Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #14371
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Just when I was thinking Adelaide is too vanilla even for Covid.....truckies have brought it in by the looks.
Was only a matter of time.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #14372
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Just when I was thinking Adelaide is too vanilla even for Covid.....truckies have brought it in by the looks.
Was only a matter of time.
It is only a matter of time this Delta virus will spread around Australia; people are living in a fools paradise if they think otherwise.

Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:58 PM   #14373
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
It is only a matter of time this Delta virus will spread around Australia; people are living in a fools paradise if they think otherwise.

Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.
agree totally. If you cant keep it from most parts of the world, good luck keeping it from crossing state borders.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 04:15 AM   #14374
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is breast cancer screening still illegal in NSW? Or is the virus with a death rate of about 1% worse than a disease with a death rate of 10% best case scenario?
Old 02-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #14375
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Case numbers in NSW are consistently high. I wonder if we have actually lost control of the spread of the virus as some epidemiologists predicted could happen ?

If so for political reasons the Premier will be reluctant to admit this and I imagine the strategy would be a subtle change in the message over a period of time in the hope that we don't notice.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #14376
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course NSW has lost control, they lost control from Day 1 due to the negligence of the Government, they didn't even want to try to keep it under control

Even 'Hard line Dan' has tried to keep it under control and he conceded yesterday that they have lost control of it

As a side note - every time I see that Michael O'Brien being interviewed my blood pressure goes through the roof and I start yelling at the TV
5 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 08:14 AM   #14377
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Of course NSW has lost control, they lost control from Day 1 due to the negligence of the Government, they didn't even want to try to keep it under control

Even 'Hard line Dan' has tried to keep it under control and he conceded yesterday that they have lost control of it

As a side note - every time I see that Michael O'Brien being interviewed my blood pressure goes through the roof and I start yelling at the TV
Right on the money Trev .....unfortunately

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #14378
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

While the figures are still not where we would all like them to be I wonder if regional NSW will be allowed out in the next announcement?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #14379
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a certain amount of irresponsibility by governments / states that let the virus run free because the more cases the more chances the virus has to mutate its only a matter of time before the vaccine will be useless and it takes so long to develop a vaccine.....we're going to be up sh#t creek without a paddle

Thats why IMO you've got to try a full lockdown first to see if you can stamp it out .....if you cant least you gave it your best shot

Fingers crossed we might be getting on top of it in NZ ....touch and go though, its been another huge cost to businesses and the economy .....the price you pay for valuing peoples lives ahead of the economy

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #14380
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Hard to believe there's so many 'Trumpsters' out there....

Warning over fake COVID 'cures'
NSW health authorities have issued a warning after a COVID-positive person turned up at a Western Sydney hospital ill after overdosing on an anti-parasitic medication and other supposed COVID-19 "cures" ordered online.

Western Sydney Local Health District said a person with COVID-19 presented to Westmead Hospital's emergency department vomiting and with diarrhoea.

The symptoms weren't as a result of the virus, but from an overdose of the drug Ivermectin and other medications sold online as "COVID cures".

Hospital toxicologist Naren Gunja said Ivermectin was an anti-parasitic medication mainly used for farm animals.

He said the person was lucky not to have developed severe toxicity.

"There's no evidence to support the use of Ivermectin to treat COVID-19," he said.

"Don't look for magic cures online, and don't rely on what's being peddled on the internet, because none of them work."

He said others had also turned up at the hospital recently needing treatment after taking a range of dangerous substances to treat COVID-19 including disinfectants, bleach and alcohols.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
7 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #14381
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
There's a certain amount of irresponsibility by governments / states that let the virus run free because the more cases the more chances the virus has to mutate its only a matter of time before the vaccine will be useless and it takes so long to develop a vaccine.....we're going to be up sh#t creek without a paddle
Exactly, The entire reason we need a new Flu vaccine every year is because it's so rampant that we just can't keep on top of it. Compare that to Polio which was basically eradicated in the 90's and we've been fine using the same vaccine for the last 70 years.

Even with how effective the polio vaccine is, the most important step in eradication of polio is interruption of endemic transmission of poliovirus. This is why we lockdown AND vaccinate, because ideally we'd like covid to be another Polio, and not another influenza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Hard to believe there's so many 'Trumpsters' out there....

