Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #91
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
Wouldn't most P platers be buying in VT/VX era now? Which mean the Falcon model of the same era would have been.......
I like where you went with that.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #92
JimNiki
71Mach1

I grew up loving holdens for the same reason most others did...
Even bought a 71 HG Monaro as my first car! (boy I wist I still had it!)

Anyway, as a teenager, I started to work on car motors and my close mates both had fords... So I became intimate with windsors and clevos...

And to top it off, my mate's older brother drove me to work (both worked at the same place) in his 70 P1 HO in raw orange. What a blast! Never looked back...

I do admire some holdens, but will always prefer Fords...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 04-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #93
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairBA
Wouldn't most P platers be buying in VT/VX era now? Which means the Falcon model of the same era would be the....... and there's your answer.
Yep the AU bashers come out of the woodwork. I know what id prefer over the VT/X and the BA, an AU.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 04-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #94
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden has milked the football, meat pies, kangaroos..........etc,etc , Australias car to death for years working on the populas at an almost subliminal level, dad bought an Australian holden so sonny jim has to buy an Australian holden, its almost a habit thing.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #95
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire

But you also need to remember a few simple, forgotten details.

1978 Wheels Car of the Year : VB Commodore.
1988 Wheels Car of the Year : VN Commodore.
1993 Wheels Car of the Year : VR Commodore.
1997 Wheels Car of the Year : VT Commodore.
2006 Wheels Car of the Year : VE Commodore.
Holden Sponsored Magazine of the year: Wheels
Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #96
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

As the age old saying goes, young, dumb, & full of......

You get wiser as you get older. As they get older they turn to fords. The old ones, X series coupes etc.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #97
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yep the AU bashers come out of the woodwork. I know what id prefer over the VT/X and the BA, an AU.
I'm one of the few people who agree with you. AU is a great looking car. It's a shame more people don't think so.
Quote:
Them: What sort of car is it?
Me: A Falcon
Them: Oh yeah, what year?
Me: '03
Them: OH JEEZ THAT ISN'T ON OF THOSE UGLY AUs IS IT?!!!!
Me:
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #98
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep Falcons simply look sh!thouse post XB and Pre-BA.....I must say the commos have it all over the falcons in the looks department.....oh and don't even start me on the UTEs...

yeah yeah the AU is reliable and a great car to drive but are simply horrid.

Driving a 90s Falcon is a bit like taking home the fugly chick with a nice personality...
Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #99
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Driving a 90s Falcon is a bit like taking home the fugly chick with a nice personality...
Driving a 90's Commo is like bringing your boyfriend home to meet you extremely religious parents...who raised a good boy.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #100
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Driving a 90's Commo is like bringing your boyfriend home to meet you extremely religious parents...who raised a good boy.
LOL! A genuine LOL!

Rep to you son!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 04-02-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #101
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because Ford always half **** things, look at the 90's utes up till the AU. A 98/99 XR6/8 ute is basically an XF with an EL nose cone, dash cluster, and steering wheel..Give me a VU over that mismatched crap any day.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #102
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep Falcons simply look sh!thouse post XB and Pre-BA.....I must say the commos have it all over the falcons in the looks department.....oh and don't even start me on the UTEs...

So what is it that gives '90s Commos the edge over '90s Falcons?
Is it the Commodore's attractive, well made, ergonomic interiors? Those sleek lines, well thought-out facelifts and headlights that provide excellent illumination at night? Or is it the kidney grille and too-high rear lights that really does it?

IMO the EF/EL shape is one of the best looking modern cars sold in this country. There is just no comparison with the awkward VR/VS.
And why is it every thread these days turns into an AU bashing? It's been said a thousand times. AU = dog at release, but great looking in 2011.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #103
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Im glad its cool to own a commodore. Makes Falcons cheaper....
Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #104
ash68

p platers drive holdens because they cant afford a ford and to anyone that gives holdens a big rap . name a strong engine gearbox or diff that GMH have ever produced.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #105
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

The AU III Tickford XR8 wasn't thaaaaat bad... IMO....

This is my old one...

With the wheels i put on it, did come with the stock 17" Tickford one's,

Then...

Got the XHP's swapped to my BF that i traded the AU for.

The BF wheels actually look pretty good on the AU,

And this is my BF now...

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #106
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

AU ugly???? give me a TE or TS50 anyday :-)

I'll agree that the EA was a little on the disappointing side.
The EB and ED werent too bad.
The EF's I like and own one.
The EL's I like in XR form.

VB-VL I like if they are brock model or well presented and tastefully modified.
VN-VP I dont like the look of but motor and box are good for putting in other cars for fun.
VR I don't mind the look of if tastefully modified.
VS not a fan (ecotech sucks compared to the earlier buick V6)
VT are just plain ugly IMHO.
VX clubsport I dont mind.

