The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
No man with a toolbox is worth $90 an hour, that's a fact, and I never failed at anything I put my hand to, but I knew when to pull the pin, not drag everyone around me down!
Work is just work, you don't have to put a value on your time, its when you think that you do, that's when you have problems, ego problems, this is where depression starts, when folk get wise to being played for mugs!

Cheers King Billy
My sincere condolences to you, that you have never tried anything outside of your comfort zone and failed at anything in life. Failure only makes you stronger the next time you try something new. Also a bit sad that you don't value your time, it's not ego but self worth to know how much you can bring to something. Never sell yourself short.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t cover the shortfall, I allow for all the unbillable hours. My time spent quoting, invoicing, picking up materials etc is part of the job so I want to get paid for it. If a job takes 8 hrs and I did an extra 2hrs quoting, picking up materials, invoicing, who is going to pay for my 2hrs? The client does as it’s part of the work. I don’t charge them $100/hr for those 2hrs, I allow for it in my 8hrs of labour. That’s just basic business.

If a job gets cancelled or I’m sick that’s my bad luck and I’m out of pocket.

If you get home from your 8hrs wage paid work day, then the boss rings and says can you just do a couple hours on the computer for me, would you do it for free? What if he then said you need to do it at least 3times a week and I’m not paying you? What if he then said the client isn’t happy with the job so hes not paying me so you’re not getting paid? The list goes on, that’s the risk of being self employed.

If you’re on wages, do you think the boss charges you out at cost price?
Whatever your hourly rate it, double it and that is the cost price to have an employee when you factor in super, sick pay, annual leave, vehicle, fuel, phone, workers comp etc etc. So if you are getting paid on wages $35/hr, it costs the boss $60-70/hr to have you as an employee. Then add on top admin costs and a bit of profit (the reason you’re in business) then $90-100/hr is easily justified. Add workshop machinery/rent blah blah blah, all adds up.

If you’re charging $50/hr as a self employed person, and you’re paying for vehicle, accountant etc etc you will not make a decent wage, especially considering all the risk is on your shoulders.

Sure, if you work out of the car boot, have guaranteed 40hrs a week work, bugger all overheads, don’t have income protection etc etc you may make a good living off $50/hr.

Don’t take my word for it, plenty of info online showing business costs. I’m not telling anyone how to suck eggs, just might go a little way to showing my experience of being self employed. It’s definitely not for everyone!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 07:21 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont let king billy coke bottle wind ya up guys

hes trolling hard
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #4
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

hes trolling hard
Unfortunately some trolls drink their own Kool-aid and believe what they type. I just wanted to clarify a point or two.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Unfortunately some trolls drink their own Kool-aid and believe what they type. I just wanted to clarify a point or two.
Clarify to who?...yourself!

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Clarify to who?...yourself!

Cheers King Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Go back on wages, not everyone can run their own business, I know plenty of home owners living on one income, no man with a toolbox is worth $90 an hour, full stop, but takes a lot of ya free time that could be spent relaxing doing paperwork!
That's business for you, the give and take, but sadly more take than give!

Cheers King Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Talking about sole traders here not PAYE, no sole trader with a toolbox is worth $90 an hour, never!
Greed is a terrible thing to try and justify, but folk do it, they will always find a reason to justify the big invoice!

Cheers King Billy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAOq99LdsoY
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #7
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

hes trolling hard
Are you sure its the VT Wagon thats on gas!!! lol,....

Cheers King Billy
Old 25-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

It's quite obvious that some people know what they're talking about from experience and others don't, so can we put an end to the personal sniping now.
Old 25-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Whatever your hourly rate it, double it and that is the cost price to have an employee when you factor in super, sick pay, annual leave, vehicle, fuel, phone, workers comp etc etc. So if you are getting paid on wages $35/hr, it costs the boss $60-70/hr to have you as an employee. Then add on top admin costs and a bit of profit (the reason you’re in business) then $90-100/hr is easily justified.

^^^^^^^^Spot On ^^^^^^^^

It amazes me How some People are unable to comprehend this Concept...

I've seen countless Would be if they could Be's Come & Go. Over the years..

Without exception. Lack of Business Skills/Acumen have been their Downfall.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2021, 10:15 PM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
^^^^^^^^Spot On ^^^^^^^^

It amazes me How some People are unable to comprehend this Concept...

I've seen countless Would be if they could Be's Come & Go. Over the years..

Without exception. Lack of Business Skills/Acumen have been their Downfall.
Talking about sole traders here not PAYE, no sole trader with a toolbox is worth $90 an hour, never!
Greed is a terrible thing to try and justify, but folk do it, they will always find a reason to justify the big invoice!

Cheers King Billy
Old 25-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #11
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s not just responding to old mate troll, youll be surprised what people that have never been self employed learn from these threads!!! My mates used to think the same, when I explained it and went through the figures it opened their eyes quite a bit!!!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #12
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
It’s not just responding to old mate troll, youll be surprised what people that have never been self employed learn from these threads!!! My mates used to think the same, when I explained it and went through the figures it opened their eyes quite a bit!!!
You must of had quite the audience, I can see it now, the blind leading the blind, that's always had a positive outcome!
Sadly not everyone agrees with everyone else's opinion, or their mathematics, Bond, Skase they thought like you, nothing wrong about dreaming, its good for your ego!!!!

Cheers King Billy
Old 26-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

jstanovic

You are doing nothing incorrect, you are doing it right.

Every cost associated with operating your business has to be accounted for to make your business viable, that includes the cost to do paperwork whether it's you or a bookkeeper doing it.
You recover this cost in your labour rate.

