Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #91
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Bugger it mate - The ACTU only lets me read one book a year!
So long as it doesnt have the word manifesto in the title lol.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #92
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Whats strange about that comment is that from my experience (being a uni "bum" and working casual jobs and spending so much time on AFF) is that the laboring jobs pay pretty damn well.

Yeah its crap and hard work, but its out there. Ive got two jobs, one is awesome but its not a career path, and the other is just crap laboring in a factory moving stock. Any monkey could do it, and some do!

Why do I do it? Because I want more just like FPVGT says...............
Casual labouring pays relatively well, yes. Do you see yourself doing it until you're 65?

Just out of interest, do you know what employment instrument you're employed under? Collective agreement, AWA, common law contract?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #93
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
So long as it doesnt have the word manifesto in the title lol.
A bit of Marx might do you good, mate - What ever happened to the greatest good for the greatest number?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #94
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Casual labouring pays relatively well, yes. Do you see yourself doing it until you're 65?

Just out of interest, do you know what employment instrument you're employed under? Collective agreement, AWA, common law contract?
No of course not, but there are a few people who are over 50 there doing jobs that dont require alot of strength.

No I have no idea what employment instrument I have, and you know what, I dont care. If I get sacked then I stuffed up and deserved it, if the company goes bust well then thats bad luck. Ill move to the next crap job until I can finish my studies and move on.

And what does this have to do with the budget? Is that not more on the policy side of things? (yes I realise that budgets support policies).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #95
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Quote:
No I have no idea what employment instrument I have, and you know what, I dont care. If I get sacked then I stuffed up and deserved it, if the company goes bust well then thats bad luck. .
What if the company found someone who'd do your job for less though?

Anyways, this has become less of a discussion about the budget and more a political debate. Where were we?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #96
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Thats your perception tho, based on what you see on tv and in the media.

Our drivers are all legal hours, no drugs and home every second night, and most of them are skinny from smoking
so its my word against yours . i know 4 truck drivers hwho have all worked for differant companies and have left, been sacked , or just moved on , none of them were not forced to do night shift, after a few months . all have been sacked at on time or another , all do at least 70 hours a week , and 2 take drugs to stay awake . all claim they have had to break the rules and rort the books to keepthere job . and all have driven unroadworthy vehicles . and all i respect as having very hard unworkable conditions . in which i probably wouldn't do .
its funny how someone on the net can just say something and believe it .
Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #97
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
No of course not, but there are a few people who are over 50 there doing jobs that dont require alot of strength.

No I have no idea what employment instrument I have, and you know what, I dont care. If I get sacked then I stuffed up and deserved it, if the company goes bust well then thats bad luck. Ill move to the next crap job until I can finish my studies and move on.

Here here, thank you! :
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #98
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
so its my word against yours . i know 4 truck drivers hwho have all worked for differant companies and have left, been sacked , or just moved on , none of them were not forced to do night shift, after a few months . all have been sacked at on time or another , all do at least 70 hours a week , and 2 take drugs to stay awake . all claim they have had to break the rules and rort the books to keepthere job . and all have driven unroadworthy vehicles . and all i respect as having very hard unworkable conditions . in which i probably wouldn't do .
its funny how someone on the net can just say something and believe it .

Hey i know thats the case for alot of drivers, but with the bigger companies taking over like Toll and Patrick, this sorta **** is a thing of the past, not to mention the way the laws are changing.

I was just using transport as an example for the money aspect and the fact that you dont need to be a brain surgeon to make money.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #99
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

good point, i think the pollies are all under collective agreements aren't they . you know where they get to meet and vote on what they get . as a group. perhaps they should all be put on awa's
Old 09-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #100
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
A bit of Marx might do you good, mate - What ever happened to the greatest good for the greatest number?
That's exactly what laisezz faire delivers..... most of the time

;)
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #101
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
What if the company found someone who'd do your job for less though?

Anyways, this has become less of a discussion about the budget and more a political debate. Where were we?
Your right, we are off track, but I will answer the question then leave it.

If they found someone else then thats their choice, its their business not mine. I would be annoyed but what can you do other than move on and find another job.

The budget looks good, and the education fund is interesting and should improve things later down the track aswell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #102
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
well in 20 minutes the budget will be revealed to australia . so i thought i'd start a thread to see what people think . post here . i'm looking forward to what it reveals . being an election year and all .

lets keep this thread non political, and not turn it into a debate about political parties , and therefore we may be able to keep the thread open for some interesting feedback . cheers
Well we know it is a good item , needs some mroe in education dorectly but over all it's made the libs look VERY good .

