in Europe (Sweden) and 2 in North America (Costa Rica, Honduras) to report data for 31st December before doing the annual summary.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 02-02-2022 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #17636
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting. This would indicate there isn't a shortage of stock, but rather more of a problem with the way it was communicated, which made it difficult to get the kits to the shelves to meet demand in the short term.

(Note article is a week old)

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/warehous...f-d8883b995822

Quote:
The founder of Suretest, a supplier of rapid antigen test (RAT) kits in Australia, Dr Lewis is sitting on a supply of about 75,000 kits in his warehouse in Melbourne’s inner suburb of Malvern.

He's aware pharmacies and retailers in many parts of Australia are either running out of or running low on RAT kits – particularly in Sydney and Melbourne. Yet no one’s calling him.

“In fact, we have staff calling people saying, ‘Hey, do you need to buy some?,” Dr Lewis told SBS News.

Dr Lewis is not alone. A number of major distributors in Australia have warehouses full of RAT kits.

“Earlier this week, we had around three million rapid antigen test kits in our warehouse in Sydney and we have been getting deliveries of approximately 100,000 every single day since,” Allison Rossiter, the managing director of Roche Diagnostics Australia, another major RAT supplier, told SBS News.

“There’s not a shortage in the country. There’s just a shortage on the shelves,” Ms Rossiter said.

The Pharmacy Guild of Australia represents 75 per cent of the country’s 6,000 community pharmacists and, according to Professor Twomey, the lack of forewarning from government around policy changes leads to significant supply-chain issues.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #17637
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Boxloads of RATs @ Summer Hill Soul Patterson.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #17638
slowsnake
Banned

Just read this rather long article on the internet, an interview with a Dr Yager of Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany New York.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ine-so-quickly
Old 04-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #17639
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well after coming back from a round trip to Victoria I can certainly say for whatever reason (it boggles the mind, you would think they were burnt) that Victoria is much less compliant with masks, QR'ing and checking for vacc.

I should be happy, its less effort, but the difference is stark.

Either way we seemed to get around multiple states and not pick it up so thats a win...but its just a matter of time.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #17640
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just what we bloody need for the new year:

Quote:
French scientists discover new mutant Covid variant which could be more resistant to vaccines
Alarm bells are ringing after a new Covid variant was detected in France, with a renowned health expert pointing out a “worrying” sign.

Alexis Carey January 4, 2022.

The medical world is on alert yet again after a new mutant Covid-19 variant emerged in France recently.

The new strain, dubbed “variant IHU” or B. 1.640.2, was first detected in the nation last month, but is now making international headlines after catching the attention of global experts.

At least 12 cases were confirmed near the Marseilles area, and it is understood that many of those patients were hospitalised with the illness.

Variant IHU, which is believed to be linked with travel to the African nation of Cameroon, has 46 mutations which experts fear could mean it is more resistant to existing vaccines.

However, on a more positive note, the new strain does not appear to be spreading rapidly.

The variant was discovered by researchers from the The Méditerranée Infection University Hospital Institute (IHU), but is not yet under investigation by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

There is also no concrete evidence it has spread past the French border, although there are unconfirmed claims it may have already entered the UK.

.................................................. ....................
https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...68cde9292a94d6

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Closed Thread