Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #91
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
I'm no tank expert, but I do rather like this one:

When you absolutely positively need to own the offensive battle, accept no substitute. I bet our 1st Armoured boys would like a few of these!!
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #92
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Brawl was a modified M1 Abrams. He looks pretty badass, if you ask me.
I believe that the Tank was actually made for XXX 2 and that Michael Bay just reused it for Brawl in Transformers.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #93
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
I believe that the Tank was actually made for XXX 2 and that Michael Bay just reused it for Brawl in Transformers.
Correct both times!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #94
rijruna

aaah Metalstorm,, brilliant concept & execution. An Aussie company that has a contract with the U.S. Navy for 'close support' to replace the 'vulcan'. Although the Vulcan is a great weapon, it doesnt even come close to what Metalstorm is capable of. AND,,, they make handguns too, & other sizes, based on the same principal. No longer using fulminate of mercury [or similar compounds] but an electric trigger. Ya,, i`ve know about them for a few years now & a good mate has shares in the company. Aussie Tech at the 'bleeding edge'. Well worth checking out if you have some spare cash btw. Some interesting vids if your interested.
http://www.metalstorm.com/

cheers
rij
rijruna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #95
ExAreSix
STi Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Unimog actually has 8 gears...
Actually, it has 4.
ExAreSix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #96
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Apache AH-64D Longbow

This is every tankers nightmare, with radar guided (fire-and-forget) Hellfire missiles that can reach out to 8km, 70mm FFAR's for taking out un-armoured targets and the deadly 30mm chain-gun which can drop shells within a 10m radius at 3500m !!

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #97
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAreSix
Actually, it has 4.
4 with a 2 speed transfer case, so it does have 8 different ratios.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #98
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Apache AH-64D Longbow

This is every tankers nightmare, with radar guided (fire-and-forget) Hellfire missiles that can reach out to 8km, 70mm FFAR's for taking out un-armoured targets and the deadly 30mm chain-gun which can drop shells within a 10m radius at 3500m !!
Iraqi farmer with a 7.62mm rifle disabled one with one shot during Gulf War 2. Funny thing was the media got to the crew before either the Iraqi army or the US Rescue Team for downed pilots.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #99
ExAreSix
STi Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TUte
4 with a 2 speed transfer case, so it does have 8 different ratios.
Yes, I know. Like I said, it has 4 gears.
ExAreSix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #100
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's 8 different gears available when you drive it regardless of the box configuration.

We'll agree to disagree.

Heap of junk gearbox anyway. I've lost count of the number I've replaced/repaired over the years.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #101
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

heres a few pictures with military machines from the run over from Adelaide to Sydney at RAAF Wagga and at Murrayville, Victoria.

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #102
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijruna
aaah Metalstorm,, brilliant concept & execution. An Aussie company that has a contract with the U.S. Navy for 'close support' to replace the 'vulcan'. Although the Vulcan is a great weapon, it doesnt even come close to what Metalstorm is capable of. AND,,, they make handguns too, & other sizes, based on the same principal. No longer using fulminate of mercury [or similar compounds] but an electric trigger. Ya,, i`ve know about them for a few years now & a good mate has shares in the company. Aussie Tech at the 'bleeding edge'. Well worth checking out if you have some spare cash btw. Some interesting vids if your interested.
http://www.metalstorm.com/

cheers
rij
Yep I loved some of the stuff they did I even bought shares in the company (sold them now and didnt do to well unfortunately) Basically they worked out how to fire projectiles electronically (40mm grenades, bullets etc) which means an incredible firing rate. Aussies also designed Nulka and a few other devices.

Those models look great lots of detail - well done

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #103
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I have a fascination with the MH-6 Little Birds and variants.

Rangers:

Delta operatives:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #104
HLC
Audi S3

These:

and these:

Have always been my fav. Only a cool 2.1 billion for a B-2 Bomber!!

awesome.
Old 13-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #105
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
Not many tank operators will be too happy to hear a few of these bad boys floating around in the sky!!