Warning over fake COVID 'cures'
NSW health authorities have issued a warning after a COVID-positive person turned up at a Western Sydney hospital ill after overdosing on an anti-parasitic medication and other supposed COVID-19 "cures" ordered online.
I saw this *facepalm*
Ivermectin is not anti-viral. If they'd done even 2 minutes of research they would have known that...
Old 02-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #14382
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Is breast cancer screening still illegal in NSW?
Still Illegal? please explain.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #14383
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Still Illegal? please explain.
My guess is that it's hyperbole. Mammograms were halted as they weren't considered 'essential' or a 'relevant risk'...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...owns/100384924
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #14384
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Yeah, drawing a long bow calling it illegal
Old 02-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #14385
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would call it 'pulling resources from essential work to respond to the COVID Delta disaster that the NSW Government created'
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #14386
Metdevil

Quote:
I would call it 'pulling resources from essential work to respond to the COVID Delta disaster that the NSW Government created'
Now that's a hot take.
As long as the govt created NSW's Delta Disaster, can we also infer from there that that same govt created NZ's Delta Disaster since it originated from NSW? :p (just jokes, of course)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #14387
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post

I saw this *facepalm*
Ivermectin is not anti-viral. If they'd done even 2 minutes of research they would have known that...
Unfortunately......2 minutes of research will also bring up information advocating it's use, **** google, talk to your doctor is the message needed...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #14388
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now that's a hot take.
As long as the govt created NSW's Delta Disaster, can we also infer from there that that same govt created NZ's Delta Disaster since it originated from NSW? :p (just jokes, of course)
well it is true, they did nothing to stem the flow, all of Australia and NZ are now suffering. W.A. or Tassie are not exempt, 2 positive truck drivers have already got into W.A.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #14389
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
There's a certain amount of irresponsibility by governments / states that let the virus run free.............

........Thats why IMO you've got to try a full lockdown first to see if you can stamp it out .....if you cant least you gave it your best shot
Yep. have always held the view that it is pointless to blame how the virus "got out". Its a virus, it'll get out. But what matters most is how gov responds. Its been an absolute failure, and the two most populous cities are now suffering the consequences.

NZ will be a good test case to see if Delta is a good enough excuse for the failure. Couldn't have really gone any harder and faster than what NZ did. Lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
........Western Sydney Local Health District said a person with COVID-19 presented to Westmead Hospital's emergency department vomiting and with diarrhoea.

The symptoms weren't as a result of the virus, but from an overdose of the drug Ivermectin and other medications sold online as "COVID cures".
This drug has been touted to be 100% effective against Covid. I have had friends that have tried to source it from their GPs, but none have had any luck

This anti vaxxer thought it could save him, but proven wrong.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-dies-covid-19

It seems crazy to me that some people are completely fearful of vaccines that have been through the proper due diligence of FDAs / TGAs, yet will put all their faith on an unproven drug originally formulated for animals. Not disputing that this drug might have its place in treatment, but certainly needs more tests, and is not a replacement for vaccination.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #14390
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
^^^ This.

The stark reality is that Dan has conceded cases will not go down and will increase. Unlike the previous 5 lockdowns in Vic, Lockdown 6 has failed to drive down the numbers with Delta.

To put things into perspective, the outbreak in Victoria is actually worse than NSW if you look at the figures in a timeline to date.

If you look at the figures from "case number one" when the "NSW Second wave" started versus "Vic Delta -2" as the outbreaks are called, to yesterday, being day 28 in the Victorian outbreak, Victoria is running at higher numbers.

Russell mentioned this yesterday...
"The 10-day average growth rate (Vic) is higher than NSW at 1.111, up from the 1.061 yesterday."

At day 28, NSW had 874 total cases and Victoria had 1229.

Victoria is very similar to NSW running at "REFF 1.3".
What this means is that for every 10 cases, those 10 cases affect another 13 people.

At that current rate, it means the daily cases numbers will DOUBLE every 10 or 11 days.

Let's put some dates to that to visualise the scenario, if that REFF 1.3 continues...

