Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #121
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Schapelle Corby, why so much interest ?

My new years resolution was to never read the paper, any news websites or watch the News on tv in 2014. It's great, i no longer get bothered by stories like this because I dont know about them (until someone starts a thread), and I if I avoid stupid threads like this with all the numerous keyboard lawyers, then life is more enjoyable. News is full of doom and gloom. How refreshing not to see all this rubbish.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #122
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Another reason for media to glorify criminals cough *underbelly* for wrong doing and portraying them as heroes when in reality some of these people were merciless killers and drug dealers/smuglers/scumbags. I have no sympathy and my cup of care --> |_| will always be empty for these useless oxygen thiefs. I don't think its fair for everyone out there who earns an honest living when criminals get a nice payout from media after they are released.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #123
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

And don't get me started on Justin Bieber.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #124
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
And don't get me started on Justin Bieber.
Lock this thread now if you're gonna start.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #125
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

I wouldn't like to be one of those Aussies on death row over there at the moment, where they could be shot at a moments notice.

Indonesia might just want to assure Australians that they DO have a death sentence for drug trafficking.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #126
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
My new years resolution was to never read the paper, any news websites or watch the News on tv in 2014. It's great, i no longer get bothered by stories like this because I dont know about them (until someone starts a thread), and I if I avoid stupid threads like this with all the numerous keyboard lawyers, then life is more enjoyable. News is full of doom and gloom. How refreshing not to see all this rubbish.
Im exactly the same, I cant remember the last time I watched a news report on 7/9/10, hardly ever bother with the paper and dont really see much on the net other than the main headlines.

The rubbish that gets reported, and the manner in which it is presented is sickening.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #127
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Forget that skank. Is it true Justin Beiber has retired now?
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #128
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289 View Post
You dont own a telly???
If it wasn't for my missus, mine would be in the trailer ready for the next tip run. I'm too tight to get Foxtel and like just picking and choosing what I watch via the net.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #129
Motorbreath310

I wonder if there'll be some famous quote from Her that we'll later see plastered across the rear windscreens of Commodores? Much like the "Such is Life" stickers?

And what's the go with labelling Her a "filthy drug runner?" It was only a few kilos of weed? It's not like She was selling meth to pregnant teens...
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #130
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mercedes vs Schapelle

Who is more attractive?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #131
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Wonder if the Corby bogans anticipated this. Both the Indons and Newman are not in any mood for her gaining from "proceeds of crime" or breaching her parole conditions. But then again the Corby's do have history turning their noses at authority.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/bali-...212-32hnf.html

Bali parole board head visits Schapelle Corby as anger over interview grows

Bali prison boss Farid Junaedi says it would be "stupid" for Schapelle Corby to talk to journalists, a day after the parole board warned any interview may land her in jail.

The backlash in Indonesia against Schapelle Corby's luxury accommodation and rumoured $2 million interview fee she may earn is growing, prompting the head of the Bali parole board, Ketut Artha, to pay an unscheduled visit on Wednesday to the villa compound where she's staying.

Mr Ketut drove into the gated Sentosa Seminyak villa complex on Wednesday morning, dressed in batik rather than his official uniform. He was with Corby's parole officer, Putu Andiani, and two others, and they stayed inside for about an hour.

Uncertain of what will happen: Mike Willesee. After coming out, Mr Ketut told Fairfax Media that Corby seemed stressed. “She's still recuperating but she is not at a maximum level yet,” he said.

The increased attention from the Bali authorities means the Corby family's determination to grant an interview is high risk, particularly if Corby is under stress and her answers unpredictable.

He said he had insisted that an Indonesian bureaucrat sit in the room when and if Corby grants her first post-prison interview, so that what she said could be relayed back to his superiors in Jakarta.

Mr Ketut is under pressure from the local media and politicians, who believe Corby should be living in the family compound of her brother-in-law, Wayan Widyartha, and should not be paid millions for a tell-all interview about her experiences.

Mr Ketut has already made it clear that she is entitled to live in the villa complex. However, he said on Tuesday there were certain things she could say in an interview that would be “fatal” to her continuing parole.