All over red kevy
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #103
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont you mean Dexter??

Lol
Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #104
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Whys that, coz you want high country debt, a **** poor economy and interest rates of 17 %??

Im over the whole political debate and im sick of people whinging that they are hard done by, everyone has a choice, people have a choice to work when they are at school and gain a proper education, people have a choice to go to university. Lifes all about choices, some people will always blame the government, their parents or someone else because they aren't financially strong. Im not talking about battlers who work hard, manager their money well and try or people with specific dissabilities who are hard done by, im talking about the typical Australian who whinges because they have no money to buy a nice car or house yet smokes a packet of cigarettes a day and spends $250 a week on alcohol! These same people are usually the ones who think the worlds ****ed on them and thats why they have nothing.

To me there are 2 types of Australian, ones that are easily lead by Union movements and future job security. The others are those who look forward to buying a house of their own, and think about the long term viability of their futures..

Its an easy choice for me, Labor had this country that far up a tree in debt it was about to sink, its time people actually respected John Howard and his party for what hes done, especially for middleclass Australians who do try and also small businesses. Small Business Owners are probarly the winners at the moment, but these very same people are the ones who work 7 days a week, have very few holidays and have taken risks. Therefore they deserve to do well.
Very well said. People need to learn how to budget. The vast majority of "battlers" out there have large cd/dvd collections and the latest ring tones on their mad new phones which they signed up to 24 months for. This budget and the last 10 budgets which preceeded it, have given us Australians the chance to make it for ourselves. Many people have gone from nil to millions, not because it was given to them, but because they made tough decisions and took risks and worked very very hard for it.

And to the person who wants high inflation, there is not an economist in the world that would agree with you. Inflation drives prices higher and therefore means your money is worth less. Wages don't follow suit. If inflation was to rise sharply, all those middle class families who are just hanging in there would be blown out of the water. That's economics.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #105
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im over the whole political debate and im sick of people whinging that they are hard done by, everyone has a choice, people have a choice to work when they are at school and gain a proper education, people have a choice to go to university. Lifes all about choices, some people will always blame the government, their parents or someone else because they aren't financially strong. Im not talking about battlers who work hard, manager their money well and try or people with specific dissabilities who are hard done by, im talking about the typical Australian who whinges because they have no money to buy a nice car or house yet smokes a packet of cigarettes a day and spends $250 a week on alcohol! These same people are usually the ones who think the worlds ****ed on them and thats why they have nothing.

To me there are 2 types of Australian, ones that are easily lead by Union movements and future job security. The others are those who look forward to buying a house of their own, and think about the long term viability of their futures..

Its an easy choice for me, Labor had this country that far up a tree in debt it was about to sink, its time people actually respected John Howard and his party for what hes done, especially for middleclass Australians who do try and also small businesses. Small Business Owners are probarly the winners at the moment, but these very same people are the ones who work 7 days a week, have very few holidays and have taken risks. Therefore they deserve to do well.
I agree with you.

The problem with the world is we all think we are worth more than what we get. It's natural, hell I even think that to some degree myself. If you feel hard done then get out and do better for yourself. I go to school all week and work all week. I was doing 7 days a week for ages. I do HEAPS of overtime that I do not get paid for but I do it because it needs to be done.

I have not had more than 7 days (concurrent and not including public holidays) off in over 5 years and I'm only 20. It's tough now but I'm making a life for myself without expecting anyone to hand it to me.

As you said a lot of these so called "battlers" have made improper lifestyle decisions and that's why they are where they are. You can't whinge about how bad living is when you drive a V8, smoke like a chimney, and drink the hooch as much as said V8 drinks petrol all whilst living in a government house. Not to mention having kids like it's a game and expect the government to pay for it. -believe me I've seen plenty of it!

I think a lot of the way this society is today is because they know that if they happen to get into trouble that the government has their back. Problem with that is it's grossly abused and people get complacent.

I know it seems somewhat funny that I say this because a lot complain they aint getting help. Well I bet you it's a shitload more than my parents and their parents ever got.

Why bother to be independant for yourself when you can expect handouts from the government?-DOLE BLUDGERS are the best example of this!

Maybe that is why my parents and others like them from disadvantaged backgrounds are doing good for themselves-the only thing they could rely on was themselves?

Nothing wrong with accepting a little help but you also have to be prepared to do a bit to help yourself out.

