Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #91
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford to reveal Falcon next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Hazard to guess the interior will get some attention. They just wouldn't leave it 'as is' for an MCE.
Probably same as VX-VY Commodore :
New IP, same doorcards, same cowl/dash panel, different centre stack and maaybe different steering wheel.
Personally, I'd like to see a brushed alloy ICC, with the SONY audio and the touch sensitive audio controls like Mondeo/Fusion.
3-spoke steering wheel would be good on XR's.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #92
MrMaestro

I like the look of the FG interior. It starting to look a bit dated now but it's still smart. Like FalconXV and others have said, for the next Falcon Ford need to ensure it doesn't have a cost-cutting look and feel about it. No hissing audio, no LCDs that dim in the heat, supportive front seats and comfortable driving position - common complaints that Ford has had plenty of time to fix. They don't need to fill it with the latest trinkets as long as they design and build it like Ford Europe does their cars - as a real driver's car.
MrMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #93
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's not going to match Commodore for every last feature but hopefully, careful selection of available tech
will see an impressive increase in basic equipment levels normally associated with higher series and tech packs.

So long as there are enough new features, a fresh bold face and reworked interior, I'd say that most potential
buyers should be happy with the results, good styling can more than make up for some perceived shortcomings.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #94
nstg8a

Stealing the seats from the fiesta st would be a good start...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #95
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Styling alone will make a difference. Unfortunately thats where the locals get hurt as it costs the most to change..but look how often successful cars just tweeked these days..thats what your up against.

Im hanging for the XR6T.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #96
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
good styling can more than make up for some perceived shortcomings.
It can, worked for the VT Commodore!!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #97
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
VF Calais V with V8 is $55k drive away,,bargain!!
One problem there is...................... Its a Holden!!!!!!!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11259539
fordmfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #98
1TUFFUTE
Banned

That pic above is absolutely amazing
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #99
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Tech wise, Ford may not go overboard as they know the Falcon is on the way out. But I would be surprised if they don't add parking assist or blind spot monitor.
You need electric steering for park assist. I think there's little chance of that.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #100
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
What's wrong with a GT-E?
nothing... nothing at all
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #101
DMENTDGT
ON CHARGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
nothing... nothing at all
Apparently you don't have park assists and you can't adjust your suspension from a screen so our GT's are outdated by great tech from these new holdens wow I wish I had new vf bommodore... Give me break...

FORD FALCON FPV GT 335
Lightening Strike
ZF Box
Leather
Cat Back 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
5% Tints
Stock Power: 346.3rwkw

Current Rides: Porsche Cayenne, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1
PRIOR RIDES: BA2 xr8 ute, AU2 Xr6, EL xr8, EB Ghia 5.0L, XD 4.0L
DMENTDGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #102
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaestro View Post
I like the look of the FG interior. It starting to look a bit dated now but it's still smart. Like FalconXV and others have said, for the next Falcon Ford need to ensure it doesn't have a cost-cutting look and feel about it. No hissing audio, no LCDs that dim in the heat, supportive front seats and comfortable driving position - common complaints that Ford has had plenty of time to fix. They don't need to fill it with the latest trinkets as long as they design and build it like Ford Europe does their cars - as a real driver's car.
I had a Falcon for a couple of days recently as a loaner from the dealer while the Territory was being fixed and it's the first time I've driven a Falcon for a few years. Only the Terri and European cars over that time.

I'd have to say the first impression I got was disappointment, like it was yesterday's car. Ford did a good job on the Territory and that's a nice car but the Falcon is like something out of the 90s and, for the same price, completely eclipsed by cars like the Skoda Superb (just naming one I'm familiar with). I can see why Ford would see the Mondeo as a viable replacement for the Falcon. The European Fords are very good.

I suspect most private buyers would feel the same about the Falcon which is why the sales have gone. Not saying the Falcon's not a good car (though not as nice to drive as the Territory) but it's now like something out of Australia's motoring past and I don't know how much the next model will knock that feeling down. Fondly remembered, but not a car for today (and that's not even mentioning the quality and finish issues!).

What really pees me off is that the Americans at Dearborn would have absolutely no understanding of the attributes of the Territory and think that Explorer or something similar would "replace " it. Just like they probably think the Mustang will will be a substitute for the Falcon. Bulldust.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #103
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new2ford..like myself and other FF members who have driven the new Explorer,in the States, it is much better equipped than the Territory. Drives/handles great.. The Tezza Titanium is like the base model Explorer. FORD have dropped the ball in recent years on equipment levels in Falcon and Tezza. Just look what Fiesta/Focus/Kuga/Mondeo have for less money.
Now ,Holden realised this and the VF is on par with Euros.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #104
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
new2ford..like myself and other FF members who have driven the new Explorer,in the States, it is much better equipped than the Territory. Drives/handles great.. The Tezza Titanium is like the base model Explorer. FORD have dropped the ball in recent years on equipment levels in Falcon and Tezza. Just look what Fiesta/Focus/Kuga/Mondeo have for less money.
Now ,Holden realised this and the VF is on par with Euros.
So the top-spec Explorer has 2.7 tonne towing, DVD player and a diesel engine option then does it? Features can be added to the Falcon and Territory, but it is going to be very hard and expensive for the Exploder to become the handling and driving dynamics benchmark for SUV's like the Territory is. And it is in those terms I agree with what new2ford says.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #105
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