“We'd have to review what exactly has been said, and it will be ... not instantly. If she says something [bad] … we'll advise her, warn her, but if it's fatal, we'll definitely review [her parole].”

He would not elaborate on what issues she could speak about that would be a concern.

Kerobokan prison governor Farid Junaedi weighed in, warning on Wednesday that if Corby were returned to prison for breaching any parole conditions “it will be worse than before” because she would miss good behaviour remissions.

He also told the local Denpost newspaper it was “stupid” if she did an interview.

“On parole, she is still considered as a prisoner, though she's free and outside ... I've made it clear to the family that if she's willing to be interviewed, that would be stupid of her,” he said.

Mr Ketut reiterated to Fairfax Media that Corby did not need any official permission to do an interview, but said: “We do expect them to advise us” so they could report back to Jakarta.

“We want to make sure that our [parole] officer is there to guide Corby, and then we'll need to report to our [department's] director-general to let him know what happened.”

The comments will increase the pressure on the Corby family – and on the Seven Network program that has apparently secured first interview rights – to limit what she says about the Indonesian justice and prison systems.

Mr Ketut said that he had spoken to Corby's brother-in-law, Wayan Widyartha, who is her guarantor, and he had “assured me there is no interview scheduled yet".

The comments square with what TV host Mike Willesee told journalists on Tuesday, that, though he was inside the compound with the Corby family, he had no idea when, or even if, the interview would take place.

The head of the Bali justice office told reporters that the fact Mercedes Corby was now separated from Wayan made no difference to his ability to be Schapelle's guarantor. However, if the couple divorced, the guarantor would have to become a member of her family.

A Law professor at Mahasaraswati University in Bali, Ketut Sukawati Lanang Perbawa, said the prospect of a paid interview was "an insult against Indonesia and against President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono as the symbol of Indonesia".

"SBY was kind, but the person he was kind to is being very naughty," Radar Bali newspaper quoted him as saying.

Professor Sukawati reflected a common misperception in Bali that, by staying outside the family compound, Corby was breaching her parole conditions and being given privileged treatment due to some deal between the Australian and Indonesian governments.

"Now she doesn't want to stay at the address, while in her guarantee letter she claimed to live there. For me, she should've been thrown to prison ... What's so special about Corby? What is it?" Professor Sukawati said.

Constant questioning on the matter from the Indonesian media is putting pressure on the Bali Corrections Board to crack down on Corby's family.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226824579744

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman flags proceeds of crime legislation may stop Schapelle Corby profiting from $2m media deal

ATTORNEY-GENERAL Jarrod Bleijie will take steps to block convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby from profiting through a $2 million deal with Channel Seven to tell her story.

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman today said he had asked Mr Bleijie to investigate whether state laws to block criminals profiting from their crimes could be applied to the Corby interview deal.

“I am deeply concerned, in fact I’m dismayed that a convicted drug criminal has benefited it appears from a criminal activity and I am asking the Attorney-General to see whether the Queensland legislation, the proceeds of crime legislation, may have some application,” Mr Newman said.

“What we are seeing here is a convicted criminal apparently benefiting from the criminal act,” he said.

“I have the greatest of respect for other countries’ justice systems and we just need to recognise that there was a trial in Indonesia, she was appropriately convicted, she went to jail, and now it appears she is benefiting from this act.

“I don’t think it is very satisfactory whether she can benefit from that.”

Corby left Indonesia’s Kerobokan Jail with her face well hidden from the media throng this week and reportedly striking a $2 million interview deal with Channel Seven.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #132
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Mercedes vs Schapelle

Who is more attractive?
Thats a horrible question, Id jump the fence.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #133
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Mercedes vs Schapelle

Who is more attractive?
Mercedes A M(assive) G(ob)

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #134
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
And what's the go with labelling Her a "filthy drug runner?" It was only a few kilos of weed? It's not like She was selling meth to pregnant teens...
Never seen a weed induced psychosis have you?

