Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you think government(s) should bring in incentives to buy OZ
Yes, they should encourage people to support local jobs and industry 120 85.11%
No, the local car makers get enough help - they should adapt to the market 21 14.89%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #91
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Of course we can compete ....... its about being smart about what we produce and how it is produced. There has always been the cheaper countries producing cheaper products and there will always be countries that produce high end product. This is all not new to how the world works since the days of import and export.

Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Jaguar, Fiat, Aston Martin, Rover ..... etc are competing against the Chinese? Go to China and count how many Audi's and VW's are driving about. The Germans can sell A8's to the Chinese ..... but its all too hard for Australia? Don't think so.

The problem is some throw their hands up in the air and say its all too hard while others just get on with doing something better than their opposition. I think the problem is that some just have there hand out saying "Give me money ... rebate ... handout ....... as an incentive" The incentive should be in how good or enjoyable the end product is rather than how much it cost. This fact can be forgotten quickly if the enjoyment is still there.

I compete with 100% Chinese imports in what I do ...... and so far have survived. I do not compete on price alone. I do it on quality but still have to be reasonable.

No way no are we stuffed. Far from it. Just some have already given up thinking they are better than others.
Well said.

Its about about perception and point of difference...

Dont compete on price, compete on quality and being better/different.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #92
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What really annoys me regarding this "Buy Australian Debate'
Is we as a country can import fruit and vegies from other countries who have less guidelines and health regs than our own country, for much less than it costs us as a country to grow
Look at all the largish farms that throw tonnes and tonnes of fruit and vegies out every year,because the cheaper stuff is imported
Look as well at some of the great inventions that were hatched here,do we support that and promote them,no we dont
If we supported "australian products" as such , the $2 junket shops would be non exsistant
Alot is made overseas due to cheaper wages
When i was in the steel trade, it was cheaper to buy "BHP Steel" of shore
(yep made here) that what it was to buy in Australia
Some products i make are made overseas and imported (including ALL associated costs)and are landed here way under what i can make them for
Most people buy on price, so how can i compete with that ???
Lower my costs to a 0% profit margin to compete ???
Might as well shut the doors, oops thats whats happening to many small manufacturers here already
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #93
JimNiki
71Mach1

Our company is fighting the govt to try to stop them doing contracts with the chinese to make the uniforms for our armed forces. There's no bloody patriotism anymore in senior politics. These morons needs to be voted out and sent to live in China forever.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
I think blind Freddy knows that.
Well no they don't. Cause its a case of oh the sky is falling the sky is falling. Alot of wealth has been created in Australia from Asia (and not from the mining industry).
Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #95
Carby

Of course it has! - but it suits them -they need the items to fuel their growth. But look at Bananas to Japan - 50% tariff, apples, 20% and as mentioned above we let fruit in from Countries where health standards are questionable, I don't think we should have out and out protectionism but we really should be a lot smater in looking after or local industries that actually comply with health and safety standards for a start.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post