Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #13711
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Gladys is now changing her tune... so now high vaccination can still mean restrictions and reduced liberties.

When will they realise this is never going to work, and their expectations of near 0 local cases is a foolishly impossible target??

International news outlets are going to town questioning the logic of our leaders and their hard line approach.

The new vaccination aim seems to hover around +1% a day... we may get to 70% by end of Sep or first week October.

The last 10% takes far more time. Say we get to 80% by the end of October. Quite possible.

Then what? I'm hoping that families can look forward to near unrestricted internal travel and to a few OS travel bubbles by Christmas.

I'm hoping that in early 2022 we can implement a traffic light system like other highly vaccinated nations.

Here's to hoping

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 17-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #13712
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF
The new vaccination aim seems to hover around +1% a day... we may get to 70% by end of Sep or first week October.

The last 10% takes far more time. Say we get to 80% by the end of October. Quite possible.
Trouble is, they’re uttering confusing statements with targets both for first covid doses and fully vaccinated. There’s also the chatter building in NSW governance for the past fortnight, inferring that a 60% milestone for first dose Covid vaccinations is going to get us a biscuit.

My money remains on closer to February before we’re allowed to peep through the curtains again.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #13713
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It is an intelligence of the community.
90% of the people do the right thing.
10% don't and are still not. They just don't get it.
The 90% have to wait for all of the 10% to be infected and not able to further spread it around. (Unless this process takes 6 months and they get reinfected)
This process takes a while as each plays out their part in the dumbness.
More of a selfishness thing than it’s about intelligence.
Plenty of smart people breaking the rules too.
There’s always going to be some princesses who think that they’re so very special like the Melbourne engagement party swine.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #13714
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe View Post
There’s always going to be some princesses who think that they’re so very special like the Melbourne engagement party swine.
Seriously?
Old 17-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #13715
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Seriously?
I agree.. swine is too nice a word for those ....

No, I prefer to not be given a holiday from the forums...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 17-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #13716
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe View Post
True, IQ does not automatically endow common sense

Cheers Billy
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #13717
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seriously?
Okay, ‘differently mammaled’ then.
Old 17-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #13718
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the Israel data, to stay on topic for some on here, the evidence is getting stronger that Covid is going to be with us for quite some time.

The clear implication for us is that our approach is futile in the long term, unless more effective vaccine come along.

Oregon data also indicate the vaccines are not having much effect.
Old 17-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #13719
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chief police commissioner Shane Patton says Victoria Police are patrolling playgrounds making sure there’s no children playing.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #13720
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Chief police commissioner Shane Patton says Victoria Police are patrolling playgrounds making sure there’s no children playing.
And so they should. Child’s laughter often leads to mans laughter…

Quote:
Police in NSW have fined close to 600 people for breaking coronavirus rules in the past 24 hours, in a clear sign "people are still not complying".
Source
579 actually - which at $5K a pop is almost $2,9M pesos. :-/

Last edited by Citroënbender; 17-08-2021 at 11:33 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #13721
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Meanwhile in Newcastle I have been travelling to Sydney at least 2-3 times a week except for the 2 week closure of building sites. I was in Surry Hills yesterday. Bit of a joke really having tradies and alike from outside Sydney area going in and out every day back to regional areas.
Why have the 2 week pause? Cases were only double digits per day they climb to 3 digits and its return to work. I mean really its not about health its all about $$.
I cant visit any friends but I can and will be going to look at a job in Camden on Friday and return home to self isolate buy fuel and lunch along the way visit a Bunnings and buy a carton if I choose.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......

Last edited by FPV+fteT3; 17-08-2021 at 11:41 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #13722
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Frankly the optics from the engagement party aren't good but they are not that different from any other group that chooses to knowingly flout the rules just perhaps better dressed.

It all stems from a belief that the rules don't apply to them because (insert lame reason here) or they have 'special' circumstances but to actually attempt to make a joke of flaunting the rules in a speech is a whole new level of stupidity.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #13723
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
And so they should. Child’s laughter often leads to mans laughter.
Jeepers, I read that quickly and wondered how it goes from a child laughing to manslaughter..
5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #13724
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Frankly the optics from the engagement party aren't good but they are not that different from any other group that chooses to knowingly flout the rules just perhaps better dressed.

It all stems from a belief that the rules don't apply to them because (insert lame reason here) or they have 'special' circumstances but to actually attempt to make a joke of flaunting the rules in a speech is a whole new level of stupidity.
well, it is going to be a costly exercise, what was it? a $5500 fine for each person.

I just heard on the news that the Doctors in attendance are under investigation by their regulating body
5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #13725
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Just heard a bit more on the guest list and it appears a number of them were doctors.....

Edit: posted same time as Trev..

