Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #91
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STHSV8
plus Bud Tingwell is dead, that can't help either.
I'm fairly sure even Bud Tingwell would rise from the dead to do a Falcon commercial.

The anniversary logo looks good. should put to rest the fears Ford aren't taking the birthday seriously.
Old 31-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #92
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden fans continue putting obama motors bowties on your cars and leave this alone alright

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #93
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
holden fans continue putting obama motors bowties on your cars and leave this alone alright
Nice !
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #94
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford Falcon homes in on half century

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 April 2010 By MARTON PETTENDY
Aussie Falcon’s 50th anniversary will be just the first Blue Oval milestone in 2010

AUSTRALIA’S longest surviving automotive nameplate will notch up half a century at the crease on Monday (June 28) and Ford Australia has produced a 50th anniversary Falcon logo to mark its unbeaten innings.

Released yesterday, precisely 85 years after the Ford Motor Company of Australia was officially established (on March 31, 1925), Ford says the logo will titivate “a range of product and celebratory activities” in the Falcon’s 50th year.

Among them will be a range of facelifted Falcon models powered by upgraded six-cylinder and (new) 5.0-litre ‘Coyote’ V8 engines that meet the tighter new Euro 4 emissions standard, which binds all car-makers from July 1 - three days after the Falcon turns 50.

Representing the first facelift for the FG Falcon since it went on sale in May 2008, the 2010 Falcon sedans and utes will be Ford’s direct answer to Holden’s MY10 Commodore sedan, ute and wagon line-up, which went on sale last September and will be joined by a 3.0-litre E85 ethanol-capable version late this year.

Ford’s new liquid injection LPG Falcon has has been pushed back from October to early 2011 and, while Holden is yet to commit to a Euro 4-compliant replacement for its LPG Commodore, Ford now says its first ever four-cylinder Falcon (powered by FoMoCo’s new direct-injection turbocharged EcoBoost four) could also be just a year away.

“Falcon has a history of being first to market with a wide variety of technology and safety advancements,” said Ford Australia marketing, sales and service vice-president Beth Donovan.

“We will continue that tradition in the next 12 to 18 months with the introduction of an all-new liquid phase injection LPG system and the world's first rear-wheel-drive EcoBoost four-cylinder engine.”
While Ford has also promised to produce the first diesel Territory in 2011, the Falcon news comes just a week after Ford announced it will eliminate the longest-running Falcon model ever, the 1998 AU Falcon-based BFIII wagon, which will be directly replaced by a diesel-powered version of the imported Mondeo wagon from July.

It also follows increased speculation about the future of the Falcon, which Ford says will not be decided before 2012.

It has, however, declared that as part of its new ‘One Ford’ global model strategy, the current (seventh-generation) Falcon will be the last to be designed and engineered exclusively in and for Australia, which means the next all-new Falcon – due by 2015 – is likely to be based on either Ford’s next-generation (rear-drive) Mustang or (front/all-wheel drive) Taurus.

The first Aussie Falcon – like the model of the same name that was produced by the Ford Motor Company of Argentina between 1962 and 1991 – was itself based on an American design, but the Falcon model name only lasted a decade in the US, where it was discontinued in 1970.

Australia’s inaugural XK Falcon went into production on April 28, 1960 at Broadmeadows, almost exactly two months after Ford Australia’s first straight six was produced at Ford’s engine plant (April 29, 1960), and went on sale on September 14 that year.

Apart from its Melbourne assembly plant and Geelong engine factory, 2010 will also mark 85 years since Ford Australia commenced production of the Model T (on July 4, 1925), although Ford vehicles have been sold in Australia since 1904.

Ford’s Fairlane nameplate, which was killed off in Australia in December 2007, dates back even longer than the Falcon, to 1959. While it was originally also based on a US model of the same name, some versions were imported, handing the title of ‘longest-running nameplate in Australian motoring history’ to the Falcon.

Meantime, Ford’s now arch-rival General Motors purchased Holden Motor Builders to form General Motors-Holden's Ltd (GM-H) in 1931 and the company produced the first “all-Australian” car in 1948 – the 48-215 ‘FX’ Holden.

While that was 12 years before the Falcon, the first (VB) Commodore did not roll off Holden’s production line for another three decades, in 1978.

As with the Falcon, Commodore sales are at their lowest level ever after a decade of decline in Australia’s large-car market as customers downsize or buy SUVs instead, yet the big Holden has remained Australia’s most popular car for the past 13 years.

“There is no doubt that Falcon has been a true icon of the Australian motoring scene since 1960,” continued Ms Donovan. “2010 is a very special year for Ford in Australia. In addition to celebrating the 50th birthday of Falcon, we are also marking our 85th year as a company in Australia.”

Designed to commemorate its five-decade milestone, Ford says the 50th anniversary Falcon logo was inspired by the original Falcon bird logo from the early 1960s.