Good luck with it all.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #14
slowsnake
Banned

This has been fun, thanks fellows!

Cheers Notorious King Billy
Old 26-06-2021, 11:53 PM   #15
zilo
BANNED

90 bucks an hour?

I can't get any car serviced for that, particularly when they are all packaged service products now....

I did point out once to the customer service adviser at Mercedes Kings Way once that there hadn't been enough hours in the day to match the invoice.

He corrected me by saying they had three men on the job at one stage.

Three men under the bonnet?....Hmmmmmm

Just pay and ride into the sunset with a jerking motion...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 12:34 AM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Maybe they were in a line, one behind the other!.lol,..the one in the middle was lucky!.lol,hahaha

Cheers King Billy
Old 27-06-2021, 12:44 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
90 bucks an hour?

I can't get any car serviced for that, particularly when they are all packaged service products now....

I did point out once to the customer service adviser at Mercedes Kings Way once that there hadn't been enough hours in the day to match the invoice.

He corrected me by saying they had three men on the job at one stage.

Three men under the bonnet?....Hmmmmmm

Just pay and ride into the sunset with a jerking motion...
Local independent workshop across the road from work is $165/hour with minimum 1 hour diagnostic charge the moment they look at the car - which is fair enough.

I still reckon they're too cheap.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 12:52 AM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Local independent workshop across the road from work is $165/hour with minimum 1 hour diagnostic charge the moment they look at the car - which is fair enough.

Holly bejeepers..... i thought mine was charging me a melbourne tax, $110 + GST, I don't complain because they are meticulous with detail, and they do it once and do it right. Oh, and they let me bring my own parts, which is a rarity.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 01:02 AM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Holly bejeepers..... i thought mine was charging me a melbourne tax, $110 + GST, I don't complain because they are meticulous with detail, and they do it once and do it right. Oh, and they let me bring my own parts, which is a rarity.
Also does tyres/balancing and wheel alignments though as a one stop shop for everything so I reckon thats not too bad given they're carrying lots of tyres on hand as well.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 02:17 AM   #20
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
$110 is fairly average, maybe even cheap as I'm used to hearing about $120+. That being said if they aren't very good - ie if they are slow, dumb and throw the parts catalogue at problems because they're useless at diagnostics because they're thick or haven't spend the money on equipment and software, know nothing about electronics, and slow or inefficient at grunt work on the driveline then anything above $100 is a rip off.
I'm happy to pay more for smart and efficient workers, but not with rewarding the f'wits, hanger-ons etc with similar market rates that get greedy or are useless and use 'parts cannons', can't do the job right, strip threads, ignore things or break things etc.
IE being a mech is hard and the good ones are worth paying more for.

Quote:
Also does tyres/balancing and wheel alignments though as a one stop shop for everything so I reckon thats not too bad given they're carrying lots of tyres on hand as well.
I'm not sure carrying lots of tyres is a smart move, or one worth paying extra for. Doesn't take too long to get tyres couriered anyway and I'd rather not buy maybe really old tyres in their stock anyway. Give me fresher ones delivered from the main warehouse in a couple of hours thanks.

Last edited by oldel; 27-06-2021 at 02:26 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Parking is increasingly an issue in running a Sydney workshop. Industrial strata usually has insufficient available space and street parking can be fraught. If you’re in an area with actual rangers, it’s possible to build a rapport - but if you’re in a suburb with parking “camera cars” that’s not an option.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #22
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
What car?
Everytime i bought parts for my Saab the price tripled, the 85 Corvette Coupe was worse, but $110 IN today's market, bring your own parts, that's worth it, and the bonus....meticulous work!
You lucky, most make their "beer" money from a 50% write up on the parts, so your deal is a beauty!...

Cheers King Billy
Old 27-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #23
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What car?
Everytime i bought parts for my Saab the price tripled, the 85 Corvette Coupe was worse, but $110 IN today's market, bring your own parts, that's worth it, and the bonus....meticulous work!
You lucky, most make their "beer" money from a 50% write up on the parts, so your deal is a beauty!...
Cheers King Billy

Falcon They go by the hour so type of car isn't really a factor. I have sent different cars in there and its the same. I also get a free courtesy car whilst its there, even if the job is only a couple of hours. Have built a pretty good rapport with them, to the point where they even let me bring my own coolant I have been using them for 8 years now.

I say "melb tax" because that is what my mates up in QLD call it. They always laugh when I tell them how much it is to do a job here.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #24
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
What car?

50%

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

depends on what diagnostics are done...if there's a pool of water on the ground and the diagnostic is.."mate I think you are leaking fluid"...then...hmmmm...if it entails hooking up a laptop to the OBD port then sure...but even then $165 is still a rip.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 12:37 AM   #26
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had one guys who started making excuses beforehe'd even taken the job
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #27
Yabbie
Starter Motor

Since I finished my trade I have worked all over Australia, big cities, little towns, remote, dealer workshops, mine sites, mum and dad outfits, for myself picking up skills both for my trade and people, so I understand both sides of the argument, now I work on what I want to work on, I accept a challenge and get quite proud when I can repair the so-called unrepairable / Stuffed what ever, I tend to work on the odd, old, different, or down right strange using the old skills that aren't taught to the younger people any more. Don't charge like a wounded bull and I am mobile. If I can't fix it or make it run / do the job they get it for free, usually I get paid my diesel to and from when I do remote or bush, I don't have to pay anyone else, BUT as always the parts / consumables have to be paid for. AS I have said before maybe I am Different but I have met more psycho's that are customers then us mechanics.
Yabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #28
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I panicked, thought i was about to miss my old mans birthday
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post