You can't sit back and wait for things to come to you, you have to go out and do it for yourself and be wise with your lifestyle choices.

I know I may be a young bloke with a long way to go but if I make the wrong decisions and have a hard life later on it is only my fault not anyone elses!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #106
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bugangle Sqiggidy, buckna moog!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM   #107
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Bugangle Sqiggidy, buckna moog!
Mate, kank nunkle wizly wop jul puk.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #108
Chilla

How times change. I left school before I was fifeteen. Two days later I was working in a service station, pumping petrol, washing parts and any othe ****** job going. Worked 5.5 days a week for 4 quid ($8). After six months was apprenticed as a mechanic.
Finished my trade (5 years) and joined the navy, 6 years. Married at 22, first child at 24. Had $1100 as deposit on a house in sydney. Good homes could be bought for 5 to $6000. The banks would not lend the difference. Menzies had a credit squeeze going.
Eventually bought a house in Leura in the blue mountains. Price $4200. The old guy who owned it was dieing but loaned us the difference at 7.5 % reducible. I was earning $50 a week as a mechanic and by this had two kids. I worked till I was 62 when I had to quit due to service related disabilities (Vietnam). I am now on a TPI pension.
These days the same banks are throwing money at young couples, and houses are priced well into 6 figure sums. Miss a couple of payments and see how accomadating they are then.
The money that was being thrown around last night came from the pockets of the workers in this country. Big business can afford to pull all sorts of shonky moves to 'minimize' tax. AWA'S will assist big business to maintain the status quo.
The GST, an insidious tax voted for by the workers, and fuel taxes along with the mining boom, are whats making Howard and Costello look like financial wizards. These are the good times but remember the wheel always turns full circle. Read up on the 'great depression'. That scenario can basically happen overnight
For what it's worth, become very cagey with your money. If you can afford to invest some every payday put it into superanuation, or a fixed trust. Even if the fixed trust is not highest % available it is fairly 'safe'. Where as the stock market etc are a gamble, and need money behind you if your going to gamble.
Forget the brand new cars at 35 to $45000 and buy secondhand low mileage. Put the difference to your super. Every time your tempted to buy something, stop, ask yourself do I need this? If you do, pay cash. If you cant pay cash, simple you dont need it.
Sorry to bore you all s**tless. Just remember be careful out there!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #109
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Wise words Chilla.

And hopefully put an end to the right wing love in, you guys make me laugh.

Matters little what the current government puts in it's election budget, by the end of the year they are gone, gone, gone!

You heard it here first!!! :evil3:
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #110
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
You heard it here first!!! :evil3:
Gee that's funny... could have sowrn the polls have been calling it for a few months now?

Life on the left - never let the facts get in the way of a good ideology
Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #111
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
LOL who's facts?

After the current government lose the next election, you and the many others who share a similar ideology will lament the fact. You will wonder what else the governement had to do to stay in power, "we have never had it so good!!"
Or as posters in this thread are already saying, anyone not voting for/happy with the current government must be stupid.

So round and round the "good ideology" goes.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #112
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey i know thats the case for alot of drivers, but with the bigger companies taking over like Toll and Patrick, this sorta **** is a thing of the past, not to mention the way the laws are changing.

I was just using transport as an example for the money aspect and the fact that you dont need to be a brain surgeon to make money.
Exactly, the "resources boom" is another example of the money to be made with a little commitment.
My brother in law left his farmhand job last year that payed about $25k and moved to western NSW to work in a mine. He is now earning $80K plus.
However there are some personal choices he had to make to earn this money.
He has to work hard and turn up regularly
He has to live somewhere most people would find undesirable
He has to avoid being caught up in the local drug culture

People have opportunities, it's just that some of the better opportunities have a personal price. After another 12 months he will have enough experiece to move somewhewre nicer and earn even more but you've got to do the hard yards first.
The biggest issue his employer has is finding people who are prepared to work hard, most quit after a short time because they don't like making the sacrifices mentioned above.

Regards,
Tote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #113
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gee that's funny... could have sowrn the polls have been calling it for a few months now?

If there is a change of govt this election you can be sure of one thing, the word "surplus" wont be used in a budget speach again... LOL
Get used to hearing the words "spiraling foreign debt" AGAIN...

Old 10-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #114
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Meh, this has turned into a "who's going to win the next election? who's got the best ideology?" thread. I haven't seen a single post about the actual 2007 budget now for a long time.

Thread closed.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Closed Thread