1/9/21 - 120 cases

11/9/21 - 240 cases

21/9/21 - 480 cases

1/10/21 - 960 cases

11/10/21 - 1,920 cases

I hope I am wrong, and things turn around but things are not looking good, and Dan knows this.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #14391
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I have had friends that have tried to source it from their GPs, but none have had any luck
In Ohio they have real doctors actually prescribing it.
Some woman in Ohio had her prescription for her husband denied at the hospital. A judge then over ruled the decision and made the hospital administer it as requested...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ectin-n1278267

What the hell is going on?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #14392
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I suspect the weather will save us before the pollies do.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #14393
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Is breast cancer screening still illegal in NSW? Or is the virus with a death rate of about 1% worse than a disease with a death rate of 10% best case scenario?
Is breast cancer transmitted via droplets in the air like Covid?
Keep focussing on the Covid death rate and ignore the hospitalizations and long term effects from it.
It's a shocking rabbit hole
Old 02-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #14394
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some woman in Ohio had her prescription for her husband denied at the hospital. A judge then over ruled the decision and made the hospital administer it as requested...

Well, just putting myself in a victim's shoes....if I was on my death bed with a 10% chance to survive...then yeh, give me ivermectin and hydroxywhateveryoucallit. I think you'd want the right to try anything that might save you. Its obviously had some positive effects in some circumstances, for DRs to want to prescribe it. Just needs more tests.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #14395
slowsnake
Banned

I think the State and Federal governments have reacted to this rotten virus the same way they would react to any "too hard" issue!
Just bullsh.t your way out of it, or blame everything under the Sun but themselves, it's amazing what unconscionable people do to keep a bigger than entitled to salary in their sky-rocket.

These people who run our states and territories know exactly as much as the man on the street who is left speechless by the abject stupidity of those who "rule"!

Russel makes more bloody sense here on the forum than what I see, hear and read from so called professional "soothsayers"....and that is a pollies job to say things that sooth!...and soon they won't be able to sooth the savage beast that is the man on the street

Cheers Billy
Old 02-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #14396
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I suspect the weather will save us before the pollies do.
Not enough lightning strikes available. Although maybe we can buy some from Poland?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #14397
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Not enough lightning strikes available. Although maybe we can buy some from Poland?
I see what you did there!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #14398
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
^^^ This.

If you look at the figures from "case number one" when the "NSW Second wave" started versus "Vic Delta -2" as the outbreaks are called, to yesterday, being day 28 in the Victorian outbreak, Victoria is running at higher numbers.

At day 28, NSW had 874 total cases and Victoria had 1229.

Victoria is very similar to NSW running at "REFF 1.3".
I'm not disputing your conclusion as I agree with you but I do need to question the numbers.

The NSW outbreak was 'called' on July 9th and although you could probably argue it started on 26th June (the first day over 20 cases in a year), I've based my data around July 9th as Day 1.

Likewise for Victoria, I've been a bit harsher as they had lower baseline case numbers and my data collection starts from 15th July which was the first day over 10 cases.

On that basis, yesterday was day 49 for Victoria with 1,482 cases in total whereas at day 49, NSW had recorded 15,596 cases and even if we go back and call June 26th 'day one' for NSW, the first 49 days still yielded 6,996 cases.

The only way we could be at day 28 in Victoria was if you didn't count the earlier spell of 229 cases between 15/7 and 4/8 which are included in the official stats but even if we said it didn't start in Vic until August 5th, those first 28 days result in 1,252 cases (up to yesterday) while the first 28 days in NSW (9-7-5/8) recorded 4,020 cases. Even using June 26th as the 'start' in NSW still has 1,803 cases for the first 28 days and you really can't go any earlier than that when rolling daily average case numbers had been consistently in single digits for months before that date - doing anything else is just trying to make the numbers fit an agenda.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #14399
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Dr. Varon in the US (Texas) uses it along with other medications as part of a treatment method he has devised.

https://www.********.com/video/rvccR4Tg6fRS/

Someone got covid on another forum I post, knocked him about a bit, then went with the above and got over it.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #14400
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Lets just get some perspective, in modern times this is pretty much unheard of and even doing routine tasks all GovCo's show how slow rubbish our system is.

Who has actually done well here? The countries that culturally have discipline or they are communist and even then that's sketchy.

We had our chance, we had control, we should have had vacc rates up and we didn't.

I agree its pot luck up until this point and luckily the weather is warming up and this may assist.

Would be interesting to see how countries in the EU have opened up, what their vacc % is and how they are travelling with hospitalization.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread