Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #14551
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Covid 19 -

I have always thought that while vaccinated people can still spread the virus the virus is incapable of infecting a vaccinated host to the point of mutating?

Whereas an unvaccinated person gets infected and can facilitate a mutating event?

Does anyone have information confirming or denying that hypothesis?

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 05-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #14552
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, higher viral load likely received if unvaxxed person gives it to another unvaxxed person (or someone who never got covid before), so it has more time in the body to grow and multiply.

Basically, the longer it can replicate without being attacked by our immune system, the more chance of mutations that it could find beneficial to itself while inside the infected person.

https://www.osfhealthcare.org/blog/h...ects-vaccines/
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #14553
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vic has hit 60% first dose. Petrol prices jumped 35c last night. What are the chances we will hit 70% by end of this week, and our CHO changing the 10km to 25km?.......

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #14554
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There will be a riot in NSW if you get benefits like that. 11/10 for optimism.

The ABC has quietly moved on from an apparent zero-Covid narrative; Professor McLaws must be feeling the burn “…your circuit’s dead, there’s something wrong”.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #14555
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The data I would like to see is the death rate comparison between Covid and the Vaccines.
Covid v Pfizer, v AZ.
Would have to take into account how many had been injected ect, but a clear comparison can easily be made.
It would help people make up their minds very quickly if they were still sitting on the fence.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #14556
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The data I would like to see is the death rate comparison between Covid and the Vaccines.
Covid v Pfizer, v AZ.
Would have to take into account how many had been injected ect, but a clear comparison can easily be made.
It would help people make up their minds very quickly if they were still sitting on the fence.
I'd think to do that you would also have to find out if any had underlining health issues.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:53 PM   #14557
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

For CyberWasp - not an academically rigorous article but reasonably contemporary and neutral review of vaccine risks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-57677606

Excerpt:
Quote:
Up to 16 June there were 389 reported cases of blood clots with low platelet levels in people who had the AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, with 68 deaths.

Of these, 31 cases and four deaths were reported after a second dose.
In the same period there were 12 cases in people given the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, with one death, and none in those receiving the Moderna vaccine.

By this date about 16.8m Pfizer/BioNTech, 24.5m AstraZeneca and 0.73m Moderna vaccine first doses had been administered in the UK.
I absolutely believe we’ve been conned into a terrible level of vaccine snobbery. I know of one person who suffered post-vaccination clotting - in Victoria - the medical response was both swift and wholly successful.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #14558
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Vic has hit 60% first dose. Petrol prices jumped 35c last night. What are the chances we will hit 70% by end of this week, and our CHO changing the 10km to 25km?.......

The Victoria Government won't open Melbourne up before or during the school holidays, they haven't done it in the past and I doubt they will do it in the future

On a slightly positive note I see the former Victorian Liberal Party Leader Matthew Guy is throwing out a leadership challenge to the current Victorian Liberal Party Leader Michael O'Brien. I am not surprised. Out with the new in with the old - Me thinks Dan has the Libs in a bit of turmoil

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...05-p58p0p.html
Old 06-09-2021, 07:24 AM   #14559
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Covid v Pfizer, v AZ.
Honesty would get in the way

Cheers Billy
Old 06-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #14560
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Covid v Pfizer, v AZ.
Theres a sect. in U.S. CDC site where you can do that break down & more.......
Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #14561
tweeked
N/A all the way

A great short explanation from a smart academic on how the vaccines work. Enough technical but he makes it understandable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbaXC6xGs3w

This is the sort of person on youtube that should be listened to.

2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #14562
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I really hope when the times comes to open borders NSW residents are not punished for the vaccination delays of the other states.

I'm still yet to see any real reward or benefit to the fully vaccinated (other than it's just the right thing to do).. and unless there is some real and tangible benefit to the fully vaccinated then others will keep delaying the process.

I heard on the radio that NSW is at some 73% first dose yet QLD somewhere in the mid 50's??

At this rate we will not be going anywhere at Christmas or in January.

Is there any credible site that actually breaks down vaccination rates by State and Territory?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 06-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #14563
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

See post 14548 for one link.

I really hope at 80%x1 for NSW they double Sydneians’ travel radius.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #14564
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I really hope when the times comes to open borders NSW residents are not punished for the vaccination delays of the other states.

I'm still yet to see any real reward or benefit to the fully vaccinated (other than it's just the right thing to do).. and unless there is some real and tangible benefit to the fully vaccinated then others will keep delaying the process.

I heard on the radio that NSW is at some 73% first dose yet QLD somewhere in the mid 50's??

Is there any credible site that actually breaks down vaccination rates by State and Territory?
Try here....

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/defa...ember-2021.pdf

Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #14565
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I said this from the beginning, the country needs to move as one, and not have one state streak ahead of everyone else. No one is going to open their borders with NSW if they are not vaccinated. Except maybe Vic...cos we are both infested with covid anyway

Covidlive has really good data on vaccination. It even has a countdown on the number of days that each state will achieve 60%, 70% and 80% based on the previous 7 day average.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #14566
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Do you realise NSW was given extra allocations of vaccines over and above all other states from the Feds?
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/scott-mo...2-8fb4555d1c80
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...15-p58iva.html
https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...l-nsw-outbreak
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...ment/100278208
As NSW has the worst outbreak they are rightly seen as the priority to get vaccinated. The outbreak and the extra allocations are why NSW are leading in the rollout. It is not like the other states are not pulling their weight.
My 17yo daughter would get vaccinated tomorrow but the earliest we could book was mid October. She and her friends are now playing 'hunger games' trying to jump the queue and get the vaccine earlier.