"We wanted to recognise the heritage in the original Falcon motifs of the early sixties, but it was also imperative that we created a new design that reflects the contemporary and dynamic vehicle that Falcon represents today and will tomorrow,” said Ford Australia design manager Todd Willing.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576F7007FD467
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #95
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There is one of those XP Falcon Squire wagons getting around the Brisbane area with most of its fake wood missing off the side. It looks like it's been used as someone's bomb vehicle. I hope its owners realise how valuable that car is and that it's no ordinary XP so they take extra car of it.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #96
burnz
VFII SS UTE

50th anniversary, isn't that diamond??
so a diamond coloured fifty, I6 with all the extras at no extra should be good.
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #97
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Nah 50th is gold

A gold 50th anniversary XR6 Turbo would be nifty. 50 years of Aussie Falcons and 50 years of the I6 being made in Australia. How far we have come.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #98
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope they do something similar to the 75th anniversary celebrations, that was an orsom event.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #99
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which raises another question ... when will we find out details about the engines that will be installed post 1 July? Considering that it is now April, I would have thought that some details would have emerged by now.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #100
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315

So the 144 ci motor was first made on 29/4/ 1960.
And the first inaugural falcon went in to production on 28/4/1960. two months after the motor ? something wrong :
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #101
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
So the 144 ci motor was first made on 29/4/ 1960.
And the first inaugural falcon went in to production on 28/4/1960. two months after the motor ? something wrong :
Building up stock for first production run.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #102
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Building up stock for first production run.

Yes but witch is the true date there is 'two months' difference. and it has 29/4/60 for the motor and 28/4/60 for the car
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #103
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I think this is where you will see XR50.
AH! How did I let that one slip.

That was TM'd ages ago IIRC, it would be really nice to see a coyote XR8!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #104
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Yes but witch is the true date there is 'two months' difference. and it has 29/4/60 for the motor and 28/4/60 for the car
29/4/60 is the date the first engine left the line, and 29/6/60 is the date of the first car. I got these dates from photos of the events, you know with the "First... " banner, which also have the dates on them.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #105
HSE2

Hmmm and the date for the first E4 is said to be around the 27/4/10.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #106
mm31
Starter Motor

Ive just been given the job of getting xk falcon no1 ready for the anniversary
have 3 week to get her into shape it only has 220 miles on the clock
love my job (for this week any way)
mm31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #107
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...YPage&site=FOA
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #108
Dodge
i like to be stroked

the badge will go good on my mini cooper s , its their 50th too
Old 03-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #109
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm31
Ive just been given the job of getting xk falcon no1 ready for the anniversary
have 3 week to get her into shape it only has 220 miles on the clock
love my job (for this week any way)
What's the plan, just a detail or a bit of a freshen up?

Here's some photos I took of it last time I went to FDC http://www.projectxk.net/photo-galle...scoveryCentre/

Unfortunately my XK's nowhere near ready to go for the 50th - but mine's a 62 model anyway, so I'll have it ready for IT's 50th!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #110
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

If any one is on the Sunshine Coast and has an XK please let me know as we would like to display on in our showroom.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #111
mm31
Starter Motor

it's not running at the moment needs a fuel pump and the brakes are stuffed plus they want it roadworthied and registered otherwise its in pretty good nic
Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #112
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Welcome to the Forums mm31! Good to hear about car 1. Has it ever been registered before?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #113
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford have put a big billboard out the front of the toolroom in Geelong facing the highway. It has the 50th anniversary XR6 on it with the slogan "For 50 years we've been Geelongs engine room".
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #114
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
Stands to reason Holden boy's put Chev badges on Holden's. It a tradition started by GM in the U.S itself when the three very first 48/215's ever made were assembled and shipped to Australia from America complete with Chev identification tags. The Commodore guy's are only upholding tradition....!!! Either that or they're embarrassed to own a Holden.

I hope Ford has something planned for this landmark occaision. 50 years in the auto world is a long time.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #115
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford have put a big billboard out the front of the toolroom in Geelong facing the highway. It has the 50th anniversary XR6 on it with the slogan "For 50 years we've been Geelongs engine room".
Nice! That is some good local pride.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #116
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Received the My Ford mag and it has a nice little 4 page article on 50 years.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #117
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Any chance you could post up a photo mate?
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #118
mm31
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Welcome to the Forums mm31! Good to hear about car 1. Has it ever been registered before?
car was sold and registered in 1960 from what ive been told fords came to thier senses and bought it back not long after and put in storage. hasn't run in about 15 to 20 years.
i was cruising the plant in it yesterday it drives like new except the brakes are still a bit dicky.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #119
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

i remember years ago seeing a poster / picture of every falcon aus produced up until the au model... looked great! especially seeing the evolution of the model... would be good to find that again and add the ba /f and fg model on there
Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #120
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
i remember years ago seeing a poster / picture of every falcon aus produced up until the au model... looked great! especially seeing the evolution of the model... would be good to find that again and add the ba /f and fg model on there
I have that poster. Will take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post