Whilst there are compelling arguments for legalised use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, it is by no means a harmless drug and no-one should fall into the trap of thinking it's *just* a little bit of pot.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #135
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mercedes vs Schapelle

Who is more attractive?
Merc can massage my feet and suck on my toes whilst Chapelle feeds me beers and does my cornrows

win
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #136
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karj View Post

Whilst there are compelling arguments for legalised use of marijuana for medicinal purposes, it is by no means a harmless drug and no-one should fall into the trap of thinking it's *just* a little bit of pot.
have you??
Old 12-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #137
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
have you??
Yes, scary ****.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #138
becchops
Secret Squirrel

Good on ya Rodp, while reading your post, here i am trying to squash this bloody ant thats running around my screen in the corner of my eye
Old 12-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #139
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, scary ****.
how many whopper meals did you eat
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #140
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive picked these from elsewhere... dont ya just love the net.....

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-02-2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: No
Tonz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #141
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Anything like alcohol induced aggression?

For the record, and I have been told this personally by a psychologist, marijuana does not cause psychosis.

It will amplify underlying issues though.

But that is the same as alcohol.
People refute the term alcohol induced violence as a defence and claim that offenders have underlying issues, how do the two differ.

Is it somehow more acceptable to drink grog and go off than to have a smoke of weed and go off?

Why is alcohol and cigarettes legal, yet weed isn't?

Alcohol causes cancer, diabetes, depression and more
Cigarettes cause cancer, eye disease and more
Both are addictive.

Marijuana does not contain carcinogens, it is however addictive, so is Coca Cola.

If the Government could package it and tax it, weed would be legal, don't kid yourself.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #142
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Anything like alcohol induced aggression?

For the record, and I have been told this personally by a psychologist, marijuana does not cause psychosis.

It will amplify underlying issues though.

But that is the same as alcohol.
People refute the term alcohol induced violence as a defence and claim that offenders have underlying issues, how do the two differ.

Is it somehow more acceptable to drink grog and go off than to have a smoke of weed and go off?

Why is alcohol and cigarettes legal, yet weed isn't?

Alcohol causes cancer, diabetes, depression and more
Cigarettes cause cancer, eye disease and more
Both are addictive.

Marijuana does not contain carcinogens, it is however addictive, so is Coca Cola.

If the Government could package it and tax it, weed would be legal, don't kid yourself.
This is not hard to do. If they wanted to do this, they would. The question as to why weed is not legal and alcohol is, is simple. I can have a few beers and not get off my face. The whole purpose of weed is to get high...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #143
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the purpose of alcohol?
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #144
nstg8a

Pot leaves 4x as much tar in the lungs as tobacco.

Read it on the inter web, must be true.

Fwiw I'm all for the govt legalising the stuff, could turn the ford factory into a giant pot factory, govt can tax the crapper out of it, win win
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #145
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
This is not hard to do. If they wanted to do this, they would. The question as to why weed is not legal and alcohol is, is simple. I can have a few beers and not get off my face. The whole purpose of weed is to get high...
You couldn't be further from the truth.

An experienced drinker can have a few and be barely affected by alcohol, a social drinker with a few under their belt may display the effects much more.

It is the same with marijuana, if a regular user has a smoke they can appear to handle it easily, a relative novice will feel and show the effects much more.

As for getting high, marijuana is a suppressant, it doesn't give you a high, induced stamina or cook your body like many manufactured drugs, if anything, it gives you a low.
You don't smoke a pipe and start bouncing around the room, quite the opposite in fact.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #146
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I would urge Corby to once again ignore the law

http://www.smh.com.au/national/indon...214-32npj.html

Indonesia bans Schapelle Corby from doing TV interview

The Indonesian government has banned Schapelle Corby from doing a television interview because it will cause "restlessness" in the local community.

If she goes ahead anyway, local authorities have threatened to revoke her parole and send her back to Kerobokan prison.

The unexpected intervention will throw into disarray the plans of both the Corby family and the Seven Network's Sunday Night program to make a fortune from the exclusive interview.

Deputy justice and human rights minister Denny Indrayana said in Bali late on Thursday that he and his minister were "of the same belief" that an interview would breach the regulations governing prisoners on parole.

"If you're going to do the interview, especially if it's going to be paid, it will cause ... restlessness in the community, so I have instructed the officer here at the Corrections Bureau to advise the family not to do it, because in the end, it will, to our understanding, cause polemic."

