Default Re: Best Aussie car of last 30 years

The Cockroach is now running second
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2023, 03:58 PM   #122
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Yep the VY does go well with low miles. I also find the black interior on base executive model has aged really well compared to those that came after it, looks much nicer now.
There's something to be said for the VY being the best modern day Commodore.

- Last Commodore with the Buick V6, much more reliable and better to drive than the Alloytec that followed
- Styling is crisp and fresh UNLIKE the blobby VE/VF that succeeded it

The only thing that it lacked was a V8 option for the Executive, which all previous Commodores had.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #123
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

AU V8 Fairmont in Sparkling Burgundy. Owned it for 9 years and was an exceptional car.
I'd still have it if i didn't get wiped out by a Bogan Commo Ute owner. Solid car that ended up saving my life.
Old 18-05-2023, 10:21 PM   #124
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Well close, Spitfires.
Or these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIkSbL83Rx4

That's the sound of freedom (from invasion)
Old 18-05-2023, 10:22 PM   #125
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Pretty good reviews on this Australian built car.
(Hard to find an unhappy owner actually)
Some are saying build quality and reliability outstanding.

We had ten of them in our fleet and can attest to the reliability.

https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...0-db-2005-2008
Did any of you own one of the AWD Magnas? What were they like? Always thought it was a good idea, and hoped they would do a wagon version.
Old 18-05-2023, 10:24 PM   #126
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
There's something to be said for the VY being the best modern day Commodore.

- Last Commodore with the Buick V6, much more reliable and better to drive than the Alloytec that followed
- Styling is crisp and fresh UNLIKE the blobby VE/VF that succeeded it

The only thing that it lacked was a V8 option for the Executive, which all previous Commodores had.
You might like the wagon example my Dad bought brand new in early 2004, just ticked over 120,000km. Total base model, wind up windows which is a huge bonus 20 years later...
Old 18-05-2023, 11:15 PM   #127
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was a hard decision to make as ive owned most Falcon models over the years but being a mechanic/technician at a Ford dealership since 1978 and owner of a few AU's im giving the vote to the AU. They hands down gave me the least amount of grief over the years. Special mention to the BA turbo, Territory ,the miami powered Falcons and the RTV utes.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2023, 12:27 AM   #128
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The GT-F was certainly a highlight for me. That car was different. It had a real street presence and quite a raw feel to the power delivery. The owners were also a different breed. They were also finished better than regular Falcons and obviously got a bit more tlc on the production line. I’ve been lucky enough to drive half a dozen of these beasts and I’ll never forget it.

Some may argue the Sprint 6 is really the best Aussie car because the V8 isn’t Australian. That’s probably a valid point. But to me it was a little too subtle and lacked presence on the road. Some may like that. I’ve hardly driven any of these further than around the block.

However. The. Best. Aussie. Car. Of. All. Time. Is….. my 2015 SZ II Barra powered Territory. I love it.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #129
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU and Territory are still neck and neck, and the AU vote is mentioning the substance of the cars, interesting
Old 19-05-2023, 05:52 PM   #130
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

AU vs Territory. I think that is a clear vote of style over substance. Love both, only one could get mentioned as the 'best' with any hindsight...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2023, 09:32 PM   #131
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted Territory. It was the direction the Aussie industry needed to move towards and Ford did very well to get onto it and made a very good product.

Second place to VE/VF. The VE dug the $1b trench and the VF laid the pipe at least in Redline trim.

It's a shame all round when Aussie manufacturing was producing the best we have ever had that it was closed down :(
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2023, 10:35 PM   #132
cycle myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

The Barra and Miami powered Falcons were brilliant. The king of the performance heap was the W1 though. I just wish we had of had the money to pour into the Sprints as HSV had to pour into the W1.
Yes. With greater management appetite and funding the Sprints and other pre-concepts would have taken the gong and I believe dethroned the phase III.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2023, 08:45 AM   #133
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth View Post
Yes. With greater management appetite and funding the Sprints and other pre-concepts would have taken the gong and I believe dethroned the phase III.
Unpopular opinion.
I think the Phase 3 has been dethroned numerous times.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #134
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I'm going to add an honourable mention for the EcoLPi powered Falcons.