A-10 Gun Pack

A-10 with a burst from the Gun Pack
Well I'm glad someone beat me to it... but theres not hardly enough shown about the true engineering genius of the GAU-8 Avenger Gattling gun

Just watch these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY4lP...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crqSrQ9CA0Q

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2699348/gau_8_test_fire/

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/equip/gau-8.htm
GAU-8 Avenger
The AN/GAU-8 30mm Avenger seven-barrel gatling gun, mounted only on the A-10 attack jet, is a 30mm, 7 barrel gattling gun used primarily in the air to ground role as a soft target killer and tank buster. This aircraft is used for close-air support in attacking ground threats such as armored tanks and vehicles, and also serves as a forward air control observer for sighting ground threats and directing air strikes against enemy targets. The gun, mounted in the fuselage nose of the A/OA-10 Thunderbolt, is produced by [ex General Electric] Martin Marietta Armament Systems.
According to some sources, the GAU-8 fires 1,800 rounds per minute, with the higher 4200 rd/min rate having been deleted in the 1980s. However, the A-10 can only fire in high rate, which is 3900 rounds per minute. Low rate went out with the use of the batelle gas diverting device, and although the A-10 no longer uses the batelle device, the limit on high rate only has remained, since it made no tactical sense to fire in low rate and have to spend that much more time on final to get the same number of rounds on target.

The gun fires a mix of both high explosive incendiary (HEI) and armored piercing incendiary (API) ammunition. The PGU-13/B HEI High Explosive Incendiary round employs a standard M505 fuze and explosive mixture with a body of naturally fragmenting material that is effective against lighter vehicle and material targets. The PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary round has a lightweight body which contains a sub-calibre high density penetrator of Depleted Uranium (DU). In addition to its penetrating capability DU is a natural pyrophoric material which enhances the incendiary effects. The PGU-15/B TP Target Practice projectile simulates the exterior ballistics and provides a ballistic match to the HEI round and is used for pilot training.
A typical combat load for the GAU-8 would include 1,100 rounds of 30mm high explosive or armor piercing ammunition. The 30mm API is mixed with 30mm High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) at the factory and is called Combat Mix Ammunition. The ratio of API to HEI rounds in the Combat Mix is 4:1. Combat mix is a sequential mixture of DU and HEI rounds in which 1 HEI round followed by 4 DU rounds are fired by the AN/GAU-8 gatling gun. DU is the primary munition for the A/OA-10 in a combat environment.

Depleted uranium results from the enriching of natural uranium for use in nuclear reactors. Natural uranium is a slightly radioactive metal that is present in most rocks and soils as well as in many rivers and sea water. Natural uranium consists primarily of a mixture of two isotopes (forms) of uranium, Uranium-235 (U235) and Uranium-238 (U238), in the proportion of about 0.7 and 99.3 percent, respectively. Nuclear reactors require U235 to produce energy, therefore, the natural uranium has to be enriched to obtain the isotope U235 by removing a large part of the U238. Uranium-238 becomes DU, which is 0.7 times as radioactive as natural uranium. . Since DU has a half-life of 4.5 billion years, there is very little decay of those DU materials. When manufactured as 30mm rounds, each DU projectile contains approximately 4,650 grains [0.66 pounds (lbs)] of extruded DU, alloyed with 0.75 weight percent titanium. The projectile is encased in a 0.8 mm-thick aluminum shell as the final DU round.
During Operation DESERT STORM the Air Force fired 30mm Armor Piercing Incendiary (API) munitions using a depleted uranium [DU] penetrator slug from the GAU-8 Gatling gun mounted on the A-10 Aircraft. The 148 A-10s that deployed to Saudi Arabia flew 8,077 combat sorties. The Air Force fired a total of 783,514 rounds of 30mm API in the Gulf War. Since each round contains approximately 0.66 pounds of DU, the Air Force expended a total of 259 tons of DU in the Gulf. The armor-piercing capability of the DU projectiles fired from A/OA-10s proved exceptionally effective in countering threats from the Iraqi tanks so that a successful ground offensive could then be achieved.