"It's going to cause polemic, so it's possible that we will revoke her parole."

Dr Denny's boss, the minister, Amir Syamsuddin, had earlier accused Corby of planning to "profit from something that will upset people".

Television journalist Mike Willesee, who since Monday has been waiting in the same luxury compound as Corby to interview the convicted drug smuggler, declined to comment to Fairfax Media immediately after Mr Denny's announcement.

Corby's parole conditions are simple, but government regulations allow broad political discretion for it to be revoked, including the "restlessness" clause, and Corby's behaviour since being released on Monday has caused anger in an election year, putting pressure on politicians to crack down on her.

Corby's choice of expensive accommodation rather than the family compound listed on parole documents, the interview and Tuesday's picture of her drinking beer in the clothes she was wearing when released from Kerobokan have all caused media and public controversy in Indonesia. The backlash includes accusations that the government has conspired with the Australian government to give her special treatment.

Dr Denny insisted that Corby "has her freedom of speech, but her release was with conditions".

In a statement before the Indonesian government intervention, Corby's sister Mercedes was oblivious of the pending order, saying: "When Schapelle is ready to speak, the parole officers will be informed."

The head of the Bali Corrections Bureau (Bapas), Ketut Artha, later said he had taken the deputy minister's advice as an instruction. He was likely to relay that to the Corby family on Friday morning.

"We might go there ... or we might speak to the guarantor [Corby's Balinese brother-in-law Wayan Widyartha]".

Mr Ketut, who has resolutely defended Corby's right to live where she wanted within Bali, has also now suggested that she move as soon as she is ready.

"Though she's not breaching any condition that we know of, we'll make a suggestion that she does not stay there after she's fit," he said.

The deputy speaker of Indonesia's house of representatives was quoted by Indonesian media on Thursday as doubting the integrity of the parole decision.

"It would appear there really has been international lobbying [in the Corby case]," he said.

The Indonesian President's parliamentary opponents are hoping to drag out the negative press in this election year.

The President is being criticised for, on the one hand, taking a tough anti-drugs line, while also issuing Corby a generous five-year remission on her sentence in 2012.

Several members of the parliament's legal affairs commission have foreshadowed an official parliamentary inquiry.

"Corby deserved the death penalty from the start," MP and committee member Sarifuddin Sudding said, while adding that an inquiry had widespread support and been canvassed privately.

Last night a member of the President's cabinet tweeted critically about Corby; communications minister Tifatul Sembiring described her as hiding her face "behind a veil of fantasy".

Meanwhile, the Indonesian media has been running hot with conspiracy theories about what motivated Corby's release, including that Corby was released to secure an assurance from Australia to stop wiretapping the phones of Indonesian officials.

Before the extraordinary Indonesian intervention, Mercedes Corby had said again that reports of a $2 million - $3 million payment for the exclusive were "ridiculous".

"Recent media reports about payment to Schapelle for an interview are completely wrong. The sums being reported are ridiculous," Mercedes said in a video shot by the Channel Seven network team in place for the Schapelle interview.

Mercedes also used the 42 second statement to hit back at Queensland Premier Campbell Newman, who is seeking to stop the family making any profit from the interview, because it is a proceed of crime.

"I am deeply concerned, in fact I am dismayed, that a convicted drug criminal has benefited it appears from her criminal activity,'' Mr Newman said on Wednesday.

Mercedes responded that, "Despite his comments", Mr Newman had been "so interested in this story that his government gave $567,000 for the production of a film for the Nine Network called Schapelle. This film was biased and inaccurate. It was based on a book where the major source was a convicted criminal".

Old 14-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #147
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol

cue Mercedes punching on again with camera crews

moving back in with her husband
Old 14-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #148
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Oh Dear, it had to happen -Schapelle Corgi

Last edited by GasoLane; 14-02-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 14-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #149
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

There's enough bad photoshop pics around with filling up this forum with them
Old 06-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #150
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVS3 View Post
Will some one please show this idiot how to commit suicide successfully then hopefully we wont have to listen to or see any more of her and her disgusting family!
pull your head in mate. yes, we are all sick of seeing the corby family in the news, but you shouldn't really make light of suicide.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post