Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2023, 09:19 PM   #121
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

XR8 continued, these rolling shots of a Vixen Red example...................

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2023, 09:31 PM   #122
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still a great looking car especially that front clip with those wheels and the bonnet bulge (IMO).
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2023, 09:51 PM   #123
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Still a great looking car especially that front clip with those wheels and the bonnet bulge (IMO).
The XR frontal treatment was very crisply detailed, I especially loved the "cheek bones" above the fog lights. You know, everyone foamed at the mouth over the VE's flared out front guards, but the FG had them too, just in a more refined and smoothly executed manner.

I also love that line which runs from the front side repeater, through the doors and into the rear quarter where it sweeps into the boot. XR's tend to disguise that with a spoiler.

The only thing that let the styling down was that massive front overhang, and to a lesser extent, the fat rear bumper. You will note most of the FG images were of the front or rear 3/4 viewing because of that.

I remember Steve Park commenting at the time that the FG Falcon was more timelessly elegant and more easily updated when compared to the Commodore, or words to that effect. Which sort of proved correct, as the whole VE design revolved around those front guards. Then look at the visual difference Ford delivered with the FGX without changing the rear quarter panel.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #124
Swordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I think the main reason for the taller diff ratios for the Barra 230 was the truncated rev limit of that particular engine. The earlier Barra 220 hit the limiter at 5250 rpm, the 230 was raised to 5500 rpm. (Although, that could have been the "transient" rev limiter that was brough along with the ZF, as other models with that gearbox picked up an effective 250rpm increase. For example, under full throttle, the engine and gearbox would hit 6250 before the next gear arrived on a Barra I6 or Boss engine.) With the much shorter gears of the ZF, it would have been constantly changing gears and wouldn't have made good use of that huge low-end torque. With the 220, that ultra tall gears of the BTR went the other way with the shorter 3.23 ratio working fine.

I love this stuff by the way.
I have the BA G220. I saw one when it was first released. i thought it looked really cool. The 3v 5.4 suits the car, it is a cruiser with torque. You put your foot down and there is enough acceleration with nice sound from the exhaust. Lots of people talk about how fantastic the ZF is with the 3V. I find the BTR works quite well. The interior of the Fairlane is still a really nice place to sit. The stereo sounds really good for a stock system.

It is interesting comparing the suspension on the Fairlane to my VY Wagon with FE2. The Ford has more sophistication ride over bumps. The VY out handles the Ford going fast.

I have also had a drive of a BA FPV Ute. The 3v felt like it had a bit more torque down low. The FPV would rev harder and handled better. The FPV was a fun car.

Thanks for all the pics.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2023, 10:33 PM   #125
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordie View Post
I have the BA G220. I saw one when it was first released. i thought it looked really cool. The 3v 5.4 suits the car, it is a cruiser with torque. You put your foot down and there is enough acceleration with nice sound from the exhaust. Lots of people talk about how fantastic the ZF is with the 3V. I find the BTR works quite well. The interior of the Fairlane is still a really nice place to sit. The stereo sounds really good for a stock system.

It is interesting comparing the suspension on the Fairlane to my VY Wagon with FE2. The Ford has more sophistication ride over bumps. The VY out handles the Ford going fast.

I have also had a drive of a BA FPV Ute. The 3v felt like it had a bit more torque down low. The FPV would rev harder and handled better. The FPV was a fun car.

Thanks for all the pics.
You can trace a direct downward line to display how the Premium Sound system degraded between model series.

AU Premium Sound was fantastic, good base and nice clarity, great volume. I Premium Sound on my TS50, even the Prestige Sound 6-speaker system in my Fairmont was pretty good.

BA Premium Sound, the missing link for me as I haven't had or listened to one with it.

FG Premium Sound, good but clearly not as good as the AU system. I will say it does deliver plenty of base, almost too much sometimes.

FGX - easily the worst sound system in any of the cars I have owned or driven. It would be acceptable if it weren't labelled as Premium Sound. No bass, no volume, very muddy in delivery. Even my Ranger with 4 speakers and no amp and no sub sounds better.
Mustang GT

Old 20-12-2023, 11:02 PM   #126
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The XR frontal treatment was very crisply detailed, I especially loved the "cheek bones" above the fog lights. You know, everyone foamed at the mouth over the VE's flared out front guards, but the FG had them too, just in a more refined and smoothly executed manner.

