Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #121
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Are We Being Too Harsh And Critial Of Ford Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Thanks , but as noted it`s not losing sales because it`s RWD either, the Mondeo has increased in sales so maybe they are taken some Falcon sales. Holden have shown you can have a Large RWD and still sell. So It`s either Ford U.S hampering Ford AU of Ford AU need a big kick up the bum and stop stalling and become more innovative with the product and the marketing.
It will be interesting to see how Malibu does in sales and whether there's
any bleed from Commodore, depends just how good (or not) the Malibu is.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #122
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
I think that maybe you are not a very good driver.
And how would you know this?

What he says is correct, for normal driving duties there is nothing wrong with FWD. All the nasties that occur with FWD when you are driving 9/10ths...and how often do we do that? How often do people buy the bulk of the small/meduim and even large cars do that?..Bugger all.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #123
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
And how would you know this?

What he says is correct, for normal driving duties there is nothing wrong with FWD. All the nasties that occur with FWD when you are driving 9/10ths...and how often do we do that? How often do people buy the bulk of the small/meduim and even large cars do that?..Bugger all.
I don't. Hence why I said. "think". T'was an assumption.

There is nothing wrong with FWD.... but it's not quite right either. It's much nicer to drive with an unhindered steering system. At any speed.
Old 19-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #124
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't. Hence why I said. "think". T'was an assumption.

There is nothing wrong with FWD.... but it's not quite right either. It's much nicer to drive with an unhindered steering system. At any speed.
Better take the power steering of your ED then bucko.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #125
stang65
FPRJET

I must say my wife drives a territory and before that an ED falcon, but before we bought the territory we looked at a focus, she took it for a test drive. Admittedly she likes big cars, but she did not like the feel of the car being driven from the front wheels. Also she does like to step on the gas occasionally.

Would you feel comfortable about letting your wife/partner going from a RWd to a Fwd without any training.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #126
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Would you feel comfortable about letting your wife/partner going from a RWd to a Fwd without any training.
Serious? Training? For what the supermarket slalom?

Since when do wives (or anyone) need to know about lift off oversteer...or understeer when pushing to hard?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #127
stang65
FPRJET

So you think that somebody who is not into cars and has never driven a FWD car could not get themselves into trouble if giving the car a bit of a squirt?
Old 19-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #128
burnz
VFII SS UTE

wow a couple of post about ford, the rest about switching off all safety gear so you can killing yourself under the guise of FWD v RWD debate..

i wonder if the mondeo will fit in an elevator so you dont have to worry about shopping trollys??

Last edited by burnz; 19-04-2011 at 01:50 AM.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #129
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
I must say my wife drives a territory and before that an ED falcon, but before we bought the territory we looked at a focus, she took it for a test drive. Admittedly she likes big cars, but she did not like the feel of the car being driven from the front wheels. Also she does like to step on the gas occasionally.

Good woman. She has sense.
Old 19-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #130
stang65
FPRJET

Yeah too much sometimes....lol
Old 19-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #131
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Post of the century..

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #132
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

My b***h-o-meter just went spastic...WTF?

The topic is are we too critical of Ford - and yet there's a comment about training a woman to drive a FWD car?

If my partner ever said that to me, I'd flip him upside the head! Now how about we get back to topic, please?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #133
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
My b***h-o-meter just went spastic...WTF?

The topic is are we too critical of Ford - and yet there's a comment about training a woman to drive a FWD car?

If my partner ever said that to me, I'd flip him upside the head! Now how about we get back to topic, please?
agreed. i think a lot of people haven't driven a modern front wheel drive car. as for the sexist comments. what % of 'girly' cars are FWD??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #134
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

You really need to let go of your FWD prejudices.
Just about every thread you're on your horse about the evils of FWD.
It is getting tiring and your posts really do lack any kind of substance to justify your rants.
Old 19-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #135
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

haha what a toss of a post.

My Mrs went from an AWD Liberty to a FWD Mondeo and to be honest I can hardly tell the difference.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #136
sirlc6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
jpd80 - my answer is - absolutely!!

hoden post a loss for many years and all the experts on here are saying they are making cars for no profit ect etc. now they post a profit and suddely the commodore is their bread winner! ford post a profit and yet everyone jumps on the 'falcon is doomed' bandwagon. can't have it boh ways.

for arguments sake, lets say the sales figures are too low to be sustainable/viable. its not the only company in the world that is propping up certain areas of its business off the success of other areas.

many people carry on about marketing as well, but any google search from a prospective buyer will quite possibly find them looking up AFF, and after that, they will never buy a ford. no worse marketing than the so called 'fans' continually sticking the boots in.
Could not agree more. I have only been on here for a couple of months and almost ready to cancel my account because all the complaining done on this site. Flame suit on!
Paul
sirlc6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #137
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Wrong thread
Old 19-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #138
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Critical of Ford or not, they are not doing as good as they could be. They are number one in the USA, so they COULD be number one in Australia. It's all about potential.
Old 19-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #139
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
You really need to let go of your FWD prejudices.
Just about every thread you're on your horse about the evils of FWD.
It is getting tiring and your posts really do lack any kind of substance to justify your rants.
I think you have me mixed up with someone else.Every thread I`m on?
I have no prejudice and I am sorry to tire you out, maybe move on to the next post. I have an opinion and I will share it if i Like.