They hardly bothered the sales charts and I doubt more than a few thousand were sold over the ~5 years (from July 2011) they were on sale but they advanced the LPG vehicle into the 21st century and removed nearly all the drawbacks of the vapour systems that had been around in Australia for 5 decades plus.

That they produced more power than the petrol version of the I6 (and that could have been a lot more than it was) while not suffering any increase in consumption and using a fuel that still costs less than half the cost of diesel and ~60% that of petrol makes them a bargain to run.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2023, 03:22 PM   #135
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy one, the VF, especially in Series 2 V8 Form.. Redline for Holden, any HSV, but especially the W1. A way better all rounder than the FGX.

Territory deserves a very special mention, a truly epic SUV, before we went completely SUV mad. The perfect family car for our Aussie conditions. If they still made them I would 100% have one in the garage as our family truck.

Barra Turbo needs a metion. Not a car, but (again, IMHO) the best engine Australia has ever made... So much tuning potential, and they sound awesome with some work. The yanks are starting to like them as well..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2023, 04:13 PM   #136
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

Soft spot for me was my Tickford 220kw xr8, never spent a cent on it bar consumables for servicing, loved to drive it , more comfortable than my g6et.

The g6ET is my pick over xr8 basically for its economy v power balance, like the look, goes when you need it, smooth and so far very reliable, no problems so far, same as xr8

My territory , done nearly 3 times the k's of the falcons, been a solid work horse, treated like a work horse, towed with it, travelled distances with it, kids grew up in it, never let me down , ever, will be sad when it goes. she needs rear bushes, door rubbers are sagging, paint starting to peel on rear lift window, but overall for the sheer work and punishment its had, the old girl gets my vote.

What do I replace it with? might spend a few dollars and keep it another 15 years
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #137
vixf6

To be the best for me it has to be aesthetically pleasing, this rules out FGX and AU, I don’t smile when I see these. That leaves Terry, FG 1 or 2 and VF. Add a turbo and a a bit of styling like the Panda Eyes of the F6, and give it 310Kw and it has it all, silent but deadly, the sheer force of these things at sweet spots of 80-120 for a stock vehicle @$60k with that ZF has to be driven to be appreciated.

The only car that was close for me was LSA Clubsport, had the looks and sheer grunt to rival the F6 but for $25k more brings me back to FG F6, the only car that has me wanting to buy exactly the same one a second time.

Terry comes in a close second but in Barra form you need a second job to fuel the thing
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2023, 07:26 PM   #138
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Unpopular opinion.
I kind of agree. But.............

I think if we are looking at the Ford that made the most impact, and is remembered/mentioned the most, it's the Phase III.

As a performance car, obviously the newer turbo and supercharged V8's are "superior", but apart from the original BA XR6 Turbo, the later stuff didn't have the knockout blow to the competition like the Phase III did.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #139
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Unpopular opinion.
I don’t think it has. I don’t directly compare cars from different eras as of course a car built with 40 years of technological and engineering advancements is going to be better.

What I compare is the impact and standing they have in their eras over their competitors, compared to the ones that came before and after. And on that the Phase 3 wins it, just over the XR6 Turbo.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2023, 11:04 PM   #140
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I don’t think it has. I don’t directly compare cars from different eras as of course a car built with 40 years of technological and engineering advancements is going to be better.

What I compare is the impact and standing they have in their eras over their competitors, compared to the ones that came before and after. And on that the Phase 3 wins it, just over the XR6 Turbo.
I agree with your sentiments that we shouldn't compare cars from different eras, without considering the available technology of the day.

However, I do disagree with a narrow interpretation of what "best" actually is.

Sure the GTHO produced a lot of power for its day (somewhere in the region of 260 to 280 kW). However, the Territory FPV F6X produced 270 kW, while complying with very erroneous pollution controls and only burning unleaded petrol.

The GTHO Phase 3 does the standing quarter in 14.2. The Territory FPV F6X does the standing quarter in 13.3 s @ 111.2 mph; whilst running pollution controls, whilst pushing a much heavier 2000kg+, blunt nose SUV body down the track.

Lets be realistic. Ford spent money on both the GTHO and the Territory with only one purpose in mind. To make a handsome profit on its investment. Everything else is marketing spin (e.g. blue flag fluttering in the breeze as Ford crosses first at Bathurst).