I also love that line which runs from the front side repeater, through the doors and into the rear quarter where it sweeps into the boot. XR's tend to disguise that with a spoiler.

The only thing that let the styling down was that massive front overhang, and to a lesser extent, the fat rear bumper. You will note most of the FG images were of the front or rear 3/4 viewing because of that.

I remember Steve Park commenting at the time that the FG Falcon was more timelessly elegant and more easily updated when compared to the Commodore, or words to that effect. Which sort of proved correct, as the whole VE design revolved around those front guards. Then look at the visual difference Ford delivered with the FGX without changing the rear quarter panel.
Yes the FG front over hang is quite prominent especially on the XRs with the front lip.
My gripe with them in XR guise is the rather tacky blue highlights on the outer diameter of the speedo and tacho. It’s just one of those features that don’t age too well 15 years on.
Despite owning one in the past that blue in the instrument cluster ruled me out buying an FG XR Ute when I was in the market a while back. FG2 tidied it up better.
FG interior was nothing special but a decent place to be. Much more preferable than VE and VE2 which haven’t aged too well IMO.
Old 20-12-2023, 11:23 PM   #127
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Yes the FG front over hang is quite prominent especially on the XRs with the front lip.
My gripe with them in XR guise is the rather tacky blue highlights on the outer diameter of the speedo and tacho. It’s just one of those features that don’t age too well 15 years on.
Despite owning one in the past that blue in the instrument cluster ruled me out buying an FG XR Ute when I was in the market a while back. FG2 tidied it up better.
FG interior was nothing special but a decent place to be. Much more preferable than VE and VE2 which haven’t aged too well IMO.
Really? I love the blue crayon outline.

I get it though. I remember a journalist at the time describing the interior as being inspired by Fisher Price, in particular referencing the colour screen and blue outline around the dials.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2023, 12:12 AM   #128
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really? I love the blue crayon outline.

I get it though. I remember a journalist at the time describing the interior as being inspired by Fisher Price, in particular referencing the colour screen and blue outline around the dials.

I must admit they do look better at night, quite similar to FG2.
I just had a look at a video I took of my FG XR8 0-200 one night around 10 years ago to confirm.
Old 21-12-2023, 03:17 PM   #129
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey DFB - do you have info on running changes during SZ - SZII Territory that will eventually come up?

Just noticed difference in screen size on SZII TXs from 2014 and 2016.

I'll send through those scans today too.

Cheers
Old 21-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #130
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

They chose that over this. Unbelievable.
Yep unbelievable. This was just total hero stuff for me back in 2000-2. Hillier brothers also did a conversion.
Old 21-12-2023, 07:11 PM   #131
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Hey DFB - do you have info on running changes during SZ - SZII Territory that will eventually come up?

Just noticed difference in screen size on SZII TXs from 2014 and 2016.

I'll send through those scans today too.

Cheers
This is the SZ MK II to the very end. I have to say, it was sad when I could no longer contribute to those spreadsheets for Falcon and Territory.

A couple of things to note, Fog lamps reappeared on the flagship (Titanium) instead of those utterly pointless "position lights" on SZ. All models got Sync 2, which replaced the FG MK II style system on SZ. Sat Nav was made standard on base models in April 2015.

Mustang GT

Old 21-12-2023, 07:31 PM   #132
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is the SZ MK II to the very end. I have to say, it was sad when I could no longer contribute to those spreadsheets for Falcon and Territory.

A couple of things to note, Fog lamps reappeared on the flagship (Titanium) instead of those utterly pointless "position lights" on SZ. All models got Sync 2, which replaced the FG MK II style system on SZ. Sat Nav was made standard on base models in April 2015.

Thanks so much. A further point on the transmission: the highway consumptions for the 195 Barra and 6HP21 are 7.3 to 7.9 depending on model... the SY AWD does 10.5, low 10's if we are lucky. That's up to 30% improvement which is remarkable. Factor in petrol being cheaper than diesel, and a trip I did in a previous model diesel X Trail where I couldn't get better than high 7's on the highway, and for the size of car and petrol motor, and overall cost, it's pretty good! Mate's new diesel Prado does 8's, the 2003 VY Ecotec does mid 8's in the wagon - again, the petrol Terry is pretty good! I think the diesel Terry does 6's which is great, too.
Old 21-12-2023, 09:23 PM   #133
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG Falcon Ute.