Last edited by Work Horse; 06-09-2021 at 01:22 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #14567
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Do you realise NSW was given extra allocations of vaccines over and above all other states from the Feds?
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/scott-mo...2-8fb4555d1c80
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...15-p58iva.html
https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...l-nsw-outbreak
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...ment/100278208
As NSW has the worst outbreak they are rightly seen as the priority to get vaccinated. The outbreak and the extra allocations are why NSW are leading in the rollout. It is not like the other states are not pulling their weight.
My 17yo daughter would get vaccinated tomorrow but the earliest we could book was mid October. She and her friends are now playing 'hunger games' trying to jump the queue and get the vaccine earlier.
If the NSW situation is pulling vaccines from other states at their detriment then it is obviously not their fault.

Here in NSW we have multiple vaccination location options and multiple booking sites to book, I assumed it was the same in other states?

Is she checking every day for cancellations or the chance to drive to other locations to get it done faster? Only saying this because when I was done the lady next to me told me she got the booking on the same day she went, the nurse at the hospital there is a high 'no show' rate and they open those bookings up very fast.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:04 PM   #14568
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
If the NSW situation is pulling vaccines from other states at their detriment then it is obviously not their fault.

Here in NSW we have multiple vaccination location options and multiple booking sites to book, I assumed it was the same in other states?

Is she checking every day for cancellations or the chance to drive to other locations to get it done faster? Only saying this because when I was done the lady next to me told me she got the booking on the same day she went, the nurse at the hospital there is a high 'no show' rate and they open those bookings up very fast.
Your posts on this topic seem a bit tone deaf to me.

NSW has benefitted by receiving a large quota of extra vaccines over the other states. be grateful that it has pulled you out of trouble rather than complaining that other states are slow

The other states are going pretty much as fast as they can with what they have been given
Old 06-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #14569
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Lets be clear mate, there is no if in this situation. NSW is ahead in the vaccine rollout because early in the rollout they were given more vaccine than all the other states.

You're welcome.

If people in NSW wish to crow about this fact, or suggest NSW opening up is being stopped by 'delays' in other states, you will understand it may rub some people the wrong way.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #14570
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT September 5th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,669 new cases for Australia and 3 deaths so the CMR is 1.686%.

20 new cases and 1 death for NZ so CMR is 0.717%.

The UK had a lower 36,515 cases yesterday and lower 68 deaths for a CMR of 1.909%.

A lower 62,250 new cases in the USA yesterday and lower 575 deaths sees CMR at 1.633%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)

Russia passes 7M cases;
India passes 33M cases;

No countries

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period while Iraq drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #14571
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

NSW/VIC

NSW records 1,282 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate rises slightly to 1.0435 (from 1.0429) while the actual line is now well below the predictive trend line.

VIC records 246 cases in the current period (the highest this outbreak) and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.1538 (from 1.1181) while the actual line is well above the predictive trend line again.

Sunday marks the end of the outbreak week (this being week 8) so here is the comparative graph between the two current outbreaks and the Victorian 2020 outbreak.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 06-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #14572
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Thanks we are aware how to 'game' the system, hence my 'hunger games' comment.

My wife and I are both under 60 and fully vaccinated with AZ. We got in the first week it was offered before they changed the advice to over 60's. I recieved my second jab last week that's about as quick as I could.

My daughter will this week go into a priority group for VCE students, so hopefully get the vaccine earlier. I believe NSW VCE students have already been done.

You're welcome.....
Old 06-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #14573
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yer I think YT doesn't wish to come across as it seems, well I hope.
Mate as a fellow Sydneyite I agree with what the other guys are posting.
Rightly or wrongly we have been given or more so pressed the urgency on vaccines at the detriment of other States thems the facts man.
In saying that, any of us as leaders would action as so, like a leaking bucket you got to stop/reduce the leak first and foremost.
So obviously were ahead with vaccines.
I know your wanting a holiday but I have no issue other States blocking us out at all.
Especially the covid free ones like Qld/WA/Tas add in SA.
Good on them.
There is plenty of country to see in your NSW buddy, be happy with that when the time comes.

edit - as expressed below, Qld and Melb people have been cancelling for pfizer.
Their call so its causing delays plus the lack of vaccines but stsrting to be supplied.
I see from many people I know its not easy getting appointments, cancelling has caused many disruptions as well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 06-09-2021 at 03:00 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #14574
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

As an example, the clinic where i got jabbed in Bundaberg is down to one day a week (Wed) from 8am to midday for Pfizer, thats there allocation for the week!

AZ is no way near as bad but QLD still has thousands of willing waiting in line.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 06-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #14575
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Your posts on this topic seem a bit tone deaf to me.
Curious as to how you came to that conclusion?

Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #14576
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Lets be clear mate, there is no if in this situation. NSW is ahead in the vaccine rollout because early in the rollout they were given more vaccine than all the other states.

You're welcome.

If people in NSW wish to crow about this fact, or suggest NSW opening up is being stopped by 'delays' in other states, you will understand it may rub some people the wrong way.
Absolutely, good thing there are nice people on the forums that are happy to clear it up without getting agro or condescending.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #14577
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
As an example, the clinic where i got jabbed in Bundaberg is down to one day a week (Wed) from 8am to midday for Pfizer, thats there allocation for the week!

AZ is no way near as bad but QLD still has thousands of willing waiting in line.
Thanks for clearing that up. As I said earlier if that is the case then the people are not to blame for not getting vaccinated in a more timely manner.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #14578
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Curious as to how you came to that conclusion?
Posted by you

Quote:
Old 06-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #14579
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Posted by you
That's it??

Had me really worried there for a while.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #14580
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's it??

Had me really worried there for a while.
I think the use of the term 'not punished for the vaccination delays of the other states' was at best ill-chosen and at worst inflammatory. Yes, some States are probably not as far along as they perhaps could be (notably WA) but most have been doing what they can with the supplies they have been given.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Closed Thread