Development teams for both the GTHO and The Territory F6X raided the parts bin, to do "go faster" on the cheap, and stuck go faster bits on standard passenger vehicles. Only a few could afford to buy one, and numbers were very limited. But both certainly raised Ford's brand awareness.

For me, the criteria to judge what is the "best" Aussie car is to understand which car made the biggest leap forward (of its time) to position that brand for ongoing sales.

The GTHO Phase 3, as fast as it was around the race track, was just an iteration of the XY GT, which was an iteration of the XY.

The Territory is in another class of business thinking and engineering. FoA had a long hard think about where the car market was going. They came up with the answer of "big sedans are dying, it will be SUV".

Next, FoA raided the existing parts bin (engine, transmission, etc) while crafted a new shell around it. But this time concentrating on the layout, packaging, ergonomics, etc, etc, in the shape of an SUV.

When it was released, the Territory was a super controversial decision of its day. The typical left wing media (think SMH, The Age, ABC) absolutely panned it. Greenies bemoaned the Americanisation of Australian family cars. Wheels had a lot of explaining to do why that gave it car of the year.

Whereas the GTHO Phase 3 was an incremental engineering jump. The VE Commodore, as good as it is, was just another engineering iteration, albeit a $1B iteration, of the family sedan.

Whereas the Ford Territory is different. The Territory's development was a calculated business risk that leveraged some incredible engineering done on a modest budget. It was done with a long term view to provide a sales platform that could keep the production line running longer with both sedan and SUV variants as the local Australian market evolved.

And that is why, in my view, the Territory is the best Aussie car in the last 30 years.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #141
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m not sure I agree, but your post is wonderfully written and enjoyable to read - thank you!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2023, 05:02 AM   #142
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned One View Post
Soft spot for me was my Tickford 220kw xr8, never spent a cent on it bar consumables for servicing, loved to drive it , more comfortable than my g6et.

The g6ET is my pick over xr8 basically for its economy v power balance, like the look, goes when you need it, smooth and so far very reliable, no problems so far, same as xr8

My territory , done nearly 3 times the k's of the falcons, been a solid work horse, treated like a work horse, towed with it, travelled distances with it, kids grew up in it, never let me down , ever, will be sad when it goes. she needs rear bushes, door rubbers are sagging, paint starting to peel on rear lift window, but overall for the sheer work and punishment its had, the old girl gets my vote.

What do I replace it with? might spend a few dollars and keep it another 15 years
3 very good cars mentioned there. We've done the spend to keep our Territory going for many more years, because we know the car (bought new, never crashed) it is an easy choice to do this. Closest replacement (none are truly close) for the petrol AWD at the Territory price points would be a Subaru Outback for my money, but you get a CVT ugh. Outbacks are very nice in top spec and now have the 2.4 turbo which puts out Barra power and torque.

I remember in 2002 when AU was running out the Horsham dealer had a Blueprint AUIII XR8 auto sitting in the yard, how I daydreamed while working based out of the town...
Old 21-05-2023, 05:21 AM   #143
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I agree with your sentiments that we shouldn't compare cars from different eras, without considering the available technology of the day.

Sure the GTHO produced a lot of power for its day (somewhere in the region of 260 to 280 kW). However, the Territory FPV F6X produced 270 kW, while complying with very erroneous pollution controls and only burning unleaded petrol.

The GTHO Phase 3 does the standing quarter in 14.2. The Territory FPV F6X does the standing quarter in 13.3 s @ 111.2 mph; whilst running pollution controls, whilst pushing a much heavier 2000kg+, blunt nose SUV body down the track.

Lets be realistic. Ford spent money on both the GTHO and the Territory with only one purpose in mind. To make a handsome profit on its investment. Everything else is marketing spin (e.g. blue flag fluttering in the breeze as Ford crosses first at Bathurst).

Development teams for both the GTHO and The Territory F6X raided the parts bin, to do "go faster" on the cheap, and stuck go faster bits on standard passenger vehicles. Only a few could afford to buy one, and numbers were very limited. But both certainly raised Ford's brand awareness.

For me, the criteria to judge what is the "best" Aussie car is to understand which car made the biggest leap forward (of its time) to position that brand for ongoing sales.

The GTHO Phase 3, as fast as it was around the race track, was just an iteration of the XY GT, which was an iteration of the XY.