While Job 1 for the FG Sedan was the 22nd of April 2008, the Ute went into production on the 8th of May 2008. The transition from BF MK II to FG Ute was a little more straight forward than of the sedan. There were some changes to the core lineup though.

- The mid-spec XLS nameplate was dropped for the R6.

- The popular RTV was no longer offered, nor would it return, I guess it was easier for Ford to sell a Ranger instead.

- The entry level model lost the XL designation, now simply known as the Falcon Ute.

- The XR lineup continued as before, although the cab chassis variant became a full-time model.

All exterior panels were new, the exception being the tailgate, for which Ford copped flack for the exposed hinges. You can bet that if Holden hadn’t put concealed hinges on the VE Ute that no one would have said a word about them. Typical media behavior. The new tail lamps were repurposed from the US-market Explorer. The entry level Falcon got the base front bumper from the XT sedan but got a diamond cross hatch grill insert. There was also basic black unpainted side skirts and rear bumper. XR models were identical to the sedan from the A pillar forward, but had unique side skirts and rear bumper, and the side badges were fitted in front of the rear wheels on the tub. For Style Side Box models, the old elastic loop tonneau cover was replaced by a more modern magnetic version.

Interiors largely mirrored the sedan counterparts with most of it all new. The 3-seat bench seat and column auto were carried into the FG generation too. Ford capped the rear air vent ports on the back of the console was a rather tacked on storage bin, and the brilliantly innovative Cabin Tidy continued to be offered.

The new R6 was a bit of a mixed bag or parts bin special. It had the same front end as the base Falcon but gained fog lamps. It then used the XR side skirts, XR rear bumper, XR6 chrome exhaust tip and painted wing mirrors.
The R6 also used the XR chassis tune and ride height, which sort of looks funny with the 16-inch wheels. On the interior, it had the G6 instrument cluster and leather steering wheel, XR satin aluminum trim, and XR seats with a unique trim material, minus the XR embroidery. In November 2009, Ford actually removed the unique trim for the same black mesh-style XR cloth instead. The same applied to the Falcon Ute, it reverting to the same material as the XT Sedan. Cost cutting and rationalizing in full swing.

Safety wise, the Falcon Ute did not get curtain airbags in any variant. Ford were smart about this in that they designed the seat mounted side airbag to extend up to the roof, effectively creating a curtain airbag in all but name. Instead of reporting it like that, the media instead crucified Ford for not having curtain airbags on the Ute. DSC did not appear initially on any model, but appeared as standard on XR’s and optional on R6 by September 2008. It was then rolled out across the other models in the following months, including its calibration on EGAS equipped cars. (Because of the older venturi style injection on the EGAS engine, that proved problematic with a DSC/TC calibration due to the possibility of causing a backfire. Not sure how they achieved it in the end though.)

All FG sedan powertrains carried into the Ute models. That also meant the base model got a 6-speed manual, in effect retiring the old T5. The only other thing to note was the unavailability of the 6-speed auto on the naturally aspirated I6, differing from the sedan series where it was available as a cost option on XT, G6 and XR6.

Also worth noting that there were no special edition FG Falcon Utes aimed at the tradesman. In previous AU, BA and BF Falcon Utes, Ford offered a steady stream of value-add packs on XL and XLS models, think SE, Tradesman and Marlin editions. There were a couple based on XR6 and XR6 Turbo though.

Most of the base models Falcon Ute's represented below are with the optional 16-inch wheels.

All 4-speed and 5-speed FG Falcon's (sedan and Ute) had the below transmission selector without the leather accent trim. For those with a 6-speed auto, XR models had that piece in perforated leather, and XT and G-Series had it in smooth leather.

Note the Focus gear knob on this R6 interior................

Mustang GT

Old 21-12-2023, 09:29 PM   #134
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG Falcon Ute continued, XR6 and XR6 Turbo.......................

Not mentioned in the previous post, all FG XR Utes had the ugly 17-inch wheels as standard, the XR6 Turbo and XR8 differing from the sedan by not having the 18-inch wheels. Both 18-inch and 19-inch wheels were optional across all.

Mustang GT

Old 21-12-2023, 09:30 PM   #135
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG Falcon Ute continued, the XR8.........................

Mustang GT

Old 21-12-2023, 09:43 PM   #136
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG Falcon Ute continued...................