At times 30mm DU rounds misfire in the A-10’s GAU-8 cannon. These "hangfires" have to be cleared and removed from the gun barrel, potentially exposing ground crews to airborne DU. Technical data available to maitenance crews does not provide an accurate means for determining the status of rounds in an unsafe/jammed gun, and revisions are in progress.
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #106
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Air Force fired a total of 783,514 rounds of 30mm API in the Gulf War. Since each round contains approximately 0.66 pounds of DU, the Air Force expended a total of 259 tons of DU in the Gulf.
WOW. Thats crazy! Not to mention the 3900rpm fire rate
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #107
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two of my favourites

The Harrier Jump Jet

Chenowth FAV (Fast Attack Vehicle)

Some other cool pics

The Super Hummer H1 lol

M198 155mm Howitzer Artillery

B-525 Fortress and its payload

F-14 Tomcat - fully loaded

Last edited by Fev; 13-01-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #108
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I'm nearly done converting my 1/18 scale UH-60 Blackhawk into a 160th SOAR (Nightstalkers) MH-60L.
I cut open the small side windows and made my own swiveling minigun mounts.
Just need to finish scratch-building the nose-mounted FLIR radomes and added details to the miniguns and fuselage bottom. Nor sure if I want to add the refueling probe yet.

Rangers in the doors.

Delta Force operatives on an MH-6 Little Bird (Rangers on the opposite side).

The good old Humvee workhorses (scratchbuilt 50-cal MG mount).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #109
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

in Gulf War 2, the USAF straffed buildings too. Remeber watching this live on TV.

The A10 is also known as the Thunderbolt II after the P47 from WW2 which was used heavily against ground targets in Europe.
the A10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_2Vz_x1LdM

and one on the P47. Love this plane!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shsxuauQA3w
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #110
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Road block? Or ambush?

Old 18-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #111
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

It's a road block to cause a the convoy to block up the car's allowing the opfor to initiate a possible remote IED... :-)

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #112
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TUte
There's 8 different gears available when you drive it regardless of the box configuration.

We'll agree to disagree.

Heap of junk gearbox anyway. I've lost count of the number I've replaced/repaired over the years.

Still better than an R banger box...

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 18-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #113
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Unimog actually has 8 gears, 4 of which are low range so during normal road driving you take off in 5th (4th if up a hill or heavily loaded). It is true they and a seperate reverse gear that once engaged gives all the same ratios in reverse as they have in forward.

Top speed due to the low ratios (8th is not real high) is about 80-90 km/h and a strange little quirk is you can get more speed out of them on a highway if you use the hand throttle.

They are primarily RWD with selectable 4WD that gives a 50/50 torque split, they also have diff lock which locks both diffs and the transfer case solid for crawling up or through just about anything.

Australian unimog were an excellent vehicle although their cross country capability were limited by the tyres fitted. The australian army was too tight to spend the cash on the drive on flat balloon tyres that were originally fitted. Instead they fitted a more conventional cross country truck tyre similar to what was fitted to the Mack R series that we also had.
8 speed split, no high or low range....and taking off in 5th...? (even whilst empty is just ridiculous...) also, "heavily" loaded, you best be taking of in 1st, espicially goin up a hill... and even with omnitrac tyres they're still pretty darn good off road.
Oh, and we're still using R bangers

Old 19-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #114
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres a youtube clip of a Russian tank captured by the Germans during WW2. They kept it for themselves and marked it up with the German Cros but somehow it ended up in the bottom of a lake, perfectly preserved by the cold water and mud.
Google the full story, very interesting. From memory I think they got it going again, not sure on that though.
I love looking for stories on old war birds too that have been pulled out, like the Spit recently in France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhK1eXDAfgQ

Last edited by jaydee; 19-02-2011 at 07:09 PM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #115
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Heres a pic of I got with a King Tiger in La Glieze, Belgium. It was left behind with a heap of other armor once fuel ran out.

Apparently it was used as target practice by the US troops once captured, but nothing penetrated it.

This user likes this post:
Old 25-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #116
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tail art I had to paint on to the CO's jet in 2006. I hope I never have to mask out chequers again!!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #117
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks really cool, good job
Old 17-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #118
rdmr

Default Re: Military Machines Thread (No 56k)

Came across this thread via a google search.
Has anyone got any pics of tanks or what 's left of them in their travels of Australia? Any for sale?
I'm restoring a ww2 Ford Blitz at the moment and love old armour. Even the old Bren carrier I would love to own one day. Anyone know of any around in paddocks or sheds?
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #119
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend has a heap of ex military stuff in a shed. No tanks but just about everything else including a big spotlight.

& don't worry they are being restored slowly. His grandson has got the bug & has restored this blitz for his HSC project.

He is now working on a 6 wheel dodge
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #120
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as for ex military stuff lying around I have spotted these by the side of the road on my adventures

Some sort of Australian Tank at Seamore in Victoria

& I'm sure you have all heard of this one at Holbrook
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post