The Territory is in another class of business thinking and engineering. FoA had a long hard think about where the car market was going. They came up with the answer of "big sedans are dying, it will be SUV".

Next, FoA raided the existing parts bin (engine, transmission, etc) while crafted a new shell around it. But this time concentrating on the layout, packaging, ergonomics, etc, etc, in the shape of an SUV.

When it was released, the Territory was a super controversial decision of its day. The typical left wing media (think SMH, The Age, ABC) absolutely panned it. Greenies bemoaned the Americanisation of Australian family cars. Wheels had a lot of explaining to do why that gave it car of the year.

Whereas the GTHO Phase 3 was an incremental engineering jump. The VE Commodore, as good as it is, was just another engineering iteration, albeit a $1B iteration, of the family sedan.

Whereas the Ford Territory is different. The Territory's development was a calculated business risk that leveraged some incredible engineering done on a modest budget. It was done with a long term view to provide a sales platform that could keep the production line running longer with both sedan and SUV variants as the local Australian market evolved.

And that is why, in my view, the Territory is the best Aussie car in the last 30 years.
Brilliant post. Are/were you in any position to say why they gave it such a good ride/handling balance while re-imagining everything and taking a big punt on it?

I remember reading it was sent to Finland in the snow for ABS development (hi-hat BA mules) and calibrated there. At the same time, Ford had an ethos of having cars that handled well, fun to drive so that might have been a goal. Whatever it was, the Terry is still completely brilliant in the snow and on the winding roads to get up there.

Also, I remember reading that 3 of them did the Gibb river road at high speed in development?

Would they have embarked on such a program if the response to the AU hadn't sent them soul-searching so much?
Old 21-05-2023, 05:46 AM   #144
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I note there is no-one mentioning the Cruze...

Or the Adventra for that matter. As a juxtaposition to the Territory it's really interesting! Edit: might as well include the creativity in all of Peter Hannenberger's extra variants of the VT-Z: the Crewman (anticipating the dual cab ute, but not really being what the market wanted?) the rebirth of the One Tonner, the rebirth of the Overlander as the Adventra, and AWD on all of these. Combined with the Monaro, it was very much like the Kingswood era and every spin-off you could think of, had come again. And it didn't work, perhaps?

Last edited by Sprintey; 21-05-2023 at 05:55 AM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2023, 07:23 AM   #145
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:

Or the Adventra for that matter. As a juxtaposition to the Territory it's really interesting! Edit: might as well include the creativity in all of Peter Hannenberger's extra variants of the VT-Z: the Crewman (anticipating the dual cab ute, but not really being what the market wanted?) the rebirth of the One Tonner, the rebirth of the Overlander as the Adventra, and AWD on all of these. Combined with the Monaro, it was very much like the Kingswood era and every spin-off you could think of, had come again. And it didn't work, perhaps?
I liked the Adventra, but i heard it described as the answer to a question noone asked.

Wonder what resale values are like? Especially compared to a Territory.

Edit: soft, if a quick scan of gumtree is of any use, which surprises me.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 21-05-2023 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Afterthought
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2023, 08:15 AM   #146
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

Yeah thats fair enough too, totally understand that view point of comparing cars from different eras. I guess i dont know enough about the P3 (Its a fair few years before my time), whereas the T6 is more my age hence my comment.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2023, 08:32 AM   #147
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Brilliant post. Are/were you in any position to say why they gave it such a good ride/handling balance while re-imagining everything and taking a big punt on it?
Sorry, no. I am not inside the industry at all. Just a sparkie, who my later years, has studied how business do things.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #148
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

I think that Monaro, and Maloo for that matter, could have been more successful but needed to be more successful in America. There are reasons for them not being successful, but I won't clog this thread up with some of those reasons.

I think that Adventura and Crew Cab were not successful for two reasons - they were not properly executed and maybe just slightly before their time.

These days, people are jacking up their Falcon wagons (including me) and taking them places that most modern day 4x4s (in standard form) would not dare to go.

I think the crew cab these days as a V8 with AWD in a VF model would be moderately popular. Maybe I am completely wrong.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #149
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Yep, Id toss between the G6ET & RTV, but Im biased.
The Tuo G6 is just immaculate motoring on the Hwys & the RTV is my go anywhere vehicle.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #150
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post

Hard to argue with any of this, great post!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post