Worth noting that EGAS engines lost the glossy green painted rocker cover in April 2009, for a short period replaced by a piece of green tape to denote it's difference on the line. (EGAS engines fitted to FG's had the older BF rocker cover and not the smoother FG variant). The Turbo engine lost the glossy red rocker cover at the same time, replaced by satin red.

All FG Falcon's transitioned to a new combined key and fob, replacing the two piece items used previously.

The XR6 Limited Edition arrived in July 2011 and featured 18'' BA MK II Typhoon alloy wheels, unique accent colour for front bumper inserts and fog lamp surrounds, sports bar with tonneau cover, leather trim and 7'' colour command screen. Only offered on the N/A XR6.

Mustang GT

Old 23-12-2023, 09:14 PM   #137
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The 50th Anniversary Falcon’s -

I’m skipping forward a little here in my FG era images, rest assured, the FPV range is on the way.

The Ford Falcon was one of a handful of cars to have reached 50 years of unbroken, continuous production. I would argue that the Falcon was one of the longest running consumer goods full stop! Production of the Falcon commenced for the Australian market on the 28th of June 1960 at the then brand new Broadmeadows assembly plant, before officially going on sale September 14th. Fifty years and seven generations later, in 2010 the Falcon was celebrated with a line of special additions.

From a press release published March 31st 2010 -

“2010 is a very special year for Ford in Australia," said Ford Australia Marketing, Sales & Service Vice President Beth Donovan.
"In addition to celebrating the 50th birthday of Falcon, we are also marking our 85th year as a company in Australia."

The Official 50th Anniversary Press Release –

Ford Commemorates 50 Years of Falcon
Thu, Apr 29, 2010

Ford Australia is set to release a range of exciting anniversary models to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the iconic Falcon nameplate.

Falcon, the longest running vehicle name in Australian motoring history, will mark its 50 year milestone on June 28, half a century after the first XK Falcon rolled off Ford Australia's Broadmeadows production line to begin the Falcon legend.

Production of the special 50th anniversary models will also commence in June, with each model featuring unique exterior design elements, exclusive interior finishes and additional standard equipment.

"The Falcon's long and distinguished heritage is unmatched by any other car in the history of Australian motoring," said Ford Australia Marketing, Sales & Service Vice President Beth Donovan.

"50 years of continuity in any industry is a remarkable achievement, but it's especially rare in a dynamic field like the car industry."

The Falcon 50th anniversary range will include G Series and XR models, with six individual variants available across both sedan and Ute bodystyles:

G6E 50th Anniversary
G6E Turbo 50th Anniversary
Falcon XR6 50th Anniversary sedan
Falcon XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary sedan
Falcon XR6 50th Anniversary Ute
Falcon XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary Ute
Falcon XR 50th Anniversary

The Falcon XR 50th Anniversary sedan models will feature unique "Dark Stealth" colour accents on the upper and lower grilles, fog lamp bezels and rear bumper insert, and "Medium Stealth" accents on the alloy wheels, along with high series side mirrors with integrated indicators and G6-spec tail lamps.

Bespoke anniversary features for the exterior include "XR50" badging, XR50 body stripes and a "50th Anniversary" fender feature, while on the inside there is an embroidered XR50 logo on the seats, XR50 carpet mats and door scuff plates, and 50th Anniversary instrument cluster graphics.
Other highlights include special interior trim on the centre console, Interior Command Centre (ICC), instrument panel and front door spears, along with standard dual zone climate control and high series sports leather steering wheel.

Features specific to the Falcon XR6 50th Anniversary include new partial leather seat trim and 18-inch XR alloy wheels with the detail accent treatment.

The Falcon XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary receives new leather-detailed seat trim, premium audio system, reverse sensing system and 19-inch XR alloy wheels with striking, full colour accent treatment.

Falcon XR 50th Anniversary Ute models receive the same list of exterior and interior appointments, respective to their sedan counterparts, with the exclusion of sedan-specific items – the rear bumper insert, high series side mirrors, 50th Anniversary fender feature and G6-spec tail lamps, as well as reverse sensing system on the Turbo model.

Ford G Series 50th Anniversary

G Series 50th Anniversary models also feature unique accent colour treatments with "Medium Stealth" touches on the upper and lower grilles, and rear bumper insert, plus "Light Stealth" accents on the fog lamp bezels and alloy wheels.