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #13726
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

They’re human, I accept their human traits. We’re not exactly oversupplied with doctors.
Old 17-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #13727
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Am I the only one who thinks there's an element of 'financial terrorism' being conducted by certain sections of the population.
A case of deliberately ignoring rules aimed at ending lockdowns in a bid to extract as much coin as possible from Govco whilst doing SFA?
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:15 PM   #13728
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
They’re human, I accept their human traits. We’re not exactly oversupplied with doctors.
When it comes to supposedly knowing better, and setting an example, I am no way near as charitable!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #13729
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Luckily most are narcasistic millenials who are so stupid they post everything on the likes of facebook.
Law enforcement loves social media, makes life so-o-o-o easy....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #13730
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
When it comes to supposedly knowing better, and setting an example, I am no way near as charitable!
Doctors + fines = easy money.

Be interesting to see if their governing body would have the nuts to do anything, at a minimum it will be on their record.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #13731
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT August 16th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

512 new cases for Australia and 11 deaths so the CMR is 2.438%. NSW recorded another new high with 478 cases.

7 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.889%.

The UK had a higher 28,176 cases yesterday and lower 26 deaths for a CMR of 2.080%.

A much higher 188,865 new cases in the USA yesterday (85k of which were carried over from the previous day) and higher 1,023 deaths (some of which were also carried over) sees CMR at 1.697%.

Other notable points:

Global cases pass 208M, the last 1M in 2 days;
North America passes 45M cases;

French Polynesia (2,211); and
Sri Lanka (3,640)

... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #13732
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 17 in ACT. Total 45.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #13733
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Another 17 in ACT. Total 45.
If you take into account population/population density, thats escalated quickly.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #13734
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So you endorse Vicpol view that playgrounds must be policed to ensure children are not playing.

It's the law. Although no legislation was passed except for sweeping powers that they gave themselves to impose anything they like at the CHO's discretion.

Have you crunched the numbers on Israel?

Are you not at all concerned that the evidence is mounting that the virus can not be eradicated and vaccines at least mRNA ones are ineffective against spread? Israel followed precisely the recommendations on how to roll out their vaccines.

The USA also used mRNA exclusively too I believe
Old 17-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #13735
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
If you take into account population/population density, thats escalated quickly.
That's what I'm hearing. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's taking off. Also nearly 7400 tests yesterday which is a lot.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #13736
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's what I'm hearing. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's taking off. Also nearly 7400 tests yesterday which is a lot.
Stop testing, solved ..ol Trumpy was onto something.

Seriously though using a sample population to see the results would be interesting unless the USA is recent enough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #13737
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Doctors + fines = easy money.

Be interesting to see if their governing body would have the nuts to do anything, at a minimum it will be on their record.
Fines, at least based on the Victorian experience, seem to be ineffective as a deterrent as only 25% of the almost 37,000 fines issued for COVID breaches last year have been paid.

Looking at NSW and comparing this outbreak with Victoria last year we see that NSW has had less 33% cases thus far (40 days in) with 8,445 compared to Victoria which had 12,736. The case rate is also still lower at 1.08 (1.21 for Vic) however, the polynomial trend (3rd order) is still heading upward whereas by day 40 the Victorian one had already passed the peak and was just starting to flatten.

The graph below shows the predictive numbers for the next 10 days based on that trend but it is (hopefully) somewhat pessimistic.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #13738
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
People are obviously fed up with the lockdowns. Local Soccer Club near me in Melbourne's bayside has its club room open, 30 odd kids running around witches hats training, 20-30 parents huddled in groups having chats and going in and out of the clubrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
And in tomorrow's news...... "13 new mystery cases in the bayside area with no known links. Lock down extended for 2 weeks".

I saw the lock down fatigue in the last lock down. Not as confident that we can get this round down to zero community for at least another 2 weeks.

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...04aa89fe191efe

"Several bayside suburbs have emerged as a new Covid-19 hot spot as Melbourne battles a worsening virus outbreak.

Five mystery cases have now popped up across Port Phillip, Glen Eira, Bayside, and particularly the suburb of East St Kilda, with health authorities concerned the virus is circulating unchecked."

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 17-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #13739
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

I would hope so, certain professionals, such as doctors, are held to a higher standard than those in other professions and as such are expected to meet the standard of care expected for his or her particular discipline......No doubt there will be some embarrassment among the Medical establishment that will need to be dealt with....I'm not asking for there Licences but a dragging over some hot coals is in order me thinks.

I'm going to see my GP next week so I'll be asking his thoughts on the issue, although knowing him as I do, I have a fair idea they will be very dark.

3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #13740
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Thats the thing though, you've hit the nail on the head in the way i like to think about the situation. Higher testing rates will obviously detect higher cases. Because if you dont know, well you dont know. So higher cases people jump up and down about, yet the case numbers that werent detected due to not being tested were potentially the same, just not detected. So record testing and record numbers, well its not case numbers in my view, its just greater detection. So this is just my way of looking at numbers, so i dont think its me having a conspiracy theory or anything outlandish. Its deffinately not a problem thats going away any time soon.
Closed Thread