Last edited by stang65; 19-04-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 19-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #140
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Post of the century..

So it`s been ****ing down raining the roads are slippery and you have your3 month old focus in the driveway . Your wife/girlfriend has never driven FWD she likes to plant it on take off occasionally you won`t advise her about torque steer ?etc.

Don`t get me wrong if your gonna drive like a 60 year old FWD is no biggy, but alot of people get in their comfort zone and tend to put the foot down a bit harder than they should with unexpected result.

I`m glad I have amused you.
Old 19-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #141
prydey
Rob

Quote:
So it`s been ****ing down raining the roads are slippery and you have your3 month old focus in the driveway . Your wife/girlfriend has never driven FWD she likes to plant it on take off occasionally you won`t advise her about torque steer ?etc.

Don`t get me wrong if your gonna drive like a 60 year old FWD is no biggy, but alot of people get in their comfort zone and tend to put the foot down a bit harder than they should with unexpected result.

seriously mate, more females drive FWD than RWD. fiesta, focus, i20, i30, getz, mazda2, mazda3, corolla, cruze, barina, golf etc etc.

90% of the population would never tell the difference. believe it or not, car enthusiasts are a minority, and even most of them wouldn't notice in everyday driving either.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #142
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Ok, what does she do when she boots it in a RWD car and the *** kicks out, how many drivers actually know how to counter oversteer? Understeer you just back off and steering comes back.

Torque steer only shows up in torquey FWD cars, a normal Focus or Fiesta wont torque steer, hell my TDCI Focus only slightly does.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #143
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
seriously mate, more females drive FWD than RWD. fiesta, focus, i20, i30, getz, mazda2, mazda3, corolla, cruze, barina, golf etc etc.

90% of the population would never tell the difference. believe it or not, car enthusiasts are a minority, and even most of them wouldn't notice in everyday driving either.
Yep, been in the car with some young female drivers....pretty scary. But as i mentioned it depends if they have a lead foot.
Old 19-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #144
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Of all the sedans sold each month, RWD make up only a very small amount.

Of all the Crossovers and SUVs sold each month, I think the bulk would be AWD
with just a handful of being only FWD or RWD only vehicles.

When you get to 4x4 and 4x2 Pick Ups and Cab Chassis, the number of AWDs to RWD
is much closer with virtually no FWDs (maybe FWD Transit ect..)
Old 19-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #145
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Ok, what does she do when she boots it in a RWD car and the *** kicks out, how many drivers actually know how to counter oversteer? Understeer you just back off and steering comes back.

Torque steer only shows up in torquey FWD cars, a normal Focus or Fiesta wont torque steer, hell my TDCI Focus only slightly does.
taking off in a straight line isn`t an issuse in RWD, When she first started driving the ED Falcon she didn`t even realise she was breaking traction.

Anyway how about we get back on topic, It seems people love to flame people for having an opinion. 9this is not at you Big Damo).
Old 19-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #146
billy302

Quote:
see, to me, its all speculation with your 20/20 hindsight goggles on. its easy to look back and say 'should've.....'!!

it may well be as you say, but everyone's an expert after the event. this is one area that fits perfectly with the topic of this thread. every manufacturer makes decisions years in advance of product release. as fans, its easy to critisize looking back.
When something is wrong, then fixing it requires analysis of what you did incorrectly or could have done better.
Planning takes thought more thought, and when your done then think again.
If people start criticising what has been done in the past or present, perhaps it's time to look at what your doing and see if you can do it better.
Constructive criticism is a good tool and only a fool will ignore poor outcomes.
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #147
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sometimes wonder if we bash Ford when they are actually doing the right thing:
1) Canceling XR8......about 800 sedans in 2009 and 300 odd in 2011
2) Slowing the line down and reducing staff to right size the Factory
3) Waiting to get EcoLPI ready for production and not releasing a "problem child"

From what we're told Ford's engineering team is being kept on the hop with lots of work,
I think we should be glad that they are given constant work compared to the very
cyclical nature of just a few years ago when work ebbed and flowed depending
on the local vehicle product cycle and scheduled upgrades.

Sure the factory is running along much slower these day but the fact that Ford is still
persevering with the local product says that the brass must be impressed with
how FoA is controlling costs and squeezing every dollar.

If FoA can get through these tight couple of months, I'd expect Territory and EcoLPI
will set them up for increased production levels in the second half of the year..
Old 19-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #148
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well he is only about 21 years old but unlike most 21 year olds he actually does have a realistic view of his personal driving skill.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #149
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
taking off in a straight line isn`t an issuse in RWD, When she first started driving the ED Falcon she didn`t even realise she was breaking traction.

Anyway how about we get back on topic, It seems people love to flame people for having an opinion. 9this is not at you Big Damo).
You can have your opinion - when it becomes sexist...that's when I take offense, which I did.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #150
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah you would know. Another 'Assumption'
FFS a FWD car will perform the same with everyday driving there is next to no difference
I had a TE50 before my XR5 and daily duties there is no difference but when pushed they go about the business differently. My Focus only Torque steers when provoked and its tuned. A quaife will fix that if needed.
How about you get some 'real' world experience before making 'assumptions'.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post