Bespoke anniversary features for the G Series models includes new leather detailed seat trim with embroidered "50th Anniversary" logos, 50th Anniversary badge, fender feature and carpet floor mats, along with special interior trim on the centre console, ICC, instrument panel and front door spears.

Additional equipment extends to standard fitment of a satellite navigation system with Suna Traffic Channel and G Series 19-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels with detailed accent treatment.

Production of XR 50th Anniversary models will commence in June, with G Series 50th Anniversary models to follow in July.

A new exterior paint colour will be introduced in conjunction with the release of the Falcon 50th Anniversary range. Called "Sunburst", the new XR hero paint will be the launch colour for the XR 50th Anniversary models – Sunburst is an intense and saturated effervescent burnt orange with metallic orange/gold highlights.

G Series 50th Anniversary models will be available in two new prestige paint colours to be introduced for the FG Falcon range in May and August. Arriving first is "Havana", a soft neutral mocha metallic with smoky brown graduated hues and a dark, deeper bronze highlight.

Coming on line in August, "Edge" is a dark charcoal with a hint of blue that features a dark, sparkling luxury metallic highlight.

"Recommended pricing for the Falcon 50th Anniversary range will be announced closer to the on sale date, but as with previous limited edition models, customers can expect these special vehicles to come with some equally special pricing that will deliver exceptional value for money," Ms Donovan said.

First six-cylinder engine -

The timing of today's announcement also marks 50 years since the first inline six-cylinder engine was produced at Ford's Geelong engine plant.

The 144 cubic inch (2.4-litre) overhead valve (OHV) engine developed 67 kilowatts of power when it was introduced, which was class-leading at the time but only average for a 1.5-litre four-cylinder today.

By comparison, the advanced design of today's Falcon engine would have been unimaginable back in 1960, with high-tech features like a dual mode split plenum composite intake manifold, fast burn cylinder head, double overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and dual independent variable camshaft timing (DI-VCT).

Half a century on the Falcon's six-cylinder engine produces almost three times the power and more than twice the peak torque, while being significantly more fuel efficient despite a 50 per cent increase in total vehicle mass.

Originally, the 50th Anniversary models consisted of special edition XR6 and XR6 Turbo Sedans, XR6 and XR6 Turbo Utes, G6E and G6E Turbo Sedans, all released in June 2010. A 50th Anniversary G6 was later added in November 2010 and followed the same them set by previous limited edition G6’s. Too many to list here, but all models featured numerous exterior and interior enhancements, including the award winning 50th Anniversary seat designs.

Production Break Down -

XR6 50th Anniversary Sedan – 2700
XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary Sedan – 600

XR6 50th Anniversary Ute – 520
XR6 Turbo 50th Anniversary Ute – 230

G6E 50th Anniversary Sedan – 550
G6E Turbo 50th Anniversary Sedan – 200
G6 50th Anniversary Sedan – 1600

Interestingly, these were some of the very last cars to be feature the “Falcon” badge, Ford began downplaying the nameplate in later production, specifically the XR models and only the base XT sedan and Ute featured a Falcon badge. Sinful in my opinion.

It would have been easy write these special editions off as simply sticker packs, but there was a lot of substance to these cars, especially on the interior. Some believe these to some of the best made Falcon's ever.
Mustang GT

Old 23-12-2023, 09:18 PM   #138
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

50th Anniversary continued........................

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2023, 10:04 PM   #139
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A good mate of mine just purchased a winter white xr50 turbo Ute with ZF. Popped around today to show me. I didn't realise how rare some of these are!
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 06:51 AM   #140
Mainforcepatrol

Quote:
You can trace a direct downward line to display how the Premium Sound system degraded between model series.

AU Premium Sound was fantastic, good base and nice clarity, great volume. I Premium Sound on my TS50, even the Prestige Sound 6-speaker system in my Fairmont was pretty good.

BA Premium Sound, the missing link for me as I haven't had or listened to one with it.

FG Premium Sound, good but clearly not as good as the AU system. I will say it does deliver plenty of base, almost too much sometimes.

FGX - easily the worst sound system in any of the cars I have owned or driven. It would be acceptable if it weren't labelled as Premium Sound. No bass, no volume, very muddy in delivery. Even my Ranger with 4 speakers and no amp and no sub sounds better.

I had the Premium Sound on my BA XR8 and it was very good with nice clarity.FG/FGX it went south.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2023, 05:15 PM   #141
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post
I had the Premium Sound on my BA XR8 and it was very good with nice clarity.FG/FGX it went south.
Good to know.