Anyway enough from me.. The way I see it commodores are like clitoris's.. every c**t has one!

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #107
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Why do P Plater/Teens love Commodores so much?
BECAUSE VN'S ARE HORN!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #108
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
BECAUSE VN'S ARE HORN!

Smart alec, I knew you'd chime in at some point on this thread
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #109
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Smart alec, I knew you'd chime in at some point on this thread
I only just saw it. I'll refrain from turning it into another VN worship thread.

VN Commodores =

On another note, the VP is awesome too.

But I'm old and not a P plater.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #110
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I beg to differ.
I aspire to one day own an AUIII XR8 220 in in Meteorite grey with the rebel body kit, if only p-plate laws didn't disallow that.

Now back on topic, p-platers own Commodores because "Fords are $#!t". That is the mentality of many 17-19 year olds I know. That's all there is to it.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #111
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

ok ok lets just clear this up. ea is the ugliest falcon not au lol... au's arent the best looking from the factory but they look good modified.. and back on topic, its because one fooly *** dood said to his fooly *** bro that holdens is the shiz brah an den he sed da same thing to hiz fooly *** maaaatttteee! etc
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #112
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

my bad doubled up..
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #113
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The "in" crowd....year 12 it was all about VL turbo RB20 or somthing a rather....I was the only one with a falcon (AU wagon ), there was one VR and oddly enough a Merc and Vdub (assuming parents car..) amongst the usual japs.

Of course got the usual "Fords are *poo* because they are" crap.. At the end of the day i was driving one of the best vehicles ever to leave an Australian factory.

And when i finally leave sydney, ill probobly be looking for another project since there will be room for it (money allowing haha). Was thinking kingwood ute or XD/E ute. Maybe in wagon guise....
Of course id take the ford
Why? I know my way round one, i know their ability and durability and they are practical.
Being exposed to little twirps with the whole "fords a crap cos they are" rubbish makes my blood boil faster than a kettlefull on the sun. I feel this contributes to my passion for fords since im am yet to meet a d head ford owner. The people i have talked to, including friends, that are holden supporters, majority are quite childish. Needless to say there are good holden blokes.

Fords have been in the family forever, im told the first family ford was an 800$ yellow gli wagon (possibly an EA). Man i would have loved that for a project...

Holdens build quality, durability and driveability never impressed me and still dont, the looks of the car dont determine jack for me unless its just plain vile and drives as good as it looks.

I only bought the Subaru because Ford didnt have anything that met my criteria. But ill have my very own ford accompanying my soob in the coming years no worries.

Screw the crowd.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #114
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm really not too fussed with P plater and commodores the more they crash the less that will be on the raod.
My Mate was a Holden nut and even became a Holden mechanic he was a busy mechanic . Then wanted a change of scenery and move to my local ford Dealer and now he said he will never buy another Holden again He couldn't believe the the build difference between the to cars. He was doing warranty work on the VE's about 6-7 times a day at the Holden dealer and only working on the falcon a couple times a week. He finally listened to me
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #115
au adam

I had to love the day i was behind a VT Commodore in my EL Fairmont($650)run around.he was manual with sports exhaust and ripping through the gears and couldnt understand how my stock EL was quite easily keeping up with him.
Somr people just dont get it.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #116
DallasXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Its always a commodore. Or when you look at the centrelink car park, its filled with 10 year old commodores. People pick cars that match their personalities.
I took a great pic of about 20-25 fords out the front of centerlink... Ranging all thru the years...

That was the choice of carpark on one of the bigger cruises last year tho.. Made a great pic

Red P's
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #117
DallasXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Its always a commodore. Or when you look at the centrelink car park, its filled with 10 year old commodores. People pick cars that match their personalities.
I took a great pic of about 20-25 fords out the front of centerlink... Ranging all thru the years...

That was the choice of carpark on one of the bigger cruises last year tho.. Made a great pic

Red P's
Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #118
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Fords have been in the family forever, im told the first family ford was an 800$ yellow gli wagon (possibly an EA).
If it was an EA it would have been a GL, not a GLi.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #119
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
If it was an EA it would have been a GL, not a GLi.
Touchay, i was as high as the door handle back then though, cant remember if there was a little "i" or not

Subaru Outback '02
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #120
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
I'm one of the few people who agree with you. AU is a great looking car. It's a shame more people don't think so.
i'll agree with you there, and the reliability of an AU is fairly hard to beat. that's the main reason i bought mine. oh and the other reason was craig lowndes 00 au with the green headlight covers was the meanest looking car when i was like 10 years old lol.
Closed Thread