I'd have to say the first impression I got was disappointment, like it was yesterday's car. Ford did a good job on the Territory and that's a nice car but the Falcon is like something out of the 90s and, for the same price, completely eclipsed by cars like the Skoda Superb (just naming one I'm familiar with). I can see why Ford would see the Mondeo as a viable replacement for the Falcon. The European Fords are very good.

Can u pls elaborate and provide details.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #106
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a SYII Territory Ghia and an FG GT. I honestly don't know how you can say the Falcon is like something out of the 90's.

We love our Territory but it is not up to the same standard as the FG, particularly on the inside. The Territory always comes across as a bit cheap on the inside but it wears well and is well suited if you have young children.

You just have to look at the way the door trims and seals and welds are finished off on the FG and it is a generation ahead of the Territory.

The FG is also right up there dynamically with any comparable car from Europe, so please, leave the 90's comments in the ..... 90's.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #107
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post

The FG is also right up there dynamically with any comparable car from Europe, so please, leave the 90's comments in the ..... 90's.
The dynamics aren't in question but the fuel economy is 90s not 2010s.

It was nice to get back into the Territory after the Falcon - personal opinion k?!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #108
I6DOHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
You just have to look at the way the door trims and seals and welds are finished off on the FG and it is a generation ahead of the Territory.

+1.

The FG is first class, and being Aussie will be reasonably durable. Great bang for the buck.

I've sat in a few Jap/Euro's that have 2-3 years on them, and while still nice and holding together, they also have their fair share of squeak & rattles.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #109
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Surely you jest? The official fuel economy figures for the Falcon are nothing short of astonishing considering its bulk. My FG (XR6T) is currently sitting on 11.9L/100km with a 33km/h average speed. On the highway, it will drop into the high 7's and sit there.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #110
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Road Warrior ....The Limited bundles the XLT's items with 20-inch wheels, keyless ignition/entry, remote engine start, power-adjustable pedals with memory, a 110-volt power outlet and a 12-speaker Sony sound system with HD radio. Optional for the Limited is the 301A package that includes a power liftgate, a power-folding operation for the third-row seat, an eight-way power passenger seat, ventilated front seats, a heated and power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel and a navigation system. To this the 302A package adds xenon headlamps, automatic high beams, an automatic parallel-parking system, adaptive cruise control with collision warning and brake support, lane-departure and lane-keeping assist, a blind-spot warning system and inflatable seatbelts for second-row outboard passengers.

The new Explorer Sport is equipped similarly to the Limited, although it lacks the leather upholstery, 110-volt outlet, keyless ignition/entry, remote engine start and power-adjustable pedals. It does come with different 20-inch wheels, sport front seats and unique interior and exterior trim details. The Sport's 402A package adds the power liftgate, navigation system, blind-spot monitoring, cross-traffic alert, inflatable seatbelts, power-adjustable steering wheel and pedals, ventilated front seats, leather upholstery, driver seat memory, power front passenger seat and 110-volt outlet. The navigation system is optional, as is adaptive cruise control.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #111
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It was nice to get back into the Territory after the Falcon - personal opinion k?!
there are economy options in the falcon with the eco boost and eco lpi, the 90's comment is very unfair.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #112
MrMaestro

Quote:
If the FG's interior is out the 90s then B-series must be out of the 60s, cos it's a big step up. I think it's a little unfair to compare the Falcon's interior with Euro cars; of course they're going to be better.

What I particularly like about FG is that Ford didn't go down the all-black hard-plastic fit out that so many cars have these days. Textured soft-touch for the big surfaces, splashes of silver or piano black. Lovely. Now VF has a great interior but it only just came out so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. VE on the other hand - that's the cheapest, most depressing interior I've seen in a Commodore.

And +1 for the fuel economy. For the Falcon's bulk the I6 is great, not much worse than a lot of medium size cars.
MrMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #113
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:

I live in Canberra and my car is sitting on 10.7L/100km for a 1700kg sedan with 270kW. How can you say, with a straight face, that is bad fuel economy?

Show me a better car with similar output at a similar price.

My brother's 2012 Accord Euro with about half the power consumes 9.6L/100km if my memory is correct. So he pips me on economy but I wallop him on performance.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #114
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

There won't be much revealed next week.

A lot more drama will unfold before the full reveal.

Refer :BA launch
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #115
XWGT