I haven't been unhappy with the FG Premium Sound, but it's not quite as good as the AU stuff. I would actually say the system in my FG is the best of my fleet, even compared to the Meridian system in the Jaguar, the separate amplifier and subwoofer would be responsible for that.

When I got my FGX, my heart sank when I cranked the audio for the first time, it's just so lean on every measurement. Strangely, the combined output of FG through FGX for the premium system was a stated 262 watts with 8 speakers, AU and BA-F had 250 watts and 11 speakers. I don't know what they did for FGX, because it sucks!

These are the various audio systems offered throughout the Falcon/FPV/Fairlane lineup from AU to FGX.

Mustang GT

Old 24-12-2023, 06:44 PM   #142
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The FG FPV Range…………………….

As touched on in a previous post, images of the forthcoming FPV versions of project Orion surfaced almost a year before the new FG range went on sale in 2008. Apparently, these images were found at a landfill, which is almost to unbelievable to be true……………………

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...ish-dump-4460/

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...n-fg-fpv-scoop

Not only did this leak ruin the impact of the new FPV models, it had the same effect on the rest of the new FG Falcon in general. I remember at the time being on the fence regarding the black bumper highlights, mascara or panda eyes as they would become known as. I couldn’t help thinking that the then current BF and BF MK II FPV’s looked better, especially with the use of the XR headlights, the large and aggressive lower grill, and the mesh insert rear bumper. The leaked images with carry over wheels and exhaust tips, combined with the more sedate headlight treatment came across as underwhelming, which had me a little worried what the regular Falcon’s would look like. What transpired was the XR’s looked more aggressive to me, which suited my budget at the time.

To be continued......................
Mustang GT

Old 24-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #143
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

FG FPV continued.............

The FPV range went on sale in tandem with the regular Falcon lineup, the sedan rolling into showrooms first, followed closely by the Ute variants. For FG, FPV decided to streamline the model structure, apparently the new FPV CEO did not care for the Tornado, Typhoon and Force names that were implemented in previous years. In their place, the FPV range was split into two basic lines, the V8 GT-Series and the I6T F6 Series. The Turbo 6 sedan and Ute were simply known as the F6, the Force 6 replaced by F6E. The GT-Series carried over the GT, GT-P, Pursuit and Super Pursuit models, the Force 8 becoming the GT-E.

Stylistically, the front bumper was shared across each model, with differing grill and “panda eye” treatments to create differentiation. GT and Pursuit had honeycomb flush fit grills, darker accents and were available with a range of different stripe colours. The F6 had a unique inset mesh grill. GTE and F6E used more chrome and had a full body colour grill which I always thought too plain. The side skirts for Ute and Sedan were FPV specific. All sedans had a unique rear bumper with single or dual exhaust outlets, unique spoilers and the XR spec tail lamps. Utes actually carried the same bumper as XR models.

On the inside, the interiors were mix of G6E and XR, with unique colour accents and seat trim. FPV models also got added gauges in the dial cluster, along with the signature starter button and build number plaque. GT-E and F6-E were the last time you would see woodgrain trim in a Falcon variant, probably in a locally available Ford full stop! The GT, F6 and Pursuit were offered with XR seats, the F6-E and GT-E had G6E seats, and the GT-P and Super Pursuit had the unique Recaro-style seats.

FG also signified a new badge design for FPV, the blue and silver of before making way for black and silver. And for the first time, the FPV badge replaced the Ford badge on the front grill, boot lid and steering wheel.

For the GT-Series, the 5.4 Boss V8 sported various changes to improve performance and drivability. The key changes were the dual throttle body and revised plenum cover, along with a stronger crankshaft from the Ford GT supercar, allowing for an increased rev limit. Power was lifted from the 302 kW and 540 Nm to 315 kW and 551 Nm. The best part of the Boss 315 was the increased rpm limit, in effect widening the power band from about 2000 rpm to 2500 rpm.

From the FPV Press Release –

"The Boss 315 engine features a number of unique FPV engine upgrades and components:

• New camshaft timing and a new camshaft profile that gives higher lift and extended duration.
• The compression ratio has been increased from 10.5:1 to 11:1 for a major improvement in engine response and overall engine efficiency.
• Twin Plate Throttle Body improves volumetric efficiency and reduces pressure loss through the induction system.
• New upper intake manifold plenum chamber for optimised air flow.
• A new high flow "straight-through" twin exhaust system and new stainless steel exhaust manifolds which maximise powertrain sound quality and minimise back pressure.
• An increase in engine speed range, from 6000 rpm to 6500 rpm.
• New windage tray which reduces crankshaft windage engine parasitic losses.

"We've broadened the torque curve so that it picks up better at a lower rev range and gives the driver easier access to torque, so you get that drive all across the rev range. By increasing the torque in the useable, mid-speed engine range we've also given the driver more flexibility in overtaking manoeuvres."

"As a result, the car accelerates faster, while also feeling lighter and more powerful."

Mustang GT

Old 24-12-2023, 06:55 PM   #144
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Talked up the 5.4L, but in reality it wasnt what it should have been. F6 had its measure and probably did in BA/F also. Wasnt until the S/C V8 came along the F6 played second fiddle, just imo.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 24-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #145
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Talked up the 5.4L, but in reality it wasnt what it should have been. F6 had its measure and probably did in BA/F also. Wasnt until the S/C V8 came along the F6 played second fiddle, just imo.
Hold tight, I'll balance that out shortly..................
Mustang GT

Old 24-12-2023, 07:51 PM   #146
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hold tight, I'll balance that out shortly..................
Pls dont. Im happy with the turbo 6 being king for a minute.

Nah go ahead, really enjoying this thread!
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 24-12-2023, 07:54 PM   #147
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The turbocharged inline 6 in FPV spec also gained several improvements, with power raising from 270 kW and 550 Nm to 310 kW and 565 Nm.

From the official press release -

“To obtain this significant increase in performance, the inlet and exhaust systems have been re-designed and the camshaft timing revised. Increased turbocharger boost pressure and a new, bigger intercooler also play a key role in delivering more power, more torque and improved performance feel.

The compression ratio has been reduced from 8.7:1 to 8.47:1 to allow optimum compromise between turbo boost and spark timing, resulting in improved overall engine efficiency and driveability.

A new, higher efficiency Garrett turbocharger - developed specifically by FPV - features a larger compressor wheel, different compressor housing and an upgraded wastegate specification.

Maximum turbocharger boost pressure has increased to 0.91 bar, or 13.3 psi.
The new larger intercooler reduces unnecessary losses in the intake and allows for a higher air intake pressure. Additionally, an improvement in heat rejection allows lower intake manifold air temperatures in all conditions.

The improvements made to the intake system, particularly the intercooler, have allowed us to maintain high levels of performance even in high ambient conditions."

An all new intake manifold contributes to the improved torque delivery and engine responsiveness through the entire operating range.
An all-new exhaust manifold has been tuned to minimise exhaust gas flow restriction into the turbocharger and optimise the flow balance from cylinder to cylinder.

"With 100% of the peak torque available all the way from 1950 rpm to 5200 rpm, the new F6 310 engine transforms the performance feel of our F6 range, delivering seamless power and fantastic responsiveness across all driving conditions," Quinn said."

How good is Octane!

Geez, they could have at least cleaned the exhaust tip for the photo shoot!

Mustang GT

Old 24-12-2023, 07:58 PM   #148
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

F6 Sedan continued....................

Some of these were upon release, some came later. The Nitro cars look to have been shot at FPV, most of the rest were CGI. I get the feeling FPV were strapped for cash at this point, just little things point to that feeling. Carry over wheels and exhaust tips, and cost conscious press images included.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 08:08 PM   #149
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

F6 Ute..................

I really don't know why FPV spec'd the F6 Ute and Pursuit Ute with the basic monochrome screen, these were not cheap vehicles, so the use of that screen was pretty cheeky.

Mustang GT

Old 24-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #150
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A small correction from earlier, the F6-E did not arrive with the initial role out, FPV would later introduce it due to customer demand. Even so, they didn’t sell many.

Important to note all E models came with the 6/4 Brembo brakes as standard, they were optional on the BF Force 6 and 8.

As mentioned earlier, the F6-E and GT-E were the only Falcon's with woodgrain trim, I actually quite liked it as a point of difference, the satin chrome and fake carbon fiber trend was in full swing in the car industry during this era. That interior below would have been perfect if it had the Regency Red leather trim, again, not many were made in that spec.

Later examples got a new set of wheels, which also appeared on the GT-E. These wheels would roll out again for the FGX Sprint models in 2016.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post: